inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Peter, Paul, & Mary

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/10/07 at 4:24 pm

Any Peter, Paul, & Mary fans out there? I love these guys. Last night I was watching a show on PBS about that. It is hard to believe they have been together for 40 years. I think they are timeless. It is like their voices were made for each other and the political statements they make with their music is great.

I have a few of their albums & a VHS tape of a Christmas concert they did on PBS (I recorded it off the t.v.). I would have to say that my absolute favorite is the Christmas song A Soulin'. Yeah, funny that a Pagan's fav is a Christmas tune. lol

Cat

Subject: Re: Peter, Paul, & Mary

Written By: loki 13 on 12/10/07 at 4:39 pm

Cat, Karma --- you did it to me again, you mention a long forgotten band and I had to immediately go to
youtube to see if they had a video of my favorite Peter, Paul and Mary song....Right Field. They did, and
I enjoyed watching this video. Thanks for jogging my memory.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=q3Gqp_hYbpg

Written By: Paul on 12/10/07 at 4:51 pm

I'm not a terribly huge fan, but they've made some wonderful records over the years...

For some reason, they were never fantastically big in Britain and to this day, their output on CD is rarely released here...

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/10/07 at 7:05 pm

I grew up listening to Peter, Paul and Mary.  My favorite song is Puff The Magic Dragon.  My Mom's is "If I Had a Hammer".

Written By: whistledog on 12/10/07 at 7:07 pm

I loved their version of "Leaving on A Jet Plane" much better than the version by John Denver, who wrote the song.  I believe Denver originally wrote the song for PP&M if i am not mistaken

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/10/07 at 7:18 pm

They're one of the classic/oldie artists that I heard growing up, so I came to like them too, just in a little bit of a different way. "Blowing in the Wind" is a pleasant, airy ballad, and "Puff the Magic Dragon" is a nice fairytale, even if kinda sad.

I know they're still around, but did they actually come out with new material after their peak (about 1963 to the early '70s)?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/11/07 at 12:09 pm

They're one of the classic/oldie artists that I heard growing up, so I came to like them too, just in a little bit of a different way. "Blowing in the Wind" is a pleasant, airy ballad, and "Puff the Magic Dragon" is a nice fairytale, even if kinda sad.

I know they're still around, but did they actually come out with new material after their peak (about 1963 to the early '70s)?

They have been coming out with new stuff continuously. http://www.starpulse.com/Music/Peter_Paul_and_Mary/Discography/Index/P2102/1/

However, most of their later stuff is not quite mainstream which is a shame. They even did a song about Matthew Sheppard called "Jesus on the wire".

Cat

Written By: lorac61469 on 12/11/07 at 12:23 pm

I love Peter, Paul and Mary.

I try to watch the Christmas show on PBS every year.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/11/07 at 3:09 pm

For those of you who are interested, this is my absolutely favorite PP&M song:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rleWR6_0mq4&feature=related

Cat

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/11/07 at 5:12 pm

For those of you who are interested, this is my absolutely favorite PP&M song:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rleWR6_0mq4&feature=related

Cat

The harmony is just breathtaking!!! :)

Written By: danootaandme on 12/13/07 at 6:07 am

Blowin' in the Wind pleasant and airy?  Humma mumma have you ever listened to the lyrics?

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/13/07 at 5:50 pm

Blowin' in the Wind pleasant and airy?  Humma mumma have you ever listened to the lyrics?

Oh yeah, it's a song about political changes in the world and asking for peace (i.e. "How many deaths will it take 'till he knows too many people have died?"). It was way ahead of its time too, both in terms of the activist message and the sound. It doesn't sound like anything else from 1963 - it's almost like singer songwriter music from the early '70s!

Check for new replies or respond here...