inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Happy 15th Anniversary, DOOM!

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/11/08 at 10:29 pm

It's not the prequels of Wolfenstein 3D.  It's not the sequels of Heretic, Quake, and DOOM 3.  It's definitely not the repressed memories of Daikatana (who's gonna make whom whose bitch again?).  It's not the so-bad-it-was-just-bad movie.

But it is the so-bad-its-awesome Doom Comic Book.

It's the then top-of-the-line '486 that I bought specifically to play this game.

It's because I can still remember jumping out of my seat the first time I found one of those pink daemons.

But most of all, it's the fact the game didn't end even when I went to sleep that night.

Happy 15th Anniversary, DOOM.  Thank you, Carmack and Romero, for making a knee-deep-in-the-dead Hell on Earth so much God-damned fun.

Edit: FAIL!  15 years, not 10.  Blaming it on the beer.

Subject: Re: Happy 10th Anniversary, DOOM!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/13/08 at 7:42 pm

I seem to remember Doom coming out in 1993.  Pre-Quake Doom was the last video game I was ever hooked on. 

Subject: Re: Happy 15th Anniversary, DOOM!

Written By: whistledog on 12/15/08 at 7:03 pm

I never did play DOOM, but I did love it's predecessor 'Wolfenstein 3-D'

Subject: Re: Happy 15th Anniversary, DOOM!

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/24/11 at 2:23 am

I never did play DOOM, but I did love it's predecessor 'Wolfenstein 3-D'

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/newsfeed/000/205/228/1ExC0.jpg

DOOM beat Wolf3D on moddability.  But I don't think Carmack or Romero ever imagined that it'd still be relevant enough to get pepper-sprayed!

Check for new replies or respond here...