inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Songs you misperceived the lyrics of when you were younger?

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/29/08 at 8:27 am

I think as kids we tend to take things literally and don't always get the irony in things. There's tons of songs that I took a certain way when I was really young, and looking back now (or even by the time I was in, say Middle School) it's pretty funny to think about....especially because it all made sense to me at the time.

A few examples:

1. "Wrapped Around Your Finger" by The Police - I thought the title lyric was literal and that someone just had a really large finger he could fit around. ;D

2. "Little Red Corvette" by Prince, I thought was about driving too fast in a car (heck it's a good thing I didn't know what the real meaning was, lol).

3. Lots of Hall and Oates songs. For instance, I thought "Private Eyes" was about playing hide and seek, and that "One on One" was about playing video games.

Subject: Re: Songs you misperceived the lyrics of when you were younger?

Written By: midnite on 04/30/08 at 8:29 pm

Cool topic.

Prince - Soft And Wet / Dirty Mind.  Prince had ALOT of songs with implicit and explicit sexual connotations that I did not understand at the time.

Murray Head - One Night In Bangkok. I had no idea how wild and crazy Bangkok is/was.

Book Of Love - I Touch Roses.  I really thought it meant Roses.

Huey Lewis - I Want A New Drug.  I really didn't understand what drugs were then.

Madonna - Like A Virgin.  I had no idea what a virgin was at that time.

Written By: whistledog on 04/30/08 at 9:24 pm

Homosapien - Pete Shelley
Despite being a Top 10 hit in Canada in 1982, I don't really recall much about this song other than it's video which I remember very well (because it was the first time I ever saw a Commodore PET computer).  Naturally I thought Homosapien meant something else, which as it turns out, this song actually does make reference to gay sex.  Guess I wasn't totally wrong lol

Written By: midnite on 04/30/08 at 9:59 pm

Homosapien - Pete Shelley
Despite being a Top 10 hit in Canada in 1982, I don't really recall much about this song other than it's video which I remember very well (because it was the first time I ever saw a Commodore PET computer).  Naturally I thought Homosapien meant something else, which as it turns out, this song actually does make reference to gay sex.  Guess I wasn't totally wrong lol

True. True. I first heard that song only a few years ago.

Starlight Vocal Band - Afternoon Delight  (sex)
The Whispers - Rock Steady  (sex)

Michael Jackson - PYT (Pretty Young Thing) - I didnt know he liked them young, but now I do.    :o

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/01/08 at 4:31 pm

'when I was younger??'

:-'for forty days and forty nights I was on the cider'  in his great dance record Billie Jean, don't recall what the actual lyrics are but it aint those   ;D :-[ ;D

Written By: loki 13 on 05/01/08 at 4:39 pm

At the risk of embarrassing myself; when I was a mere lad of 13 I thought Squeezebox, by The Who wasabout.....
well --- an accordion. It wasn't until I was older, much older that I realized the whole song is a metaphor.

Written By: midnite on 05/01/08 at 7:23 pm

At the risk of embarrassing myself; when I was a mere lad of 13 I thought Squeezebox, by The Who wasabout.....
well --- an accordion. It wasn't until I was older, much older that I realized the whole song is a metaphor.

Good one.  So it isn't about an accordian?

Supertramp - Goodbye Stranger.  I though Mary and Jane were people.

Check for new replies or respond here...