inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Mathematician solves 40 year old mystery involving "A Hard Day's Night"

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/29/08 at 8:47 am

Very interesting article about the opening chord of the Beatles' song "A Hard Day's Night".  Apparently for years no one has known how George Harrison played the opening chord of the song.  It took a mathematician running a Fourier transform on the recording to figure out how George did it.

Scientific Blogging

Subject: Re: Mathematician solves 40 year old mystery involving "A Hard Day's Night"

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/29/08 at 9:46 am

After hearing both sound of the two different recordings of the Beatles' song A Hard Day's Night, the start now to me does sound more like the strings on an opened piano being hit.

Subject: Re: Mathematician solves 40 year old mystery involving "A Hard Day's Night"

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/31/08 at 4:44 pm

After hearing both sound of the two different recordings of the Beatles' song A Hard Day's Night, the start now to me does sound more like the strings on an opened piano being hit.
it's somewhat similar to the ending of A Day In The Life , the final chord of that song which definitely sounds like a sustained piano

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/31/08 at 4:49 pm

it's somewhat similar to the ending of A Day In The Life , the final chord of that song which definitely sounds like a sustained piano
...with the sound of an alarm clock and the air conditioning.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/31/08 at 4:49 pm

...with the sound of an alarm clock and the air conditioning.
when it starts to fade it reminds me of a telephone's dial tone

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/31/08 at 4:52 pm

when it starts to fade it reminds me of a telephone's dial tone
When I am back on the main computer I give a rejudgement on when I re-heard it.

Written By: midnite on 11/09/08 at 3:12 pm

Though the style is kinda similar in style and that it may be difficult to deciipher.

To me the chord at the end of "A Day In The Life" sounds like a morphed drawn-out piano chord.  In fact to me, it sounds like one of those old-fashioned pianos that the play in the Old-West Cowboy movies.

Written By: midnite on 11/09/08 at 3:24 pm

Though the style is kinda similar in style and that it may be difficult to deciipher.

To me the chord at the end of "A Day In The Life" sounds like a morphed drawn-out piano chord.  In fact to me, it sounds like one of those old-fashioned pianos that the play in the Old-West Cowboy movies.  Or like the piano in Obla-Di-Obla Da.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/09/08 at 3:38 pm

To me the chord at the end of "A Day In The Life" sounds like a morphed drawn-out piano chord.  In fact to me, it sounds like one of those old-fashioned pianos that the play in the Old-West Cowboy movies.

An old honky-tonk upright piano.

Written By: Echo Nomad on 06/01/09 at 11:42 pm

If you listen very carefully to this song, you can hear a very early performance of the Cowbell guy from Blue Oyster Cult. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8EiKpjgz98  :D

Written By: Paul on 06/03/09 at 7:03 am

I gather the chord was hit on several pianos simultaneously...

Originally, the plan was for The Beatles to 'hum' the chord, but that proved unworkable...

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/03/09 at 7:14 am

I gather the chord was hit on several pianos simultaneously...
...from the idea previously used by Spkie in the Goons?

Written By: Paul on 06/03/09 at 3:34 pm

...from the idea previously used by Spkie in the Goons?

Although George Martin didn't work with The Goons as a whole, he did work with Sellers & Milligan (The Beatles were also big Goons fans), so I'd imagine some influences were doubtless traded...

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/04/09 at 2:00 am

Although George Martin didn't work with The Goons as a whole, he did work with Sellers & Milligan (The Beatles were also big Goons fans), so I'd imagine some influences were doubtless traded...
The piano was one of Spkie Milligan's favourite sounds if put in a unusual situation.

Check for new replies or respond here...