inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Fashion Fads that shouldn't have!

Written By: Brigitte on 12/29/07 at 1:10 pm

I was wondering what retro or vintage fashion you really couldn't stand to see people wear.
For me it was Acid washed jeans that were way too tight and the 'preppy' look, ugh!

Subject: Re: Fashion Fads that shouldn't have!

Written By: danootaandme on 12/29/07 at 1:30 pm

This should not be on the head of anyone over the age of 6. Sadly some do hang on to the 'do.

http://www.thebudgetfashionista.com/images/pauleyperrette-thumb.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/29/07 at 1:36 pm

Striped or plaid pants.  8-P

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:4XrhxDcwp1eR2M:http://www.alibaba.com/sitemap/archives/images/qu50080339bo_Ladies_Cotton_Corduroy_Denim_Striped_Pants.jpg

Also that baggy look with the pants going down to the knees. I see kids trying to walk with pants like that and they are really going to have some serious back pain in later years.

Cat

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/29/07 at 3:39 pm

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:4XrhxDcwp1eR2M:http://www.alibaba.com/sitemap/archives/images/qu50080339bo_Ladies_Cotton_Corduroy_Denim_Striped_Pants.jpg

Also that baggy look with the pants going down to the knees. I see kids trying to walk with pants like that and they are really going to have some serious back pain in later years.

Cat
I agree, Cat.  If your back pocket is behind your knee, your pants are toodamnlow!
My fashion fad that I never want to see again is BIG 80's hair!  My yearbook is hilarious and just a bit scary.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/29/07 at 4:21 pm

I agree, Cat.  If your back pocket is behind your knee, your pants are toodamnlow!
My fashion fad that I never want to see again is BIG 80's hair!  My yearbook is hilarious and just a bit scary.

The strange (or is that sad) thing is that I still wear my hair the way I did in high school (just color it now).  :-\\

Cat

Written By: woops on 12/29/07 at 4:41 pm

The boho look

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/29/07 at 6:21 pm

The strange (or is that sad) thing is that I still wear my hair the way I did in high school (just color it now).  :-\\

Cat
It's not sad if it's the best look for your hair.  There were some girls who did not really follow the trend and just let their hair do what it naturally does.  I, however, had the new wave asymetrical haircut that was dyed a crazy pink for a while  ;D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/29/07 at 7:20 pm

Haircuts that had the "tail" back in the 80's.  It was worse when they'd try to peroxide the thing. :P

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/29/07 at 8:31 pm

This should not be on the head of anyone over the age of 6. Sadly some do hang on to the 'do.

oh...but she's incredibly HOT. ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/29/07 at 9:10 pm

Fashion is the one thing I was fairly clueless on growing up (ironic, since I paid such great attention to everything else in pop culture, lol). Although I do remember the ripped jeans and frizzy hair look, as well as other things circa 1987/'88...there wasn't anything about me at all that identified me with a time until at least like 1994.

I always liked most '90s fashion. Other than the haircuts, or the most extreme stuff, it's not dated in a laughable way today at all, because it was fairly laid back. In fact, to this day I dress fairly Nineties-like - plaid or flannel shirts are a personal favorite. Jeans and T shirts are timeless too.

I guess the point of the question is that, if there was a fashion I didn't like, it wasn't anything I remember firsthand.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/30/07 at 7:26 am

oh...but she's incredibly HOT. ;)

I think she is gorgeous, it is that NCIS persona that drives me nuts.

Written By: Satish on 12/30/07 at 1:34 pm

Hey, my seven year old cousin has that hairstyle. I actually think it's cute!

Written By: Satish on 12/30/07 at 2:01 pm

Any fashions from the 70s, I cannot stand. The clothes, shoes and hairstyles from that era are just repulsive to me. I find bell bottoms, big Afro hair, white disco suits and platform shoes to be completely hideous!

Written By: danootaandme on 12/30/07 at 2:24 pm

Hey, my seven year old cousin has that hairstyle. I actually think it's cute!

Well duh...    ::) she is seven ... (although she is pushing it).  Wait and see how you feel about it when she is 30 and still has them.

Written By: woops on 12/31/07 at 4:54 pm

Any fashions from the 70s, I cannot stand. The clothes, shoes and hairstyles from that era are just repulsive to me. I find bell bottoms, big Afro hair, white disco suits and platform shoes to be completely hideous!

agree

I cringe at "Brady Bunch", '70's "Soul Train", "Saturday Night Fever", etc.  8-P

Written By: whistledog on 12/31/07 at 5:11 pm

No argument there.  I hate all that as well

Written By: coqueta83 on 01/01/08 at 7:55 pm

Cat

There are kids out there who STILL wear those kind of baggy pants today.  8-P

Written By: woops on 01/02/08 at 7:57 pm

emo and hipsters

Written By: KKay on 01/03/08 at 8:07 am

that  80s big shirt and tights look.

not that i didnt' wear it all the time... ;D
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a143/nat915/80sday1.jpg

Written By: star80 on 01/04/08 at 5:16 pm

I hated Gaucho pants back in the late 70s  and I hate those Capri pants they wear now.  I hated the Platform shoes, too from the 70s.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/04/08 at 8:45 pm

Omg, the 70s kill me. I mean I am in pain when I look at photos of anyone from back then. I mean all our great singers had an afro and/or bellbottoms phase--Michael Jackson, Prince, Donny Osmond, Barry White, etc...!

Written By: danootaandme on 01/04/08 at 8:46 pm

NOOOOOOOOO not the one side pony tail !

Written By: Marian on 01/06/08 at 3:09 pm

I don't think that's too bad;it IS practical too.I don't care for 'fros,wedge and bowl cuts on most people however.

Written By: Marian on 01/06/08 at 3:12 pm

I hated Gaucho pants back in the late 70s  and I hate those Capri pants they wear now.  I hated the Platform shoes, too from the 70s.
capris are fine for me.I'm a bit short,so they're practical.

Written By: Brigitte on 01/07/08 at 11:31 pm

And a scrunchie ta boot!! ;D

Written By: woops on 01/11/08 at 6:51 pm

Leggings are back...believe it or not

Written By: KKay on 01/11/08 at 7:20 pm

Leggings are back...believe it or not

I know...it's bad twice.

I also hate the faux-hawk.
Just do it.

Written By: coqueta83 on 01/11/08 at 7:49 pm

I used to fix my hair in that one sided ponytail, if I wasn't wearing pigtails.  ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 01/11/08 at 8:05 pm

Cat

I don't think it is strange.  My hair is still the same, too. :)

Written By: gibbo on 01/11/08 at 8:10 pm

Platform shoes for men!!!

Written By: danootaandme on 01/12/08 at 4:38 am

Cat

I don't think it is strange.  My hair is still the same, too. :)

Why is that?  What is the style? Ever thought of an Ambush Makeover just to see what you would look like with a little something different.  I have changed styles quite a few times. I don't know if it reflected an outward change or inward.  I do know it always felt good, and it is always fun going out and buying a bunch of new earrings to suit the style.  Oh, and a PS, a little bit of vamp does weird things to significant others, in a good way  ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 01/12/08 at 11:02 am

I haven't changed it because it is easy.  I wash, brush and go.  I have tried short hair but it makes my head look like a beach ball on my shoulders so I stick with just past the shoulders straight and boring.  I don't have a significant other so the vamp would do no good on this end. ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/12/08 at 1:10 pm

Why is that?  What is the style? Ever thought of an Ambush Makeover just to see what you would look like with a little something different.  I have changed styles quite a few times. I don't know if it reflected an outward change or inward.  I do know it always felt good, and it is always fun going out and buying a bunch of new earrings to suit the style.  Oh, and a PS, a little bit of vamp does weird things to significant others, in a good way  ;D

I haven't changed it because it is easy.  I wash, brush and go.  I have tried short hair but it makes my head look like a beach ball on my shoulders so I stick with just past the shoulders straight and boring.  I don't have a significant other so the vamp would do no good on this end. ;D

I always wanted REALLY LONG hair but my hair only grows so long and then it breaks.  :\'(  However, with the length I do have, lets me do all sorts of different things with it. Usually, I just let it hang there but when I do dress to the nines (which I do a few times a year), then I change the look a bit.

Cat

Written By: woops on 01/12/08 at 8:36 pm

mullets

Written By: Marian on 01/17/08 at 1:55 pm

the Dorothy helmet-head....uh..hammill style

Written By: woops on 01/18/08 at 6:18 pm

large clocks

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/18/08 at 7:09 pm

Those really big gold earrings that are supposed to be"ghetto". 

Written By: midnite_ on 01/23/08 at 9:41 pm

Neon clothes from the 80's (which is past-due for coming back around)
Names carved in hair from the 90's (only a matter of time before this comes back around)
Leg warmers (which are back, unfortunately)
Cut-off jean-shorts on guys (that is downright nasty)
Low-cut shirts on men with chest-hair hanging out

Written By: danootaandme on 01/24/08 at 6:31 am

Thin penciled in eyebrows

Check for new replies or respond here...