inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What are the BEST movies you've ever seen?

Written By: whistledog on 02/14/09 at 9:24 pm

I'm sure there's been a topic like this before, but who cares.  I feel like spammin' :P

So what are some of your all-time favourite movies?  And if so, why are they your favourites?

Subject: Re: What are the BEST movies you've ever seen?

Written By: snozberries on 02/14/09 at 10:08 pm

wow so many to choose....

kay- I've said it before but I need to kill time...

Dirty Dancing. I saw that movie in the theater opening night and I was feeling bad about myself because my high school friend had come home from college and I felt like a failure because I was working retail... we went to the movie and it made me feel good. I was so happy by the end I actually started clapping.  the audience, the theater was packed, joined me.  Eveytime I see that movie it makes me happy!

Grease 2. When I was in high school I used to recite that movie line for line... and act out the musical parts..... sometimes I still do  :-Full Metal Jacket. The most quotable movie ever made.

DreamGirls. cause- I don't know I just really love the flash, the style, the music, the allusion to the Supremes.

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory. Its the movie I watched over and over as a kid. Probably the first movie I saw 100 times and I still love it!

Imitation of Life. (1959) I like what director Douglas Sirk was doing in this film... his use of color and lighting to set a mood and tell a story. His play with the maternal melodrama and yet telling a very compelling story about race and youthful desires.

Superman. The first night that Superman flies through the city he helps a girl get a cat out of a tree. The girl runs into the house and tells her mom about the man who swooped out of the sky and saved the cat. The mom slaps the girl telling us that even a super hero cannot save everyone from their lives.  :\'(

Superman II. Because it's effing awesome.

Dark Knight. Because Heath Ledger is effing awesome!

Spiderman/Spidey 2. because Peter Parker is the perfect tragic figure. He puts aside the things he wants most in the world to serve others...

Escape from the Planet of the Apes. because watching the Apes try to assimilate to a human filled planet rather than the ape planet they fled is a great exercise in sociological observation.

Can't Stop the Music. Because life is just too short to not embrace this film.  ;)

Love & Basketball.  I have a great love of basketball and a greater love of love stories. This movie features both.  I really wish it were longer because I could really use some coverage from 6th grade to 12th....

Mystic Pizza, Steel Magnolias, Notting Hill, Pretty Woman. Yep I will admit I like Julia Roberts movies....some of them

Miss Congeniality, Speed, Lake House, While You Were Sleeping, The Net. Yep... I like Sandra Bullock too...

Son of Kong. Because it was so cheesy it made me laugh.

Lake Placid. Because, as I keep telling Tia, the sarcasm in that film is spot on!

Kararte Kid. cuz I don't know why I just do...

Goonies.  GOONIES!

Adventures in Babysitting. What's not to love.

Feds. Because its really underrated...or I have bad taste.... naw....it's underrated.

Lady Sings the Blues. Because that was the first movie to make an impact on me... I saw it when I was five, Had nightmares and didn't realize that the movie was the source of my nightmares until I saw the movie for a second time 9 years later.... I figure something that affected me so deeply must be important.

Tootsie. cuz its a damn fine movie.

I'm certain that's not all but that's all I got for now! 

Written By: whistledog on 02/14/09 at 10:36 pm

Night Shift (1982) - This film has many ties to Happy Days.  Directed by Ron Howard, starring Henry Winkler, a supporting role by Gina Hecht (Mork and Mindy) and featuring a cameo from Jim Staahl (Mork and Mindy)

Streets of Fire (1984) - My all time favourite movie, yet I don't know why.  The acting is terrible, but the music and action is good, and every time I watch it, I love it even more!

Something Wild (1986) - Early film in which we see Ray Liotta play what he does best:  a raging psycho path.   

Married to the Mob (1988) - The widow of a murdered gangster is being lusted after by the Mob boss who had him killed.  Believing she has answers, the DEA agent assigned to tail her gets close and ends up falling in love.  One of the funniest love triangles ever!

Vice Versa (1988) - The best of the "switcheroo" movies.  The scene where Judge Reinhold is playing the drums is awesome!

The Wizard (1989) - C'mon admit it!  Didn't you just wanna punch Lucas in the face with a Power Glove? LOL

Dick (1999) - A political satire comedy that tells the tale of two bubbly high school girls who accidentally uncover the Watergate Scandal.  Dan Hedaya as Nixon is one of the BEST portrayals of a President I've seen

The Yards (2000) - This is one of the best crime thriller's I've ever seen.  A well done (as usual) performed from James Caan

Frequency - How can one not love this movie! 

The Island (2005) - The freeway scene is one of the most spectacular ever!

The Prestige (2006) - The story of two magicians in the early 1900s who go to great lengths to learn each other's secrets.  Michael Caine in an excellent performance

Written By: whistledog on 02/14/09 at 10:41 pm

Kararte Kid. cuz I don't know why I just do...

Goonies.  GOONIES!

Adventures in Babysitting. What's not to love.

Feds. Because its really underrated...or I have bad taste.... naw....it's underrated.

I love all those movies.  I didn't think anyone else remembered Feds.  It was like a motion picture version of Cagney and Lacey. 

That scene in Adventures in Babysitting where the tire blows and Daryl starts laughing.  I can do an impression of Daryl (laughing) doing his impression of Woody Woodpecker LOL

Written By: snozberries on 02/14/09 at 10:53 pm

I love all those movies.  I didn't think anyone else remembered Feds.  It was like a motion picture version of Cagney and Lacey. 

That scene in Adventures in Babysitting where the tire blows and Daryl starts laughing.  I can do an impression of Daryl (laughing) doing his impression of Woody Woodpecker LOL

that I'd like to hear.  Yeah I posted Feds in the Forgotten 80s movie thread... I have it on Laserdisc  :) 

Aw man I should have thought of Night Shift and Streets of Fire....

that reminds me...

Last Dragon!   Its the perfect comic book movie....without a comic book!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/14/09 at 10:56 pm

Some of my favorites include:

National Lampoon's Vacation, 13 Going on 30, Dirty Dancing, Goonies, Breakfast Club, Can't Buy Me Love, Some Kind Of Wonderful, Silent Hill, Monsters, INC., Toy Story I & II, Vertigo, Flight Of The Navigator, Newsies.

Written By: whistledog on 02/14/09 at 11:01 pm

Last Dragon!   Its the perfect comic book movie....without a comic book!

That movie is super cheese.  I loved it, but when I watched it a little while ago, the love I had for it wasn't all there.  Still a classic though.  The best things about it:  'Rhythm of the Night' by DeBarge, and Vanity, wickedly sexy Canadian beauty

National Lampoon's Vacation

I love the edited version of that they broadcast on TV.  The ghetto scene:  "What d'i look like, Christopher Columbo?" ;D

Written By: snozberries on 02/14/09 at 11:02 pm

Some of my favorites include:

National Lampoon's Vacation, 13 Going on 30, Dirty Dancing, Goonies, Breakfast Club, Can't Buy Me Love, Some Kind Of Wonderful, Silent Hill, Monsters, INC., Toy Story I & II, Vertigo, Flight Of The Navigator, Newsies.

Dang... I keep forgetting so many movies...

Besides the three I highlighted... I would like to add

Bend it like Beckham
50 First Dates
Never Been Kissed.
oh an Dangerous Minds...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/14/09 at 11:03 pm

Dang... I keep forgetting so many movies...

Besides the three I highlighted... I would like to add

Bend it like Beckham
50 First Dates
Never Been Kissed.
oh an Dangerous Minds...

oh yes..Never Been Kissed is a favorite of mine too...as well as The Wedding Singer...oh, and cannot forget Grease II.  :D

Written By: snozberries on 02/14/09 at 11:04 pm

That movie is super cheese.  I loved it, but when I watched it a little while ago, the love I had for it wasn't all there.  Still a classic though.  The best things about it:  'Rhythm of the Night' by DeBarge, and Vanity, wickedly sexy Canadian beauty

I love the edited version of that they broadcast on TV.  The ghetto scene:  "What d'i look like, Christopher Columbo?" ;D

I think Last Dragon holds up for me because I do view it strictly as a comic book flick!  

I don't think I picked up on that particular edit...but then again I usually stop watching broadcast and run for the DVD.  :)

Written By: whistledog on 02/14/09 at 11:07 pm

I don't think I picked up on that particular edit...but then again I usually stop watching broadcast and run for the DVD.  :)

The first time I ever saw Vacation was on TV.  When I finally saw it on VHS, it was a totally different movie.  So many different scenes and words

Written By: gibbo on 02/15/09 at 1:17 am

Too many to list here but those that stand out off the top of my head.....

The Shawshank Redemption - I didn't go and see this movis in the theatre because the name didn't sound appealing. Big mistake..possibly my favorite.

The Sound of Music - because it is perfect and who doesn't burst into song in everyday life? I know Ash does..........

Pollyanna - fond memories from when I watched Disney each Sunday evening (all those years ago)

Casablanca - fantasic film with magical performances ...all while made on a shoe string budget!

The Godfather parts 1 and 2 - a far cry from Pollyanna but perfect films as well. At that point I had seen nothing like this subject matter.

The Untouchables - Even with Kevin Costner the film was great.

Steel Magnolias - a chick flick..I think not! Great cast delivered the right emotions........

Rear Window and North By North West - my two favotite Alfred Hitchcock films. You know when films stand the test of time when you kids are riveted to the screen.

The Third Man - love the plot and the zither played background music (The Harry Lime theme)

The Big Country - one of my favorite western genre films starring Gregory Peck, Jean Simmons and Charlton Heston.

Duel - because it is also done cheaply but still has huge suspense.

The Music Man - not the most famous of musicals ...but I had a huge crush on Shirley Jones!  ;)

and the credibility killer (as if I had any cred anyway) - Blue Hawaii - because I'm a goose who owns all of Elvis' films!  :P

Oh and I forgot.....Monty Python's Holy Grail and The Life of Brian

Written By: Red Ant on 02/15/09 at 2:50 am

The Game
Big Trouble in Little China
My Cousin Vinny
The Usual Suspects
Runaway
T2
A Clockwork Orange

Favorited because no matter how many times I've seen them, I'll watch them again and again.

signature banned as well

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/15/09 at 3:07 am

Short List (I'm sure I'll think of more later on, so I'll add them then)

Shawshank Redemption

Back to the future I, II, and III - Because they are so well written and funny and well acted and I just like them, so there!  :P

Sound of Music, A Chorus Line, Grease, Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band - Because I love cheesy musicals

Blast from the Past, Circle of Friends, Steel Magnolias, Wedding Singer, Defending Your Life - Romantic comedies are my friend

Muppet Movie, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Goonies - Because I love well-written kids movies!

Beetle Juice, Made in Heaven, What dreams may come - because visually, they're stunning!

Millions, Lola Rent, The Princess and the Warrior, House of Flying Dagger, Couching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Life is Beautiful, Leon, Amelie,  - Because I simply love foreign films with subtitles!

Written By: whistledog on 02/15/09 at 8:57 am

Runaway
signature banned as well

The one with Tom Selleck and Gene Simmons?

That ending used to scare me.  Just when you think he's dead, he briefly springs back to life LOL

Written By: NbC on 02/15/09 at 9:20 am

Some I can think of.  Why?  Just because.  ;)

Lord Of The Rings (All three)

Braveheart

Blade Runner

The Exorcist

The Green Mile

Silence of The Lamb

Road Warrior

From Dawn Til Dusk

Land Of The Dead (best zombie movie)

The Orphanage  (great ghost story)

A couple of love stories.  Usually hate them but these I like:

Somewhere In Time

Ghost

Couple of recent ones I thought were very good:

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Seven Pounds

Written By: Red Ant on 02/15/09 at 10:17 am

The one with Tom Selleck and Gene Simmons?

That ending used to scare me.  Just when you think he's dead, he briefly springs back to life LOL

Yep, that's the one. Nicole can't watch it with me though...  mechanical spiders and all.

signature banned as well

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/09 at 11:09 am

Yep, that's the one. Nicole can't watch it with me though...  mechanical spiders and all.

signature banned as well

hmmm haven't seen it

Written By: Red Ant on 02/15/09 at 11:14 am

hmmm haven't seen it

Here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d6Djog2B-c

and yes, that is Gene Simmons from KISS playing the bad guy. and yes, Kirstie Alley before she got big, in more ways than one.

signature banned as well

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/09 at 11:20 am

Here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d6Djog2B-c

and yes, that is Gene Simmons from KISS playing the bad guy. and yes, Kirstie Alley before she got big, in more ways than one.

signature banned as well

funny its a small world fact.... two of the supporting players in this film are now co-stars on The Closer...

GW Bailey played Chief of Police
Michael Paul Chan played a security guard

This sounds like a candidate for the forgotten movies of the 80s thread.  ;)  and yes- I will be netflixing it!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/15/09 at 12:22 pm

Some of my all-time favorites:

Casablanca
Trading Places
Crimes of Passion
Gone With the Wind
The Wizard of Oz
Dirty Dancing

I'm sure I will think of others later.

Cat

Written By: Big Nasty on 02/15/09 at 12:46 pm

There are many I could fit in this catagory...of course now that I am entering a reply I am also drawing a blank...
I love Gangster Movies, as well as action and comedy.

Gangster
1. Scarface
2. Goodfellas

Comedy
1. Dumb and Dumber
2. Coming to America
3. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
3. Old School

Action
1. Blackhawk Down
2. Star Wars
2. Most Jason Statham films.

I am sure there are others I would rate as tops, but like I said I am drawing a blank right now

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/17/09 at 12:11 pm

The Sound of Music - because it is perfect and who doesn't burst into song in everyday life? I know Ash does..........

:-* :-* :-*

Written By: Frank on 02/17/09 at 2:20 pm

-Man who knew too much (James Stewart)
-The Sting (Redford & Newman)
-Airplane (gotta be my fave comedy ever)
-Raiders of the lost arc (1st one)
-North by Northwest (Hitchcock)
-Singing in the rain
-Back to the future
-The sound of Music
-Godfather
-Gone with the wind
-Independance day
-Towering Inferno
-The great escape

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/17/09 at 2:43 pm

A Man For All Seasons - Because Paul Scofield is wonderful in it.
On Golden Pond
Finnian's Rainbow - Fred Astaire's dancing . . . enough said.
Life of Brian
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
The Name of the Rose
The Wizard of Oz

Written By: gibbo on 02/17/09 at 8:01 pm

:-* :-* :-*

Haha ...that took you long enough!  ;)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/17/09 at 8:05 pm

one of the BEST movies I've ever seen will probably be somewhere like 13th on my list, which I will make later. it was originally titled Twinkle Twinkle, Killer Kane, and then renamed The Ninth Configuration. starring Stacy Keach, & directed by William Blatty. 

Written By: loki 13 on 02/17/09 at 8:41 pm

12 Angry men (1957)

The Hustler (1961)

Days Of Wine And Roses (1962)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/17/09 at 9:08 pm

The Game
Big Trouble in Little China
My Cousin Vinny
The Usual Suspects
Runaway
T2
A Clockwork Orange

Favorited because no matter how many times I've seen them, I'll watch them again and again.

signature banned as well

The Game and the Usual Suspects are fabulous movies. 

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/17/09 at 9:27 pm

Ok, here goes...

The Shawshank Redemption - It's one that, if I'm flipping through channels, and I see that it's on, I will sit and watch the entire thing, no matter what else I have to do and in spite of the fact that I own it on DVD.  I can't count how many times I've seen it.  I just love the characters - obviously Tim Robbins as Andy Dufresne and Morgan Freeman as Red, but mostly I just love the message of the movie - hope. 

Waiting For Guffman - I think that people either like Christopher Guest movies or they don't.  And I love them.  This movie is just so silly...so stupid...so undignified.  It's about a small town's anniversary theatre production...and the raving lunatics that put it all together.  It's just asinine.  And great.

Empire of the Sun - This is the movie I watch when I need to cry, because I sob my guts out every time I see it.  It's basically a story of how much the human spirit can endure...and endure...and continue to endure.

Steel Magnolias - another sobfest, a love letter to mothers and daughters, and all of the beautiful and wonderful women we meet along the way.  Love it. 

Hairspray - the new one - This movie just makes me happy.  Perhaps because I can relate just a little too much to Tracy...or because I love the singing and dancing...or because my favorite actress Queen Latifah brings the house down in it.  All I know, is that I LOVE this movie.

The Birdcage - Just because it's so damn funny.

An Affair to Remember - I think that one of the reasons I love this movie is because it was my mom's favorite.  Another reason is because Deborah Kerr reminds me a lot of my mom.  I also love Carey Grant.  Lastly though, I think it's just a damn good sappy romance...and at the end of the day, we all need a little romance

American Beauty - I love Kevin Spacey's character in this movie, and the way he just lets go of his "normal" life, and goes back to everything that makes him happy.  I love seeing the evolution take place in him.  And my favorite line from the movie, when his wife gets mad at him for spilling beer on the couch is "it's just stuff."  I say that about once a week, I swear.  Plus it's just a gorgeous, weird, disturbing, but wonderful movie.

I have so many others that I love - Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Mamma Mia, The Sound of Music - the list could go on forever.  But I think these are my main ones.

Written By: snozberries on 02/19/09 at 12:19 am

one of the BEST movies I've ever seen will probably be somewhere like 13th on my list, which I will make later. it was originally titled Twinkle Twinkle, Killer Kane, and then renamed The Ninth Configuration. starring Stacy Keach, & directed by William Blatty. 

what is this foreign language you are speaking? 

seriously tho...never heard of it!

Written By: snozberries on 02/19/09 at 12:20 am

Ok, here goes...

The Shawshank Redemption - It's one that, if I'm flipping through channels, and I see that it's on, I will sit and watch the entire thing, no matter what else I have to do and in spite of the fact that I own it on DVD.  I can't count how many times I've seen it.  I just love the characters - obviously Tim Robbins as Andy Dufresne and Morgan Freeman as Red, but mostly I just love the message of the movie - hope.   

Waiting For Guffman - I think that people either like Christopher Guest movies or they don't.  And I love them.  This movie is just so silly...so stupid...so undignified.  It's about a small town's anniversary theatre production...and the raving lunatics that put it all together.  It's just asinine.  And great.

Empire of the Sun - This is the movie I watch when I need to cry, because I sob my guts out every time I see it.  It's basically a story of how much the human spirit can endure...and endure...and continue to endure.

Steel Magnolias - another sobfest, a love letter to mothers and daughters, and all of the beautiful and wonderful women we meet along the way.  Love it. 

Hairspray - the new one - This movie just makes me happy.  Perhaps because I can relate just a little too much to Tracy...or because I love the singing and dancing...or because my favorite actress Queen Latifah brings the house down in it.  All I know, is that I LOVE this movie.

The Birdcage - Just because it's so damn funny.

An Affair to Remember - I think that one of the reasons I love this movie is because it was my mom's favorite.  Another reason is because Deborah Kerr reminds me a lot of my mom.  I also love Carey Grant.  Lastly though, I think it's just a damn good sappy romance...and at the end of the day, we all need a little romance

American Beauty - I love Kevin Spacey's character in this movie, and the way he just lets go of his "normal" life, and goes back to everything that makes him happy.  I love seeing the evolution take place in him.  And my favorite line from the movie, when his wife gets mad at him for spilling beer on the couch is "it's just stuff."  I say that about once a week, I swear.  Plus it's just a gorgeous, weird, disturbing, but wonderful movie.

I have so many others that I love - Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Mamma Mia, The Sound of Music - the list could go on forever.  But I think these are my main ones.

oh man I love the new Hairspray tooo....

Check for new replies or respond here...