inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Movies with ambiguous endings

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/25/08 at 11:42 pm

Hubby and I were watching a movie today (Limbo starring Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio and David Strathairn) and it kind of ended abpruptly and without a definate, conclusive ending.  So the viewer can decide how they wanted the movie to end.  It was an interesting way to write a movie.

What other movies have you seen that don't really have a spelt-out ending, and leaves it up to the audiance to decide what happened next?

Subject: Re: Movies with ambiguous endings

Written By: gibbo on 07/26/08 at 2:17 am

Hubby and I were watching a movie today (Limbo starring Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio and David Strathairn) and it kind of ended abpruptly and without a definate, conclusive ending.  So the viewer can decide how they wanted the movie to end.  It was an interesting way to write a movie.

What other movies have you seen that don't really have a spelt-out ending, and leaves it up to the audiance to decide what happened next?

No Country For Old Men ended very abruptly with the audience (including myself) looking at aeound each other surprised....

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/26/08 at 3:30 am

not the ending, but the brifecase in Pulp Fiction that Jules and Vincent are protecting so they can deliver it to Marsellus Wallace. When opened would glow and we never get to see or are told what thing of value is inside. Someone asks "is that what I think it is"?

Written By: gibbo on 07/26/08 at 3:50 am

Hitchcock's The Birds also has an ending that leaves it up to the imagination....

Written By: Bobby on 07/26/08 at 9:26 am

The film 'Being There' with Peter Sellers has an ending that people discuss and debate about.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/26/08 at 12:01 pm

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World with Russel Crowe. It was a good flick and then it just ended and we were like.."What? Did we miss something?" I think they were planning to have a sequel that never happened.

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 07/26/08 at 9:21 pm

Repo Man w/ Emilio Estevez

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/27/08 at 12:28 am

Repo Man w/ Emilio Estevez

"This is Mr. Otto from the finance company, he says he's gonna take the car this time...."

No Country for Old Men

Eraserhead

And I'll go with---

Kramer Vs. Karamer!
Yeesh!

Written By: snozberries on 07/27/08 at 10:18 am

Um... in Demolition Man they never told you how the stupid 3 Sea Shells work....  sorry I just watched that last night. 

any other time I could think of tons but for right now I'm drawing a blank. I'll check in when my brain checks back in too. 

(in the meantime I'll leave you with- on the TV show Angel the series ends with Angel and his buddies going into battle. We are left not knowing who wins the war... that was a designed ending not a cliff hanger that didn't get resolved because the show got cancelled....like Las Vegas season four ending....) I know but how could I not throw in a tv reference?  ;D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/28/08 at 6:30 am

TV is allowed Q!  I'm a tv addict too.  ;D 

One I thought ended...oddly and I still don't know what the point of the ending line was, was "Eyes wide shut" starring Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman (when they were still married) and it was directed by Stanley Kubrick.  I remember the movie really dragging for awhile, and I kept thinking, "OK, when is all of this going to wrap up?" and then it did...abruptly and we were all sitting there in the theater looking around...saying...what?  Is that it?  ;D

Also a weird ending, although it wasn't really a mystery as to what happened as much as why and how did it happen... was  um... "The Happening" by M. Night Shyamalan (after having not seen the last two or three of his movies, I decided to give this one a chance because I was still hoping for another Sixth Sense (as does many people)...but alas...)

Written By: whistledog on 07/28/08 at 9:48 am

Um... in Demolition Man they never told you how the stupid 3 Sea Shells work....  sorry I just watched that last night. 

I always wondered that too.  I loved Stallone's "I don't care response" by swearing enough times to get ticket fines he could use as toilet paper ;D

Written By: midnite on 07/28/08 at 6:34 pm

Good news from the garden
Garden in the valley
Valley of the Jolly Green Giant.

Sung by the one and only Dan Cortese who had a little fame in the early 90's - MTV Sports and an episode of Seinfeld.

Written By: Gis on 07/29/08 at 2:46 am

Twin Peaks if we include t.v. I would love to know how that was going to end.

Check for new replies or respond here...