inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Smelly memories

Written By: Brigitte on 05/14/08 at 11:08 pm

I was wondering what smells bring back memories for you all? Weird, I know, but I just purchased a bottle of Coppertone sun screen and the smell of it reminded me of going to a California beach when I was a teen in the 70's. It still smells the same as it did back then but it was called "Tanning lotion"

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/Brigitte_B/seventies/vintagead.jpg

Subject: Re: Smelly memories

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/14/08 at 11:20 pm

I was wondering what smells bring back memories for you all? Weird, I know, but I just purchased a bottle of Coppertone sun screen and the smell of it reminded me of going to a California beach when I was a teen in the 70's. It still smells the same as it did back then but it was called "Tanning lotion"

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/Brigitte_B/seventies/vintagead.jpg

I love that smell. It reminds me of when my mom would sunbathe in the backyard (which wasn't too often).

Here's a smell that I remember. When I was in elementary school we used to have this little store at the office. We could go there in the mornings before class and buy school supplies (pencils, paper, erasers, etc). There were these erasers that were brown and gummy...they were in the shape of a little square and they would crumble easily. I can still smell them in my mind!

Written By: Lindee on 05/15/08 at 11:13 am

I seem to remember a teacher calling those little brown erasers "art gum." The smell of the freshly mimeographed sheets of paper.
I also loved the smell of Coppertone suntan lotion.

From the 70s:
Bonne Bell lipsmackers,
Love's fresh lemon perfume/cologne
Coty Sweet Earth perfume in the small compact with 3 scents.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/15/08 at 11:35 am

A lot of colons/perfumes

There is one smell that I really can't define-I have smelled it in certain lotions (though I can't recall which ones). The smell just takes me back to another time and place but I can't recall specifically what it reminds me of. It definitely triggers a memory but what I haven't been able to figure out. It has been driving me crazy for many, many years now.

Cat

Written By: KKay on 05/15/08 at 11:55 am

new car smell with cigarette smoke....all the male adults in my life.  I love that smell.

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/15/08 at 3:25 pm

A lot of colons/perfumes

There is one smell that I really can't define-I have smelled it in certain lotions (though I can't recall which ones). The smell just takes me back to another time and place but I can't recall specifically what it reminds me of. It definitely triggers a memory but what I haven't been able to figure out. It has been driving me crazy for many, many years now.

Cat

Cat,
I usually don't point out typo's (as I think it's rude) but yours had me hysterical!  I believe you meant to type colognes and not colons (although the visual of that is hilarious).  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/15/08 at 5:23 pm

I seem to remember a teacher calling those little brown erasers "art gum." The smell of the freshly mimeographed sheets of paper.
I also loved the smell of Coppertone suntan lotion.

From the 70s:
Bonne Bell lipsmackers,
Love's fresh lemon perfume/cologne
Coty Sweet Earth perfume in the small compact with 3 scents.

YES! Art gum...that's it! :)

Written By: Dagwood on 05/15/08 at 6:08 pm

Polo cologne reminds me of the hot boy who's locker was next to mine in highschool.  He died a few days after in a bad accident that could have been prevented.  He passed someone on a blind curve and hit a car head on.  His girlfriend was pregnant and they were getting married.  Sad memories.

Drakkar Noir was worn by my favorite boyfriend ever.  Whenever I smell it I have happy memories.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/15/08 at 6:14 pm

Cat,
I usually don't point out typo's (as I think it's rude) but yours had me hysterical!  I believe you meant to type colognes and not colons (although the visual of that is hilarious).  ;D

:-[ :-[ :-[ :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I could blame it on the fact that I feel like s**t today.  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: coqueta83 on 05/15/08 at 7:25 pm

The scent of Bubble Yum, my Strawberry Shortcake doll, and rainbow sherbet from Thrifty are some of my favorite scented memories.  :)

Also, Dove soap always reminds me of my mother.

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/15/08 at 9:21 pm

:-[ :-[ :-[ :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I could blame it on the fact that I feel like s**t today.  :D ;D ;D

Cat

;D

Written By: ADH13 on 05/15/08 at 9:30 pm

Pipe Tobacco.

Old men used to smoke pipes alot when I was a kid.  I loved the smell then and still do.

Written By: Roadgeek on 05/24/08 at 11:14 pm

Mixture of popcorn and rubber, combined they generate powerful K-Mart memories. Don't ask why, it just does.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/08/08 at 8:40 pm

The smell of Noxema.  Every time I smell it I go back to the days of bad childhood sunburns.

Rave Hairspray, takes me back to being gassed with the stuff in the girls locker room in high school.

Peppermint, reminds me of what I ate constantly as a kid for upset stomach.  Including during school.

The smell of bubble gum, good memories enacted with that smell.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/12/08 at 9:01 pm

Wet boots and rain.
Wet dogs
Dry leaves
Chimney smoke
Fresh cider

Those are all things that go together if I think of Fall and Winter in my childhood. 

Written By: Midas on 06/15/08 at 10:52 am

Drakkar Noir was worn by my favorite boyfriend ever.  Whenever I smell it I have happy memories.

I have summa dat right now.  Had some in high school; my girlfriend likes it. ;)

The coppertone smell is forever etched in my memory.  Lots of days at the pool.

Agree shampoo & conditioner from the mid-80's...I can remember the scent.  I think they had a green apple scent.  All I know is that it smelled good. :)

The smell of the desert after the rain is awesome.  I wasn't particularly fond of it when I first moved to Phoenix as a kid, but I dig it now.

Written By: greenjello74 on 06/15/08 at 10:54 am

Loves Rain  Scent From the 70s

Written By: Lindee on 06/15/08 at 11:07 am

The scent of the original Clairol Herbal Essence shampoo. I don't care for the stuff they make now.

Written By: greenjello74 on 06/15/08 at 11:09 am

Crayons like they smelled when I was a little kid

Written By: ninny on 06/15/08 at 11:22 am

Fresh cut grass
The smell of gas
charcol cooked steaks and burgers
and the suntan lotion remind me off my youth

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/18/08 at 10:17 pm

My grandparents when I was little:

Scotch, rose perfume, pipe tobacco, freshly polished Queen Anne period furnishings, smoke from the hearth, a horsehair-kind of smell belonging to the antique rugs and upholstries, gingerman cookies, Coca-Cola....

Like a lot of children of hippies, my sugary memories are particularly strong, owing to a bland hippie diet at home where we were free of refined sugars, blanched flour, enhanced sodium, and all that other great stuff; we tended to wolf it when we got to Grandma's house!
;D

Anyway, back to the smells, my aunts or my uncle or both or all three and/or sometimes my dad genrally had a joint going in the basement lounge, so there was that.  Of course, I did not partake when I was four...nor did I identify the furniture period as Queen Anne, not Queen Anne-style, you know, from the period of Queene Anne in the early eighteenth century.  I wasn't Stewie Griffin, for chrissakes!
;)

Written By: gemini on 07/12/08 at 10:59 am

Play Doh

Coppertone Cocoa Butter

A certain lipstick my mom wore. When we were in the car I could always smell it and I would tell her it was making me "lipstick sick"  ;D

Bayer orange childrens aspirin

Certain childrens vitamins

My grandparents house

Downy fabric softener

If I get a whiff of anything that resembles any of these smells, it instantly takes me back to my childhood.  :(

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/12/08 at 3:49 pm

Charlie perfume - my sister used to drench her self in that stuff.

lilacs- I had a lilac bush outside of my bed room window.

chimney smoke - we had a fireplace

hall's cough drops - I hated those things.  Can't even stand to be around anyone who has the slightest sent on them.

lux soap - the house hold soap

Any type of fruity lip gloss. - Lip Smackers were always given to me as a gift for my birthday.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/15/08 at 10:06 pm

My sister had a madness for that lipgloss.  I didn't understand it. 

We too had a lilac bush.

Play-Doh, definitely!

I remember the sweet-tart aroma of children's aspirin.  Too bad a I associate it with being sick!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/unhappy.gif

Cider
PB&J
the weird "nothingness" odor of Pringles chips

Check for new replies or respond here...