inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The longjevity of hatred for 70's disco music:

Written By: tv on 04/20/08 at 3:24 pm

Is it me or was Disco hated not only in the 80's but was hated or a puncline in the 90's too? In my opinion it wasn't until 2001 when the hatred of disco stopped. What does everybody else think?

Subject: Re: The longjevity of hatred for 70's disco music:

Written By: whistledog on 04/20/08 at 3:46 pm

Disco wasn't hated in the 80s

Written By: cooper street relic on 04/20/08 at 8:17 pm

disco disCO  diSCO  DISCO >:( >:( >:(ahhhhhh 8-P

Written By: midnite on 04/20/08 at 9:14 pm

I agree. Disco was hated in the 80's.  Everyone made fun of the polyester jumpsuits. 

Similarly, 80's music was hated in the 90's.  Everyone made fun of the 80's styles as well. 

And now, 90's music is considered by many to be bland, though current music seems worse than 90's music to me.  Hmmmm.

This will always happen. Generations will always go against the previous generation. Youth drives the music scene.  80's youth did not experience the 70's music so they didnt like it. 

Just my thoughts

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/20/08 at 11:14 pm

I agree. Disco was hated in the 80's.  Everyone made fun of the polyester jumpsuits. 

Similarly, 80's music was hated in the 90's.  Everyone made fun of the 80's styles as well. 

And now, 90's music is considered by many to be bland, though current music seems worse than 90's music to me.  Hmmmm.

This will always happen. Generations will always go against the previous generation. Youth drives the music scene.  80's youth did not experience the 70's music so they didnt like it. 

Just my thoughts

Good observations.  I should also point out that disco was also hated in the 70's.

Written By: woops on 04/21/08 at 4:10 pm

Though way before my time, can't stand disco music... Bellbottoms, polyester, platform shoes oh my!  :o 8-P

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/24/08 at 12:06 am

Without getting into a "this is your time and this isn't" argument, I can remember things clearly starting around 6 or 7 years old, and I can remember liking some songs even earlier. I do think the previous decade's hatred has gone down slightly since the '70s though.

As far as disco, yeah it does seem like it's one of those things people are quick to make fun of. Probably for the styles and the image more than the music, because I think the music was influential on '80s synthpop/dance and even some hip hop in a weird way. The '70s revival was really big around 1998 and it seemed to be more accepted for awhile then (movies like The Full Monty and Studio 54).

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/24/08 at 12:14 am

<-----------------Loves disco. ;)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/24/08 at 12:19 am

<---------------------------- Loves Disco too!!  ;) ;) ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/24/08 at 12:23 am

Good observations.  I should also point out that disco was also hated in the 70's.

That's true too, from what I've seen later. Like, it seems like alot of the rockers and rock fans hated it around 1976-79/80 when it was actually occuring. Like they were rebelling against it. I've never understood that, how some people don't accept other genres outside of a particular one. It's like wouldn't that get boring to have no variation? I've always been sort of just a general pop listener, but I like alot of music.

'80s music seemed to be very mainstream (regardless of genre) and all over the board, which probably made it easier for me to be accepting of so much. I heard so many styles on the radio when I was, like 5 years old and didn't even realize it. ;)

Written By: coqueta83 on 04/24/08 at 1:37 am

I love disco, too! The whole disco revival in the 90's was a lot of fun!  :D :D

Written By: mandamoo on 04/25/08 at 2:51 am

That makes four of us  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/25/08 at 3:43 am

That makes four of us  ;)
70's disco brings back naostalgia.

Written By: mandamoo on 04/25/08 at 4:27 am

70's disco brings back naostalgia.

It also makes me happy  :)

Written By: woops on 04/25/08 at 12:56 pm

I remember, though I was more fascinated with the swing revival  8)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/25/08 at 5:40 pm

A major reason disco got so much hate is because it was so pervasive at its peak, it sort of "took over the world".  Mainstream media was overdoing disco and "shoving it down our throats", so to speak.  Disco also "divided" the masses in terms of what was listened to.  Pre-Disco, it was common for most to listen to Top 40, mixed in style as it was, and it was enjoyed.  Disco seemed incompatible with harder rock, but the songs were still initially presented mixed in many mediums (like radio), thus many tuned out then, then sought out "specialized" outlets that only did rock or only did disco.  Then there were artists.  Artists who didn't jump on the disco bandwagon were often being relegated to second class promotion then.  For instance, reading the bio of the group War, it was disco that contributed greatly to their popularity decline, since they weren't a "disco" artist.  Many 70's artists did not survive the disco era (popularity-wise).  Others adapted, taking on a disco-type style at the time of the genre's peak.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/26/08 at 7:04 am

Geez Louise  Some people hated disco, some loved it, just like Rock and Roll, Jazz, Ragtime, Classical, Baroque, ad infinatum.  It wasn't some widespread phenomenon. Every time there is a different type of music there are people who make a big stink about it. 

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 05/02/08 at 1:59 pm

Disco was really the first fad in pop music, if you think about it. Rock had been around for 20 years before disco got huge, and it had proven to have a lot of diversity and longevity. Disco, on the other hand, was simple dance music, nothing more, and since it was the first type of music to promote style over substance, it is no wonder it got treated so badly. Case and point - when people insult disco, they usually remark about Studio 54 or the outlandish fashion - never the music itself (because, especially toward the end of the era, the music was far from the most defining part). It isn't just disco that gets so much heat though, just look at hairmetal, teen pop, nu metal, and soon to be emo  ;). Disco was just the first of its kind, thats all.

Written By: Shacks Train on 05/20/08 at 2:17 am

That ROTTEN FLIPPIN DISCO DUCK song! >:(
Hurray for Zappa's Disco Boy & Dancing Fool!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/23/08 at 10:11 am

There are some disco songs that I like and some that I don't like. What really bothered me was when they have to remake a non-disco song and put a disco beat to it.  8-P 8-P 8-P

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/25/08 at 7:48 am

What really bothered me was when they have to remake a non-disco song and put a disco beat to it.  8-P 8-P 8-P

Can I get a big AMEN?  ;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/25/08 at 11:09 pm

There are some disco songs that I like and some that I don't like. What really bothered me was when they have to remake a non-disco song and put a disco beat to it.  8-P 8-P 8-P

Look, when I was growing up, we had to walk to the dance club in our bare feet.  Uphill.  Both ways.  In the snow.  And we didn't have no iPod shuffles.  We only had a C-20 cassette on autoloop, with the 7:55 disco mix of KISS's I Was Made For Lovin' You on one side, and the 9:59 extended version of Witch Queen's cover of Bang a Gong, and we... well, liked is probably too strong a word, but the two minutes of blank space on the first side weren't too bad.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/25/08 at 11:31 pm

Look, when I was growing up, we had to walk to the dance club in our bare feet.  Uphill.  Both ways.  In the snow. 

;D  Good one!

I think the bare feet uphill in the snow deal was more comfortable than some of those 70's platforms I remember having...  ::)

And we didn't have no iPod shuffles.  We only had a C-20 cassette on autoloop, with the 7:55 disco mix of KISS's I Was Made For Lovin' You on one side, and the 9:59 extended version of Witch Queen's cover of Bang a Gong, and we... well, liked is probably too strong a word, but the two minutes of blank space on the first side weren't too bad.

You had the fancy C-20 cassette on autoloop!  WOW!!!  I'm jealous - all I had was the stupid 8 track.  Four minutes of blank space there - and my fast forward button kept on getting stuck!  ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/27/08 at 10:32 pm

Disco did indeed elicit an unwarranted hatred.  It was an urban thing, it was a Latin thing, it was a black thing, and it was a gay thing.  If you were driving a truck out in Nebraska, you weren't included in the fun.  I saw a great deal of Urban/suburban versus urban divide in the animus against it.  I was a child in southern New Hampshire in the heydey of Disco, so I got to know the rallying cry "Disco sucks" pretty well.  The music transformed into hip-hop, R&B, and House music, but it never really receded from the urban scene.  Chic suburbanites ventured back into it after it was safely distinguishable from Disco and now it is part of that universal pop sound. 

Rock 'n' Rollers will never admit it, but music pioneered in the '70s by producers such as Giorgio Moroder and Nile Rogers is having a more significant influence on pop-music post-1990 than sounds pioneered by Flatt & Scrugs or Sun Records. 

Rock 'n' Roll always posed like it won the battle, but it lost the war.

Yeah, a lot of the music was trite crap and the styles didn't age well...but that's how I feel about Grunge too!
8)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/28/08 at 1:03 am

Disco did indeed elicit an unwarranted hatred.  It was an urban thing, it was a Latin thing, it was a black thing, and it was a gay thing.  If you were driving a truck out in Nebraska, you weren't included in the fun. 

Ummm...  :-\\

It's kinda funny, actually. My older brothers, who were teenagers in the 70's, were rabid disco haters. They were into what is now considered classic rock, and they had quite a bit of influence over me, so I got on the "disco sucks" bandwagon myself.

My own feeling about the anti-disco thing was that disco got way oversaturated, and it led to a backlash among white rock n'rollers. Not to mention that in the 80's, there was a huge aversion to anything from the 70's. You wouldn't have been wanted to be caught dead wearing a pair of bell-bottoms in, say, 1987.

It seemed that the whole 90's disco revival was due to 2 things: 1) the whole 20-year retro cycle and 2) enough time had passed that people were willing to keep more of an open mind and they (like myself) realized that all genres of music have their great songs and their crappy songs, and disco was no exception. One of my brothers who, as a teenager was way into Led Zeppelin, started to really like KC and the Sunshine Band when he hit his late 30's.

As far as "truck drivers from Nebraska" go, well, maybe 30 years ago that might have been the case but when I was driving cross-country, I used to love driving through big cities and searching out the "jammin' oldies" stations. One of my favorite memories from when I was trucking was barreling down the I-294 tollway around Chicago on a nice summer day while "Disco Inferno" by the Trammps was blasting out of my radio.

For some reason, that song really made me want to stomp on the gas.  ;)

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/28/08 at 10:59 pm

One of my favorite memories from when I was trucking

Offtopic:  Dude, you were a trucker?  As a four-wheeling guy who likes to "buy stuff" and "eat food", thanks.  (And please accept my apologies on behalf of my fellow four-wheelers who don't know how to drive.  Failing that, here's some karma.)

was barreling down the I-294 tollway around Chicago on a nice summer day while "Disco Inferno" by the Trammps was blasting out of my radio.

For some reason, that song really made me want to stomp on the gas.  ;)

Ontopic:  First time my four-wheeler ever hit triple digits was during the organ solo to Captain and Tennille's Can't Stop Dancin'.  I was dumb enough to go 100mph on a public road, and while I was smart enough not to tell 'em what I was listening to, it was a group of truckers who told me that Smokey wasn't watching anything in the next ten miles, rather than calling me in, so... thanks again :)

Obligatory disco foot-to-the-floor track:  Patrick Hernandez, Born to be Alive, and I'm gonna suggest any mix, but particularly the 5:38 X-Mix version that discreetly sneaks in "It's worked so far but we're not out yet" (Dr. "Bones" McCoy from Star Trek, as sampled from Information Society's I Want To Know What You're Thinking) for an 80s touch to a 70s disco classic.

Obligatory rock/disco crossover:  Paul Sabu, Rockin' Rollin' Disco King, ca. 1979.  There was no real reason why rock and disco couldn't have gotten along.  With the benefit of almost 30 years of hindsight, this track could have proved the point.  This track could have been to disco/rock, what ZZ Top's Afterburner was to rock/synthpop, what Aerosmith/Run-DMC's Walk This Way was to rock/rap, and what Anthrax/Public-Enemy's I'm the Man was to metal/rap.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/29/08 at 1:38 am

Offtopic:  Dude, you were a trucker?  As a four-wheeling guy who likes to "buy stuff" and "eat food", thanks.  (And please accept my apologies on behalf of my fellow four-wheelers who don't know how to drive.  Failing that, here's some karma.)

Yeah, but please don't tell my folks that.

They still think I'm a piano player in a whorehouse.  :D

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s78/AL-B_photos/whorehousepianoplayerjpg.jpg

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/29/08 at 1:56 am

They still think I'm a piano player in a whorehouse.  :D

Ah, I hear ya (had a job or two like that myself).

But as for whorehouse piano players... John Valby has spent the past 30 years making whorehouse piano playing seem like the coolest job in the universe, and he's still going strong.  We're gonna need a more disreputable cover story :)

Check for new replies or respond here...