inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Movie series Box Sets (Sequels, Trilogies ...)

Written By: whistledog on 11/19/08 at 8:29 pm

I finally caved in and bought the Die Hard: Ultimate Collection set that has all 4 films.  Now all they need to do is make a 5th one to make my box set obsolete lol

Do you ever go for the Box Sets, or would you rather own each movie individually?

When the Limited Edition 'Bourne Trilogy' set came a while ago, I almost considered buying it until I saw Matt Damon on Larry King Live mention that he will reprise the role for a 4th film, so yeah I will wait to ge that one

When the 4th Indiana Jones movie hit theatres, all 3 original films were re-released with a new box set of the trilogy which I thought was stupid because as soon as Crystal Skull comes to DVD, they will repackage the trilogy in a 4 movie set, which is exactly what they did

Because of reasons like these, I am still skeptical to get a film series in a Box set.  The first one I ever bought was the Ocean's Box set only because I read a quote from Steven Soderbergh saying there will be NO Ocean's 14, but then again, didn't they say that same thing about Die Hard back in the 90s?

They just released the Home Alone tetrology, which I don't really have an interest in because I only liked the first two.  The 3rd one was stupid and I never even saw the 4th one (have no desire to either)

Subject: Re: Movie series Box Sets (Sequels, Trilogies ...)

Written By: Davester on 11/20/08 at 12:18 am

Just picked-up the "Angel" trilogy (Angel, Avenging Angel, Angel III) a couple of days ago.  Angel marathon this weekend, with popcorn and cherry Coke...

Back to the Future - same thing, Dog.  Have to buy all three of them in the box.  I'd rather just have the first.  Hmm, just thought of something...I purchased the special features disc of the Star Wars box that was relesed a few years back on eBay.  Should've looked for BTTF...

Written By: thereshegoes on 11/22/08 at 10:07 am

I like box sets, specially of old movies, you can find em by director and it's always a good deal.

Movie sequels i have:

The Godfather DVD Collection
Alien Quadrilogy
Austin Powers
The Hannibal Lecter Collection
Before Sunrise/Before Sunset
The Ultimate Matrix Collection
Robert Rodriguez Mexico Trilogy
Three Colors Trilogy (Blue / White / Red)
The Fast and the Furious (don't ask :-[)

Written By: whistledog on 11/22/08 at 12:12 pm

Alien Quadrilogy

Is that the one with just the 4 Alien films?  They now have a 8 film box set that includes all 4 Alien films, both Predator films and both AVP films.  I was so tempted to get it the other day

Written By: Gis on 11/23/08 at 3:35 am

Is that the one with just the 4 Alien films?  They now have a 8 film box set that includes all 4 Alien films, both Predator films and both AVP films.  I was so tempted to get it the other day
Oh my Himself would love that...............

Written By: thereshegoes on 11/24/08 at 10:33 am

Mine is just the 4 Alien. I never really enjoyed Predator as much.

Written By: Hoagies With Myles on 12/03/08 at 3:29 pm

Do you ever go for the Box Sets, or would you rather own each movie individually?

It depends. Sometimes I can get the movies cheaper individually or I might not like all of the movies in a series. But sometimes box sets are just way too cool to pass up.

The Dirty Harry box set that was just released has such awesome packaging and extra little stuff thrown in, I had to buy it.

Written By: snozberries on 03/05/09 at 6:06 am

don't know why I missed this...

yeah Jas I have the die hard box set then had to buy die harder

same with Rocky.. I have the box set then had to buy Balboa to complete it...

the one that really pisses me off tho is now they come out with Back to the Future discs with the Universal Ride included as an extra feature  >:(

I'm sick and tired of having to repurchase these disc because they decide to make them better a few years later.

Written By: Henk on 03/05/09 at 9:33 am

The Ultimate Matrix Collection

I've got the three movies (on DVD). Oddly enough it was cheaper to buy them separately... :-\\

Written By: snozberries on 03/05/09 at 1:25 pm

Oh yeah I have the Alien Box Set, Planet of the Apes and Superman!

Written By: whistledog on 03/06/09 at 8:47 am

Now that I have Blu-Ray, I tend to get the movies separately now as they are way cheaper.  The Bourne Trilogy recently came on Blu-Ray, and almost everywhere I go, it's atleast $89.99.  That's too expensive, plus I saw Matt Damon on Larry King Live one night announce there will be a 4th one

On Blu-Ray, I did get the Spiderman Trilogy for $39.99, The Austin Powers trilogy for $45.99 and the Resident Evil Trilogy for $47.99

Check for new replies or respond here...