inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Which decade was better

Written By: Big Nasty on 01/02/09 at 7:51 pm

So which decade was better for sports?  I am not asking about any one specific sport, just all of sports in general.  The 70's have a strong case with the Steelers of the NFL, The Canadiens of the NHL, and two Pro Basketball leagues (NBA & ABA) Of course the 80's had Bird, Magic, and Jordan in the NBA; Gretzky in the NHL, and the 49ers of the NFL.  Now is the time to cast your vote for the decade and I would like for you to leave a post explaining your vote.

Subject: Re: Which decade was better

Written By: Dagwood on 01/02/09 at 8:05 pm

The 80's.  And I say this because the 80's were better for everything.  ;)

I wasn't big into sports then, but the one thing that sticks out was the Superbowl Shuffle and William "Refrigerator" Perry.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 01/03/09 at 11:47 am

I hit the 90s but really it was the 80's/90's cusp. I'm thinking about Detroit & the Bad Boys.  8)

that's the Pistons for you NBA illiterates!  ;)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/03/09 at 5:22 pm

I chose the '70s, although I did not live in that decade; I still like the feeling of the '70s and the music and the whole feeling in general. I'd choose the '80s, but I think that would be too obvious of an answer for someone born in the '80s.

Written By: tv on 01/04/09 at 8:00 pm

Probably the 90's was the best for Pro Sports with Michael Jordan, Karl Malone, Shawn Kemp, Gary Payton, David Robinson, Hakeem Olajuwan, and Reggie Miller being stars in the NBA. You had the Cowboys winning 3 Super Bowls in the 90's who I hate but they had great players like Michael Irvin, Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, and Deion Sanders. John Elway won 2 Super Bowls with the Denver Broncos in 1997-1998 and 1998-1999. My New York Giants beat the Buffalo Bills in Super Bowl 25 in 1990-1991 season! You great running backs like Terell Davis and Barry Sanders in the 90's too in the NFL. How about the Minnesota Vikings going 15-1 in the 1998 regular season too?

My New York Yankees won 3 World Series in the 90's too in pro baseball.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/04/09 at 8:09 pm

The '90s for this Clevelander, we had the Indians doing so well in the late decade and almost winning it all though sadly it didn't happen, but it was some good memories for me.

Written By: loki 13 on 01/04/09 at 8:51 pm

One thing about professional sports is that it has been in a decline since the 70's. Up until the 70's and even early 80's
every team in all the major sports had 1 or 2 players that were legitimate Hall Of Fame candidates, after that there may
be 1 or 2 candidates in the whole league. Also, up until the early 80's many players held a team loyalty, money was an
issue but staying loyal to a team and playing the game for the love of the game was common practice. The selfish player
and greedy owner has taken over the sport and it's the fans who pay the ultimate price. So to cast a vote, I will vote
the decade in which I witnessed, The Big Red Machine, The Purple People Eaters, The Steel Curtain, The Broad Street
Bullies, I vote the 70's.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/04/09 at 9:06 pm

My vote is for the 80's.

Written By: Big Nasty on 02/15/09 at 1:14 pm

I would have to say the 80's and into the 90's as well.  I mean the Greatest Athletes in each sport pretty much played during this time...
Basketball....Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, and Larry Bird.
Hockey...Mario Lemieux, and Wayne Gretzky
Baseball...Cal Ripken, well it is hard to name ones that were not cheating...LOL
Football...Jerry Rice, Walter Peyton, Dan Marino, Joh Elway, and Joe Montana.
NASCAR...Richard Petty, and Dale Sr.
Even Sports Entertainment (which was at it's peak) Wrestling...Hulk Hogan
Olympics...Greg Luganis, and Carl Lewis.

I know I feel fortunate to have lived in a time with so many great sports moments and so many great athletes...

Written By: nicole1977 on 02/24/09 at 5:42 am

80s and 90s because those were my coming up years.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/24/09 at 9:10 am

I'd say it would depend on where you were.  People living in a winning city would say whatever years their own particular team was doing well.

Written By: Tiramisu on 03/04/09 at 4:15 am

80s or 90s

Written By: nicole1977 on 12/11/09 at 11:26 pm

As far as music is concern 70s, 80s, and 90s.

Written By: Frank on 12/12/09 at 12:19 am

For sports: 70s and 80s

Hockey: Bobby Orr, Guy Lafleur, Wayne Gretzky, Lemieux. You would also have seen Jean Beliveau & Gordie Howe and Bobby Hull as well
Baseball: Seen Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, McCovey and the ends of their careers. The Big Red Machine, Reggie, Mike Schmidt, Nolan Ryan, Tom Seaver, Bob Gibson, Steve Carlton, Yaz

Written By: 80sfan on 12/13/09 at 5:41 pm

One thing about professional sports is that it has been in a decline since the 70's. Up until the 70's and even early 80's
every team in all the major sports had 1 or 2 players that were legitimate Hall Of Fame candidates, after that there may
be 1 or 2 candidates in the whole league.

Very interesting, I didn't know this. 1 karamel.

Check for new replies or respond here...