inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: After 35 years, Wogan bids adieu to Eurovision.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/07/08 at 5:25 am

Graham Norton is Eurovision's new Wogan

Sir Terry Wogan is stepping down as commentator on the Eurovision Song Contest after three decades.

Fellow Irishman Graham Norton will take over for the 2009 contest, which will be hosted in Moscow.

Veteran presenter Wogan, 70, cast doubt on whether he would be involved in covering the event again following this year's contest.

He said it was "no longer a music contest" and that prospects for western European participants were "poor".

The show has suffered from accusations of bloc voting, which was blamed by some for leaving Britain's 2008 contestant, Andy Abraham, with only 14 points.

Wogan said he would be "sad to leave it all behind".

He said: "I've had 35 wonderful years commentating on the Eurovision for radio and television.

"From my first, in a small musichall in Dublin, to my last, in the huge arena in Belgrade, it has been nothing but laughter and fun.

"The silly songs, the spectacle, the grandiose foolishness of it all.

"Let's hope that between (Norton) and the musical brilliance of Lloyd Webber, Royaume Uni will gather its proper share of 'Douze Points' and bring the Grand Prix home to where it belongs."

Norton described it as "an amazing job and a huge honour".

He said: "Sir Terry is nothing less than legend and is an impossible act to follow, but somebody must and I just couldn't say no.

"I can't wait to get to Moscow. With a combination of cheap vodka and a language barrier what could possibly go wrong?"

Jay Hunt, Controller of BBC One, thanked Sir Terry for his work on the programmes.

"Terry has enhanced viewers' enjoyment of Eurovision for many years," she said.

"I am delighted that Graham Norton will now be bringing his wit to bear on this iconic music event."

Subject: Re: After 35 years, Wogan bids adieu to Eurovision.

Written By: Paul on 12/08/08 at 7:37 am

In that case, I shan't be watching anymore!

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/08/08 at 7:41 am

In that case, I shan't be watching anymore!
Listen to Ken Bruce on Radio2?

Written By: whistledog on 12/08/08 at 8:37 pm

Does Graham Norton still have his TV Talk Show?  I believe it was called 'So Graham Norton'?

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/09/08 at 2:36 am

Does Graham Norton still have his TV Talk Show?  I believe it was called 'So Graham Norton'?
Yes he still has a chat show on Thursday nights. His guest last week was Barry Manilow.

Check for new replies or respond here...