inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: James Stewart

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/27/08 at 9:19 pm

Hi Everyone!  :)

I wasn't quite sure of where to post this particular thread and mods if you wanna move it, feel free.

I just want to say that I am really huge fan of actor James Stewart. (Jimmy to me. lol) I stumbled across Jimmy in a very cute comedy called Harvey in which he plays a man whose companion is a 6 foor tall bunny that only he can see. I just thought he was so charming, that I had to see more of his work and now have seen so many of his films, I can't count them. (I watched Philidelphia Story   just to see Cary Grant punch him...and push Katherine Hepburn down.  ;D LOL) I know that it's been almost 11 years since Jimmy has passed on to the great beyond, but I just wanted to mention him and say that he's my favorite actor of all time. He had a vast career that spanned several decades and his career spawned dozens of classic films from Vertigo to Mr. Smith Goes To Washington.

http://blogs.chron.com/tmi/Stewart_A.jpg

James Stewart
1908-1997

If anyone else wants to maybe talk about what movies they like by Jimmy, or jist about the actor himself, feel free.
  ;)

Subject: Re: James Stewart

Written By: Green Lantern on 04/27/08 at 9:38 pm

Hi Apollonia ... good idea for some threads !  :) If there are other actors that come to mind ... go for it.

Yeah, I like a lot of those classic Hollywood actors. For me, Jimmy Stewart will always most be defined in 'Mr. Smith goes to Washington' ... a movie that I listed some time back ... as amongst my 50 ? all time greats ! His character ... standing up against overwhelming opposition .... to defend the truth / concepts of justice .... the way HE saw it ....

Maybe there's certain parallels between him and 'Mister' (?)  ???  :-X  :P  ;D

Anyway, great actor, and great movie !  8)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/27/08 at 10:18 pm

I love Jimmy Stewart! I love, It's A Wonderful Life...and Vertigo.

Written By: Green Lantern on 04/27/08 at 10:54 pm

I love Jimmy Stewart! I love, It's A Wonderful Life...and Vertigo.

Thanks for the reminder. 'It's a wonderful life'. How COULD I forget that ?  :-[  Yeah, can sort of relate to that character too... like have I truly been insignificant ?  ???  No question, for better or worse, I've influenced / changed the courses of some peoples lives ... sometimes subtly, sometimes profoundly. It's a sort of illustration of TRUE karma in action .... as opposed to the stuff that gets doled out here for whatever reason (not that I have any allergy to it !  ;)  ;D ).

Yes, one of his greatest roles !  8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/28/08 at 1:42 am

Over the years of watching movies in cinemas or on television, there has always been one actor that stands out and that has been James Stewart. His films and his acting style has stood out above other at the time of his repsective movie releases.

Written By: gibbo on 04/28/08 at 4:48 am

There are only a few male actors that are icons in the film industry and Jimmy Stewart is one of them (along with John Wayne, Charlton Heston, Gregory Peck and a number of others on a rung below them). But Jimmy was maybe the greatest...from the golden era.

All of those films mentioned were fantastic and I have most of them in my collection. I also enjoyed his performances in Rear Window and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Harvey was an excellent film and showed his comic timing as well.

Jimmy is in no danger of being forgotten....

Written By: whistledog on 04/28/08 at 12:18 pm

Remember that poem he read on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson, circa 1981?  An ode to his passing dog.  I watched the Carson DVDs and that clip was on it, and it really does birng a tear to your eye

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/29/08 at 6:21 pm

I love how versatile an actor Jimmy was. (I hate I missed that thing on Carson, I wasn't born then.  :( ) But he seemed like the type to pay homage to man's best friend. And I saw Liberty Vance. Usually I don't like western movies--which is strange because I live in Texas--but I really was fond of Jimmy in a western. I liked Bandolero too.  ;D I've seen so many of his movies, it's funny. And I really liked his appearance, he wasn't your typical movie stud. He was quirky, and handsome.  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/hhheart.gif

I miss him.  :(

(Should I start other actors threads, because there's a lot of "Old Hollywood" that I like.)

Written By: gibbo on 04/29/08 at 8:28 pm

I love how versatile an actor Jimmy was. (I hate I missed that thing on Carson, I wasn't born then.  :( ) But he seemed like the type to pay homage to man's best friend. And I saw Liberty Vance. Usually I don't like western movies--which is strange because I live in Texas--but I really was fond of Jimmy in a western. I liked Bandolero too.  ;D I've seen so many of his movies, it's funny. And I really liked his appearance, he wasn't your typical movie stud. He was quirky, and handsome.  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/hhheart.gif

I miss him.  :(

(Should I start other actors threads, because there's a lot of "Old Hollywood" that I like.)

I like this sort of stuff. You can do what you want.........sort of, build it and see if they come!

Written By: Green Lantern on 04/29/08 at 8:39 pm

Hi Apollonia ... good idea for some threads !  :) If there are other actors that come to mind ... go for it.

I like this sort of stuff. You can do what you want.........sort of, build it and see if they come!

How much encouragement do you need ?    ???

Written By: apollonia1986 on 05/08/08 at 6:46 pm

Hey Mr. Mister!

I started a Rudolph Valentino thread, but it doesn't look like anyone posted on it.  :) I hope they do.  8)

Written By: Gis on 05/09/08 at 8:47 am

I love James Stewart, truely a fantastic actor. He was also a war hero though he never mentioned it because that was the kind of guy he was.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/09/08 at 8:47 am

Hey Mr. Mister!

I started a Rudolph Valentino thread, but it doesn't look like anyone posted on it.  :) I hope they do.  8)
Do you have a link for this Rudolph Valentino thread?

Written By: ralfy on 08/17/16 at 12:40 pm

"‘Zuzu’ in town to mark film’s 70th anniversary"

http://www.fltimes.com/lifestyle/zuzu-in-town-to-mark-film-s-th-anniversary/article_be7b2c8a-5013-11e6-9fc7-1ffa64bc5903.html

Written By: apollonia1986 on 08/17/16 at 1:31 pm

How did you even FIND this thread?  ;D But that's cool Zuzu is still around.

Last year I came unglued in Florida when I saw the desk that Jimmy stood behind in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington as I was getting ready to go on the great movie ride. My friend had to push me because I stayed hovered around that desk and stopped up the line. LOL.

Check for new replies or respond here...