inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Awesome movie cars

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/29/08 at 9:26 am

Whee

...that don't need roads!

Subject: Re: Awesome movie cars

Written By: Davester on 03/29/08 at 9:57 am

Ha!  1961 Ferrari 250 GT California with odometer that runs backwards..!

Written By: shiroihikari on 03/29/08 at 3:26 pm

Ah yes, the DMC-12.  I'll always have a soft spot for that car.

Written By: gumbypiz on 03/29/08 at 11:01 pm

Hmph.  :P

Don't get me started on this list.

First, the DMC-12, while accepting its place in movie icon history for Back to the Future, the thing is a SLUG. The car drivetrain is the slowest (6 cyl engine shared with Volvo & Renault), vile handling turd to ever make it on the road. The looks and stainless steel body notwithstanding. A serious (or un-serious) joke of a sports car if there  ever was one. A modern day Kia going in reverse would run rings around a DeLorean and would beat it to 60. Why do you think the movie made such a big deal of the car making it to 80 to time travel? Thats because thats the best a DMC-12 could do!

Second the Ferrari GT California in Ferris Buller's Day Off is a FAKE (a one off made on a MGB chassis). Obviously, no one would risk harm to one of these rare cars and if they wanted to bypass the mileage issue, they could of simply disconnected the odometer cable (you could still do that back in the day) with no worries...

In addition, the lists is missing some of the greatest movie "cars" that ever existed.

Where is:

Smokey and the Bandit's Pontiac Trans Am

The Blues Brothers "Bluesmobile"

Mad Max's Ford Falcon Interceptor (w/blower, yes its fake too).

Christine's evil Plymouth Fury (actually a Belvedere dressed up to look like a Fury).

Gone in 60 Seconds's Elanor (both the original '72 Mustang Mach 1 & the remakes fake mock up of a Shelby '67 Mustang)

Most of the cars from the movie "Gumball Rally" Ferrari Daytona, Cobra 427, plus many others...

Sorry but the list is incomplete and some of the choices are not worth listing at all (Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift? C'mon!) ::)

Written By: Davester on 03/30/08 at 12:50 pm

Hmph.  :P

In addition, the lists is missing some of the greatest movie "cars" that ever existed.

Where is:

Smokey and the Bandit's Pontiac Trans Am

Mad Max's Ford Falcon Interceptor (w/blower, yes its fake too).

Sorry but the list is incomplete and some of the choices are not worth listing at all (Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift? C'mon!) ::)

I was looking for these as well...

Hmph-hmph...

Written By: Tia on 03/30/08 at 1:02 pm

no dirty mary crazy larry yellow charger?

Written By: Davester on 03/30/08 at 1:06 pm

no dirty mary crazy larry yellow charger?

I've heard Crazy Mary & Dirty Larry described as the ultimate car chase movie and car chase movies are good to go...

It's the other way around, actually... ::)

Written By: Tia on 03/30/08 at 1:14 pm

I've heard Crazy Mary & Dirty Larry described as the ultimate car chase movie and car chase movies are good to go...

It's the other way around, actually... ::)
it's a natural mistake. :D

Written By: Davester on 03/30/08 at 1:44 pm

it's a natural mistake. :D

I'm, you know...a dork and stuff... :D

Written By: midnite on 03/31/08 at 10:54 pm

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang had to be the best car in a movie - it flies and goes through the dimensions into a cartoon universe.  Fun!

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/01/08 at 12:47 am

First, the DMC-12, while accepting its place in movie icon history for Back to the Future, the thing is a SLUG. The car drivetrain is the slowest (6 cyl engine shared with Volvo & Renault), vile handling turd to ever make it on the road. The looks and stainless steel body notwithstanding. A serious (or un-serious) joke of a sports car if there  ever was one. A modern day Kia going in reverse would run rings around a DeLorean and would beat it to 60. Why do you think the movie made such a big deal of the car making it to 80 to time travel? Thats because thats the best a DMC-12 could do!

You're absolutely right on all points, and yet you're still missing the point, which is this: a DeLorean will still turn heads, wherever it's parked. 

The beauty of the DeLorean is that you can buy one on eBay for between $8-15K.  Anyone can do it.  There aren't any more being made.  The body panels are (heavy!) stainless steel, which is a horrible thing for performance, but a wonderful thing for maintenance -- you never have to worry about waxing or paint scractches, and you really can detail your car with nothing but a piece of steel wool so long as you move the wool in the side of the factory brushing of the aluminum.

A DMC isn't a high-performance sports car, but it's still cool as all get out, and dang near anyone can afford one.

That's awesome.  It means that everyone with $100K to blow on a car is buying something expensive and faster.  Everyone with $10K to spend on a car is buying a reliable Toyota or Hyundai.  The DMC occupies that middle ground -- someone who wants something wacky and crazy, but doesn't want to spend $100K to get it.  Sluggish and poor-handling as they may be compared to most cars of the 80s, they're still beautiful, and I'd gladly consider a DeLorean as a second car, and if I were the sort of guy to have room and time to store/maintain three cars, I'd absolutely have one as my third car for no reason other than that I'd feel like Marty P. Fox while driving one.  How often are you ever doing triple digits on the Interstate?  How often do you need to go, as Rihanna put it, from 0-60 in 3.5?

I'm the first to admit that as a sports car, the DeLorean represents everything that was wrong about the 80s, but I remind you that as a piece of art, and as a monument to its designer's historical levels of cocaine-fueled hubris, that it's also everything that was right about the 80s :)

Written By: KKay on 04/03/08 at 2:46 pm

out by where i live is a place called Showcars and they supply bthe cars for tv and movies..cop cars and taxis and the like...the best is taht for years now, i have been driving past this cool vehicle-

http://kreations.kaptainmyke.com/cp/cpimg/headers/zapem.png

it's been sitting there for years: probably waiting for another sequel.

Check for new replies or respond here...