inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Beatles' influence on '80s music?

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/28/08 at 6:07 pm

Is it just me, but doesn't it sound like alot of Beatles songs are a bit '80slike in a formative way? It's probably because those bands took alot from them (you can hear it especially in the poppier new wave and certain classic rock). This is moreso true with their experimental, latter-day period in the late 1960s.

Some examples:

Here Comes the Sun (lite synthpop)
Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds (electronic new wave)
Birthday (arena rock)
Let it Be (soft rock/power ballad)
Magical Mystery Tour (trippier, experimental new wave)
With a Little Help From My Friends (sort of a new wave/soft rock combination)
Obladi Oblada (poppy rock)

There were also some actual '80s songs which sounded Beatles-esque, like "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic" by The Police, "If You Want My Love" by Cheap Trick, "Head Over Heels" by Tears For Fears, or any ELO from that time.

Subject: Re: The Beatles' influence on '80s music?

Written By: ?????????????????????? on 01/29/08 at 5:36 pm

Who did the Fabs NOT Influence?!?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/29/08 at 5:57 pm

Who did the Fabs NOT Influence?!?

As flip as that sounds, it has a ring of truth.  Another aspect is that the Beatles experienced a popularity resurgence in the early 80's in both "nostalgia" and "classic rock" arenas, both of which were surging in popularity.  That helped them to influence the sound of the day.  Beyond that, most people agreed (at least at that point) that if you can sound Beatlesque, that's usually a good thing.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/30/08 at 1:08 am

The Beatles really set the standard for how pop groups would operate in the '70s and '80s.  They wrote their own songs.  Athough the Beatles performed many covers earlier in their career, this was standard singers/groups.  The term "cover" was not even in currency, it was not expected the performing artist wrote the songs he played.  Chuck Berry was one of a few notable exceptions before the Beatles, and the Beatles "covered" several of his songs!  Like the Beatles, performing artists generally had producers, but after the Beatles, the performer asserted himself much more in the production process in designing what the recording should sound like.  Recorded music was becoming a vastly more powerful medium with the intriduction of the LP.  The long-playing 33 1/2 RPM allowed for 30 to 45+ minutes of playing time rather than just the 3 to 5 minutes of the 45 RPM single or the even earlier 78 RPM disc, which could fit not much more. 

"Albums" literally were "albums" of songs that folded out with several discs inside.  Some turntables had auto-changing stack spindles that would allow you to play several 3-5 minute records in a row, but most listeners would be changing each one by hand. 

When the LP allowed an artist to produce 15 or 20 minutes worth of contiguous music, thus made it possible to develop more mood and theme.  It is no accident how beautifully "Revolver" hangs together.  This gave birth to the concept album, such as "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band." 

A better example than the Beatles of use of the LP for theme and concept is Frank Zappa who combined doo-wop spoofs, jazz jams, hard blues, musique concrete, and 12-tone method on albums such as "Freak Out!," "We're Only in it for the Money," and "Absolutely Free."  "Freak Out!" (1965) is credited as being the first rock music double-album; however, I say "Freak Out!" is a good deal more than rock!
However, Zappa's records did not sell nearly in the quantities of the Beatles. 

Thus in the '70s and '80s artists and production staff often worked on "albums" as the final product, rather than compiling singles onto an LP.

Pink Floyd "Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2" was an enormous hit single, but it was extracted from "The Wall," a concept album. 

In the '90s, the "album" started to fall apart as individual songs appeared for download online.  The "album" continues to disintegrate, and we are seeing a resurgence of the single as chief currency of pop music. 

The Beatles were really in the lead of creating what we knew as the "album."  Of course, so were the Rolling Stones, The Who, and The Doors, but the Beatles set the standard, IMO.

This post is off topic a bit.  I just find discussing the Beatles influence on subsequent pop music long-winded and pedantic.  You might as well discuss how Mozart influenced the Romantic period...which music scholars do ad nauseam and it fills many shelves!
::)

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/30/08 at 2:53 am

As flip as that sounds, it has a ring of truth.  Another aspect is that the Beatles experienced a popularity resurgence in the early 80's in both "nostalgia" and "classic rock" arenas, both of which were surging in popularity.  That helped them to influence the sound of the day.  Beyond that, most people agreed (at least at that point) that if you can sound Beatlesque, that's usually a good thing.

Good points. Do you think their resurgence also might've been stronger due to John Lennon's death? Whenever an icon (musically or otherwise) dies, especially prematurely, people have a tendency to get further into their work, or rediscover it. It also makes it a bit "timeless" in alot of people's eyes.

I think the same thing happened with Kurt Cobain and Tupac for the '90s, which is why they still have a slight influence today, and was never as inherintly cheesy like some previous decades were.

Written By: holicman on 01/30/08 at 7:34 am

I cant really hear their influence in 80's music, but its possible it could be there.

Written By: MrCleveland on 02/03/08 at 11:57 pm

"Seeds of Love" by Tears for Fears is heavily-infuenced by the Beatles.

Written By: gibbo on 02/04/08 at 3:53 pm

I agree that "If You Want My Love" by Cheap Trick, sounds Beatles-esque. At the time I definitely thought it (must be the oooo's) and I also agree some ELO reminds me of them.

Written By: Bobby on 02/21/08 at 10:41 am

I think John Lennon getting shot in 1980 had something to do with the interest in The Beatles.

Paul McCartney was still a regular pop artist during the whole of the 80s and even George Harrison had a solo hit towards the end of the decade before joining up with Orbison and Petty as 'The Travelling Wilburys' . . . Ringo Star wasn't producing much because he was too busy being the famously dreary narator on 'Thomas the Tank Engine', lol.

I don't think The Beatles had a particular influence on the 80s, I just think they are fondly remembered regardless of decade.

Written By: Civ on 12/31/09 at 4:21 pm

I think most eighties bands were influenced either directly or indirectly by the Beatles but some were soooo influenced that their actual vocal sound and or musical arrangements came across as very Beatleesque and quite intentional. Elo, Cheap Trick, Billy Joel to name a few, but everyone from Prince to Elton John had strong Beatle influences on their writing styles. My opinion is that a lot of heavy metal bands may have been more influenced by Lead Zep than the Beatles, however again, without the Beatles leading the British invasion Zeph may have never come to success later on.

I personally have been greatly influenced by the unsurpassed melodies, vocal style, harmonies, and writing of the Beatles in my own music. Check out CdBaby.com/TheAbout or search cd baby and then use their search for The About and scroll down to The About.

Written By: midnite on 01/05/10 at 2:39 pm

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - First Rap Song Ever????  Sounds to me like Paul is rapping at the beginning "It was 20 years ago today..........."

Check for new replies or respond here...