inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Tonight on a special episode of....

Written By: snozberries on 12/07/08 at 2:55 pm

Sure this line was made famous... or is it famously made fun of  ;D because of Blossom but other shows have had their special episodes too...

Facts of Life (the entire series was practically special) but the episodes that stand out are
Tootie gets drunk
Jo shoplifts
Nat is almost raped
Blair loses her self image/esteem because of a boy.

Diffrent Strokes
Wasn't Dudley almost molested?

Mr Belvedere had a molestation episode too.

Full House didn't DJ go to a party where there were drugs?

Degrassi Next Gen.
Paige is raped

I know there are more bring em on!!!

Subject: Re: Tonight on a special episode of....

Written By: loki 13 on 12/07/08 at 3:13 pm

How about the attempted rape of Edith Bunker on "All In The Family." This episode aired during
a time that such controversial topics were rarely talked about on prime time television.

Written By: snozberries on 12/07/08 at 3:20 pm

How about the attempted rape of Edith Bunker on "All In The Family." This episode aired during
a time that such controversial topics were rarely talked about on prime time television.

yeah that's right that was great episode!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/07/08 at 4:06 pm

WKRP when Jennifer did the advice show-dealing with abuse. They also did an episode about the Who concert where people were killed because they were trampled.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 12/07/08 at 4:08 pm

WKRP when Jennifer did the advice show-dealing with abuse. They also did an episode about the Who concert where people were killed because they were trampled.

Cat

that one about the concert really moved me!

I also remember one about Black Beauties (a drug episode) I don't remember the whole episode tho.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/07/08 at 4:10 pm

Diffrent Strokes
Wasn't Dudley almost molested?

I think Dudley was molested, Arnold got skeeved out and left before anything happened.

There was also the episode when Kimberly and Arnold spent all their cab money Christmas shopping so they hitchhiked and got kidnapped.

Written By: snozberries on 12/07/08 at 4:12 pm

I think Dudley was molested, Arnold got skeeved out and left before anything happened.

There was also the episode when Kimberly and Arnold spent all their cab money Christmas shopping so they hitchhiked and got kidnapped.

Kimberly & Arnold were kidnapped... I do not remember that episode but I will be looking for it!

Oh on Good Times JJ eloped with Debbie Allen who was addicted to heroin
and of course Penny was abused by her mom

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/07/08 at 4:32 pm

I remember an episode of Diff'rent Strokes where Kimberly was going dating someone who turned out to be prejudice.

Facts of Life (first season) when the older girls smoked some pot. I don't know if it was Blair but I think the other girl-can't remember her name.

How about One Day at a Time. It seems like every show they had some kind of crisis-runaway, drugs, etc. etc.

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 12/07/08 at 4:37 pm

Kimberly & Arnold were kidnapped... I do not remember that episode but I will be looking for it!

It wasn't a Christmas one, like I originally thought.

http://www.tv.com/diffrent-strokes/the-hitchhikers--1--a.k.a.--hitchhiking--1/episode/27245/summary.html?tag=ep_guide;ep_title;15

http://www.tv.com/diffrent-strokes/the-hitchhikers--2--a.k.a.--hitchhiking--2/episode/27246/summary.html?tag=ep_guide;ep_title;16

That also brought up the Nancy Regan episode.

Written By: whistledog on 12/07/08 at 5:38 pm

Gordon Jump played the owner of the bicycle shop that Arnold and Dudley went to.  He ended up luring them into his back room apartment, gave them candy, showed them sex type films, and made them take off their shirts so he could take photos.  If you liked Gordon Jump on WKRP and Growing Pains, then don't watch this episode LOL

Written By: whistledog on 12/07/08 at 6:02 pm

From one of my favourite shows:  The Hogan Family ...

♦ In a season 3 episode, an electrical lamp in the attic caused a short circuit which started a fire, destroying most of the memories of Valerie in the process.  As the family come to terms with the loss of visual memories, they reminisce about the memories that can never be forgotten.  This was a well-written episode because even though in real life Valerie didn't die (she was written out of the show after a contract dispute), you actually believed within the story lines that she was gone, and you couldn't help but cry along with the characters in the show. 

♦ When David jeopardized his friendship with Rich by locking him in a closet in order to prevent him from driving home from a party while intoxicated

♦ When David learns that Rich contracted Aids.  After succumbing to the disease, they held a memoriam for him at school, and as David stood up at the podium, he cried as he talked about the disease and how much he will miss his friend.  To this day, that episode still moves me to tears

Written By: whistledog on 12/07/08 at 6:50 pm

I remember Family Matters tackled a few serious issues ...

♦ At Maxine's rooftop Birthday party, a sore loser, angry at Steve for showing him up at a school boxing match, spikes the punch causing Steve to get drunk and walk a thin line on the edge of the roof.  This episode was famous for the "Do the Urkel" dance scene

♦ When Eddie told Carl he got pulled over by the police again, Carl refused to listen because he thought Eddie had gotten another speeding ticket, but when Eddie described the situation, it turns out he was pulled over simply because he was a black teenager driving though a white neighbourhood

♦ When Steve learns that the bully who takes pride in beating him up has come ill with Lukemia, he puts the past aside and organizes a drive for a bone marrow transplant to save the bully's life

♦ When Laura gets robbed by a gang of girls at school, she contemplates buying a gun, but ends up thinking twice about it when one of her friends is shot after refusing to give up her jacket

Written By: snozberries on 12/07/08 at 8:31 pm

What about the Gimme a Break where Samantha calls Nell a  :-X  I don't know if it qualifies as a special episode but I am not a fan of Gimme a Break but that episode made me a misty...

Oh  the Fresh Prince where Will gets shot saving Carlton. The acting in that episode gets me everytime!

Written By: coqueta83 on 12/07/08 at 8:41 pm

♦ When Laura gets robbed by a gang of girls at school, she contemplates buying a gun, but ends up thinking twice about it when one of her friends is shot after refusing to give up her jacket

That episode freaked me out when I first watched it. At one point I was worried that something like that could happen at my high school, even though I considered my school to be pretty safe.  :(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/07/08 at 9:17 pm

wasn't there an episode of Growing Pains...where Carol Seaver's boyfriend dies?

Written By: snozberries on 12/07/08 at 10:08 pm

Yes... played by Matthew Perry.  It was a good one!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/07/08 at 10:10 pm

Yes... played by Matthew Perry.  It was a good one!

Didn't the younger sister on the TV show, Life Goes On (I think her name was Becca on the show) have a boyfriend that died as well?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/07/08 at 10:37 pm

Family Ties had a few of them as I recall...

Tom Hanks (who played Elyse's brother) come for a visit and he turns out to have a drinking problem or something.

Also Alex gets hooked on Diet Pills and freaks out.  ;D

Also one of Alex's friends dies on another episode, but I forget what the storyline was behind that one.  :-\\

Written By: whistledog on 12/07/08 at 10:51 pm

Also one of Alex's friends dies on another episode, but I forget what the storyline was behind that one.  :-\\

Alex's best friend Greg dies in a car crash, which causes him to contemplate the purpose and meaning of his own life

Written By: snozberries on 12/07/08 at 11:09 pm

Didn't the younger sister on the TV show, Life Goes On (I think her name was Becca on the show) have a boyfriend that died as well?

Her boyfriend had AIDS if I recall correctly and yes I think he did die.

Written By: snozberries on 12/07/08 at 11:10 pm

Alex's best friend Greg dies in a car crash, which causes him to contemplate the purpose and meaning of his own life

I thought he committed suicide?  Wasn't he played by Timothy Busfield?

I love the one where Alex gets high!  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 12/07/08 at 11:26 pm

♦ When David learns that Rich contracted Aids.  After succumbing to the disease, they held a memoriam for him at school, and as David stood up at the podium, he cried as he talked about the disease and how much he will miss his friend.  To this day, that episode still moves me to tears

I found this one on YouTube.  Still brings a tear to my eye :\'(

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9gwU9ImH9c
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0WNDmNQ3sg
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwYTWnGsJeE

Written By: whistledog on 12/07/08 at 11:27 pm

I thought he committed suicide?  Wasn't he played by Timothy Busfield?

I love the one where Alex gets high!  ;D

I remember Busfield as Alex's friend, but as I recall, he never died.  There was an episode where Alex and him briefly dissolved their friendship because Alex thought he was rushing into marriage and that Alex was going to lose his best friend

Written By: snozberries on 12/07/08 at 11:46 pm

I remember Busfield as Alex's friend, but as I recall, he never died.  There was an episode where Alex and him briefly dissolved their friendship because Alex thought he was rushing into marriage and that Alex was going to lose his best friend

oh yeah.... I'm merging my episodes again.

Written By: snozberries on 12/07/08 at 11:48 pm

a different world did an episode where Tishia Campbell guest starred... she had AIDS

Designing Women had an AIDS episode too... with Tony Goldwyn (one of my favs for this show)

21 Jumpstreet did an AIDS ep...was that the one with Brad Pitt or am I mixing my eps up again?

Designing Women also did the episode where Suzanne had to go back to her reunion and people gave her a hard time because she got fat....BEST EPISODE EVER! 

Written By: Tam on 12/07/08 at 11:51 pm

Fresh Prince

Carlton takes speed thinking it is Vitamin E

Will's father returns only to leave him hanging. I cry everytime Will says "How come he don't want me man?"  :\'(

Written By: snozberries on 12/07/08 at 11:52 pm

Fresh Prince

Carlton takes speed thinking it is Vitamin E

Will's father returns only to leave him hanging. I cry everytime Will says "How come he don't want me man?" ;D

Oh remember when Carlton went to live in the 'hood because Will bet him he couldn't survive?  ;D  Now that was special!

Written By: coqueta83 on 12/07/08 at 11:53 pm

I recall an episode of the Golden Girls where Rose had an HIV scare, but was tested negative.

Written By: snozberries on 12/07/08 at 11:54 pm

Tonight on a special episode of Facts of Life one of the girls goes all the way...

Yep Nat loses her V to Snake  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 12/08/08 at 12:27 am

Designing Women had an AIDS episode too... with Tony Goldwyn (one of my favs for this show)

I need to find a clip of this one.  I like Tony Goldwyn and I loved Designing Women, but this one doesn't ring a bell.  Man, I want that show on DVD.  That 'Best Of' set just won't do

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/08/08 at 9:28 am

Her boyfriend had AIDS if I recall correctly and yes I think he did die.

you're thinking of her 2nd boyfriend, Jesse (played by Chad Lowe). Her first boyfriend was a jock-type..I think he died in a car accident.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/08/08 at 1:18 pm

There was also M*A*S*H when they killed off Henry or All in the Family when they killed Edith off.

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 12/08/08 at 2:54 pm

There was also M*A*S*H when they killed off Henry or All in the Family when they killed Edith off.

Cat

Those two made me cry, especially the All In The Family.  Archie looked so lost.

Written By: coqueta83 on 12/08/08 at 7:31 pm

you're thinking of her 2nd boyfriend, Jesse (played by Chad Lowe). Her first boyfriend was a jock-type..I think he died in a car accident.

Yeah, I remember that....Corky (Chris Burke) was in the car with him when the accident happened. He was injured, but Tyler (I think that was the first boyfriend's name) got killed.

Written By: snozberries on 12/08/08 at 8:49 pm

I need to find a clip of this one.  I like Tony Goldwyn and I loved Designing Women, but this one doesn't ring a bell.  Man, I want that show on DVD.  That 'Best Of' set just won't do

Except this episode is on the Best of DVD  ;)  The official title is Killing All the Right People.

Written By: snozberries on 12/08/08 at 8:51 pm

hmmm I remember Chad Lowe and Taylor or tyler the boy popular boy who had a brother sib who was develop mentally disabled but the family was ashamed of it. I don't remember him dying tho. Its been awhile since I've seen the series. I have season one but as I recall Becca was crushing hard in season one but not yet dating.

Written By: snozberries on 12/08/08 at 8:52 pm

Yeah, I remember that....Corky (Chris Burke) was in the car with him when the accident happened. He was injured, but Tyler (I think that was the first boyfriend's name) got killed.

I honestly do not remember this episode....  :-\\

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/08/08 at 10:26 pm

yes....that was it!

Written By: snozberries on 12/08/08 at 10:27 pm

yes....that was it!

they really need to get the rest of the series released on DVD... I need to see this episode... maybe I was so affected by it I just blocked it!  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/08/08 at 10:28 pm

they really need to get the rest of the series released on DVD... I need to see this episode... maybe I was so affected by it I just blocked it!  ;D

I really loved the relationship that Becca had with Jesse...it was so pure.

Written By: loki 13 on 12/09/08 at 4:41 pm

I was thinking about this thread in work today and I came up with a few more. One episode
was so special it took three weeks to cover and another was a special season but one episode
stood out as more special.

Happy Days:

Fonzie headed west to audition for a part in a movie. Hollywood was looking for the next James Dean and
Fonzie was a perfect fit. He employed the help of Richie to help him with his lines and the whole Cunningham
family went west with him. After reading for the part the producers fell in love with Richie's boyish charms
and were no longer looking at Fonzie for any part but instead offered a contract to Richie. This change of
events threatened to rip their friendship apart. Richie, being a true friend, declined the contract and friendships
remained intact.

Something else happened in this three week episode that will be forever synonymous with failure. In fact, this
event is more known than the actual subject of the episode.

The Flintstones:

Wilma becomes pregnant. the big episode in this season is when Barney and Betty try to adopt Bam-Bam. For
some reason the Rubbles can't have kids and try to adopt. A rich guy also wants to adopt Bam-Bam and wins
the case in court. Barney, really distraught, flees the courtroom. The Rich guy sees how much Bam-Bam means
to the Rubbles and decides to recind his adoption application giving Bam-Bam to the Rubbles. Fred finds Barney
standing on a bridge with a rope around his waist and tied to a rock. After finding out Bam-Bam was awarded
to Betty and Him. Barney is overjoyed and hands the rock to Fred, who immediately fall from the bridge into
the water.

The Brady Bunch:

Mrs. Brady finds a pack of cigarettes in Greg's Jacket and Greg swears the cigarettes aren't his. After going through
the whole, "smoking is bad for you," routine we find out the jacket belonged to a friend of Greg and they weren't
his afterall.

Written By: snozberries on 12/09/08 at 4:46 pm

I was thinking about this thread in work today and I came up with a few more. One episode
was so special it took three weeks to cover and another was a special season but one episode
stood out as more special.

Happy Days:

Fonzie headed west to audition for a part in a movie. Hollywood was looking for the next James Dean and
Fonzie was a perfect fit. He employed the help of Richie to help him with his lines and the whole Cunningham
family went west with him. After reading for the part the producers fell in love with Richie's boyish charms
and were no longer looking at Fonzie for any part but instead offered a contract to Richie. This change of
events threatened to rip their friendship apart. Richie, being a true friend, declined the contract and friendships
remained intact.

Something else happened in this three week episode that will be forever synonymous with failure. In fact, this
event is more known than the actual subject of the episode.

The Flintstones:

Wilma becomes pregnant. the big episode in this season is when Barney and Betty try to adopt Bam-Bam. For
some reason the Rubbles can't have kids and try to adopt. A rich guy also wants to adopt Bam-Bam and wins
the case in court. Barney, really distraught, flees the courtroom. The Rich guy sees how much Bam-Bam means
to the Rubbles and decides to recind his adoption application giving Bam-Bam to the Rubbles. Fred finds Barney
standing on a bridge with a rope around his waist and tied to a rock. After finding out Bam-Bam was awarded
to Betty and Him. Barney is overjoyed and hands the rock to Fred, who immediately fall from the bridge into
the water.

The Brady Bunch:

Mrs. Brady finds a pack of cigarettes in Greg's Jacket and Greg swears the cigarettes aren't his. After going through
the whole, "smoking is bad for you," routine we find out the jacket belonged to a friend of Greg and they weren't
his afterall.

but that's when Happy Days jumped the shark...

I prefer the episode when Fonzie lost his sight.

Written By: whistledog on 12/10/08 at 12:43 am

The one special Happy Days episode for me was when Fonzie wanted to adopt Danny (played by Danny Ponce, future star of 'Valerie'), the orphan he befriended in a Big Brother program.  The adoption administrator thought Fonzie was unfit to be a father because of his appearance and way of life, so Howard stepped in to show just how good of a father that Fonzie would be to Danny

Written By: whistledog on 12/17/08 at 10:35 pm

Here's the full episode for viewing online.  It really brings a tear to one's eye :\'(

http://www.blinkx.com/video/growing-pains-second-chance/YXnQktAK9XpsDENaKbVDXA

Check for new replies or respond here...