inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Most Overrated Cartoons

Written By: woops on 05/26/08 at 9:40 pm

Some animation that I never understood the appeal...

1. "SpongeBob SquarePants"

It's pretty much too childish and the characters are one dimensional and very annoying. "Ren & Stimpy" &  "Rocko's Modern Life" are far much betteri and also appeals to both kids & adults.

2. "Family Guy"

While the first three seasons were funny, it was never that great of a show and don't know why it has such a huge cult following since it's mostly random pop culture referances that doesn't have anything to do with the plot and that the later seasons, mainly the horrid fifth season, tries too hard to be funny.

3. "Scooby Doo"

Watch one episode and basically seen 'em all.  Never understood the hype and Cartoon Network used to air the cartoon to the ground several years ago.

4. "Popeye"

Hardcore animation buffs are into Popeye, but I find the characters bland and Popeye's voice annoying. Also don't know what Popeye & Bluto see in Olive Oil?  ::)

Also not into anime.

Subject: Re: Most Overrated Cartoons

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/27/08 at 7:20 pm

It could just be that I'm out of the age demographic by about 10 years, but I also think Spongebob is extremely overrated. I have laughed at an episode or two, but it's really nothing special.

Family Guy is also a touch overrated. I loved the show in it's 1999-2002 period (before it was cancelled) but every since it returned a couple of years ago it has gotten less and less funnier.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/27/08 at 10:40 pm

Yeah, I'd say Spongebob is totally overrated.  I could never stand "Rugrats."  I also totally hate "Ed, Ed, and Eddy."  Of course, you could go back to the 1970s and 1980s when all cartoons on TV sucked.  Wooden Hanna-Barbara animation devolved from the 1960s to totally boring computer graphics.

For our classic 'toons, I can't call "Popeye" terrible.  I can say it's a twisted metaphor for the dark side of humanity bundled up for children!  The one I don't get: "Caspar the Friendly Ghost." 

He was a ghost, but in the end, nobody was really scared of him, but nobody really liked him either.  "Why is it," a great man once asked" that at the beginning of the every Caspar cartoon, he has no friends and everybody's scared of him, then at the end of the cartoon everybody loves Caspar, then at the beginning of the next Caspar cartoon, he has no friends and everybody's scared of him?  WHO IS THE REAL CASPAR?  Who is the one we don't get to see?
:o

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/28/08 at 9:29 pm

Nothing causes a cartoon to be overrated more than the nostalgia factor. How else could you explain cartoons we knew were bad 15 or 20 years ago suddenly becoming "gold standards". Admittedly, I'm guilty of this myself with cartoons from the '80s and '90s that I watched as a kid.

(i.e. the '87 version of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Alvin & The Chipmunks, early MMPR, etc.)

Don't get me wrong, I still like watching them, and they are better than the majority of today's cartoons, but even I can admit there not exactly "great" ;)

Written By: Bobby on 05/28/08 at 9:45 pm

For our classic 'toons, I can't call "Popeye" terrible.  I can say it's a twisted metaphor for the dark side of humanity bundled up for children!  The one I don't get: "Caspar the Friendly Ghost." 

Popeye back in it's vintage days in the 1940/50s were brilliant animations.  8)

The most overated cartoon for me at the moment is definitely Family Guy. I like it but it's just too American for me (for example, I only got a Kool Aid reference by looking it up on the internet afterwards) and the jokes can stretch far too long.

Written By: woops on 05/28/08 at 9:56 pm

As for nostalgia, there's only a few that stood the test of time like "Ren & Stimpy" and "Tiny Toon Adventures" while others like the "Power Rangers" (I know it's live action, but liked it as a kid)  tend to make me cringe.

Though that's just me and there's some old cartoons I just recently gotten into like majority of the Walter Lantz, 1995's "Little Lulu Show", and 20's Felix the Cat.

Also  "Looney Tunes" and majority theatrical animation weren't original intended for kids and were originally shown in the theatres for adults in between newsreels and films like "Casablanca" & "Gone With The Wind".

Written By: Bobby on 05/29/08 at 6:49 am

Nothing causes a cartoon to be overrated more than the nostalgia factor. How else could you explain cartoons we knew were bad 15 or 20 years ago suddenly becoming "gold standards". Admittedly, I'm guilty of this myself with cartoons from the '80s and '90s that I watched as a kid.

(i.e. the '87 version of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Alvin & The Chipmunks, early MMPR, etc.)

Don't get me wrong, I still like watching them, and they are better than the majority of today's cartoons, but even I can admit there not exactly "great" ;)

I know what you mean. I don't think the nostalgia factor has to be a technical thing as in 'how well the cartoon was made' or in some cases 'how well the plots were' (though cartoons like Dungeons and Dragons, Raccoons, Galaxy High School and Thundercats really did rock my world), it's a sentimental factor based on what influenced us and shaped our imagination as children at a time where everything seemed new and exciting for the first time.

For example, I used to watch Muppet Babies, Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles, Shoe People, Jimbo and the Jet Set, SuperTed, Bananaman, Chucklevision, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Around the world with Willy Fog, Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds, He-Man/She-Ra and technically they weren't amazing by any stretch of the imagination but they did shape my imagination as a child which is why these cartoons are sentimental to me.

Written By: Green Lantern on 05/29/08 at 6:59 am

I was a  'Popeye' fan. I guess it's partly the fantasy ... that eating a can of spinach .... can turn an ordinary guy .... into a 'Hulk' like character... who can dish out the dirt BIG  time .... to the bad guy ?  :-\\

'I'm Popeye the sailor man ...
I live in a jar of jam,
My legs are so sticky
Right up to my 'dicky'  ???    :o    ???
I'm Popeye the sailor man ! '

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8937/popeyecw3.gif

:D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/29/08 at 10:19 am

I know what you mean. I don't think the nostalgia factor has to be a technical thing as in 'how well the cartoon was made' or in some cases 'how well the plots were' (though cartoons like Dungeons and Dragons, Raccoons, Galaxy High School and Thundercats really did rock my world), it's a sentimental factor based on what influenced us and shaped our imagination as children at a time where everything seemed new and exciting for the first time.

For example, I used to watch Muppet Babies, Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles, Shoe People, Jimbo and the Jet Set, SuperTed, Bananaman, Chucklevision, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Around the world with Willy Fog, Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds, He-Man/She-Ra and technically they weren't amazing by any stretch of the imagination but they did shape my imagination as a child which is why these cartoons are sentimental to me.

Great point. Cartoons you watched as a kid will always be special to you because they remind you of what was a very fun, exciting, and worry free time in your life. For a lot of people, there childhood is one of the best times of there life, and watching the older cartoons take you back to a better time and place.

To be fair though, there were plenty of great cartoons that came out during the '80s and '90s. Disney toons like Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, and Talespin, others like the '93 version of Batman: The Animated Series, Tiny Toons, etc. are all great shows that have stood the test of time.

P.S. I forgot the TMNT were called the "Hero" Turtles in the UK. I wonder why they didn't refer to them as "Ninja's" like in the North American and other versions?

Written By: woops on 05/29/08 at 2:57 pm

Most of the "Silly Symphonies" seen are boring. Granted that they're well animated and ground breaking (for it's time), but lack entertainment value and only a few like "Three Little Pigs", "Woodland Cafe", and "Tortoise & The Hare" are good.

Written By: Bobby on 05/29/08 at 4:06 pm

Great point. Cartoons you watched as a kid will always be special to you because they remind you of what was a very fun, exciting, and worry free time in your life. For a lot of people, there childhood is one of the best times of there life, and watching the older cartoons take you back to a better time and place.

To be fair though, there were plenty of great cartoons that came out during the '80s and '90s. Disney toons like Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, and Talespin, others like the '93 version of Batman: The Animated Series, Tiny Toons, etc. are all great shows that have stood the test of time.

P.S. I forgot the TMNT were called the "Hero" Turtles in the UK. I wonder why they didn't refer to them as "Ninja's" like in the North American and other versions?

You are right, there were tons of great cartoons back in the day and there are some great cartoons these days, especially as the humour is more hip for adults to enjoy as well.

The 'hero' in TMNT happened because the UK censor's thought the term 'ninja' was too violent for a kids show, despite the fact they let the cartoon 'Samurai Pizza Cats' through the system.  ::) ;D

Written By: midnite on 05/29/08 at 6:43 pm

Ren And Stimpy was very popular. I always thought it was dumb.

Written By: Davester on 06/01/08 at 7:04 pm

Yeah, the toons I watched in the 70s-80s were actually pretty wretched.  I know it now and I may have even known it then, to a degree, but I watched Saturday morning cartoons out of a sense of obligation more than anything else.  We had alot of these "new adventures of"-type cartoons: all-new Popeyes, all-new Scooby Doos (Scrappy Doo), all-new Flintstones and all of their various spin-offs such as Pebbles and Bam-Bam and Fred & Barney & the Shmoo (and the New Shmoo, or whatever) or even something new that started-up around then - the cartoons-as-toy-commercials (or vice versa) 8-P.  Either that or we had cartoons based on freakin' video games which were pretty bad, quite frankly, despite the fact that in 1981-82 I never missed an episode of Pac Man...

SMCs were a ritual, plain and simple, and I wouldn't dream of missing them every weekend...

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/02/08 at 12:28 am

Yeah, the toons I watched in the 70s-80s were actually pretty wretched.  I know it now and I may have even known it then, to a degree, but I watched Saturday morning cartoons out of a sense of obligation more than anything else.  We had alot of these "new adventures of"-type cartoons: all-new Popeyes, all-new Scooby Doos (Scrappy Doo), all-new Flintstones and all of their various spin-offs such as Pebbles and Bam-Bam and Fred & Barney & the Shmoo (and the New Shmoo, or whatever) or even something new that started-up around then - the cartoons-as-toy-commercials (or vice versa) 8-P.  Either that or we had cartoons based on freakin' video games which were pretty bad, quite frankly, despite the fact that in 1981-82 I never missed an episode of Pac Man...

SMCs were a ritual, plain and simple, and I wouldn't dream of missing them every weekend...

Yeah, I remember several of those type shows from the late '80s/very early '90s, like "A Pup Named Scooby Doo", "Flinstone Kids", etc. On the video game front, I remember shows like "Super Mario Bros. Super Show" (one of the worst shows to come out before the year 2000 I have ever seen) and "Sonic the Hedgehog: The Animated Series" ( actually a pretty darn good show).

Same here with the Saturday morning cartoons. We didn't even have cable until I was almost 10, so that was just about my only way to watch cartoons anyway. I know that with Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, etc. nowadays there may not be a practical need for SMC's anymore, but in a way, it's kind of sad there pretty much dead today. I have very fond memories of getting up at 6:30 or 7 'o clock in morning on Saturdays as a kid just to sit in front of the tv for 6 plus hours watching cartoons.

Written By: Davester on 06/02/08 at 12:49 am

Yeah, I remember several of those type shows from the late '80s/very early '90s, like "A Pup Named Scooby Doo", "Flinstone Kids", etc. On the video game front, I remember shows like "Super Mario Bros. Super Show" (one of the worst shows to come out before the year 2000 I have ever seen) and "Sonic the Hedgehog: The Animated Series" ( actually a pretty darn good show).

Same here with the Saturday morning cartoons. We didn't even have cable until I was almost 10, so that was just about my only way to watch cartoons anyway. I know that with Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, etc. nowadays there may not be a practical need for SMC's anymore, but in a way, it's kind of sad there pretty much dead today. I have very fond memories of getting up at 6:30 or 7 'o clock in morning on Saturdays as a kid just to sit in front of the tv for 6 plus hours watching cartoons.

Ha, yeah, 6 'till noon, for years, in front of the toob watching overrated cartoons.  Sort of lowers the standard, eh?  I watch something like Animaniacs, Rug Rats, Doug or Spongebob and I think it's the epitome of animated storytelling... ???

You haven't been a kid unless you've been up at the crack of dawn, in a sleep induced stupor, stumbling into the kitchen with a blanket draped over your head, then shuffling back to the living room TV with a bowl and spoon in one hand, a carton of milk in the other and a box of froot loops tucked under your arm in time for the Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Show...

Written By: Bobby on 06/02/08 at 4:31 pm

You are absolutely right, Davester. One way of recycling cartoons was turning all the cartoon favourites into kids or using the offspring angle. Examples include Muppet Babies, Tiny Toons, Tom and Jerry Kids, Flintstone Kids, Droopy and Drippy show and that's just off the top of my head.

I still loved them though, lol.  :-[  ;D

Written By: woops on 06/02/08 at 9:11 pm

I watched "Muppet Babies" & "Flinstone Kids" back in the day, but I probably wouldn't like it now...

"Tiny Toon Adventures" stayed true to the classics, though it's not really a "younger version" since they're different characters and the original Looney Toons are their mentors.

"Baby Looney Tunes" and "Loonatics" are far worse and basically ruined everything.

Written By: whistledog on 06/02/08 at 9:16 pm

Ren And Stimpy was very popular. I always thought it was dumb.

The same here.  I never liked 'Beavis and Butthead' either

Written By: woops on 06/02/08 at 9:20 pm

I like both... though maybe because I'm a '90's kid  8)

Written By: woops on 06/02/08 at 9:49 pm

Harveytoons  8-P

Written By: Big Nasty on 06/02/08 at 10:01 pm

I am very old school as far as animation goes.  I think the entire Anime craze is ridiculous.  I think that they are mostly overrated as a whole. 

What ever happend to Saturday Morning Cartoons?

Written By: Davester on 06/02/08 at 10:53 pm

I am very old school as far as animation goes.  I think the entire Anime craze is ridiculous.  I think that they are mostly overrated as a whole. 

I don't have children but I wonder if kids even observe the ritual today.  Many things such as movies and tube are 'on-demand' now so Saturday Mornings™  may merely be...saturday mornings...

Remember when TV shows were only shown when they were shown?  If you caught them, you caught them.  If you didn't you had to wait.  I could get cartoons on Saturdays, of course, but also on late afternoons after school.  That was it...

Written By: Big Nasty on 06/02/08 at 10:59 pm

I remember when they had a show on Friday evening to preview the upcoming Saturday Morning Cartoon line-up.  Back in the days of Snorks, Smurfs, The Bugs Bunny and Road Runner Show, Hulk Hogans Rock and Wrestling, and such.

Written By: whistledog on 06/02/08 at 11:03 pm

Yeah, Anime is total crap.  Those old school cartoons of the 70s, 80s and even early 90s are where it's at.  That was good animation.  Most of the cartoons made today are really really bad

Written By: Step-chan on 06/02/08 at 11:08 pm

Yeah, Anime is total crap.  Those old school cartoons of the 70s, 80s and even early 90s are where it's at.  That was good animation.  Most of the cartoons made today are really really bad

Different tastes for different folks. ;)

Written By: whistledog on 06/02/08 at 11:09 pm

Different tastes for different folks. ;)

To each his own yes.  I know you are a big fan of anime :)

Written By: Big Nasty on 06/02/08 at 11:16 pm

SO I hear a rumor that I know the area Whistle dog is from.  Whistledog do u remember Sailor Moon?

Written By: Davester on 06/02/08 at 11:17 pm

I've noticed alot of cgi animation in children's shows while surfing the channels on Saturday mornings...  

Doesn't bother me since:

a)  I ain't a children no moe...
  b)  The best TV, IMO, isn't shown on television...
  c)  Had today's cgi been introduced about 40 years ago, I'm sure I would've loved it in the same way I would've loved The Phantom Menace...
  d) (Your ad here - call 555-5555)

I don't know if Voltron is considered anime, but I really dug it.  All anime, today, is totally lost on me - Ghost in the Shell and it's ilk -  because I CANNOT seem to follow the storyline or even have a clue about what's supposed to be going-on...

Written By: whistledog on 06/02/08 at 11:25 pm

SO I hear a rumor that I know the area Whistle dog is from.  Whistledog do u remember Sailor Moon?

You should know the area where I am from.  Your wife is from the same area ;D
I remember Sailor Moon.  Never watched it though

I've noticed alot of cgi animation in children's shows while surfing the channels on Saturday mornings...  

Doesn't bother me since:

c)  Had today's cgi been introduced about 40 years ago, I'm sure I would've loved it in the same way I would've loved The Phantom Menace...

I don't know if Voltron is considered anime, but I really dug it.  All anime, today, is totally lost on me - Ghost in the Shell and it's ilk -  because I CANNOT seem to follow the storyline or even have a clue about what's supposed to be going-on...

Voltron is considered anime yes, but in the 80s and earlier, anime was really good.  Today's anime is too confusing and I too get lost.  Stuff like Pokemon, Dragon Ball Z ... goes right over my head

Written By: Step-chan on 06/02/08 at 11:29 pm

Doesn't bother me since:

There are some things that I haven't watched anime wise that about 99% of others in the fan base have.

I've never seen "Ghost in the shell" for example and never watched "Neon Genesis Evangelion".

Written By: Davester on 06/02/08 at 11:56 pm

There are some things that I haven't watched anime wise that about 99% of others in the fan base have.

I've never seen "Ghost in the shell" for example and never watched "Neon Genesis Evangelion".

Just want to make it clear I'm not dissing anime.  I fail to grasp the plotlines, not because of the medium, but rather because I'm a blithering idiot.  Years of watching overrated cartoons you'd think I'd be able to spot an underrated one... :D

Written By: holicman on 06/03/08 at 12:30 am

Spongebob squarepants is crap,  I watched 2 minutes of it and found its about this obnoxious talking sponge.

I must admit I do like Family guy and American dad cracks me up every now and then.

All these Pokemon and yu gi yoh cartoons are very irritating too.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/03/08 at 2:00 am

Well, technically Saturday Morning Cartoons are still around today, but they are essentially dead in terms of the impact they have, at least compared to years past.

You could, in the most extended sense, trace the beginnings of the process back to the late '70s, with the advent of the VCR and the beginning of Nickelodeon (two things that would pretty much invalidate the idea of having to watch cartoons on Saturday mornings or not being able to watch them at all). Also there were score's of more cable channel's that popped up throughout the '80s and '90s (like the Disney Channel, Cartoon Network, Boomerang, etc.) that would add to that.

Not really sure what finally 'killed' them though, because even with all those cable channels, I can remember SMC's still being a big deal even into the late '90s.

Written By: Big Nasty on 06/03/08 at 8:42 am

I miss those days...Shoot sometimes I get up and watch Boomerang on Saturday mornings to be nostalgic.

Written By: woops on 06/03/08 at 2:10 pm

The best animation is from the 1930's to mid 1950's, IMHO

Especially Disney, MGM, and Warner Bros.  8)

Written By: Step-chan on 06/03/08 at 2:35 pm

Just want to make it clear I'm not dissing anime.  I fail to grasp the plotlines, not because of the medium, but rather because I'm a blithering idiot.  Years of watching overrated cartoons you'd think I'd be able to spot an underrated one... :D

I didn't think you were dissing anime. I was just replying on what I haven't watched myself anime wise as well as some of the more confusing stuff. From what I've heard, Neon Genesis Evangelion is very confusing and alot of people have developed alot of theories on it, ranging from religious to psychological stuff.

Written By: Davester on 06/03/08 at 9:43 pm

I didn't think you were dissing anime. I was just replying on what I haven't watched myself anime wise as well as some of the more confusing stuff. From what I've heard, Neon Genesis Evangelion is very confusing and alot of people have developed alot of theories on it, ranging from religious to psychological stuff.

Isn't Inspector Gadget anime as well..?

Written By: Step-chan on 06/03/08 at 9:46 pm

Isn't Inspector Gadget anime as well..?

Not as far as I know.

Written By: woops on 06/11/08 at 5:21 pm

There's many positive comments about "Chowder" at Toon Zone, which I sometimes read (BTW, not a member), which the show lacks comedy and is too surreal.

Oddly, the main character's design reminds me of "Eek! the Cat", though haven't seen that cartoon for ages

Written By: Step-chan on 06/11/08 at 6:57 pm

There's many positive comments about "Chowder" at Toon Zone, which I sometimes read (BTW, not a member), which the show lacks comedy and is too surreal.

Oddly, the main character's design reminds me of "Eek! the Cat", though haven't seen that cartoon for ages

I remember Eek! the Cat.

They had that little cartoon that would be on the TV occasionally, called "Shardy, the magical piece of broken glass"(This wasn't an actual series paired with Eek, like the Terrible Thunder Lizards, but was in the show as a joke). I'm trying to find it at the moment, because I remember something about it that they did in a later season.

Written By: snozberries on 06/14/08 at 10:56 am

Some animation that I never understood the appeal...

1. "SpongeBob SquarePants"

It's pretty much too childish and the characters are one dimensional and very annoying. "Ren & Stimpy" &  "Rocko's Modern Life" are far much betteri and also appeals to both kids & adults.

I like Spongebob....yeah it can be lame at times but I enjoy the humor. I like those cartoons that at try to make an effort to get adults to laugh.
The Sailor Mouth episode is a personal favorite!

3. "Scooby Doo"

Watch one episode and basically seen 'em all.  Never understood the hype and Cartoon Network used to air the cartoon to the ground several years ago.

It's interesting that you would say this about Scooby Doo because the truth is the exact same could be said about your beloved Looney Tunes. Don't get me wrong I'll watch a Looney Tune every now and again but those are always the same...

Roadrunner is going to get chased by Wiley E. Coyote and the coyote is going to get blown up or fall off a cliff...or both.
Sylvester is going to try to eat Tweety.
Elmer Fudd is going to hunt Daffy
Yosemite Sam is going to get frustrated/outwitted by Bugs....
Pepe Le Pew is going to fall in love with the black cat who just got a stripe of paint down her back.

Tom & Jerry and Pixie, Dixie & Jinx are other examples of repetitively themed cartoons but we still watch them.

Overrated cartoons for me....

Mr Magoo... I just don't get it.
Pokemon
The new Amy Poehler cartoon on Nick... The Mighty B!
Dora the Explorer and her buddy Diego
and anything geared for the toddler crowd. There isn't enough Prozac on the planet to get me through Blues Clues 

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/14/08 at 11:19 am

Feekazoid, highly overrated.

The new Strawberry Shortcake cartoons - Sorry but Shortcake is not supposed to wear a pink leapordskin miniskirt.  Blah.

Written By: snozberries on 06/14/08 at 11:26 am

Feekazoid, highly overrated.

The new Strawberry Shortcake cartoons - Sorry but Shortcake is not supposed to wear a pink leapordskin miniskirt.  Blah.

aw I like Freakazoid.  But I agree with the pink leopard skin mini....just say no!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/14/08 at 11:37 am

aw I like Freakazoid.  But I agree with the pink leopard skin mini....just say no!

Maybe it's just me.  The new Strawberry Shortcake really sucks though.

Written By: snozberries on 06/14/08 at 11:39 am

I haven't seen it but I believe you

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/14/08 at 3:33 pm

Pretty much all the new remakes of shows from the '80s suck. 8-P

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/14/08 at 4:01 pm

I consider it to be a slap to the original cartoon makers face.

Written By: woops on 06/14/08 at 4:08 pm

I like Spongebob....yeah it can be lame at times but I enjoy the humor. I like those cartoons that at try to make an effort to get adults to laugh.
The Sailor Mouth episode is a personal favorite!

It's interesting that you would say this about Scooby Doo because the truth is the exact same could be said about your beloved Looney Tunes. Don't get me wrong I'll watch a Looney Tune every now and again but those are always the same...

Roadrunner is going to get chased by Wiley E. Coyote and the coyote is going to get blown up or fall off a cliff...or both.
Sylvester is going to try to eat Tweety.
Elmer Fudd is going to hunt Daffy
Yosemite Sam is going to get frustrated/outwitted by Bugs....
Pepe Le Pew is going to fall in love with the black cat who just got a stripe of paint down her back.

Tom & Jerry and Pixie, Dixie & Jinx are other examples of repetitively themed cartoons but we still watch them.

true, though some cartoons have stood out and also the facial expressions that couldn't have been done with limited animation

From the Looney Tunes, I never saw the appeal of Taz since he's been very popular despite only being in 5 theatrical cartoons while there's many one shot and/or lesser known  characters that are much funnier like Pete Puma and Charlie, the dog that have appeared in a few Porky cartoons and of it's own.

I actually watch "The Mighty B!", though the episodes are  hit or miss. It reminds me of cartoons from the '90's like "Ren & Stimpy" (background) to "Dexter's Lab".

Written By: woops on 06/14/08 at 4:10 pm

I probably would get trashed, but I never saw the appeal of Smurfs.

There were remakes in the '80's like kiddie versions of older characters  (ie "Muppet Babies", "Flinstone Kids") to the hip '80's version of "Alvin & The Chipmunks". I actually watched the mentioned cartoons, though not sure If I'd like 'em now.

Written By: Ppufi on 06/14/08 at 4:28 pm

I don't like many cartoons. I find must to be incredibly mind-numbing.  But I guess that's because I was raised on PBS...

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/14/08 at 6:30 pm

There were remakes in the '80's like kiddie versions of older characters  (ie "Muppet Babies", "Flinstone Kids") to the hip '80's version of "Alvin & The Chipmunks". I actually watched the mentioned cartoons, though not sure If I'd like 'em now.

Smurfs are too redundant and mind numbing.

Never really liked Muppet Babies.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/14/08 at 8:36 pm

I liked "Muppet Babies" when I was 5, but not so much today. ;D

I'm really much more of a "90s kid" than an "80s kid", I don't even remember watching cartoons until 1989 or possibly 1990 so alot of cartoons from the early and mid '80s were "before my time", but I do remember alot of those re-makes that came out in the late '80s like "Flintstone Kids", "A Pup Named Scooby Doo", "Tom and Jerry Kids", etc. They were better than cartoons of today, but not great by any means.

Written By: woops on 06/14/08 at 9:26 pm

I'm also a '90's kid. Most '80's cartoons I've seen were shown in reruns  and/or video tapes or still around in the early 1990's.

Written By: woops on 01/22/09 at 3:05 pm

Some "Silly Symphonies" that were/still are visually stunning and groundbeaking like the first  fully Techicolor cartoon "Flowers & Trees" and "The Old Mill Pond" aren't that good in terms of entertainment value.

"Little Match Girl", 30's Columbia cartoon that was nominated for an Oscar and also praised upon many animation buffs at the Golden Age of Cartoons & Animation  Show sites.

Despite that the animation was decent, found some parts boring and the drawing of the title character is too typical of the era.

Also depressing, though suprisingly made during the depression when most films were more optimistic.

Written By: woops on 01/22/09 at 7:01 pm

I meant "The Old Mill"

"Old Mill Pond" is a jazz cartoon from MGM featuring frogs.

Written By: woops on 05/30/09 at 1:07 pm

I'm indifferent towards action/serious superhero cartoons

Some have great animation (mostly from the 1990's and onwards), though not exactly my ball o' wax.

Written By: woops on 10/25/09 at 9:25 pm

Seth McFarlane is overrated

"Family Guy" is OK (during the first three seasons), but went downhill after it's return with only a few decent episodes...

Though it's not even that great of a show.

Written By: Step-chan on 10/25/09 at 9:44 pm

You just made me remember the Pebbles and Bam-Bam show.

http://chud.com/articles/content_images/17/Kill35.jpg

I remember the "What's your sign?" song from it.

Written By: woops on 12/04/09 at 12:49 pm

"Ed, Edd, & Eddy"

Pretty much one of the worst cartoons of the past decade and it's so bad that I can't even watch it for more than a second...  8-P

Written By: rachel on 07/13/11 at 11:02 am

"Ed, Edd, & Eddy"

Pretty much one of the worst cartoons of the past decade and it's so bad that I can't even watch it for more than a second...  8-P
well i dnt think ed edd and eddy is all that bad, it has its moments...

And also i dont think spongebob is all that overrated, i think its just popular, you dont really see CRAZED fans of it, and yeah, its childish, but do you expect it to have some deep story? Alot of adults like it and its quite funny!

Ok, i agree family guy IS overrated, but its still funny...

Scooby doo, and tom and jerry are extremely overrated and repetitive

I think any popular anime is quite overrated, esp. pokemon, i dont understand the crazy appeal to it, i could imagine a little kid liking it (my 9 year old brother is reaaly into it) but other then that i cant even see why its so popular amongst older teens and young adults. Narutos another annoying one.

Even though i dont like any anime, and i agree, half of its so confusing you dont even feel like watching.

And one of the MOST overrated cartoons is Ren and stimpy, people RAVE over this show and it really and truly sucks, i dont undrstand why its so popular, even WITH a nostalgia (my brother hates it too and he remembers when it cam on TV) Ren and stimpy are just plain annoying, they try to hard to be discusting and it just comes off dumb... The only thing i can ever say i snickered at was powdered toast man or whatever the heck his name is.

And also justice league bores me to death, i'll take teen titans anyday...

Check for new replies or respond here...