inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Crossover Episodes

Written By: snozberries on 07/09/08 at 2:51 am

Not to be confused with my stunt casting topic....

For the sake of discussion we can consider pilot episodes that begin on other shows crossovers because its such a minor technicality.

For example the Andy Griffith Show "pilot" was an episode of Make Room For Daddy.  Danny gets arrested by Sheriff Andy Taylor a vehicle code violation and if I remember correctly, failure to pay the fine.

the characters of Laverne and Shirley first appeared on Happy Days  but there were a couple of legit crossovers on both shows.

All in the Family, Maude, Good Times Jeffersons etc.... 

Mary Richards coming to New York for Rhoda's wedding

But the reason I'm thinking of this now is because I was watching Roseanne last night and it was the episode where Arnie comes back from "Outer Space" and learns that Nancy is now dating Marla.  In the shows tag (the last scene that runs during credits)  Tom Arnold and Michael Fishman are having a discussion about the episode they just shot. During the scene Tom asks if Michael has heard anything about his new show....the short lived Jackie Thomas show.  I suddenly remembered another episode where the Conners take a trip and go see a taping of the Jackie Thomas show.

And then just now I was watching Murphy Brown. the ep where Corky wins an award . Her agent shows up to cater to her and try to get her special treatment. This agent is Al Floss (played by the great Alex Rocco) and I remembered yet another short lived series The Famous Teddy Z.  A quick search of epguides.com shows that the night this particular episode of Murphy Brown aired there was  also an episode of Famous Teddy Z.

Subject: Re: Crossover Episodes

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/09/08 at 8:10 am

OOH, good topic.  What about the Diff'rent Strokes' spin off, "Hello Larry"?  The show sucked it, but I still have that theme song in my head.

Also, I think the episode of "Friends" with the ER docs count as a crossover episode.

Written By: whistledog on 07/09/08 at 8:38 am

♦ In an episode of "St. Elsewhere", Dr. Craig, Dr. Westphall and Dr. Auschlander stop by the "Cheers" bar for a drink

♦ On "The Bob Newhart Show", Jack Riley had a recurring role as Elliot Carlin, one of Bob's Patients.  Apparently though, Bob's treatment didn't work because Mr. Carlin (once again played by Jack Riley) showed up at the St. Eligius Mental Ward on an episode of "St. Elsewhere" LOL

♦ On an episode of "Alice", Boss Hogg and Enos (The Dukes of Hazzard) show up at Mel's Diner
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2ZioDPDDYU

♦ "Wings" had 2 crossover episodes with "Cheers".  In one episode, Norm and Cliff visit Nantuckett for some fishing.  In another episode, Frasier visits the island to perform a self help lecture.  Kelsey Grammer received an Emmy Nomination for his guest role on "Wings", making him the only actor to be nominated for an Emmy for playing the same character on three different TV shows

♦ On "Family Matters", at the end of one episode, Steve invents a flying device, that whisks him away to the Lambert's household for an episode of "Step By Step"

♦ Steve Urkel also appeared on an episode of "Full House"

the characters of Laverne and Shirley first appeared on Happy Days  but there were a couple of legit crossovers on both shows.

Here's a few ...

Season 1 of "Laverne and Shirley" - Laverne takes Fonzie to a upscale dinner at a fancy party

Season 2 of "Laverne and Shirley" - The girls ask Ritchie and Potsie to join them in a dance contest so they can win a new TV

Season 1 of "Mork and Mindy" - In the pilot episode, Mork recollects how he met Fonzie in the 1950s.  He ends up lusting after Laverne and chased her all around the Cunningham's living room LOL

Part 1 (Fonzie meets Mork): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHWXAJhmvyU
Part 2 (Mork meets Laverne): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5G0qD321a0

Written By: snozberries on 07/09/08 at 9:16 pm

OOH, good topic.  What about the Diff'rent Strokes' spin off, "Hello Larry"?  The show sucked it, but I still have that theme song in my head.

Also, I think the episode of "Friends" with the ER docs count as a crossover episode.

wait! Hello Larry was a spin off of DS?  Really I don't remember that...although I don't really remember Hello Larry either. I think I only saw one episode. 

I can't Believe I forgot to mention the Buffy and Angel cross over eps. They did several during season 4 of Buffy and season 1 of angel.

Speaking of Buffy/Angel. There was a character from the episode of Buffy titled Anne from season 3 (Before Angel was its own series)..... she was a runaway who survived hell.  She appeared in later episodes of Angel.

Thanks Jason I knew I could count on you to fill in the Laverne and Shirley / Happys Days info.

I need to start watching St Elsewhere again I don't remember that episode...actually I didn't watch Bob Newhart then so I probably just didn't get it at the time

How about the David Kelly crossovers.  The Practice was on ABC and Boston Public was on Fox but that didn't stop them from Crossing Over.

Oh and the episode of Charlies Angels when they go on the Love Boat!

Speaking of Charlie's Angels- there was a two parter where they were in Vegas and Bosley or Charlie was trying to get them to  hook up with a local detective for assistance. They kept blowing it off....at the end of part two they met this detective Dan Tanna (Vega$) and were kind of upset they refused the offer because he was hot.  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 07/09/08 at 10:13 pm

wait! Hello Larry was a spin off of DS?  Really I don't remember that...although I don't really remember Hello Larry either. I think I only saw one episode. 

It wasn't a spin-off.  "Hello Larry" wasn't doing as well as expected in the ratings, so the writers embedded a story line where Larry and Philip Drummond were old buddies from the war, and crossed over both shows twice, once in Season 1 of "Diff'rent Strokes" and again in Season 2.  It didn't work though as "Hello Larry" was cancelled after it's 2nd season :(

Thanks Jason I knew I could count on you to fill in the Laverne and Shirley / Happys Days info.

Glad to help.  I know my L&S :)

Here's some more ...

Lisa Kudrow played Ursula on "Mad About You", then landed the role of Phoebe Buffay on "Friends".  She continued to appear in both series, and eventually Ursula became a recurring character on "Friends" as Phoebe's twin sister

On two episodes of "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air", Sherman Hemsley and Isabel Sanford appeared as George and Louise Jefferson, roles they originally made famous on "All in the Family" and it's spin-off "The Jeffersons".  For loyal fans of Fresh Prince, this is also seen as a casting error as Sherman Hemsley also had a recurring role as Judge Robertson

On an episode of "Silver Spoons", Gary Coleman appeared as Arnold Jackson, sent to do a story on Ricky for the school newspaper

On an episode of "Coach", Hayden and Christine returned to discover that three backwoodsmen had taken up squatters rights in the cabin.  These three were none other than Larry, Darryl and Darryl from Newhart.

On an episode of "The King of Queens", Doug and Carrie become friends with Ray and Debra Barrone (Everybody Loves Raymond) and the two appeared in further KOQ episodes

In an episode of "Moonlighting", there is a dream sequence where the Blue Moon Detective Agency becomes the Hart Detective Agency.  Lionel Stander reprises his role as Max from "Hart to Hart"

"The George Lopez Show" and the short-lived sitcom "Freddie" (starring Freddie Prinze Jr.) had a cross-over episode that linked both shows (since they ran back to back on ABC).  On "The George Lopez Show", George's son Max is messaging Freddie's niece Zoey, and when she wants to meet him, the episode continues onto "Freddie" where the Lopez family visits Freddie and his family

"The Golden Girls" had several cross-over episodes with it's spin-offs "Empty Nest" and "The Golden Palace" as well as the "Empty Nest" spin-off "Nurses".  Here's some referencing "Empty Nest" ...

- Rose agrees to look after Dreyfuss while the Westons are away.  Sofia ends up losing him, so when she gets a look-a-like dog, the real Dreyfuss comes back and she cannot tell them apart

- Dorothy tries out to be a contestant on Jeopardy.  The night before, she has a dream that she is on Jeopardy, against Rose and Charlie Deats, and all the questions are in her oponent's favour.  This also counts as a game show episode cross-over ...

Mama's Family:  The Harper's compete on "Family Feud"
Mama's Family:  Mama becomes a contestant on "Jeopardy!"
227:  Mary and Sandra compete on "Wheel of Fortune"

227:  The gang competes on "Family Feud"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3H1w4MFBgM

227:  Sandra goes on "Love Connection" to find a date
The A-Team:  Murdock goes on "Wheel of Fortune"
Full House:  Joey gets his big chance when he lands a spot on "Star Search"
Laverne and Shirley:  Lenny and Squiggy become contestants on "The Dating Game"
Family Matters:  Carl and Steve settle their differences on "American Gladiators"
Ellen:  Adam tries out for "American Gladiators" and Ellen becomes a contestant instead

Martial Law:  Sammo becomes a contestant on "The Price i$ Right"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaoJ8xpYElE

Friends:  Joey becomes a celebrity contestant on "Pyramid"
Spin City:  Paul becomes a contestant on "Who Wants to Be A Millionaire"

Yes, Dear:  Jimmy accidentally gets Greg's license suspended, so he angrily remarks to the officer that he won't be getting any tickets to "The Price is Right".  SPOILER: In the end, the cop gets on TPIR, and as he at the showcase showdown, Jimmy is caught behind the wheel trying to help him get the $1

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/09/08 at 10:58 pm

Before "Family Matters", Jo-Marie Payton played the character of Harriette Winslow on "Perfect Strangers", along with Reginald VelJohnson as Carl Winslow, for a couple of seasons before they got their own show.

Written By: snozberries on 07/09/08 at 11:41 pm

This also counts as a game show episode cross-over ...

Mama's Family:  The Harper's compete on "Family Feud"
Mama's Family:  Mama becomes a contestant on "Jeopardy!"
227:  Mary and Sandra compete on "Wheel of Fortune"

227:  The gang competes on "Family Feud"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3H1w4MFBgM

227:  Sandra goes on "Love Connection" to find a date
The A-Team:  Murdock goes on "Wheel of Fortune"
Full House:  Joey gets his big chance when he lands a spot on "Star Search"
Laverne and Shirley:  Lenny and Squiggy become contestants on "The Dating Game"
Family Matters:  Carl and Steve settle their differences on "American Gladiators"
Ellen:  Adam tries out for "American Gladiators" and Ellen becomes a contestant instead

Martial Law:  Sammo becomes a contestant on "The Price i$ Right"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaoJ8xpYElE

Friends:  Joey becomes a celebrity contestant on "Pyramid"
Spin City:  Paul becomes a contestant on "Who Wants to Be A Millionaire"

Yes, Dear:  Jimmy accidentally gets Greg's license suspended, so he angrily remarks to the officer that he won't be getting any tickets to "The Price is Right".  SPOILER: In the end, the cop gets on TPIR, and as he at the showcase showdown, Jimmy is caught behind the wheel trying to help him get the $1

I can't believe you didn't mention

Cheers: Cliff appears on Jeopardy

also

On The Nanny- Fran appears on The Rosie O'Donnell Show
On The Fresh Prince the family appears on Oprah

Written By: whistledog on 07/10/08 at 9:24 am

Cheers: Cliff appears on Jeopardy

I totally forgot about that one.  That was classic!

a few more ...

"Joey" - Joey goes on "Celebrity Poker Showdown" but doesn't know how to play texas hold 'em
"Ellen" - Ellen and her TV addicted boyfriend go to a taping of "Full House"
"Growing Pains" - The Seavers go to a taping of "The Cosby Show" and Ben successfully uses this to impress a girl
"The Nanny" - Fran and Maxwell appear on "The Sally Jesse Raphael Show"

Written By: gemini on 07/10/08 at 4:34 pm

There's a Seinfeld episode where Jerry and Elaine are watching Murphy Brown at the end, and Kramer is on the show as Murhpy's new secretary.

Written By: snozberries on 07/10/08 at 5:09 pm

That's actually a great inside joke. I love that...

On Mad About You... Jamie is mad that Paul has held onto his old apartment which he had subleased.... it's the apartment Kramer lives in on Seinfeld. 

Wasn't there a night where every show on NBC (except ER cuz it's set in Chicago) experienced a blackout? It was like a running thread that ran through the four comedies all four were set in NYC. 

Written By: nally on 04/01/16 at 10:51 am

Step By Step... a first-season episode had Steve Urkel from Family Matters.

The character also appeared in a fourth-season episode of Full House, to help Stephanie with her eyeglasses problem.

Written By: whistledog on 04/02/16 at 12:28 am

Wasn't there a night where every show on NBC (except ER cuz it's set in Chicago) experienced a blackout? It was like a running thread that ran through the four comedies all four were set in NYC. 

I know NBC did this one night with The Golden Girls, Empty Nest and Nurses.  A hurricane swept through Miami and passed through all 3 shows.  It was kind of cool

2ilWYs-QpeM

Written By: Henk on 04/02/16 at 1:09 am

How about a crossover that didn't happen...?

I believe Criminal Minds have visited Boston in the past, but how come they never ran into Rizzoli & Isles? ???

Written By: snozberries on 04/02/16 at 1:21 am

How about a crossover that didn't happen...?

I believe Criminal Minds have visited Boston in the past, but how come they never ran into Rizzoli & Isles? ???

because they are in different universes... different networks.. .different show runners and different budgets  :D

Written By: Henk on 04/02/16 at 7:58 am

because they are in different universes... different networks.. .different show runners and different budgets  :D

Pfft! Technicalities! ::)

Written By: snozberries on 04/02/16 at 10:14 am

Pfft! Technicalities! ::)

;D

Written By: nally on 04/02/16 at 3:55 pm

Disney Channel did this with a few of their shows. For example, in 2006 (?) they did a "That's So Suite Life of Hannah Montana" crossover with three of their sitcoms: That's So Raven, Suite Life of Zack & Cody, and Hannah Montana. Then in 2009 there was a "Wizards On Deck with Hannah Montana" crossover with Wizards Of Waverly Place (first in the sequence), Suite Life On Deck (second), and Hannah Montana (third).

Written By: mqg96 on 04/02/16 at 5:36 pm

Disney Channel did this with a few of their shows. For example, in 2006 (?) they did a "That's So Suite Life of Hannah Montana" crossover with three of their sitcoms: That's So Raven, Suite Life of Zack & Cody, and Hannah Montana.

I remember this one like yesterday. This was probably the last brand new episode of anything "That's So Raven" related I ever saw. Season 2 of "Suite Life of Zack & Cody" was amazing! I didn't care much for the "Hannah Montana" one though, as expected of me.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/02/16 at 5:39 pm

Disney Channel did this with a few of their shows. For example, in 2006 (?) they did a "That's So Suite Life of Hannah Montana" crossover with three of their sitcoms: That's So Raven, Suite Life of Zack & Cody, and Hannah Montana. Then in 2009 there was a "Wizards On Deck with Hannah Montana" crossover with Wizards Of Waverly Place (first in the sequence), Suite Life On Deck (second), and Hannah Montana (third).

I also remember many Lilo & Stitch episodes that did crossovers with the cartoon shows too, which premiered around Summer 2005. They did one with Kim Possible, American Dragon Jake Long, and The Proud Family.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/02/16 at 5:46 pm

There was a "Supergirl" and "The Flash" crossover episode that just premiered recently last Monday on CBS. This was the first real episode of Supergirl I've seen only because I've only cared about The Flash. It was pretty good. It was fun seeing live-action versions of Livewire and Silver Banshee  :D

Written By: nally on 04/03/16 at 5:58 pm

I remember this one like yesterday. This was probably the last brand new episode of anything "That's So Raven" related I ever saw. Season 2 of "Suite Life of Zack & Cody" was amazing! I didn't care much for the "Hannah Montana" one though, as expected of me.

Yeah, "Raven" ended its 4-year run in 2007, so there were a few eps after the "Suite Life" crossover.

Written By: nally on 04/03/16 at 5:58 pm

I also remember many Lilo & Stitch episodes that did crossovers with the cartoon shows too, which premiered around Summer 2005. They did one with Kim Possible, American Dragon Jake Long, and The Proud Family.

I never watched those. However, it was later in 2005 when I began watching the sitcoms that were on Disney Channel at the time. Suite Life kinda caught my attention.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/03/16 at 11:05 pm

Yeah, "Raven" ended its 4-year run in 2007, so there were a few eps after the "Suite Life" crossover.

That's So Raven only had three new episodes in 2007, the last one was the smoking episode with Cory, but chronologically the series finale of That's So Raven aired right before it much earlier in 2007 called "The Way We Were". The series felt like it was over by 2006, because most of season 4 aired throughout that year which is when the show started declining since the mom left and they were out of high school when Raven had a new job at some place. 2006 was also the year Miley Cyrus started becoming the face of Disney rather than Raven Samone as well. I hear that Suite Life of Zack & Cody caught your attention, and that's cool, since the show really felt original at the time. I remember the very first premiere of the series in Spring 2005 when I was in 3rd grade, it was epic and imaginative having a good roster of characters with different personalities, with so many adventures in the hotel. Seasons 1 & 2 were my favorite.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/03/16 at 11:07 pm

I never watched those. However, it was later in 2005 when I began watching the sitcoms that were on Disney Channel at the time. Suite Life kinda caught my attention.

Mid 2003 is when I got hooked into Disney Channel, but That's So Raven was the main show that caught my attention!

Written By: nally on 04/04/16 at 11:03 am

Mid 2003 is when I got hooked into Disney Channel, but That's So Raven was the main show that caught my attention!

I thought it had interesting storylines as well. It had a spinoff, Cory In The House, focusing on Raven's younger brother Cory (played by Kyle Massey) moving to the White House with his father, who worked as a chef. That series, however, lasted only one or two seasons.

But it did have a crossover episode with Hannah Montana.

Check for new replies or respond here...