inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Lucky Strike Cigarettes?

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/09/09 at 12:48 pm

Hi Everyone!

I was wondering if you could help me. I'''ve begun work on a story and in it, one of my prinicpal characters is a chain smoker. At first I was going to have her smoking Malboros (because my own mother smoked those before I made her quit) but I've taken a shine to brand Lucky Strike. (I'm s fan of the show Mad Men and the lead character on there smokes them) The only problem is, instead of my story being in 1961 like Mad Men, it starts in 1983. Now I am not a smoker, so I don't know anythng about cigarettes.

What I want to know is, did they still make Lucky Strike cigraettes by 1983-1984? (If they didn't I'll choose another brand)

Thanks so much! And Karmas for any and all info!

Subject: Re: Lucky Strike Cigarettes?

Written By: danootaandme on 01/09/09 at 1:10 pm

Yes, and they were never called Lucky Strikes by anyone, they were always referred to as "Luckies" 

Written By: snozberries on 01/09/09 at 1:17 pm

Here's a history for Lucky Strikes... I don't smoke either but they seem to have still been avail in the 80s don't know how popular they were. tho.  http://www.cigarettespedia.com/index.php/BrandLucky_Strike

seems all my peeps were smoking Salems and Malboro

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/09/09 at 2:19 pm

Hey Y'all!

Thanks so much for the info! I really appreciate it. And Snoz, that website is amazing. I actually found a pic of the pack of cigarettes my mother used to smoke. I havent' seen that pack of ciggies since I was 10 years old!  ;D

Thanks for the info guys!  :)

Written By: snozberries on 01/09/09 at 2:22 pm

Hey Y'all!

Thanks so much for the info! I really appreciate it. And Snoz, that website is amazing. I actually found a pic of the pack of cigarettes my mother used to smoke. I havent' seen that pack of ciggies since I was 10 years old!  ;D

Thanks for the info guys!  :)

you're welcome!

Written By: danootaandme on 01/10/09 at 1:05 pm

When I was a kid if you saw a pack on the ground you stepped on it slapped the person next to you and said "Lucky Strike"  It was supposed to bring them and you luck.

Written By: coqueta83 on 01/10/09 at 7:50 pm

Every time I think of Lucky Strike cigarettes, I think about the beginning part of "Beverly Hills Cop" with Axel Foley in that truck with those big boxes of those cigarettes.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 01/11/09 at 1:01 pm

Every time I think of Lucky Strike cigarettes, I think about the beginning part of "Beverly Hills Cop" with Axel Foley in that truck with those big boxes of those cigarettes.  ;D

I love that scene

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/11/09 at 4:44 pm

Thanks for all the help guys.

I feel like a major dingbat right now.  :-\\ Less thatn 2 hours after I posted my quesiton about Luckies, I was flipping through an old Rolling Stone mag from 1984. (I barely touch it because it has an old Prince cover and article in it) and as I'm flipping thereis a big old Luckies ad!  >:( LOL.

I almost screamed bloody freaking murder when I saw it.

Check for new replies or respond here...