inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is there something that is popular but you just don't get it?

Written By: snozberries on 11/30/08 at 11:14 am

Okay I have a confession to make.  I watched the Charlie Brown specials the Thanksgiving one and the Halloween one and You're Not Elected Charlie Brown... and I just don't get the appeal. 

*I know stop throwing stuff at me*  ;D 

I didn't like these as a kid, not when I was in high school and not now. 

Subject: Re: Is there something that is popular but you just don't get it?

Written By: loki 13 on 11/30/08 at 4:58 pm

Okay I have a confession to make.  I watched the Charlie Brown specials the Thanksgiving one and the Halloween one and You're Not Elected Charlie Brown... and I just don't get the appeal.  

I just watched Snoopy Come Home. I like Charlie Brown, maybe it's because I often feel like he does.  ;D

Linus: "Nice going, Charlie Brown. It took that rock 4,000 years to get to shore, and now you've thrown it back."

Charlie Brown: "Everything I do makes me feel guilty."

Written By: woops on 11/30/08 at 6:25 pm

"Star Wars"
Popeye
reality tv
many celebs (too much to list)

"Family Guy"... Don't get me wrong since I like  the first three seasons, but don't understand why it was such a huge cult following

Written By: tv on 11/30/08 at 7:33 pm

Beyonce, and Ringtone Rap.

Written By: Dagwood on 11/30/08 at 7:37 pm

You think people are going to throw stuff at you, snoz, wait until they read what I say.

Harry Potter and Twilight.  I just don't get the appeal of either series

Written By: whistledog on 11/30/08 at 10:16 pm

Seinfeld.  I watched this show when it was popular, but looking back on the reruns, I don't know what I (or anyone) saw in it.  It's the dumbest frigging show ever

Written By: Davester on 12/01/08 at 2:19 am

There's not much to them, that's for sure...

When I was a kid any cartoon airing in prime time was good to go...

My pick - South Park.  I don't know what to say about it other than the episodes I bothered to watch were just not funny at all.  I don't get it... ???

Written By: gibbo on 12/01/08 at 5:10 am

Britney Spears  :o :o :o :o

Written By: snozberries on 12/02/08 at 8:21 pm

"Star Wars"
Popeye
reality tv

"Family Guy"... Don't get me wrong since I like  the first three seasons, but don't understand why it was such a huge cult following

As a kid I thought Star Wars was great... as an adult I find it really boring... there's a lot of politics in it I just don't get...and don't care enough to try.

Popeye.... I can watch it but I don't really care if I do or not.

Reality TV? Depends.. the competition stuff I love like Survivor and Amazing Race. The cooking ones like Top Chef or Hells kitchen... the dating ones?  8-P

Written By: snozberries on 12/02/08 at 8:22 pm

You think people are going to throw stuff at you, snoz, wait until they read what I say.

Yeah I might start flinging at your mention of Harry Potter.. I love it! But I know nothing of Twilight (other than what Tam posts)

Written By: snozberries on 12/02/08 at 8:23 pm

Seinfeld.  I watched this show when it was popular, but looking back on the reruns, I don't know what I (or anyone) saw in it.  It's the dumbest frigging show ever

I liked Seinfeld a lot... I'd still watch it now but I fly into a rage everytime I see Michael Richards so I avoid it at all costs.. I'm sad tho because I know there are eps I would love to see again.

Written By: snozberries on 12/02/08 at 8:25 pm

There's not much to them, that's for sure...

When I was a kid any cartoon airing in prime time was good to go...

My pick - South Park.  I don't know what to say about it other than the episodes I bothered to watch were just not funny at all.  I don't get it... ???

I used to like South Park but a few years ago there was an episode where the teacher Mr Garrison was crying because his ad didn't love him as a kid... how did mr G know his dad didn't love him? Well his dad didn't molest him so that must mean he didn't love his son  >:(

Yeah that episode really pissed me off!

Written By: whistledog on 12/02/08 at 9:06 pm

South Park is one for me also.  The animation is weird, and the humor doesn't make me laugh

Written By: Tam on 12/03/08 at 10:45 am

Dagny :( For Shame!!! ;D

Yep, I love both.

Harry Potter - do I really need to get into this?
Yes, it is about wizards and witches and the like, but ultimately for me, it is the ultimate battle between good and evil. Good obviously prevails every single time. JK's writing just has a way of pulling you in. I can't explain it any better than that I don't think.

Twilight - a classic Romeo and Juliet story, or if you prefer, a classic Jane Austen take on current times.
Yes, there are vampires in the story, and they do consume a lot of the story, but the love story itself is what drew me in. Granted, you would think that it is a teen romance, because the heroine is a 17 year old girl, but the love is of adult magnatude. The whole "can't live without you" love, rocked me to the core of my being. It isn't necessarily for teens alone, and once you look past the ages, you can feel and see everything in the saga. I don't know how else to explain it.

South Park is one for me also.  The animation is weird, and the humor doesn't make me laugh

Me either.

Written By: Tam on 12/03/08 at 10:48 am

I can't get into the Charlie Brown stuff anymore either. ;)

"Star Wars"
Popeye
reality tv

I love Star Wars and can sit through all 6 episodes repeatedly! ;)

Can't stand a lot of reality tv 8-P

Family Guy - The Son and hubby love it. I understand the pop culture references, but I find the humour lacking!

--------------------------------

I don't get the whole Emo genre.
It is basically New Wave and New Romantic revisted... why not call it what it really is?

more to follow ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/03/08 at 12:34 pm

Anime

Written By: snozberries on 12/03/08 at 1:09 pm

Yep, I love both.

Yes, it is about wizards and witches and the like, but ultimately for me, it is the ultimate battle between good and evil. Good obviously prevails every single time. JK's writing just has a way of pulling you in. I can't explain it any better than that I don't think.

its also a good examination of family, friends and a relationships as a whole.... and yes good does win but not without sacrifice... that's what I love about it.

I promise I will read twilight soon

Written By: Tam on 12/03/08 at 1:15 pm

its also a good examination of family, friends and a relationships as a whole.... and yes good does win but not without sacrifice... that's what I love about it.

I promise I will read twilight soon

Awesome addition Q! I always seem to leave the whole sacrifice thing out. No clue as to why. :-\\

As for Twilight - read it when you want to Girl. Just because I say it is great doesn't mean everyone else will agree with me. ;)

Written By: woops on 12/03/08 at 1:42 pm

"Chowder" & "Total Drama Island", though widely popular among teens, young adults, and stoners at Toon Zone forum

Written By: snozberries on 12/03/08 at 1:43 pm

"Chowder" & "Total Drama Island", though widely popular among teens, young adults, and stoners at Toon Zone forum

I'm not familiar with these

Written By: woops on 12/03/08 at 1:48 pm

They're recent animated shows on Cartoon Network.

"Chowder" is about a young purple  cat-like creature (reminiscent of "Eek the Cat") who's an apprentice to a cook named Mung and has a craving for food

"Total Drama Island" is basically an animated version of "Survivor" with a group of teenagers bickering and doing cheesy challenges. No different than it's live action counterparts.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/03/08 at 1:55 pm

Emo

The whole High School Musical craze.

The use of the word "gay".

Happy Tree Friends

The new Care Bears and Strawberry Shortcake kind of scare me. :-[

Written By: woops on 12/03/08 at 1:56 pm

I liked emo when it was originally called alternative  ::)

Written By: karen on 12/03/08 at 1:59 pm

South Park, Family Guy, American Dad, The Simpsons

Rap

Seinfeld

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/03/08 at 2:03 pm

Yes, but now it's become mundane and popular.  I just want to remind some Emo kid that Prozac is still a possibility. ;D

Written By: snozberries on 12/03/08 at 4:10 pm

Emo

The whole High School Musical craze.

The use of the word "gay".

Happy Tree Friends

The new Care Bears and Strawberry Shortcake kind of scare me. :-[

I'm with ya on all of these but the Happy Tree friends for I don't know what these are either.

Thanks woops I think I want to check out that animated survivor show (although the title is a complete turn off).  I think I will pass on Chowder.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/03/08 at 4:14 pm

Britney Spears  :o :o :o :o

I WAS GONNA SAY THAT!  ;D I'm more sick of her than Paris Hilton. Who cares if she;s bald or not? If she's drving with her kid on her lap? I mean, who cares?

They should be reporting on the really important matters...you know like when Michael Jackson's new album will drop or how many shoes Prince owns.

I'm kidding!

In all seriousness, we have a war still going on and a new President about to take office. Every available media outlet should be bringing us the latest on that! Not how many extensions Brtney put in her head!  :)

Written By: snozberries on 12/03/08 at 4:22 pm

I WAS GONNA SAY THAT!  ;D I'm more sick of her than Paris Hilton. Who cares if she;s bald or not? If she's drving with her kid on her lap? I mean, who cares?

They should be reporting on the really important matters...you know like when Michael Jackson's new album will drop or how many shoes Prince owns.

I'm kidding!

In all seriousness, we have a war still going on and a new President about to take office. Every available media outlet should be bringing us the latest on that! Not how many extensions Brtney put in her head!  :)

I liked how Rosie O'Donnell said they were focusing on these (and Lindsay Lohan  8-P ) as a diversionary tactic... like we'd get so obsessed with celebrity we wouldn't even notice the lack of reporting on the war.  ::)

Written By: Dagwood on 12/03/08 at 6:51 pm

Yep, I love both.

Twilight - a classic Romeo and Juliet story, or if you prefer, a classic Jane Austen take on current times.
Yes, there are vampires in the story, and they do consume a lot of the story, but the love story itself is what drew me in. Granted, you would think that it is a teen romance, because the heroine is a 17 year old girl, but the love is of adult magnatude. The whole "can't live without you" love, rocked me to the core of my being. It isn't necessarily for teens alone, and once you look past the ages, you can feel and see everything in the saga. I don't know how else to explain it.

My main problem is the whole hoopla over both.  It made me not want to see or read either.  I am incredibly stubborn and when told "you just have to read, etc" my attitude is "watch me" ;D

Written By: Davester on 12/03/08 at 7:14 pm

I liked it when it was originally called the Pixies...

Written By: snozberries on 12/03/08 at 7:16 pm

My main problem is the whole hoopla over both.  It made me not want to see or read either.  I am incredibly stubborn and when told "you just have to read, etc" my attitude is "watch me" ;D

that's how I am with the Lord of the Rings Triology and.... sound of music.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/03/08 at 7:46 pm

that's how I am with the Lord of the Rings Triology and.... sound of music.

I just barely saw the Sound of Music last year and don't get all the hoopla.

Written By: Tam on 12/03/08 at 8:07 pm

See? And no where in my post did I say that you had to read them did I? ;D

To each their own of course, I only recommend things that I have enjoyed, but what I like is not necessarily what others would like. Take frogs for example.... they taste great with a little salt! :D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Tam on 12/05/08 at 1:06 pm

Thread killa!!!! ;D ;D

Written By: Tia on 12/05/08 at 1:10 pm

dittoes, dag! i was like, jeez, ANOTHER vampire movie? does anyone really think society needs another vampire movie?

as for harry potter, i liked the first movie, and then the rest of the movies were pretty much the same. the books are apparently for children, so it's a little bit disturbing how many putative "adults" read them.

okay. flame me now. i think the lord of the rings movies suck, too.

Written By: Tam on 12/05/08 at 1:15 pm

as for harry potter, i liked the first movie, and then the rest of the movies were pretty much the same. the books are apparently for children, so it's a little bit disturbing how many putative "adults" read them.

You're right Tia - they were originally made for children... but the character grew up and so do people.  I was never going to read it if it weren't for The Son. It was all he was into at the time and I felt like I needed to do something in order to stay connected with him, and have something in common with him. HP worked - but I got hooked at the same time!

The things we do for love! ;D

Written By: gibbo on 12/05/08 at 2:13 pm

I'm a bit the same way. We probably miss out on tons of good stuff!!  But of course..I don't really believe that!! ;)

Written By: woops on 12/05/08 at 3:11 pm

"Arrested Development", it has a cult following, but it was just another genric sitcom, IMHO

Written By: gumbypiz on 12/05/08 at 9:17 pm

On line gaming (i.e X Box Live, World of Warcrap, etc).
Don't understand why anyone is into it or can stand the people they have to associate with when they do. :P

I'm an old gamer, so maybe I missed the boat, but mostly, when I play games, even role playing games, I'd rather do it myself (i.e. BY MYSELF), without hearing a 13 yr old yelling in my headset what I should do or where I should go, thank you.

Its hard enough playing a friendly board game with your friends that you KNOW, much less with a group of people you've never met and have somehow channeled the spirit of MacArthur into their souls while playing a Call to Duty.

I thought one of the reasons why people liked video games is that you were somewhat released from having to do things for, by and with others. You could set out on your own, set your own goals and do, see, explore and experience things in a video game you couldn't be free to in reality.

Last thing I want is to spend $60 on the latest RPG, to go online and have some pre-pubescent snot from the other side of the world vaporize me repeatedly just because I haven't spent the last 700 hours of my young life online playing World of Warcrap. ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/05/08 at 9:53 pm

I liked it when it was originally called the Pixies...

Karma to that!

(I'm a Smiths man myself)
;)

Written By: snozberries on 12/05/08 at 11:47 pm

On line gaming (i.e X Box Live, World of Warcrap, etc).
Don't understand why anyone is into it or can stand the people they have to associate with when they do. :P

I'm an old gamer, so maybe I missed the boat, but mostly, when I play games, even role playing games, I'd rather do it myself (i.e. BY MYSELF), without hearing a 13 yr old yelling in my headset what I should do or where I should go, thank you.

Its hard enough playing a friendly board game with your friends that you KNOW, much less with a group of people you've never met and have somehow channeled the spirit of MacArthur into their souls while playing a Call to Duty.

I thought one of the reasons why people liked video games is that you were somewhat released from having to do things for, by and with others. You could set out on your own, set your own goals and do, see, explore and experience things in a video game you couldn't be free to in reality.

Last thing I want is to spend $60 on the latest RPG, to go online and have some pre-pubescent snot from the other side of the world vaporize me repeatedly just because I haven't spent the last 700 hours of my young life online playing World of Warcrap. ::)

I haven't gone online with my PS3.... | don't have Xbox... you know it would totally piss me off if some 13 year old twat started yelling at me because I wasn't doing it right.  Get me in a room with a bunch of people from my generation so we can all make the learning curve together.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/06/08 at 4:39 pm

High School Musical.

Written By: snozberries on 12/06/08 at 4:42 pm

High School Musical.

Yeah me too  8-P

Written By: wildcard on 12/06/08 at 5:56 pm

I hate Harry Potter.  I want nothing to do with whichcraft.  I do not watch South park.  I often find humor thats more offensive then anything else and don't find it funny.  High School Musical? WT?

Joel plays one of those games in which he wears headphones.  I'm an Intellivision NES-64 type of a player. Four players is cool, but don't tell me what to do. 

I cant seem to read or type while playing/ in between games eaither.  I play a game like that with my brothers and I just play the game.  They started doing stuff like this with Meez a while ago.  Big deal

Written By: coqueta83 on 12/06/08 at 7:24 pm

High School Musical.

Same here.  8-P I wonder if anyone will be reminiscing about HSM ten or twenty years from now?

Written By: snozberries on 12/06/08 at 7:28 pm

Same here.  8-P I wonder if anyone will be reminiscing about HSM ten or twenty years from now?

yeah but it will be all the kids who are 7 now talking about how much they loved it then and how much it sux now.  ;D

Written By: woops on 12/07/08 at 1:01 pm

Also not fond of the highly  overrated "HSM

Also "Saved by the Bell" & "Full House", wich both are overly corny and badly acted.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/07/08 at 1:13 pm

Also not fond of the highly  overrated "HSM

Also "Saved by the Bell" & "Full House", wich both are overly corny and badly acted.

Saved By The Bell bugs me.  Even worse were the "spin-offs". 8-P

Written By: snozberries on 12/07/08 at 2:50 pm

I agree I detest both Saved by the Bell and Full House...

I have a soft spot for Blossom tho. ( I know no one has mentioned Blossom but I thought I'd put it out there just in case it comes up)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/08/08 at 1:04 pm

Chai Lattes or tea or whatever it is.  I think it tastes like crap, and I hate those little round things floating around in it. 

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/08/08 at 1:11 pm

Chai Lattes or tea or whatever it is.  I think it tastes like crap, and I hate those little round things floating around in it. 

I think the little round floating things are spices or some junk.  I don't understand why people are so big on Starbucks. 

Written By: woops on 12/08/08 at 1:56 pm

Billboard Hot 100, there's other charts and most people look at it as if it's the most important

Written By: Haman on 12/16/08 at 5:01 pm

Is there something that is popular but you just don't get it?

Oh yes, there are some things:

- Liberalism
- Multiculturalism
- Political Correctness
- etc.

Well, it is not that I don’t “get it”. I get it perfectly. I just find it vile, despicable, loathsome and disgraceful.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/16/08 at 5:12 pm

- Liberalism
- Multiculturalism
- Political Correctness
- etc.

Well, it is not that I don’t “get it”. I get it perfectly. I just find it vile, despicable, loathsome and disgraceful.

This isn't the politics section.  Perhaps you should either take it somewhere else.  Besides I'm much to polite to tell you what I truly think of your viewpoints.  Although a cave dwelling bigot does come to mind.

Written By: Tam on 12/16/08 at 5:18 pm

- Liberalism
- Multiculturalism
- Political Correctness
- etc.

This isn't the politics section.  Perhaps you should either take it somewhere else.  Besides I'm much to polite to tell you what I truly think of your viewpoints.  Although a cave dwelling bigot does come to mind.

Now, now Kathie - play nice ;)

Seriously though Haman - I understand that you might not like these things, but the political board is a better place to express these views.
Thank you.

Tam
inthe00s moderator

Written By: Haman on 12/17/08 at 7:38 am

Seriously though Haman - I understand that you might not like these things, but the political board is a better place to express these views.
Thank you.

Tam
inthe00s moderator

That's right! I apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you very much for the reminder.

Written By: snozberries on 12/17/08 at 1:12 pm

Hear. hear!

If not for multiculturism I would not be here....

thanks Tam...

Written By: woops on 12/17/08 at 1:34 pm

Limited edition stuff

Especially on the Disney Treasures

Everybody still liked Donald & Mickey after over 70 years and doubt anybody would give a care about the flavor of the month junk on the mouse network within 15 minutes...

Disney princess movies... never understood the appeal

Written By: karen on 12/17/08 at 3:35 pm

Disney princess movies... never understood the appeal

That's because you're not a five year old girl (at least I don't think you are...  :-\\ )

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/17/08 at 3:37 pm

That's because you're not a five year old girl (at least I don't think you are...  :-\\ )

:D  :D  :D

Written By: snozberries on 12/17/08 at 3:37 pm

he's very articulate for a five year old girl  ;D  so if he were a five year old girl he'd be advanced for his age and still not into the disney princesses  ;D

Written By: woops on 12/17/08 at 3:57 pm

Many Disney animation fans have praised them. Especially on the animation sites & "Ultimate Disney".

Isn't 5 years old too young to be online  ::)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/17/08 at 4:04 pm

Many Disney animation fans have praised them. Especially on the animation sites & "Ultimate Disney".

Disney isn't like it used to be. I'll agree with you on that.

If they're old enough to reach the keyboard, then they're old enough to double click.

Written By: karen on 12/17/08 at 6:19 pm

My son is six and he plays the arcade games on here.  Last year he was doing a special project at school and did some research on-line for his Power Point presentation.

Written By: Davester on 12/18/08 at 2:30 am

I'd still be interested in reading HC's viewpoint on those things, in P&R or course... :)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/18/08 at 8:36 am

I'd still be interested in reading HC's viewpoint on those things, in P&R or course... :)

Yes of course.  Proper debate can be done there.  The least he could have done was complained about how P.C SpongeBob Squarepants is.

Written By: woops on 12/18/08 at 8:25 pm

Disney isn't like it used to be. I'll agree with you on that.

If they're old enough to reach the keyboard, then they're old enough to double click.

I meant messageboards.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/18/08 at 8:28 pm

I meant messageboards.

Well we are a bit hard to keep up with.  Yes, five is too young.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/19/08 at 1:36 am

Money.  It's staggeringly popular...and I just don't get it.  Not much of it at least!
:D

Written By: Dagwood on 12/19/08 at 7:24 am

I think money is just a myth. ;D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/19/08 at 12:17 pm

I don't get the new trendy lettering that some people use in their email, on their you tube accounts etc.  It's not cute writing it's down right obnoxious. 8-P

Written By: woops on 12/20/08 at 12:02 pm

"The Simpsons"

Also has a cult following, and isn't actually the first primetime cartoon nor the first that aimed towards adults... not to mention it's still on the air

(I actually watched it back in the day as a kid, but now suprised  that it's still going...)

Written By: Davester on 12/20/08 at 1:04 pm

I think money is just a myth. ;D

Especially since we went off the gold standard...

Written By: joeman on 12/20/08 at 1:54 pm

Myspace

Reality TV

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/20/08 at 4:27 pm

Myspace

Reality TV

I think I could understand one or two reality shows being on but not the ambush of the stupid ones.  I've got to admit "The Surreal Life" was pretty good.

Written By: woops on 01/04/09 at 9:35 pm

blogs

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/04/09 at 9:38 pm

Emo music.

::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/05/09 at 12:43 am

Miley Cyrus

Written By: 80sfan on 03/10/09 at 10:18 pm

-Any music after 1998. Because of rap and teen pop. It all sucks!

-Wanting to be famous. I can't stand having 50 cameras around me!

-Dressing like a wigger. It looks so stupid!

-People who take everything too seriously. So what? You only have one life, why not learn to lighten up?

Written By: 80sfan on 03/10/09 at 10:24 pm

- Liberalism
- Multiculturalism
- Political Correctness
- etc.

Um, I understand why you don't like political correctness because it gets very annoying.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/10/09 at 10:26 pm

Thanks for that. The multiculturalism thing really offended me! I'm asian by the way.

Written By: Fairee07 on 03/10/09 at 11:30 pm

I've got so many that I'm going to try to do my list in alphabetical order (lol!)

Beer (it's just too bitter. I'll stick to my martinis)
Desperate Housewives
Facebook
Fame---I'm with that person that mentioned about having 50 cameras in my face
Gossip Girl
Harry Potter
Rap (post-1990)
Reality TV
Star Wars

Written By: Frank on 03/11/09 at 12:52 am

-Rap music
- American Idol
- "Big brother" TV shows and anything related

Written By: anabel on 03/15/09 at 7:14 pm

Lady GaGa!  8-P

Check for new replies or respond here...