inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Named After Someone Famous?

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/04/08 at 8:16 pm

Hi Guys!

I was wondering if anyone is (or knows anyone who is) named after a famous person.

I know four.

*Michael Jackson. (I grew up knowing SIX different Michaels, but only ONE admitted that he was actually named after the singer.)

*Prince. (A guy who works at a local restaraunt in my town is named Prince. And once I went in there with my Prince (singer) T-shirt on and they thought I was Prince (the chef's) girlfriend! LOL!

*Apollonia--love interest in Prince's film Purple Rain (She was a girl who graduated a year ahead of me, and still have no idea why her mother named her after Apollonia. I mean I almost killed over laughing when I first met her, because I didn't beleive that was truly her name.)

*Philip Michael Thomas--(My friend Philip's whole, REAL name is Philip Michael Thomas. I noticed that his first and last name were "Philip" and "Thomas" and on a whim asked what his middle was. Yet another day I almost killed over laughing. He claims when he was born, his parents let his older brother name him.) Unfourtunately, I don't know any Don Johnsons!  ;D

Now my name is Tiffeny (with an 'E') but I am NOT named after 80s pop singer Tiffany. (I was born in 1986, she was big until 1987)  ;D

Well share everyone. I posted this here, because I know everybody was born in different decades and eras and I'd like to know if any one was named after anyone famous.  :)

Subject: Re: Named After Someone Famous?

Written By: snozberries on 01/04/08 at 9:00 pm

I knew a girl named Estee named after the cosmetics

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/04/08 at 9:53 pm

I'm named after the character Erin, from the TV show, "The Waltons"....my parents were/are obsessed with that show. I guess I can thank my lucky stars that they didn't opt for John Boy. :D ;D

Written By: ninny on 01/04/08 at 11:13 pm

My daughter Melissa is named after Melissa Gilbert from Little House on the Prairie.

Written By: Lindee on 01/05/08 at 4:15 pm

I met a guy named Steve Walsh (lead singer of Kansas) at a concert. He showed me his driver's license and he was from Kansasville,WI.

Written By: Brigitte on 01/05/08 at 4:22 pm

I was named after Brigitte Bardot who was very popular in the 60's when I was born.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/05/08 at 4:44 pm

My granddaughter Bailey was named after a colonel (can't remember his first name) Bailey who was in the Revolutionary war and an ancestor of Bailey's father.  My other granddaughter Darwin Alexandria was named after Charles Darwin and the Great Library at Alexandria. I always said that they named her after the wrong Charles.  ;)

Cat

Written By: coqueta83 on 01/05/08 at 7:42 pm

I knew a girl named Rhiannon in junior high. She admitted one time that her parents named her after the Fleetwood Mac song.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/05/08 at 10:07 pm

Oh those are great!

If I had a kid, I don't know if I'd name her after anyone famous though. Because whoever might be cool at the time can take one heck of a downfall and that name is attatched to them. It'd have to be someone who's made it and stayed with a good name attached to them. (Like Rosa Parks, etc.) :)

But I got lucky. My mother wanted to give me one of these names instead of "Tiffeny"

"Misty Dawn"

"D'Lorah" (my father's name backwards)

I think I lucked out.  ;D

Written By: tv on 01/09/08 at 11:30 am

I met a guy named Steve Walsh (lead singer of Kansas) at a concert. He showed me his driver's license and he was from Kansasville,WI.
There was a guy named Steve Walsh who used to play quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys and New Orleans Saints I think in the 90's.

Written By: Jessica on 01/09/08 at 5:23 pm

My son's name is Jason Michael. It was only after we named him and everything that my friend pointed out (somewhat smugly....bastard) that we had named him after two serial killers from films.....Jason Vorhees from "Friday the 13th" and Michael Myers from "Halloween". :P

It was completely unintentional, but now apparently my kid is going to be a masked serial killer. :D

Written By: ?????????????????????? on 01/09/08 at 7:13 pm

"*Michael Jackson. (I grew up knowing SIX different Michaels, but only ONE admitted that he was actually named after the singer.)"
Just because someone is named Michael doesn't mean he is named after Mr. Jackson.

Written By: snozberries on 01/09/08 at 7:57 pm

My son's name is Jason Michael. It was only after we named him and everything that my friend pointed out (somewhat smugly....bastard) that we had named him after two serial killers from films.....Jason Vorhees from "Friday the 13th" and Michael Myers from "Halloween". :P

It was completely unintentional, but now apparently my kid is going to be a masked serial killer. :D

I don't know Jess that's kind of a reach I mean really what kind of friends hear common names like Jason and Michael and think of those films..that would have never occurred to me!

My job gives me the chance to come into contact with a lot of people.  I have come across 3 names that made me say WTF were the parents thinking...

Norman Bates
Fredrick Krueger

and the winner.....

Kunta Kinte White.... born the  year after Roots aired

I swear I would kill my parents if they did that to me. 

Written By: Jessica on 01/09/08 at 8:08 pm

I don't know Jess that's kind of a reach I mean really what kind of friends hear common names like Jason and Michael and think of those films..that would have never occurred to me!

My job gives me the chance to come into contact with a lot of people.  I have come across 3 names that made me say WTF were the parents thinking...

Norman Bates
Fredrick Krueger

and the winner.....

Kunta Kinte White.... born the  year after Roots aired

I swear I would kill my parents if they did that to me. 

That's what I'm saying. But ever since he said it, that's all I think about. :D

Yeah, there are some names out there that you just shouldn't put on your kid....like Apple....or Suri. :P

Written By: snozberries on 01/09/08 at 8:15 pm

That's what I'm saying. But ever since he said it, that's all I think about. :D

Yeah, there are some names out there that you just shouldn't put on your kid....like Apple....or Suri. :P

don't forget about Prince and Blanket  ::)

my question is how many fans will follow suit and steal these names for their kids

Written By: KKay on 01/09/08 at 10:51 pm

I know someone named Aubrey, after the song by Bread

but not after anyone famous.

Check for new replies or respond here...