inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Disney Channel

Written By: woops on 03/13/08 at 3:52 pm

Since it's been 25 years since the mouse network made it's debut and less than a decade since it became a cvast cesspool (though early "Suite Life" is OK).

All I know is that it was a pay channel until around 1997 and aired a vast variety of vintage Disney programs (ie movies, animation, shows) and specials.

I enjoyed watching vintage cartoons on "Mickey Mouse Tracks", "Ink & Paint Club", and "Mousterpiece Theatre". Also "Under The Umbrella Tree".

Now it's all aimed towards tweens/toung teens and feature shows that are more fitting in Nickelodeon than Disney Channel like "Suite Life" and the now long canned "Even Stevens".

Subject: Re: Disney Channel

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/13/08 at 8:36 pm

I vaguely remember when the Disney Channel was still a pay channel in the early '90s. A friend of mine had it I believe, and I would watch it over at his house when I could. We got it on cable sometime in the mid '90s when it became a free channel, and at that time, I also enjoyed the vintage cartoons, along with re-runs of "Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers", "Ducktales", "Darkwing Duck", "Goof Troop", "Talespin", and all of my other favorite's from that era.

I stopped watching it around 1998 or 1999, and I really haven't watched more than 10 minutes of it since, so I can't really comment on how bad it is today. From everything I've heard though, It's pretty terrible :P

Written By: Brian06 on 03/13/08 at 9:11 pm

We got it ~1992 or so, I know I watched it way back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Disney_Afternoon

I definitely recall the programming blocks from 1991/92-96 on here really well.

Written By: wildcard on 03/13/08 at 10:36 pm

I had it when I was real young and watched the old cartoons.    then my brothers watched them as well as Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers,  Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, and Under the UmbrellaTree.

Theres a few Goofy cartoons I really liked, but couldn't find on youtube.  I think I still have them on a video tape.  Maybe I ought to put them on youtube.

Written By: Dukefan on 03/14/08 at 12:16 am

We had cable very early on, and our parents got the Disney Channel for us almost right after it's inception in the mid 80s.  To begin with it was almost like the TLC Channel...a lot of educational programming with some of Disney's older cartoons and television shows from the 40s/50s.  They also had some original children's series like Dumbo's Circus and Pooh Corner. (I vividly remember watching both shows as a small child)

For a while they actually had an adult drama series...I can't remember what it was called at the moment but it seems like it was set in 1800s Kansas or something.

Around 1990 it turned into a kids entertainment channel and the educational stuff went away, as if they were trying to follow Nickelodeon's lead.   This is of course when the new MMC and Kids Incorporated came around.  There was another big shift around 2000 when ALL of Disney's older stuff went off the air and it pretty much became the Tween network 24-7.  Basically it's went all to hell.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/14/08 at 1:44 am

I remember The Disney Afternoon very well. That was required viewing everyday after school when I was a kid 8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/16/08 at 2:12 pm

I remember when you had to pay extra for it-but it wasn't as much as HBO or the other movie channels. I like it because they showed a lot of movies that you didn't get on the other movie channels-like all the classic Disney movies. But, one time I remember watching 1941-which believe it or not, was a Disney film (not to mention Stephen Speilberg). And I noticed that a lot of it was cut-like some of the language. I understand that it was supposed to be a kids' channel and it was not too kosher having a movie that including some..um..."colorful metaphors" as Spock referred to them as. But, to me, it just took away from the movie. Why bother showing the movie at all if they are going to cut it.

Then at some point, they will show movies but they have breaks-like commercials but the only thing they are advertising is themselves. And they are so much longer than regular commercial breaks on network t.v. So, needless to say, I have not watch the Disney channel for ANYTHING in so long. It is just annoying to watch anything on that channel if you ask me.

Cat 

Written By: shiroihikari on 03/26/08 at 5:42 am

The Disney Channel used to be loads of fun.  My dad subscribed to it rather than HBO (which he didn't like for some reason).  I had VHS tapes chock full of stuff he recorded for me off there. 

Does anybody remember when they showed The Raccoons?  I loved that show.

Anyway, even when Disney Channel does show classic stuff, I don't even bother watching it because I can't stand their shameless, blatant self-promotion.  8-P

Written By: nally on 03/26/08 at 5:29 pm

I remember The Disney Afternoon too! It aired in syndication, I think...because I know that during the 90's I'd watch it on KCAL-9 in Los Angeles (since that's the station that carried those shows locally). And each of those programs was gradually moved to The Disney Channel, which I never really watched until after we got cable, which was in the 2000's.

As for the programs that air there now, I like watching the sitcoms ("Suite Life", "Hannah Montana", "That's So Raven", "Cory In The House")... even though they're geared towards a younger audience (i'm in my late 20s now), I find them interesting. :)

Written By: woops on 08/11/08 at 12:41 am

Only watch "Phineas & Ferb", though only time to time

Written By: nally on 08/11/08 at 10:58 pm

Only watch "Phineas & Ferb", though only time to time

These days I've been watching that show a little more; for an animated program it's quite interesting. It's amazing what kind of things the title characters can think up.

Written By: whistledog on 08/11/08 at 11:10 pm

In Canada, we have "The Family Channel" which airs alot of the Disney Channel and Nickelodeon originals. 

http://www.newswire.ca/images/companies/familychannel.gif

Sometimes late at night, if I can't fall asleep, I will watch 'Cory in the House', 'That's So Raven' or 'The Suite Life of Zack and Cody' and I'm out like a light lol

The Family Channel has a few original shows created for Canadian TV that are also shown in the US and/or other countries.  Anyone heard of or seen these? ... 

♦ Radio Free Roscoe
♦ Life With Derek
♦ Naturally, Sadie
♦ King
♦ Darcy's Wild Life (a joint production between The Family Channel and Discovery Kids)

Written By: nally on 08/11/08 at 11:12 pm

In Canada, we have "The Family Channel" which airs alot of the Disney Channel and Nickelodeon originals. 

Sometimes late at night, if I can't fall asleep, I will watch 'Cory in the House', 'That's So Raven' or 'The Suite Life of Zack and Cody' and I'm out like a light lol

The Family Channel has a few original shows created for Canadian TV that are also shown in the US and/or other countries.  Anyone heard of or seen these? ... 

♦ Radio Free Roscoe
♦ Life With Derek
♦ Naturally, Sadie
♦ King
♦ Darcy's Wild Life (a joint production between The Family Channel and Discovery Kids)

I know about Life With Derek...that show airs on Disney Channel. I never watch it, though.

We used to have a Family Channel in the US, but it later got renamed Fox Family Channel; now it's called ABC Family.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/12/08 at 9:15 pm

♦ Radio Free Roscoe
♦ Life With Derek
♦ Naturally, Sadie
♦ King

"Radio Free Roscoe" comes on a network on my satellite service called "The N", and "Darcy's Wild Life" airs on the "Discovery Kids Channel" here. I have seen a few minutes of those two shows but what I saw of them was pretty bad.

We used to have a Family Channel in the US, but it later got renamed Fox Family Channel; now it's called ABC Family.

I thought of that channel as well. I watched it a good bit when we got it on our cable package in the mid '90s. It aired mostly game shows and even some older cartoons I think.

Written By: nally on 08/13/08 at 11:39 am

I thought of that channel as well. I watched it a good bit when we got it on our cable package in the mid '90s. It aired mostly game shows and even some older cartoons I think.

And nowadays it airs some of ABC's older shows (which ABC mostly aired during the 90's), such as "Sister Sister", "Sabrina The Teenage Witch" (which moved to the WB in the 00's), "Step By Step", and they still have "Full House." They also air programs that used to be on WB such as "Gilmore Girls" and "Grounded For Life".

Written By: fusefan on 08/15/08 at 1:29 am

I miss the way the Disney channel was in the 90s. Vault Disney was awesome! I can't stand all this middle school drama crap that is has been for the past 8 or so years.  8-P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/15/08 at 9:23 pm

♦ Radio Free Roscoe
♦ Life With Derek
♦ Naturally, Sadie
♦ King

The network called "The Family Channel" here in the U.S. broadcasts Pat Robertson's 700 Club, which makes it more like the Manson Family Channel!
:o

Diseny arrived a little late in the game for me to get into it. 

Written By: woops on 08/16/08 at 8:50 pm

Ugh, Toon Disney is a mess  8-P

Heck, even the older Power Rangers, which never were animated...unless the CGI effects  count  ::) , have been neglected, though I  now find the show too corny.

Boomerang is still good, which "Dexter's Lab" still holds up well.

Written By: nally on 03/16/09 at 1:08 pm

Ugh, Toon Disney is a mess  8-P

Heck, even the older Power Rangers, which never were animated...unless the CGI effects  count  ::) , have been neglected, though I  now find the show too corny.

And last month, it became "Disney XD" and is airing more modern shows now. ::)

I wish they'd bring back some of those old classic Disney cartoon shows...and possibly launch "the New Toon Disney" (a completely different channel)? Of course, after a while that would probably get crazy too. :-X

Written By: woops on 03/16/09 at 2:10 pm

I find it suprising that "Power Rangers" are not on Disney XD, which the final season is now exclusive to ABC Kids and that's constantly pre-empted by sports and aired during the dusk in most affiliates. Plus, Saturday mornings are pretty much a thing of the past.  Pretty much the equivalent of putting a show on Friday night. 

New episodes of "Phineas & Ferb" now airs exclusively to Disney XD.

"Jimmy Two Shoes" is OK though.  "Aaron Stone(r)" is pretty much garbage.

Written By: Kyle23 on 06/20/09 at 8:40 pm

The Disney Channel was good in the late 1990s-early 2000s, even 2003 it was not that bad.  You had your little kid Disney in the morning with Rolie Polie Olie, Out of the Box, Bear In The Big Blue House, PB&J Otter, etc.  Then you got this afternoon Zoog Disney which is like the current Disney and it showed Lizzie McGuire, Even Stevens, Boy Meet World, Sister Sister, etc. that junk along with the Weekenders.  Then at night it was a movie or some cool Disney Channel show that was "Walt Disney" Disney, not Buena Vista Hollywood Records Jonas Brother Disney.  It shown some Mickey Mouse, Dumbo crap.

Written By: Kyle23 on 06/20/09 at 8:43 pm

I miss the way the Disney channel was in the 90s. Vault Disney was awesome! I can't stand all this middle school drama crap that is has been for the past 8 or so years.   8-P

The older Zoog Disney was good with Lizzie McGuire.  Now we have low IQed shows with stupid people like Hannah Montana which is a really bad ripoff to Sister Sister or something like that.  Lizzie and Even was very intelligent at the time.  It don't seem intelligent and entertaining, but you'll see.

Written By: Michael C. on 06/21/09 at 9:33 am

I'd actually watch the Disney Channel if they'd show some of their older Live Action Film
  Condorman
  Last Flight of Noah's Ark. The
  Herbie Goes Bananas
  Black Hole, The
  Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Agai
  Pete's Dragon
  Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo
  World's Strongest Athlete, The
  Gus
  Apple Dumpling Gang, The
  Herbie Rides Again
  Computer Wore Tennis Shoes, The
  Bedknobs and Broomsticks
  Million Dollar Duck, The
  Blackbeard's Ghost
  Boatniks, The
  Love Bug, The
  One of Our Dinosaurs Is Missing
  Ugly Dachshund, The
  Darn Cat, That
  Mary Poppins
  Dr. Syn : The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh
  Swiss Family Robinson
  Shaggy Dog, The

Classics even the Hanna Montana/High School Musical/Jonas Brothers Generation could & should enjoy.

Written By: Kyle23 on 06/21/09 at 4:48 pm

I'd actually watch the Disney Channel if they'd show some of their older Live Action Film
  Condorman
  Last Flight of Noah's Ark. The
  Herbie Goes Bananas
  Black Hole, The
  Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Agai
  Pete's Dragon
  Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo
  World's Strongest Athlete, The
  Gus
  Apple Dumpling Gang, The
  Herbie Rides Again
  Computer Wore Tennis Shoes, The
  Bedknobs and Broomsticks
  Million Dollar Duck, The
  Blackbeard's Ghost
  Boatniks, The
  Love Bug, The
  One of Our Dinosaurs Is Missing
  Ugly Dachshund, The
  Darn Cat, That
  Mary Poppins
  Dr. Syn : The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh
  Swiss Family Robinson
  Shaggy Dog, The

Classics even the Hanna Montana/High School Musical/Jonas Brothers Generation could & should enjoy.

I think they will be interested in this old stuff.  I heard that little kids from Iraq love Tom and Jerry, a good old American cartoon.

Check for new replies or respond here...