inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Music About Real Life Events

Written By: Shacks Train on 05/14/08 at 2:11 am

Pukka Orchestra - Cherry Beach Express
http://www.zshare.net/audio/11995701229edaac/
article> http://www.canlaw.com/rights/cherrybeachexpress.htm

At the time of the songs release Toronto Police (52 division) actually called the radio station & had asked for the song to be pulled "off the airwaves"
David Marsden , then program director refused to do that & CFNY gave it more airplay!!!
As I understand it the cops began to wear t-shirts saying "Your Riding on The Cherry Beach Express"

Got one of your own >please post it!

http://www.marsdenglobal.com/

Subject: Re: Music About Real Life Events

Written By: KKay on 05/14/08 at 7:18 am

You mean...like the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald?

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald Online is dedicated to informing others about the sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald, which took the lives of twenty-nine men 30 years ago, affecting dozens of families and a countless number of friends and comrades of the shipping industry.  The Edmund Fitzgerald is lost, but not forgotten.

Written By: Shacks Train on 05/14/08 at 1:43 pm

Jackey Boy - Brian Plummer
http://www.zshare.net/audio/1116053595fb1e25/
Whats it about!?
http://www.execulink.com/~kbrannen/
&
Steinski & The Mass Media - The Motorcade Sped On
http://www.zshare.net/audio/11959402997af463/
&
Nash the Slash - Psychotic Reaction (about hinkley shooting Regan)
http://www.zshare.net/audio/11961081db199fd5/

Yes the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald...Funny how they never pinpionted what caused it to go down.The odd time the history netwok runs the doc. about that!
Thanks for your post!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/14/08 at 1:46 pm

As I recall, Ohio by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young   was about the shootings at Kent State University (back in 1970)

Written By: Shacks Train on 05/14/08 at 1:56 pm

Chicago DJ did this one about "Gacey"
It took over 5 years before he could air it!
http://www.zshare.net/audio/12025127f65534f3/
I liked the "No Tears For The Clown" t-shirt

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/14/08 at 3:00 pm

The song 19 by Paul Hardcastle- It's about the plight to understanding the traumatized Vietnam vet.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/14/08 at 4:01 pm

Tell Me Why I Don't Like Mondays-Boomtown Rats about a girl who went on a shooting spree. When asked why she did it, her response was "I don't like Mondays".

I'm sure I will think of more later.

Cat

Written By: KKay on 05/14/08 at 8:50 pm

Let 'im Dangle- elvis costello

Was about Chris Craig and Derek Bentley.

Derek Bentley (aged 19) and Christopher Craig (aged 16) broke into a London warehouse on 2 November 1952. Craig was armed with a revolver. The 2 youths were seen entering the premises and the police were called. Bentley and Craig then went on to the flat roof of the building (Barlow & Parker's Warehouse, Tanworth Road, Croydon) and hid behind a lift-housing.

Detective Sergeant Frederick Fairfax climbed on to the roof, and managed to grab Bentley. Craig shouted defiantly at the detective and Bentley managed to break Fairfax's grip. At this point, Bentley is supposed to have shouted "Let him have it Chris". Craig then fired the gun grazing the police officer's shoulder. Despite being wounded Fairfax continued after Bentley and managed to finally arrest him. Bentley told Fairfax that Craig had a Colt .45 and plenty of ammunition.

Following the arrival of more police officers, a group were sent on to the roof. The first policeman to appear on to the roof was Police Constable Sidney George Miles (age 42). He was immediately shot dead by Craig; being hit in the head. After exhausting his supply of ammunition, Craig leapt from the roof on to the road 30 feet below. He landed badly, fracturing his spine and left wrist. Craig was then arrested.

It was clear that even if Craig was found guilty of murder, he could not be sentenced to death; being 16 he was below the minimum age of 18 for execution. However, Derek Bentley was over 18 years' of age and could be sentenced to death.

Written By: whistledog on 05/14/08 at 10:54 pm

Penned by Bryan Adams, the 1980 hit 'Cover Girl' by Canadian band Prism was written about the tragic death of Canadian model and Playboy Playmate Dorothy Stratten.

Stratten was murdered earlier that year by her jealous husband Paul Snider, who shot her in the face before turning the gun on himself in their Los Angeles home

In 1983, Adams wrote another song about her titled 'The Best Was Yet to Come' which was originally submitted to be on the soundtrack to her biopic film 'Star 80'.  It ended up appearing as an album track on his LP 'Cuts Like A Knife' instead

Written By: karen on 05/15/08 at 8:39 am

It was clear that even if Craig was found guilty of murder, he could not be sentenced to death; being 16 he was below the minimum age of 18 for execution. However, Derek Bentley was over 18 years' of age and could be sentenced to death.

And maintained that "let him have it, Chris" meant give him the gun - not shoot him.

Written By: Shacks Train on 05/15/08 at 9:46 am

Heres an overlooked one!
U2 - Bloody Sunday!

Written By: karen on 05/15/08 at 10:24 am

Smoke on the Water - Deep Purple

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/15/08 at 11:31 am

Alice's Restaurant

Cat

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/15/08 at 11:48 am

Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Ole Oak Tree - Dawn featuring Tony Orlando
From the Library of Congress:

In October of 1971, newspaper columnist Pete Hamill wrote a piece for the New York Post called "Going Home." In it, college students on a bus trip to the beaches of Fort Lauderdale make friends with an ex-convict who is watching for a yellow handkerchief on a roadside oak. Hamill claimed to have heard this story in oral tradition.

In June of 1972, nine months later, Reader's Digest reprinted "Going Home." Also in June 1972, ABC-TV aired a dramatized version of it in which James Earl Jones played the role of the returning ex-con. A month-and-a-half after that, Irwin Levine and L. Russell Brown registered for copyright a song they called "Tie a Yellow Ribbon 'Round the Ole Oak Tree." The authors said they heard the story while serving in the military. Pete Hamill was not convinced and filed suit for infringement.

One factor that may have influenced Hamill's decision to do so was that, in May 1973, "Tie A Yellow Ribbon" sold 3 million records in three weeks.

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/22/14 at 2:39 am

Steinski & The Mass Media - The Motorcade Sped On

JjyFwbSNh4o

Where were you on November 22nd, 1963?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/09/14 at 8:27 am

Tell Me Why I Don't Like Mondays-Boomtown Rats about a girl who went on a shooting spree. When asked why she did it, her response was "I don't like Mondays".

Good choice. ;)

I believe another song about a "school shooting" type scenario was "Jeremy" by Pearl Jam. If I recall correctly, I think it was written about a true story of a bullied boy who committed suicide in front of his entire class sometime in the early '90s.

Written By: Howard on 12/09/14 at 2:38 pm

Billy Joel's Leningrad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgD_-dRZPgs

He tells a story about Leningrad.

Written By: nostalgicguy on 12/12/14 at 8:15 am

"Pumped Up Kicks" by Foster The People is supposedly based on the Columbine shootings. I heard one of the band members had a cousin that was at Columbine at the time of the shooting. This song can be based on any school shooting because in America they happen a lot.

Written By: whistledog on 05/09/22 at 11:57 pm

Saw a guest viewing this!

There were two hit songs in the 80s about the WWII Boeing B-52 bomber, The Enola Gay.  One in 1980 titled Enola Gay by British new wave group Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark and one in 1985 titled Shades Of 45 by a Canadian singer named Gary O'

OMD - Enola Gay (1980)
d5XJ2GiR6Bo

Gary O' - Shades Of 45 (1985)
ai6PlftGOIM

Written By: whistledog on 05/10/22 at 12:11 am

There are two hit songs that reference the town of Pompeii, which was buried by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 AD ...

Siouxsie and the Banshees - Cities In Dust (1986)
wsOHvP1XnRg

Bastille - Pompeii (2013)
F90Cw4l-8NY

Check for new replies or respond here...