inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hopelessly 20 Years Behind...

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/04/08 at 8:30 pm

Hi Everyone!

As some of you know, I seem to have quite a penchant for music, clothes and other things from the 1980s--even though I am only 22 years old. My favorite singer is more than twice my age. (Pointing down at MJ) And try as I might, I just can't really seem to get too excited over the things people my age get into. My friends freak over things people like Chris Brown and I could care less. And them one day,I was thinking about it, wonder why I seemed perpetually 20 years behind and then it dawned on me.

I'VE ALWAYS BEEN 20 YEARS BEHIND!

I was born in 1986 and I remember sitting on the floor as a child in the late 80s and early 90s watching shows from the 1960 like Bewitched and The Beverly Hillbillies and Batman--I even had a crush on Burt Ward until I realized he was like 45 years older than me! LOL.

But even though I grew up watching old things liek that, I do notice that I am different from most of my peers--at least the ones I know. I'm more well behaved, and polite, and i do enjoy older movies and stars. Whereas one of my friends doesn't even know who half of classic Hollywood is. I just shake my head. Just because something is older doesn't mean that it's worthless or useless. The older stars and music and all have withstood the test of time.

Just think, in 20 years will people be talkign about how great Chris Browns' album was or how great Michael Jackson's Thriller was? How great Cary Grant was in a movie or what couches Tom Cruise was jumping on? Just makes me wonder.  ;D

Wanted to share that. Please weight in with your ideas on it.

Subject: Re: Hopelessly 20 Years Behind...

Written By: snozberries on 11/04/08 at 9:04 pm

In a way I am the some way.... I mean I totally appreciate the 80s and I was old enough to appreciate it.

But in 82 I was crazy about the Beatles.

One of my favorite shows is Leave It To Beaver.

and I love do wop and 60s music so I feel ya.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/04/08 at 11:14 pm

That's not weird. :) Everyone's got their own tastes and I think these days it's more individualistic than ever depending on the person. Nothing says you have to ONLY like what's popular in your teen years.

Like I've said countless times before, I'm a big fan of things from the 50s through now, but especially like 1982-96, and that was more my little kid and Junior High years and earlier, as opposed to my "prime". I can also relate to feeling behind the times, since it usually takes me awhile to get accustomed and comfortable with new things, like technologies or styles of music and all.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/05/08 at 6:20 am

I grew up in the 50s and loved all things 30s.  I am still quite fascinated by everything in the years between the Civil War and the beginning of World WarII.  I don't know why.

Written By: Green Lantern on 11/05/08 at 8:31 am

I was probably 'ONLY' ten years behind ..... when I grew shoulder length hippy hair ... in the late 70's (lol) .. but given I was just around 23-24 at that time ... maybe a bit of an excuse ?

Getting into the 'Moody Blues' .... well ... that was 2- 3 years too late (mid 70's)  ... since they'd split up by that time !

I had to go out with a nutcase in 2001 ... to really change my opinion/ get back into the 80's music .... listen to a whole bunch of songs I'd missed ... the first time around ... to come to the conclusion ... that the 70's .... DID have a genuine contender ... for the greatest music (even if it WAS ... 'only' 80-85, approx. ).

In the last year or so ... I've found that the much hated 90's music (by ME) .... does have a number of  good tunes.

I'll probably think the 00's weren't so bad in time to come! (lol).

Songs that DO stand out from this decade... off top of my head: 'Whole again'(Atomic Kitten); 'Walking away' (Craig David) 'Amazing' (Alex Lloyd) ... there's probably a few others  ... but I don't REALLY listen to the radio anymore (yeah, somewhere, I got old)    :-[  :(

Gotta add ^ 'I'm like a bird' ~Nelly Furtado

Written By: Tia on 11/05/08 at 9:14 am

my favorite love seems to mostly be music that was either made when i wasn't born yet or when i was about three or four years old. i was just getting into traffic (again!) just last night. friggin' 1966ish to early 70s music. my parents were, like, newlyweds. it's weird.

Written By: woops on 11/05/08 at 9:58 am

Even as a teenager in the later '90's/early 2000s I mostly preferred older music. Though usually from listening to '80's request hours, watching older videos om MTV & VH1 from countdowns, themed weekends, etc. I liked some '90's alternative, but don't listen to it much except a few songs/artists. Also never found the appeal of  rap. Especially gangsta rap. (though I like a few old  school rap from the 1980's to 1994).

Though if I had been a teenager in the '80's, my views of pop culture might be different.  I got into hair metal a few years ago since I find the songs catchy and the videos campy, but I might look at Poison & Motley Crue  in the same way as emo now if I were a teen 20 years ago. And probably would still look at animation as "kids' stuff" since I originally bought the Disney & Looney Tunes DVDs for nostalgia rahther than interest since they're nolonger shown on television anymore.

Though I like older music, not really much into movies (except a few films) and most tv shows from the past haven't aged well despite that I grew up watching reruns of "Bewitched", "Brady Bunch", and "Green Acres".

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/05/08 at 2:16 pm

Well, Y'all have made me feel better.  ;D

I don't mind this thinking pattern I have. I was born to older parents. And i was the only one and since they ruled the TV until i found Michael Jackson, I watched what they watched. But I adore all the classic films and music and things I lilke. And the thing I think is, all the stuff I like is from a more innicent time. Sure the F-Bomb was wild and all over the 80s and stuff, but i can play my Thriller album for any random kid and they'll groove to it. I can play a screwball Hepburn/Tracy comedy and they'll roll on the floor laughning. Now there's some cartoons kids can't even watch. It's sad.

And I've gotten into even OLDER things.; I'm personally fascinated with things from the Victorian/Edwardian era and I love old silent films. I can talk you to death about Rudolph Valentino, Harrold Lloyd, Marion Davies...it's all over the board for me. My mother, God bless her soul, once said, thatI was like an older woman in a young person's body. Going on about things like MJ and the Beatles and all that. LOL.

But it's what I like. And really, with the world in the state it's in, do you really wanna be in the present? Wars and killings and violence.  :( No, If i can run off with The Beaver or get caught in a harebrained scheme with Lucy and Ethel for a half hour, is it so bad? For 30 little minutes of peace, I don't think it's so bad  :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/05/08 at 4:09 pm

^ Yeah I was like that, especially from my dad being almost 44 when I was born. I got actually into '60s music from hm listening to the Beatles, CCR, Motown and stuff like Peter Paul and Mary (I didn't know it was old though lol). Having older parents is really cool from all the stuff you can be exposed to.

Speaking of MJ, he was one of the very first singers I got into ("Billie Jean" was on one of my mom's mixtapes when I was like 3-4 lol). I liked him, Huey Lewis, Madonna, Prince, Lionel Richie, Tears for Fears, the Police, and quite a few other songs way back when.

If it makes you feel any better, since I'm such a nostalgist and I don't like change it also tends to take me awhile to really warm up to new things. By the time I have, it's usually either outdated or its established and no longer a hot new thing. ;) So I guess I was always a little uncool or behind the times, even as a kid.

P.S. People seem to have this conception that you only can know about something the minute it came out, and that's just silly lol. I hate when people are all like "Oh that's before your time, how would you know about it." ;D Lots of songs are still pretty common to hear on the radio for 5 or 10 years after they come out (sometimes even longer). Same with reruns of shows on tv. I got into more '80s stuff during the '90s from this halfway secondhand sense.

Written By: coqueta83 on 11/07/08 at 8:07 pm

No worries, you're not the only one....I've felt that way for as long as I can remember, even when I was up to date on the latest in pop culture!  8)  ;)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/08/08 at 1:06 pm

;D

Y;all are great.

I think I can top you though Marty. My father was 59 when I was born. LOL. (He's 81 now) so there's a major MAJOR gneration gap there. He served in WW2 and I think the Korean War too.  :o I never dugh his music, I 'm not a fan of blues, but he did introduce me to all the old comedians like Laurel and Hardy, the Three Stooges (love them) on and on. But to be honest, a lot of the stuff I dig come from my own curiosity. Michael Jackson and Prince happening were flukes. I just happed to see them, dig them and am now in a Purple and Rhinestoned Hell keeping up with them. LOL.

For me alot of things came out of curiosity. I'd keep hearing about people like Rudolph Valentino and Cary Grant on the classic tv stations my dad watched. (Dad was retired and cared for me while my Mom, who was much younger, worked) I got into the silent films because of Rudy. Just out of curiosity. I'd heard a little thing about someone like Audrey Hepburn, and I'd wind up looking at Charade.  But I like my interests. Makes me different from my friends.  ;D I like it.

And I'm glad that other people understand and know where I'm comign from! Thanks!  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...