inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Older bands conforming to newer trends

Written By: joeman on 12/31/08 at 11:13 am

Last month I found out that Kiss made a record in 1997 called "Carnival of Souls" but they went to the grunge/alternative direction rather than their usual hard rock.  It wasn't a bad record, but it made me think that they made this sound to sell records and jump into the bandwagon.

Some say Metallica did the same in 2003 when they put out St Anger.  The low-sounding guitars and angst ridden lyrics echo the nu-metal fad that was dying at the time.

That said, what other bands have done the same and if the band made the particular sound work?

PS..I couldn't find any songs on youtube of KISS's particular album but I did find a recording session:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMT5RUyha1I

Subject: Re: Older bands conforming to newer trends

Written By: gibbo on 12/31/08 at 3:11 pm

I guess The Bee Gees made the disco sound work for them.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/31/08 at 4:11 pm

The Monkees tried that once or twice.  I never forgave them.

Written By: Tam on 12/31/08 at 7:39 pm

Duran Duran recently did it - using Timbaland to produce their album. Of course, hardcore D2 fans loved it - but mainstream didn't pick it up so easily.

Madonna does it all the time.

I personally thought that Metallica jumped ship with Load and ReLoad

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/31/08 at 8:14 pm

That said, what other bands have done the same and if the band made the particular sound work?

For consideration, I submit ZZ Top's two-album experiment (Eliminator and Afterburner) into blending keyboard/synthesizer-based rock.

KISS's venture into disco came across as self-parody. 

Duran Duran recent covers of Grandmaster Flash's "White Lines" and Public Enemy's "911 is a Joke" sounded stale and contrived, drawing the worst elements from both worlds.

ZZ Top made it work.  Eliminator and Afterburner are undeniably Texas-fried rock/blues, and the guitars/percussion are still predominant.  They're just using a few newly-invented instruments (keyboard/synthesizer/sequencer) to add a more modern (for the New-Wave inspired mid-80s) note to a classic sound.  I wish it had caught on.

Written By: Davester on 01/01/09 at 12:10 am

Skid Row's Slave to the Grind  (1991) was a good example of what you're talking about.  Big change.  A completely different sound and I think this was right around the time grunge music hit...

Well, I liked it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeslRb91h8o

KISS The Elder was their venture into concept after concept was cool...

Written By: whistledog on 01/01/09 at 2:05 am

♦ Both The Rolling Stones and Rod Stewart sold out in 1978 and recorded Disco.  The end result was 2 #1 hits respectively with 'Miss You' and 'Da Ya Think I'm Sexy'

♦ In the early 80s, Electronic Music was taking Europe by storm and synth wizards Depeche Mode were riding high, but without major US success.  As the decade slowly came to an end, they dropped their keyboards, picked up drums and guitars, released 'Violator' in 1989 and finally made themselves a name in North America

♦ In the mid 90s, British jazz group Everything But the Girl released the song 'Missing'.  Originally it did nothing for the group until a dance remix by Todd Terry took the clubs by storm and became their first ever US Hot 100 hit.  Capitalizing on this success, they switched to Electronic music and attained a huge following in the US

♦ In 1985, Genesis vocalist Phil Collins released 'No Jacket Required', an upbeat synth/pop album which was a genre he had never really tackled before.  The album went on to spawn 5 hit singles and went Multi-Platinum in the US.  That same year, Genesis founder Mike Rutherford did likewise with his side project Mike + the Mechanics, whose self-titled album spawned 3 US Top 40 hits.  Together, the two brought this sound back to Genesis and the resulting 1986 album 'Invisible Touch' went multi-platinum and spawned 5 US Top 5 hits

Check for new replies or respond here...