inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Celebrities That You Nolonger Respect

Written By: woops on 12/31/07 at 5:16 pm

One example. Felt like posting this  since there's a few that think I'm still a fan or whatever...
Ashley Tisdale (sitcom actress turned manufactured pop act & teenybopper...good thing Scarlett doesn't work for Disney Channel)

At first, I thought she was a decent actress with great comedic timing and had the possiblities of being the next big thing (like in better tv shows in other networks, movies)...

I started finding her questionable when I first heard about "High School Musical" (horrid tv movie aimed at tweens/young teens), which she appeared and I realized that her "singing" is really bad like the majority of today's pop acts.

In interviews she always said that she would like to sing and realease an album, but I thought she wasn't being serious despite that she have sang a few times on "Suite Life".

When she stated that she'll release an album, she said that it would be different than other pop singers today. Since I gave her music a second chance and expected her to be similar to Natasha Bedingfield or maybe Vanessa Carlton (who I respect, though only like a few songs), it turns out to be 99% of the same stuff overplayed on the radio now.

My musical tastes varies to whatever catches my interest from alternative, new wave, 80's pop, classic rock, R&B, and some songs from the '60's/70S, '80's hair bands, and old school hip hop from the '80's/early 1990's.

I've tried listening to other artists, but sometimes they don't always appeal to me like gangsta rap (except a very few songs), country, speed metal, and polka (except Weird Al).

I've given Ashley's music a chance, but "High School Musical" & her debut CD "Headstrong" doesn't click to me.

For those who think I'm stuck in the past (though I'm in my early 20s), I enjoy some of today's artists like Natasha Bedingfield, The Killers, some songs from Fergie, and various songs. But detest the majority of today's rap (I enjoy a few songs from Black Eyed Peas and the synth from Akon's 'Smack That') and today's "sleaze pop".

"Kiss The Girl", the 'Little Mermaid' song remake, was OK, though because it was a bit more pop rock though wasn't impressed by her voice. Semi decent, but more akin to Britney than Mariah Carey.

"Be Good To Me" is a bit catchy, but could be sung by any other current pop singer from the last 8 years like Britney (who I can't stand) or maybe Ashanti and got tiresome fast after a minute into the song...

"He Said, She Said"... I found it very annoying.

Haven't bought "Headstrong" since I don't want to waste money on something I might not enjoy like Britney, Jessica Simpson, Lindsay Lohan, Pussycat Dolls, and Nelly Furtado's "Loose" (though I like 'Promiscuous').

Ashley also tends to contradict herself in interviews since she states that she's not ready for mature roles, but is singing sleazy pop music and not into partying/drugs, but looks like a druggie on the cover/back cover of her debut album. Either she's not being honest or she has no clue on what she's saying. Not to mention she appears ditzy and arrogant in interviews.

Overall, she's cashing in with the success of the overrated tv movies. Don't get me wrong, she does have some  potential as an actress, but not much as a singer. More likely could get typecasted like "Kramer".

Subject: Re: Celebrities That You Nolonger Respect

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/31/07 at 7:24 pm

I think the obvious ones are Britney Spears, Lindsey Lohan, and to a slight degree, Jamie Lynn Spears (although her situation at this point is more forgivable than her sisters).

Written By: snozberries on 01/01/08 at 1:01 am

I think the obvious ones are Britney Spears, Lindsey Lohan, and to a slight degree, Jamie Lynn Spears (although her situation at this point is more forgivable than her sisters).

agreed I really got annoyed with Lindsay cuz she was the talented one of the three... what a waste.

For years now I have been complaining that Tom Welling is an ass... I was at an event honoring Smallville and he acted liked the sun rose and set with him.  Such an ego.... truth is most people turned on smallville cuz they are superman fans.. I'm not talking about the teenyboppers. I turned it off after that event because I was so upset with him.  the show wasn't all that great to begin with....

Tom Cruise... I had the biggest crush on him when I was in high school. I actually crushed on him before most of America knew who he was. I picked him out of some small early roles like Endless Love!  Anyway... he's gone a little off the deep end with this scientology crap... there are other scientologists (John Travolta) who doesn't stand on a soap box (or Oprah couch  ;) ) ranting about the "religion"  they just go about their business quietly.... pay attention cuz I want my tommy back!

Written By: danootaandme on 01/01/08 at 5:37 am

Well, is it appreciation or respect?  You can appreciate someones talent(or not) without respecting them.  I don't see much reason to give respect to a great artists who haven't earned it, no matter how much I like their work.

Written By: snozberries on 01/01/08 at 12:29 pm

Well, is it appreciation or respect?  You can appreciate someones talent(or not) without respecting them.  I don't see much reason to give respect to a great artists who haven't earned it, no matter how much I like their work.

if I lose respect for them...so to speak... I choose not to appreciate their talents.... I don't watch Mel Gibson movies anymore and stopped watching Seinfeld because just the sight of Michael Richards infuriates me

Written By: danootaandme on 01/01/08 at 12:39 pm

if I lose respect for them...so to speak... I choose not to appreciate their talents.... I don't watch Mel Gibson movies anymore and stopped watching Seinfeld because just the sight of Michael Richards infuriates me

There are many many talented people who you would have to disregard if you based your appreciation on them on the ability to respect them.  Give me 10 of your faves and lets see what we can do with them.

Written By: snozberries on 01/01/08 at 1:32 pm

There are many many talented people who you would have to disregard if you based your appreciation on them on the ability to respect them.  Give me 10 of your faves and lets see what we can do with them.

I think we've been thro this before... and I know that celebs are humans who are fallible... that's why I reserve my boycots for the most extreme.... I'm not boycotting Tom Cruise he's a religious nut and has some f'd up opinions about what women should and should not do to their bodies but I just find that misguided not offensive.

Halle Berry was involved in a hit and run...it was wrong but she attoned for it.

I don't know that Denzel has done anything but since he hasn't to my knowledge gone off on a racially motivated rant I think I'm safe there

Lets see - I know Left Eye went nuts and tried to burn down her house but she did time plus she's dead so nothing to say about her and I still love TLC

Janet Jackson... I refuse to get into a nipplegate discussion because I still think it was unintentional.

Rosie O'Donnell.... I know people don't like her but I love her and I don't disagree with her opinions... I don't think she called the soldiers terrorists.. I watch the view and I know that she was trying to say that in the minds of the people in Iraq we are terrorists to them because we invaded their country... but that's a question of recognizing how people's perceptions vary....

Oprah... you have something bad to say about Oprah? Bring it on...  ;)

Sandra Bullock... she's a little neurotic...maybe has/had some self esteem issues but I can't think of anything negative about her... she seemed uncomfortable in her skin at the beginning of her career but I think she's grown accustomed to it now.

The one you'll get me on and I am very aware that its a double standard is Eminem... I can't explain it. I really like him and I know all the crap he's been accussed/admitted too... but I let that go...I'm not gonna marry him or anything. I think there is something about his honesty tho... he fully admits to making bad decisions and screwing up.  But while he admits to hitting Kim Ike Turner denied the allegations made against him.

Hey I'm not perfect either but I still hold to my opinion.... oh and if Eminem was filmed while on stage saying calling someone the n word and saying he wanted to see them swinging from a tree rest assured I would dump all my eminem stuff immediately.

I think you think I idolize celebs. I don't like I said I know they are human and no human is perfect. I can accept that they are dealing with things we normal folks  will never have to deal with and perhaps Hollywood should have people like Drew Barrymore offer counseling to these young folks. Lindsey didn't have to fall as far (and as fast) as she did... there should have been an intervention long ago for her... I haven't given up on her at all I hope she gets it together because she is talented...

Amanda Bynes is also talented and managed to avoid the trap...

Just rememeber its all opinion... mostly its my opinion... if you want to see Mel's next movie...go ahead but I won't be there... and one of these days I'll watch seinfeld again because I know Kramer is a character and its not fair to other people (who I like) on the show.  But Richards rants were extremely harsh and affected me personally so I am still a little pissed off at him.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/01/08 at 1:53 pm

Well you see, you admit that even though some of these people have done some objectionable things you are still able appreciate them without really respecting them, and you admit to a double standard, which makes it kinda useless to offer up any valid criticism.

Written By: snozberries on 01/01/08 at 2:24 pm

Well you see, you admit that even though some of these people have done some objectionable things you are still able appreciate them without really respecting them, and you admit to a double standard, which makes it kinda useless to offer up any valid criticism.

I didn't really say all that... I said I know that humans are not perfect and we all make mistakes but there are some character flaws like racism that I do not tolerate...the other stuff is just incidental. . .

Written By: danootaandme on 01/01/08 at 2:34 pm

I didn't really say all that... I said I know that humans are not perfect and we all make mistakes but there are some character flaws like racism that I do not tolerate...the other stuff is just incidental. . .

The problem, as I see it, is that there are so many past and present artists who have been so objectionable, but the works they have produced have been so brilliant, that it is necessary to try to divorce the two sides of the person.  I can appreciate the brilliance of the Declaration of Independence, while considering Thomas Jefferson a piece of hypocritical dung.  Mick Jagger has done some thoroughly objectionable things, I cannot at all respect him, but I can still crank the Stones when the music comes on.  I don't understand how you can like someones body of work then dismiss it, it isn't like turning off a light switch.

Written By: snozberries on 01/01/08 at 2:46 pm

The problem, as I see it, is that there are so many past and present artists who have been so objectionable, but the works they have produced have been so brilliant, that it is necessary to try to divorce the two sides of the person.  I can appreciate the brilliance of the Declaration of Independence, while considering Thomas Jefferson a piece of hypocritical dung.  Mick Jagger has done some thoroughly objectionable things, I cannot at all respect him, but I can still crank the Stones when the music comes on.  I don't understand how you can like someones body of work then dismiss it, it isn't like turning off a light switch.

because when I feel something I feel it very deeply... I have always had pretty refined sense of right and wrong.  and if someone does something I find objectionable....truly objectionable I hold on to it for a long time... sometimes the opposite is also the case... Like the ike thing... I was never a fan so it was easy to dismiss his music cuz I didn't like it or him anyway.

I am not a fan of Mick Jaggers and don't follow much about him. I heard Mackenzie Phillips accuse him of raping her at the age of 14 or so I don't know if that's true but it didn't affect my opinion cuz I already wasn't listening to him... I can't let Thomas Jefferson owning slaves affect my opinon of him cuz I had no opinion. He was just some old guy who founded the country what do I know about Thomas Jefferson... How do you "respect" someone who died 200 years before you were born?  I guess you can admire them but I never really gave it much thought.  I used to think everyone owned slaves (well except the Quakers) so no big stretch to learn that TJ had em... and gee raped them he wasn't the first to do that either... but again...what work is there for me to dismiss as result.

Back on to the artists... If I don't enjoy the artist...if I have no respect for them  then I cannot enjoy the art...because my emotions are tied to the experience. I hope that explains it its the best I can do.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/01/08 at 5:14 pm

Back on to the artists... If I don't enjoy the artist...if I have no respect for them  then I cannot enjoy the art...because my emotions are tied to the experience. I hope that explains it its the best I can do.

I get you. What I wonder is, does your opinion of their work change from like to dislike if you find something negative about them? I mean, if there was a song you liked for a long time, then you found out the singer was someone you didn't like at all, would your opinion of the song change?  I can't  understand how that could happen

Written By: snozberries on 01/01/08 at 5:50 pm

I get you. What I wonder is, does your opinion of their work change from like to dislike if you find something negative about them? I mean, if there was a song you liked for a long time, then you found out the singer was someone you didn't like at all, would your opinion of the song change?  I can't  understand how that could happen

I have that some with Mel Gibson because I like the movie Bird on Wire but there's just something about him that when I see it i get so angry I can no longer enjoy what I am watching. 

When I scroll through the guide to see what's on and I see Seinfeld... I don't think oh that's the funny show with Jerry, Elaine and George... I instantly think of Michael Richards and go on to the next show. during the holiday wishes I agonized over posting a Festivus pole because every christmas since the ep aired I have wished people Happy Festivus. I decided to post the pic but I purposely didn't use a pic with Kramer.  I also didn't write Happy Festivus on the cards I sent out this year.

Its a little different with music because you're not seeiing the artist- unless you are watching videos. 

I know MJ was found not guilty in a court of law and I am a janet fan so I hate to feel this but I totally think Michael is guilty of what he was accused of...  I won't give him any money (buy anything new) but have to admit it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the Off the Wall album and to some extent the Thriller album and I totally still listen to the Jackson 5  but I also compartmentalize Michael Jackson...

he was just a kid during the Jackson 5/Ben/Rockin' Robin period so not responsible for anything  not that I know of anything he did as a kid anyway.

He was merely shy during the Off the Wall/The Wiz/Thriller phase

moved towards eccentric during Bad/History

and has been out of his damn mind since. . .  I listen to Scream because Janet is on it... and maybe once in awhile I listen to Do you Remember the time but then I just think...do you remember the time when you were almost normal?  I don't listen to any other songs beyond this.  I guess Have you seen my childhood from Free Willy (when I watch free willy) but then I just think the same thing as Do you remember the time.

I'm trying to think if there are any music artists that I have liked but like Michael Richards I have become so hateful of I no longer listen to them... I can't think of any... let me know if you come up with some who seemed okay but then turned out to be racists and I will let you know if that affected my experience.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/01/08 at 9:30 pm

I don't really have any initial respect for them at first, they would need to earn it.

Written By: tv on 01/02/08 at 9:01 am

Probably Tom Cruise from that Oprah thing a couple years ago I did lose respect for him a little bit. I did lose respect for OJ Simpson because of him playing a role in stealing things recently from a house. As far as OJ killing his wife and wifes friend I don;t know if he did it so I am not going to go into that.

Britney Spears probably(well her fame I dont respect)too I have no clue to this day why she's famous still. I don't respect her fame basically because she shouldn't even be in the news anymore. She hasn;t been popular musically in like 6 years. Her fame was 1999-pre sept 11th, 2001 and Britneys popularity should have died out just like than teen singer Tiffany's fame did in 1991 after Sept 11th.

Jessica Simpson I don;t respect her fame either for the same reason as Britney because she shouldnlt even be in the news anymore. I mean she hasn't been popular musically since mid 2003 I mean why is she still even in the news?

Written By: star80 on 01/02/08 at 10:18 am

Oprah Winfrey....sick of her....why doesn't she run for president herself, ha, ha....she's also made racist remarks in my opinion, but in a sneaky manner.

Rosie O'Donnell.....sick of her, too, her mouth is just too big!!

Tom Cruise.......YUCK...the cradle robber

OJ Simpson....how could he have let us all down that way

Mike Tyson.....shouldn't have ever been allowed to box on tv again

And for anyone that wants to start ranting about my choices, oh well, I used to like all of the above

Written By: saver on 01/05/08 at 5:36 am

Woody Allen made me laugh one of the hardest times in the 60's movies but my mom will not go to ANY of his projects..it may be the whole Mia/SoonYi thing..

and WHY AREN'T PEOPLE STILL CHASTIZING HIM TO THIS DAY? Apathy?

Unless they hold back from supporting his movies or giving him recognition...he's got a romance coming out and I feel even that may be for a selective audience BBABOOOMMMM!

Subject: Re: Celebrities That You No longer Respect

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 01/05/08 at 6:05 am

Hawk's Top 10 Celebrities He Gives No Respect To:

10. Martin Lawrence- Foul-mouth w/limited talent, who resorts to asinine jokes & cursing every other word.
9. Britney Spears- What little respect I had for her was as a performer. She doesn't even have THAT now.
8. Roseanne- Started out as a promising comedienne; ended up a boorish has-been.
7. Michael Jackson- Applaud his music work; detest his behavior with his children & 'Elephant Man' obsession.
6. Larry the Cable Dork- Let's face it, his un-educated wit is simply not...that...funny.
5. Vince McMahon- Ruined the charm of a sport, just to avoid paying taxes.
4. Any celebrity who throws a violent temper tantrum in public, "because they can".
3. Rappers who insist that showing underwear or anal cleavage is "da style, yo!"
2. Garth Brooks- I have a true story that involves him. If interested, PM me for details.
AND! Hawk's Top Celebrity Who's Lost His Respect:
1. Fee Waybill- While I love The Tubes, I can never again hold them in the same light, because of what Fee pulled with me...the man's a coulo.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/05/08 at 10:24 pm

Probably just Britney Spears. She came out when I was about 12 or 13 and I thought she was cool because she had been on the MMC--which I watched as a kid--and hung out with N*sync and now it's just sad.

I try very hard not to get hung up on stars now, because most of them are destroying themselves. I like older music stars (MJ, Prince, Smokey Robinson, etc.) older (or even deceased) film stars (Katherine Hepburn, Cary Grant, etc.) I like people who have survived, who have lasted, who haven't shaved thier (bleep)ing heads, and who are classy. MJ,(except for when he's covered in towels and blankets hididng his face) Prince, and the rest always go out looking nice and well primped and WEARING UNDERGARMENTS!

Nowawdays, some stars looks like hobos they're so shabby! And I can't respect someone who doesn't first respect themeselves.

Written By: snozberries on 01/06/08 at 1:23 am

Probably just Britney Spears. She came out when I was about 12 or 13 and I thought she was cool because she had been on the MMC--which I watched as a kid--and hung out with N*sync and now it's just sad.

I try very hard not to get hung up on stars now, because most of them are destroying themselves. I like older music stars (MJ, Prince, Smokey Robinson, etc.) older (or even deceased) film stars (Katherine Hepburn, Cary Grant, etc.) I like people who have survived, who have lasted, who haven't shaved thier (bleep)ing heads, and who are classy. MJ,(except for when he's covered in towels and blankets hididng his face) Prince, and the rest always go out looking nice and well primped and WEARING UNDERGARMENTS!

Nowawdays, some stars looks like hobos they're so shabby! And I can't respect someone who doesn't first respect themeselves.

I love Kate Hepburn if you think about how much times have changed...she was judged harshly for her extra-marital affair with Spencer Tracy but at least she kept her damn mind!  She was a tough old broad! and very very talented!

Written By: woops on 01/11/08 at 6:54 pm

It's pathetic that some still think I'm into Tisdale despite of this thread

Written By: gibbo on 01/11/08 at 8:22 pm

I find the less I actually know about artists I like, the better. They only dissappoint and that somehow affects how I listen or see them after that. I know they are only human ....maybe I'm not??

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/12/08 at 12:38 am

Good point.  Remember the Ike Turner thread in Celebrity Heaven?  I respect Ike Turner's music, but not his behavior. 

I have not been wrapped up in entertainment celebrities since my youth.  Since then the people I have admired aren't really in "pop culture."  For those in pop culture, I have no commitment of "respect." 

In my teens I invested more emotion in the personalities of musicians I liked.  It mattered whether or not they were on "my side" of things.  I felt some betrayed me, to wit:

Al Jourgensen of Ministry: He first struck me as an edgy, creative synth pop-turned-industrial artist.  He turned out to be a profane and violent junkie with no talent and no interest in developing any.  His early records sounded good because of Ric Ocasek, Vincy Ely, Adrian Sherwood, and other producers.

Sinead O'Connor:  Billed in 1987 as a Dublin Street kid with a shaven head, a powerful voice, and a gift for writing songs.  Her debut album, "The Lion and the Cobra" would tell you no different.  Then she burst open with a brand of naive, bleeding-heart politics as sophisticated as those of a Mt. Holyoke sophomore.  While whining about women's rights, she sold out to the biggest misogynist in the biz, Prince, who wrote "Nothing Compares 2 U," as a grab for superstardom.  She was gutsy enough to shred a photo of the pope to protest sexual abuse in the Catholic church--and she was right on--but then went right back to the Mt. Holyoke sophomore persona and cried when she got booed.  She wanted bill herself as a gutsy feminist, but then she drooled over Mickey Rourke almost to the point of stalking in the man.  She ratted Pogues lead singer Shane McGowan out to the cops because he had drugs on his person.  And the list goes on.  I've softened up on her a bit because my Ireland sources tell me she has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder.

Morrissey: It's 20 years after the fact and I don't REALLY give a crap what he does, but he still seems like a turncoat for moving to Beverly Hills and turning into Tony Randall.
;D

Eddie Murphy: Sorry the guy makes the worst movies nowadays and hasn't been funny since 1984.

Fred Thompson:  He was good on Law & Order.  He should have stayed OUT of politics because he's a horrible sh*t.

Sting:  At 30 he led one of the greatest rock groups ever, The Police, at 55 he competes with Phil Collins for King of Painful Elevator Music.

Dennis Miller:  I always thought he was an a-hole, but it was fun when he was an a-hole comic.  Now he's an a-hole propagandist for George Bush.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/12/08 at 12:40 am

A word of caution to the young.  We often idolize rock stars or sports figures when we're kids, but we must not take it too seriously in adulthood.  Celebrities are just people with fame and money.  You will discover they're hypocrites or shallow egomaniacs at some point.  When this happens, you don't want to feel betrayed by an idol. 

Let me tell you about a lonely, troubled kid who loved the Beatles.  Most of all he loved John Lennon.  When he was 23 he saw Lennon--a man who sang of love, togetherness, equality, peace, and no possessions--living a pampered life as megamillionaire in a New York luxury hotel with piles of money he was not sharing with the needy people of the world.  In his eyes Lennon became a hypocrite; a phony.  It drove this young man over the edge. 
His name: Mark David Chapman.
:o

Written By: snozberries on 01/12/08 at 11:25 am

A word of caution to the young.  We often idolize rock stars or sports figures when we're kids, but we must not take it too seriously in adulthood.  Celebrities are just people with fame and money.  You will discover they're hypocrites or shallow egomaniacs at some point.  When this happens, you don't want to feel betrayed by an idol. 

Let me tell you about a lonely, troubled kid who loved the Beatles.  Most of all he loved John Lennon.  When he was 23 he saw Lennon--a man who sang of love, togetherness, equality, peace, and no possessions--living a pampered life as megamillionaire in a New York luxury hotel with piles of money he was not sharing with the needy people of the world.  In his eyes Lennon became a hypocrite; a phony.  It drove this young man over the edge. 
His name: Mark David Chapman.
:o

There is also a difference between admiration/idolization and being just plain crazy... MDC was definitely the later. I mean most kids who grow up admiring a celeb don't kill them when that celeb has "let them down"

No matter how far they fall now celeb deserves to die for deeds...well except maybe for OJ.

Written By: KKay on 01/12/08 at 1:14 pm

that list is just too long...great thread idea!

Written By: Davester on 01/13/08 at 8:21 pm

I find the less I actually know about artists I like, the better. They only dissappoint and that somehow affects how I listen or see them after that. I know they are only human ....maybe I'm not??

QFT...

Ain't interested in who they are.  Isn't a question of respect - either I like their product or I don't... 

Written By: KKay on 01/14/08 at 7:40 am

I used to always write off all Saturday night Live alum that went on to movies but lately they have been keeping my interest-
but comics that used to be unique are just boring now...especially this group:
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f210/Anon_Pix/Television/comic_relief_8.jpg

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 01/14/08 at 1:10 pm

I used to always write off all Saturday night Live alum that went on to movies but lately they have been keeping my interest-
but comics that used to be unique are just boring now...especially this group:

You want interesting?

Two words: Jeff Dunham.

Written By: gumbypiz on 01/15/08 at 1:23 am

Morrissey: It's 20 years after the fact and I don't REALLY give a crap what he does, but he still seems like a turncoat for moving to Beverly Hills and turning into Tony Randall.
;D

Sting:  At 30 he led one of the greatest rock groups ever, The Police, at 55 he competes with Phil Collins for King of Painful Elevator Music.

Funny, I can't now help but have the image of the late Tony Randall singing a resounding rendition of "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others" or "Interesting Drug", thanks for that...I think  :D

Couldn't agree with more on Sting, seriously did Phil Collins buy his body and crawl inside, what the hell happened to this guy?

To add my own:

Henry Rollins, while not nearly a "celebrity" still in todays terms his creditable rage from the underground/punk thing really has gone south. One of few people who's opinion I could respect just on face value alone, (his show on IFC still is one of the best however) but now I can only stand so much of his "commentary" on crappy videos or fads from VH1's Totally 80's or 90's "3-D" and start to wonder how much more of his mug is on TV and movies for the paycheck only. What happened to the angry Henry of the past?  :P

Carol Burnett, both her actions and forthright view on social issues had always gained my respect, but the silly flap with her suing FOX over the  Family Guy skit a few months back was really ludicrous. Can't understand someone who grew her craft on making fun of people w/ biting satire on her show would be so bent out of shape when someone did the same to her.

Spike Lee, I used to be able to take some of his comments with a grain of salt, even if I didn't agree, I could respect his motives and what he was trying to convey with his films. But lately his movies and less than even average and wonder the reason for him to produce movies at all.

As for the others like Britney, or the others, having a hit record or song never generated any "respect" from me. Often enough you have to be judged by your actions, not your media accomplishments to get my attention.

Written By: KKay on 01/15/08 at 8:34 am

3 more i no longer tolerate

http://thephoenix.com/OutsideTheFrame/content/binary/The%20Three%20Amigos.jpg

Written By: snozberries on 01/15/08 at 1:53 pm

Carol Burnett, both her actions and forthright view on social issues had always gained my respect, but the silly flap with her suing FOX over the  Family Guy skit a few months back was really ludicrous. Can't understand someone who grew her craft on making fun of people w/ biting satire on her show would be so bent out of shape when someone did the same to her.

I'm don't watch FG so not familiar with the skit....hadn't heard about the suit either.

but you're right,  wonder how Gloria Swanson felt about those Nora Desmond skits... they weren't just making fun of a movie character bit really they kind of took the acting to task too.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/15/08 at 10:18 pm

Funny, I can't now help but have the image of the late Tony Randall singing a resounding rendition of "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others" or "Interesting Drug", thanks for that...I think  :D

Last year I saw a big magazine spread on Morrissey and his age was really showing.  Of course, he will be 50 this year, but somehow he was taking on the elderly gent airs.  And yes, he really reminded me of Tony Randall!  I had an idea for a new odd couple series:
Morrissey and Shane MacGowan.
:D
I almost got tickets to see Morrissey last year but it's just not the same.  His music spoke to me in an earlier time of my life, and I would rather keep it tucked away in the '80s where it is precious and not, as Bono said, "drag the past out into the light" and watch Morrissey do a warmed over lounge act for packs of kids who weren't even born when the Smiths were together!

Couldn't agree with more on Sting, seriously did Phil Collins buy his body and crawl inside, what the hell happened to this guy?

He starred in movies and headlined Love-the-Earth benefits...in other words, he became a pompous ass strictly for squares. Sting lost it within a few years of the Police breaking up.  It was even evident on "Dream of the Blue Turtles."  "Russians" is still a favorite of mine, but that's because it's more Prokofiev than Sting!

Henry Rollins, while not nearly a "celebrity" still in todays terms his creditable rage from the underground/punk thing really has gone south. One of few people who's opinion I could respect just on face value alone, (his show on IFC still is one of the best however) but now I can only stand so much of his "commentary" on crappy videos or fads from VH1's Totally 80's or 90's "3-D" and start to wonder how much more of his mug is on TV and movies for the paycheck only. What happened to the angry Henry of the past?  :P

I like Jello Biafra much better, even though Jello is just a wee bit predictable.  Rollins' downfall was testosterone.  Seriously, it attracted the wrong fan base.  When I was in school, kids who wore Black Flag t-shirts got beat up by jocks. Ten years later, jocks were Rollins' public. Rollins does the macho thing, and all the jocks go "Whoo-hooo fuggin Rollins! My main man!"  In much the same way, you saw jocks wearing NIN and Ministry shirts. You might have noticed Rollins appearing in the New Yorker in ads for laptops (I think that's what it was).  Integrity was not his thing.  Let's face it, given the chance, they all sell-out, even the Butthole Surfers! I agree, as a spoken-word artist, I found Rollins to be a narcissist without anything interesting to say. 
::)

I should add Bono to my list for touring Africa with Bush treasury secretary Paul H. O'Neill.  You dance with the devil, the devil always leads. 

That was disconcerting...Carol Burnett doesn't have a sense of humor? 

Spike Lee, I used to be able to take some of his comments with a grain of salt, even if I didn't agree, I could respect his motives and what he was trying to convey with his films. But lately his movies and less than even average and wonder the reason for him to produce movies at all.
I still like "Do The Right Thing" and "Malcolm X."  People ranked on "Malcolm X" about this and that, but I don't think a lot its critics really understood why Spike did what he did with the film.  Anyway, I always thought Spike was extremely conceited and full of himself. 

Written By: star80 on 02/19/08 at 9:30 pm

Oh and I should also add Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson and Latoya Jackson to my list as well as Jim Carey, who I think is obnoxious and Richard Simmons, the big whiny ass.

Written By: Marian on 02/20/08 at 1:59 pm

One example. Felt like posting this  since there's a few that think I'm still a fan or whatever...
Ashley Tisdale (sitcom actress turned manufactured pop act & teenybopper...good thing Scarlett doesn't work for Disney Channel)

At first, I thought she was a decent actress with great comedic timing and had the possiblities of being the next big thing (like in better tv shows in other networks, movies)...

I started finding her questionable when I first heard about "High School Musical" (horrid tv movie aimed at tweens/young teens), which she appeared and I realized that her "singing" is really bad like the majority of today's pop acts.

In interviews she always said that she would like to sing and realease an album, but I thought she wasn't being serious despite that she have sang a few times on "Suite Life".

When she stated that she'll release an album, she said that it would be different than other pop singers today. Since I gave her music a second chance and expected her to be similar to Natasha Bedingfield or maybe Vanessa Carlton (who I respect, though only like a few songs), it turns out to be 99% of the same stuff overplayed on the radio now.

My musical tastes varies to whatever catches my interest from alternative, new wave, 80's pop, classic rock, R&B, and some songs from the '60's/70S, '80's hair bands, and old school hip hop from the '80's/early 1990's.

I've tried listening to other artists, but sometimes they don't always appeal to me like gangsta rap (except a very few songs), country, speed metal, and polka (except Weird Al).

I've given Ashley's music a chance, but "High School Musical" & her debut CD "Headstrong" doesn't click to me.

For those who think I'm stuck in the past (though I'm in my early 20s), I enjoy some of today's artists like Natasha Bedingfield, The Killers, some songs from Fergie, and various songs. But detest the majority of today's rap (I enjoy a few songs from Black Eyed Peas and the synth from Akon's 'Smack That') and today's "sleaze pop".

"Kiss The Girl", the 'Little Mermaid' song remake, was OK, though because it was a bit more pop rock though wasn't impressed by her voice. Semi decent, but more akin to Britney than Mariah Carey.

"Be Good To Me" is a bit catchy, but could be sung by any other current pop singer from the last 8 years like Britney (who I can't stand) or maybe Ashanti and got tiresome fast after a minute into the song...

"He Said, She Said"... I found it very annoying.

Haven't bought "Headstrong" since I don't want to waste money on something I might not enjoy like Britney, Jessica Simpson, Lindsay Lohan, Pussycat Dolls, and Nelly Furtado's "Loose" (though I like 'Promiscuous').

Ashley also tends to contradict herself in interviews since she states that she's not ready for mature roles, but is singing sleazy pop music and not into partying/drugs, but looks like a druggie on the cover/back cover of her debut album. Either she's not being honest or she has no clue on what she's saying. Not to mention she appears ditzy and arrogant in interviews.

Overall, she's cashing in with the success of the overrated tv movies. Don't get me wrong, she does have some  potential as an actress, but not much as a singer. More likely could get typecasted like "Kramer".
When i was at the recycle place,a school brought a group of special needs kids to recycle.the guy didn't show up,but the kids were dancing and singing High school musical songs while they waited,until the y finally left.They were absolutelu ga ga over that show! :)

Written By: Marian on 02/20/08 at 2:01 pm

Probably Tom Cruise from that Oprah thing a couple years ago I did lose respect for him a little bit. I did lose respect for OJ Simpson because of him playing a role in stealing things recently from a house. As far as OJ killing his wife and wifes friend I don;t know if he did it so I am not going to go into that.

Britney Spears probably(well her fame I dont respect)too I have no clue to this day why she's famous still. I don't respect her fame basically because she shouldn't even be in the news anymore. She hasn;t been popular musically in like 6 years. Her fame was 1999-pre sept 11th, 2001 and Britneys popularity should have died out just like than teen singer Tiffany's fame did in 1991 after Sept 11th.

Jessica Simpson I don;t respect her fame either for the same reason as Britney because she shouldnlt even be in the news anymore. I mean she hasn't been popular musically since mid 2003 I mean why is she still even in the news?
i'm not a scientologist,and i thionk Tom criuse is over the top talking about it,but i respect his opinion about the over diagnosis of mental illness and the overuse of drugs for it.

Written By: Bree on 03/25/09 at 1:04 pm

Metallica  8-P

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/25/09 at 2:25 pm

Metallica  8-P
All of them?

Check for new replies or respond here...