inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite rock star quotes.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/18/09 at 11:32 am

Enjoy...

"See this guitar right here, now do you see it? This guitar is guareenteed to blow the balls off a charging rhino at 60 paces, yes indeed baby."

Ted Nugent

"I got rabies shots for biting the head off a bat but that's OK - the bat had to get Ozzy shots."

Ozzy Osbourne

"Confusious say. He who sits with stick in hand may look crazy, but is actually close to nuts."

Joey Kramer

"I wasn't that wild about that. I told them basically if they were really going to want to bring back heavy metal to a program on MTV, then they are really going to have to get in touch with what real heavy metal is."

Phil Anselmo

"If you are a pop band, don't say you're a metal band. Poison and Warrant were about as metal as the Backstreet Boys."

Geezer Butler

and my favorite......

There was a preacher in Denver named Bob Larson who had a big part in starting the rumors about KISS standing for Knights In Satan's Service (which is totaly BS of course) and he and Gene Simmons once met for an interview....it went something like this (I'm paraphrasing here, this is just from what I recall of it)

Larson: So Gene do you know you look like the Devil?

Gene: How do you know that? Have you met the Devil?

Larson: Well Gene, just what do you believe in?

Gene: I don't really practice it, but I am Jewish (Gene was born in Haifa Israel)

Larson: Well don't you know that you have to believe in Jesus to go to Heaven?

Gene: Sir, Jesus was a Jew, I win, shutup.

Subject: Re: Favorite rock star quotes.

Written By: Davester on 01/18/09 at 5:07 pm

Ha!  Nuge is always good for an amusing quote...

So is David Lee Roth...

"Van Halen's brand of heavy metal is a combination of religion and hockey..."

"People talk about the partying and wildness that goes on...I think that is part-and-parcel of the artistic process...what kind of poem are you gonna get out of a glass of iced tea..?"

God love ye, Dave...

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/18/09 at 6:16 pm

More quotes....

“I'd like to have a beer-holder on my guitar like they have on boats.”

"You've gotta keep fit to play that hard every night. Better order five more beers.”

James Hetfield

“I'm sick and tired of people saying that we put out 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we've put out 12 albums that sound exactly the same.”

Angus Young

“I think I'd make a better president than George Bush. I'll tell you what, George Bush and Dick Cheney have been to jail more times than I have, and I used to shoot heroin, now what does that tell you?”

“If you guys are going to be throwing beer bottles at us, at least make sure they're full.”

Dave Mustaine

“He has a woman's name and wears makeup. How original.”

Alice Cooper

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/18/09 at 6:20 pm

More Alice Cooper quotes.....

“If you're listening to a rock star in order to get your information on who to vote for, you're a bigger moron than they are.”

“The hippies wanted peace and love. We wanted Ferraris, blondes and switchblades.”

“If you blink your eyes or go get a Coke, you've missed 10 things,”

“And you'd be right to do that. But the funny thing is I haven't watered down Alice. Alice the character on stage is just as dastardly as ever. If you sit in the first 20 rows of my show, you're covered in fake blood. The attitude behind it is totally for fun. The audience in the '70s was so easy to shock. Now I can't be as shocking as CNN.”

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/18/09 at 6:27 pm

Ozzy quotes........

"Being sober on a bus is, like, totally different than being drunk on a bus.”

"Dogs smoke in France”

“I can honestly say, all the bad things that ever happened to me were directly, directly attributed to drugs and alcohol. I mean, I would never urinate at the Alamo at nine o'clock in the morning dressed in a woman's evening dress sober.”

"It took a lot of water to down just that ****** bat's head, let me tell you. It's still stuck in my ***** throat, after all these years. People all over the world say, 'You're the guy who kills creatures? You still do it? You do it every night?' It happened ****** once, for Christ's sake."

Written By: loki 13 on 01/18/09 at 8:40 pm

Frank Zappa....

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline --- it helps if you have some kind
of football team or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." 

"Communism won't work because people like to own stuff."

"The American idea of love is ridiculous. It's a fantasy, a fairytale. It's based on goals that cannot be
achieved and fantasies that don't exist."

"The typical rock fan isn't smart enough to know when he's being dumped on."

"People who agree with you already agree with you --- you don't change peoples minds."

Neil Young....

"The Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame was a great idea when it started, but I think they ought to close
it, I think it's full."

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/19/09 at 11:27 am

Iggy Pop

“What did Christ really do? He hung out with hard-drinking fishermen.”

"Well, the stuff that has become more commercial doesn't have any edge.”

"I have a hot memory, but I know I've forgotten many things, too, just squashed things in favor of survival.”

David Bowie

“I'm an instant star. Just add water and stir.”

“You can neither win nor lose if you don't run the race.”

“I'm always amazed that people take what I say seriously. I don't even take what I 'am' seriously.”

Tommy Lee

“They said he had a gun. No gun was ever found.”

"I'm not a maniac.”

“OK, whatever it takes for you guys to continue publicizing my stupid life and terrible music.”

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/22/09 at 9:50 pm

This is one of my favorites:

"It's not whether you win or lose, but HOW GOOD YOU LOOK!" --David Lee Roth!  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/23/09 at 12:15 pm

Part I

Frank Z:

It's fairly obvious, since Richard Nixon, that there is no such thing as a fair deal for any voter in the United States — You're just not gonna get it. It's a joke — the people that you vote for, they're the next best thing to criminals. But of course they have money for advertising campaigns that make them look a little bit better than they actually are.

I like to watch the news, because I don't like people very much and when you watch the news ... if you ever had an idea that people were really terrible, you could watch the news and know that you're right.

The most important thing to do in your life, is to not interfere with somebody else's life.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

Tom Waits:

Champagne for my real friends and real pain for my sham friends.

Iggy Pop:

Look, you're here to see me, and I can't go on until my dealer is here, and he's waiting to be paid, so give me some money so I can fix up, and then you'll get your show.

John Lydon:

People don't like other poor people, and rather than blame the people that make you all poor, you blame each other.

Sometimes the most positive thing you can be in a boring society is absolutely negative.

Ozzy:

"So the other day I was sitting around me 'ouse and I thinks to me-self, Fuggin' 'ell, Osbourne..."

Jello:

For every prohibition you create you also create an underground.

This is my home. Home is where the disease is. As long as I stay in America, I'll never run out of subjects for songs.

What I'm getting at is, you know, if we really want to get serious about helping all the people living in the street and getting people jobs, we could just hire half the people in the country to spy on the other half.

When there's people on the other side of the room trying to wipe out your life and things are stacked against you, you can get nervous.

Sting:

What you really want to know is whether or not a lick p*ssy and stuff.  'Course I do.

Brian Eno:

If there is a new fascism, it won't come from skinheads and punks; it will come from people who eat granola and think they know how the world should be.

Avant-garde music is sort of research music. You're glad someone's done it but you don't necessarily want to listen to it.

I hate the rock music tradition. I can't bear it!

I often work by avoidance.

I think generally playing live is a crap idea. So much of stage work is the presentation of personality, and I've never been interested in that.

Shane MacGowan:

The most important thing to remember about drunks is that drunks are far more intelligent than non-drunks. They spend a lot of time talking in pubs, unlike workaholics who concentrate on their careers and ambitions, who never develop their higher spiritual values, who never explore the insides of their head like a drunk does.

The British press have been giving me six months to live for the past twenty years they must be getting p*ssed off interviewing me by now!

Written By: Tia on 01/23/09 at 12:28 pm

"We're not a drug-oriented band. Really. You can trust us."

-- david gilmour, pink floyd

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/23/09 at 8:38 pm

"We're not a drug-oriented band. Really. You can trust us."

-- david gilmour, pink floyd

"It's my wall, it's my pig, it's their dry ice."

--Roger Waters

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/27/09 at 7:39 pm

What the H-E-Double Bendy Straws inspired that pig comment? LOL.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/27/09 at 8:12 pm

What the H-E-Double Bendy Straws inspired that pig comment? LOL.

Roger Waters considers himself to be the ideas man in Pink Floyd from the departure of the late Syd Barrett (who checked into a psychiatric hospital in 1967) to the last Pink Floyd album he participated in, "The Final Cut" in 1983.  Waters left the band in 1985.  IMO, Waters was right; without him, Pink Floyd became it's own tribute band!

Anyway, "Pigs on the Wing" and "Pigs--Three Different Ones" were cuts from Floyd's 1977 "Animals" album (inspired by George Orwell's "Animal Farm," with animals used as allegory to describe different types of people--pigs, dogs, and sheep). 

Cover art for "Animals"
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s260/Fantasma_Velez/Pink_Floyd_Animals_Frontal.jpg

Floyd used the flying pig as part of their "Animals" tour stage show.  Like the wall from "The Wall" and the prism rainbow from "Dark Side of the Moon," the pig became part of Pink Floyd's symbology. 

Waters declared in 1984 that Pink Floyd was "a spent force creatively" and called for an end to the name.  David Gilmour and the other lads won the right in court to continue using the name Pink Floyd, which Waters resented as he believed the others were cashing in on his ideas on subsequent lucrative tours, hence the "pig" comment.  I'm not sure when Waters made the remark.  I think it was when Gilmour's Pink Floyd was on the "Momentary Lapse of Reason" tour in 1987.

Written By: Step-chan on 01/28/09 at 11:08 pm

Not necessarily a well known quote, but here's a favorite of mine:

Kurt Cobain:

You called me a vagina? How dare you.

(This was in response to someone from the audience calling him a p****)

Here's a link to where that happened, also explains why he used a PC term for it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3L8chGUPvg

Written By: Tia on 01/28/09 at 11:11 pm

nirvana was definitely a hell of a band back in their day, i'll give step-chan that.  8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/29/09 at 12:24 am

"Look, we don't need your f**king radio station; we've got a number 10 album and we're far to important to listen to any of your sh*t!"

--Cy Curnin, The Fixx, summer '83

(And then the entire band was thrown out!)

Written By: Step-chan on 01/29/09 at 8:41 pm

nirvana was definitely a hell of a band back in their day, i'll give step-chan that.  8)

We will patiently wait for the dinosaurs to die out, they will die and we will move into their homes. ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...