inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Re-usable actors in the same TV show

Written By: whistledog on 01/08/08 at 11:16 pm

I mentioned this long ago in another topic, so I figured why not spin it off into it's own thread ... ever watched a TV Show and seen an actor or actress play several different characters over different seasons?

♦ In an episode of the final season of Cheers, John Mahoney (who played Frasier Crane's father in the series "Frasier") appeared as a man Rebecca hired to write a jingle for Cheers.  In one scene, he clashed with Frasier, who was skeptical of the man's songwriting abilities. 

♦ In a Season 3 episode of Three's Company, Jack moves out and moves in with Mr. Layton and his wife, Larry's boss.  Mr. Layton was played by Jordan Charney, whom you will remember in later seasons as Mr. Angelino

♦ In a Season 3 episode of The Golden Girls, a failed proposed spin-off for what would be Empty Nest (the actors who played the next door husband and wife neighbours didn't test well with audiences) also featured David Leisure as the annoying neighbour Oliver.  In later episodes, the neighbours were re-written with different actors as Harry Weston and his two daughters, and when Empty Nest became a series, David Leusire reprised his role as the annoying neighbour, only this time his name was Charlie

♦ Kelly Packard, who played April Griminsky on Baywatch can be seen as a Beachgoer with several different names over several episodes during the first few seasons

♦ Character actor Jonathan Banks played two different characters in two different episodes in the first two seasons of T.J. Hooker.  He also played 3 different characters in three different episodes in the first two seasons of Simon and Simon

Subject: Re: Re-usable actors in the same TV show

Written By: snozberries on 01/09/08 at 12:18 am

I commented to you in that thread but thanks for doing this as its own thread I was just watching Andy Griffith show the other night and saw an actor who was in at least two other episodes of the show.. he played different characters each time. 

He was in the episode where Barney told the roadside peddlers to leave town.
Then he was the guy who swept the debris into the road when sweeping the sidewalk in front of the store...he threatened to beat Barney up the next time he saw Barney out of uniform so Barney wore his uniform everywhere 
The ep I saw the other night was the one where Barney buys his first car... this guy was one of the old ladiy's "gang"

Law & Order... S. Epatha Merkerson
Played a custodian who's infant daughter was shot while sitting in her jumper. 
Then she went on to be Lt. Van Buren.

Buffy the Vampie Layer .... I mean Slayer  ;)
Jeff Kober played vamp Zackary Kralik in 99  in 2001 & 2002 he played Rack

I know there are more but I can't think of them right now

Written By: snozberries on 01/09/08 at 2:53 am

David Groh has appeared in a 3 episodes of Law & Order  hmm now this is interesting
according to IMDB played Dr. Lowenstein in 1990, played Judge Thayer in 94 and the played Dr Lowenstein again in 2004....now that's just slapping the fans in the face!

- Fixed (2004) TV episode .... Dr. Jacob Lowenstein
    - Censure (1994) TV episode .... Judge Joel Thayer
    - Indifference (1990) TV episode .... Dr. Jacob Lowenstein

Written By: tv on 01/09/08 at 11:20 am

Not the same show but same franchise Courteney Vance played a guy who was convicted I think of murdering his boss in a episode of Law & Order. Courteney Vance than went onto playing a district attorney on "Law & Order: Criminal Intent".

Written By: Lindee on 01/09/08 at 11:54 am

An actress named Virgina Gregg (deceased) played various characters on many episodes of Dragnet, Adam-12, and Emergency.

Written By: snozberries on 01/09/08 at 11:57 am

Not the same show but same franchise Counteney Vance played a guy who was convicted I think of murdering his boss in a episode of Law & Order. Courteney Vance than went onto playing a district attorney on "Law & Order: Criminal Intent".

They exist in the same (they cross over all the time) I think it counts....

Richard Sanders (Les Nesman)  was in two eps of Designing Women.
He played Elmer in "Tornado Watch" (went nuts during a tornado and ran around in his underwear)
He played Dr Eliott Newhouse in "A Class Act" the ep where Charlene takes a psychology class. (it seemed more like sociology tho...)

Written By: snozberries on 01/09/08 at 11:59 am

oh yeah Frank Adamo...Dick Van Dyke's assistant had a role in almost every episode of the DVD show. They weren't always speaking roles but he was there

Written By: KKay on 01/09/08 at 12:20 pm

one blatant use of this re-casting is in Reno 911.  You can find the regulars appearing as perps- hookers and drunks mostly, but in hats, wigs and sunglasses.

Written By: nally on 01/09/08 at 2:38 pm

Great topic! I can think of one notable example...Frank Nelson, who was used as many different characters in "I Love Lucy." Among the characters he played on that show:

Freddy Filmore, a game show host
A desk sergeant, in the episode where Ricky and Fred were glued to the tv and their wives went out
The train conductor, in the episode where the gang went back home from their California trip
The customs official, in the "Return Home From Europe" episode
Ralph Ramsay, the Ricardos' next door neighbor when they moved out to Connecticut

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/09/08 at 5:25 pm

There were so many in M*A*S*H.  Of course Harry Morgan first played that loopy general before he landed the gig as Col. Potter. Then there was Mako who played several charaters. There were also many others who kept appearing.

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 01/09/08 at 10:59 pm

Not the same show but same franchise Courteney Vance played a guy who was convicted I think of murdering his boss in a episode of Law & Order. Courteney Vance than went onto playing a district attorney on "Law & Order: Criminal Intent".

Spin-off's definately count as they are all part of the same universe so to speak.  Like with Cheers and Frasier

Written By: whistledog on 01/09/08 at 11:00 pm

Great topic! I can think of one notable example...Frank Nelson, who was used as many different characters in "I Love Lucy." Among the characters he played on that show:

Freddy Filmore, a game show host
A desk sergeant, in the episode where Ricky and Fred were glued to the tv and their wives went out
The train conductor, in the episode where the gang went back home from their California trip
The customs official, in the "Return Home From Europe" episode
Ralph Ramsay, the Ricardos' next door neighbor when they moved out to Connecticut

Without even seeing his face, I know exactly who you mean.  He sure did do alot of characters yes.  I liked him best as Freddy Filmore lol

Written By: snozberries on 01/11/08 at 11:50 am

^ Charles Lane was also used in several episodes of I Love Lucy
~ Casting Agent in Lucy Tells the Truth
~ Mr. Hickcox in The Business Manager
~ Mr. Stanley in Lucy Goes to the Hospital
~ Ticket Agent in the Staten Island Ferry

He also played a customs clerk in several eps of the Lucy Desi Hour

Written By: Marian on 01/22/08 at 2:56 pm

This happened a lot on Little house on theprairie

Written By: snozberries on 01/23/08 at 8:23 pm

Brad Savage was in two episodes of Chips in 1980 and 1983. He played Petey and Rick... I don't remember which role came first.

Written By: snozberries on 03/30/08 at 12:37 pm

so I was watching Kate & Allie on Thurs.  remember the ep where Lindsay Wagoner played a cooking instructor? (I think they were hoping it would be a spin off series)  anyway...in the episode she has an ex boyfriend named Keith who was played Sam Freed... you might remember Sam Freed also played Allie's boyfriend/husband Bob Barsky in later episodes.

Written By: whistledog on 03/30/08 at 12:47 pm

so I was watching Kate & Allie on Thurs.  remember the ep where Lindsay Wagoner played a cooking instructor? (I think they were hoping it would be a spin off series)  anyway...in the episode she has an ex boyfriend named Keith who was played Sam Freed... you might remember Sam Freed also played Allie's boyfriend/husband Bob Barsky in later episodes.

That episode did seem like it was leading to a spin-off.  Kate (or Allie) was hardly seen in the episode.  I recognized that guy right away

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/06/08 at 4:43 pm

Josh Taylor was on Days of Our Lives playing a character named, Chris Kositchek (a bartender) from 1977-1981, returning to the role again in 1982 for another five years.  THEN in 1997, he came back to "Days..." as Roman Brady this time, and stayed with the show until 2004 (where he was killed by a serial killer.)  Can't wait to see who he comes back as next time.  Talk about reincarnation.  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 04/06/08 at 5:58 pm

Josh Taylor was on Days of Our Lives playing a character named, Chris Kositchek (a bartender) from 1977-1981, returning to the role again in 1982 for another five years.  THEN in 1997, he came back to "Days..." as Roman Brady this time, and stayed with the show until 2004 (where he was killed by a serial killer.)  Can't wait to see who he comes back as next time.  Talk about reincarnation.   ;D

He's a veteran of soaps, so he most likely will return to one of them ;D

I best remember him as Michael Hogan on 'Valerie' (aka The Hogan Family).  That was like the rare instance where he was in a sitcom rather than a soap ;D  He also did a night time soap in the 90s where he played Dylan's father on 'Beverly Hills, 90210'

Written By: snozberries on 09/24/08 at 10:23 pm

So I'm watching the Cosby Show today- the episode where Cliff tries to get Sondra to dump Elvin and date another guy... the other guy named "Darrell" was played by Joseph C. Williams who later played Martin aka the guy who married Denise in Africa or... Olivia's dad.

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/24/08 at 11:57 pm

NYPD Blue: Charlotte Ross played a cops wife who was being abused and later turned up the following season as a detective.

Written By: whistledog on 09/25/08 at 9:14 am

Robert Costanzo (whom you might recognize as Joey Tribbiani's dad on 'Friends') appeared in 5 different episodes of Family Ties playing 5 different characters:

Season 3:  As an ex-con applying for the job as housekeeper
Season 4:  The waiter at the motel Steven was staying at
Season 4:  The automechanics teacher

plus a Season 5 and Season 6 episode, which I can't quite place until they hit DVD lol

Written By: apollonia1986 on 09/28/08 at 2:28 pm

Okay...wait for it....

Miami Vice!  ;D

In the first episode there is a man named Trini DeSoto who worked under this druglord named Colderone, but near the end of the episode, he ended up getting shot by Tubbs. The same man that played Desoto began sprining up throught out the rest of the series run as an informant named Izzy Moreno.

I know, I watch this show too much.  ;D

Written By: nally on 04/25/17 at 6:03 pm

Brad Savage was in two episodes of Chips in 1980 and 1983. He played Petey and Rick... I don't remember which role came first.

Another actor who made multiple guest appearances on "CHiPs" as different characters was Danny Bonaduce, usually playing a 'bad' dude (that is, one doing something naughty). For example, in one early episode (from the second season, I believe) he appears as a friend of Jon Baker's nephew while they go out driving unsafely.

Check for new replies or respond here...