inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why Aren't You Dead? (Stupid Stunt Thread)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 02/15/09 at 6:30 pm

Hi Eveyone!  ;D

I know that at some point in everyone's lives they've had the decision to do something silly and the feeling got the best of them. And it resulted in you pulling some stupid stunt that resulted in something being broken--including you--or a trip to the local Emergency Room.

I was wondering, if anyone would like to share what the daredevil in them made them do.

And to be fair, here's some of my stunts. LOL.

--When I was 7, I folowed my cousins into thier bedroom, which had 2 bunk beds and joined them in jumping back and forth from the top bunks. I nearly strangled myself when the back of my shirt got caught on one of the bed posts and I was dangling 6 feet in the air.

--When I was 8, i disobeyed my mother when she told me not to get on a merry go round. I got on it and got tossed off and against a BRICK WALL and landed in the ER.

--In the same year, I was playing wth a stray cat and it scratched my right wrist, leaving a scar. I always wear a bracelet or a watch on my wrist because I got tired of people asking me if I tried to slit my writs!  >:(

--When I was 10, I nearly set my house on fire when I tried to put out a flame by "smothering" it with a cotton towel.

--When I was 11, I got thrown in detention for a week for standing at the top of the risers during a PE class--that wasn't even mine--and declaring that Michael Jackson was the King of Pop (on a dare, it wasn't my idea).  ::) I got in trouble ALOT for him. LOL.

That's a few of my gems. Please share everyone. And I have PLENTY more where that came from.

Subject: Re: Why Aren't You Dead? (Stupid Stunt Thread)

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/09 at 6:36 pm

fascinating stories Tif...

I once rode a bike with no hands and thought if i closed my eyes it would feel like I was flying.. I flew alright- right over the parked car I slammed into.

I also nearly started a fire when I lit a cotton swab with a blue plastic stick because I thought the pretty blue stick would glow instead of burn...well it didn't really burn either- it melted fortunately it fell on my leg instead of the clothes in the closet I was hiding in- sure I got burned but the house didn't catch fire.

I have more but I will wait till later.  to share them

Written By: apollonia1986 on 02/15/09 at 8:56 pm

Wow Snoz,

That was pretty heavy duty, flying over the car. I'm glad you're okay! Gosh!

I've noticed something. Alot of the time, most of my mishaps came from me NOT LISTENING to my mother when she'd tell me to do something. I don't mind sharing the stories because they're funny. LOL.

--I've managed to knock the nail of the big toe on my right foot off two times. Once when I was three and again when I was six. (I has since grown back) The first time, I was in the living room of my old home and my mother had a shevling unit on which she stored her whatnots--including three brass animals--a unicorn, a beetle and an owl. Mom told me to leave them alone because they were heavy. I knocked the owl off onto the floor and off came my toe nail and I was screaming bloody murder.
--When I was six, in the winter, I had a very large heater in my room to keep myself warm at night and I was told to leave it alone and not climb on it. As soon as Mom went to the kitchen, I climbed on it and started throwing Barbies off it. When all my Barbies were "dead" I started to climb off, my foot slipped and off came my toenail again!

Now THIS really should have KILLED ME:

--Earlier in 1992, right before I turned six, I had a really bad accident. In my old bedroom, I had a tall chest of drawers where most of my play clothes were kept and on top of it were about 30 little Disney themed books. And normally to reach the top and books, I would else have to climb on a chair or get an adult to get a book for me. Now my mother had just left to get me a happy meal at McDonalds--a few blocks away-- and my father was across town helping a friend work on his church. Now I wasn't alone. I was with my grandmother, who was a few room away watch tv in her wheel chair. (the poor dear was paralyzed from the waist down) I wanted a book and too damn lazy to go into the kitchen for a chair, so I decided to pull out the drawers, in a step style and started to climb...

Halfway up, the entire chest of drawers and books fell back on me and i was caught under the drawers pinned against the floor and books were hitting me all in my little face. I screamed for my grandmother, and then it dawned on me that she couldn't walk in there like my mother could. And I wasn't really hurt, just a little winded. But to a 5 year old, an overturned bureau and books all over the floor was a nightmare and I think I was more afraid of my mother being upset with me than actually worried about the books. Somehow by the grace of god--if I'm lying, I hope Michael Jackson never has a hit again--I managed to push the bureau off me and had picked everything up by the time my mom came back home and was watching cartoons, quietly. LOL.

Mom flipped out years later when I told her about it. LOL.

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/09 at 10:11 pm

wow that chest story is something else....

and you're right... we always find out too late that mom's really do know best.

When I was in high school I was driving in the country side and took a corner to sharp (too fast really)  I took it on two wheels I totally should have flipped the car but I'm glad I didn't!

Another time I was driving with a friend- we were on a road I'd never driven before and I couldn't see a damn thing... the next thing I knew I heard thump thump thump under my car... at some point the road ended and I was driving through over someones field...  it was Salinas so I probably killed several hundred heads of lettuce!  ;D

I'd stand in the back of my friends pick up and try to "surf"  ::) 

Written By: Dagwood on 02/16/09 at 9:30 am

and you're right... we always find out too late that mom's really do know best.

Could someone tell my kid this? ;D

When I was a kid we used to play on the neighbors roof.  Every day for a summer we were either as high in my tree as we could go or on his roof.  His mom worked so no one was home but him.  When she found out, she flipped.  We both ended up grounded for a long time.

Written By: Frank on 02/16/09 at 2:49 pm

Great thread!

-Once we were playing baseball in my bedroom and I dove into 2nd base (my bed) but slid way too far and into the closet doors and then through the closet doors and the doors fell on my bed and I ended up inside the closet.

-In winter, my schoolmates and I used to play tackle football...on ice...yes on ice...Many of us ended up with bruises, headaches, 2 guys got broken arms. I had my head smashed on the ice once and got a cut (my wife says that explains a lot about me..lol)  :)

-In wintertime again, we'd climb up the snowdrifts to the roof of a friend's house and jump off and land in the snow (sometimes 5 feet high, it was hard getting out)

Again during wintertime, we'd try to be like Bobby Orr and dive on the ice (like Bobby did in the NHL 1970 cup finals) after we scored a goal. Quite painful

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/16/09 at 4:09 pm

I've been hit by a car on two separate occasions.  One time I was bumped and landed in a ditch.  The other time the bitch was a hit and run and messed up my leg.

When I was three I tore a coloring book to pieces shoved some of it in my mouth turned blue and black out.

I've overdosed on a medicine I was taking.  Came way too close to the brink that time.

Written By: loki 13 on 02/16/09 at 5:39 pm

Evel Knievel was quite popular when I was a kid so naturally every kid in the neighborhood wanted to be like him.
The first thing I did when I received my new bike was remove the brakes. I didn't want to be accidentally hitting
the brakes when I landed after jumping a wooden ramp. One day, I was halfway up the ramp when the plank
snapped in half. Witnesses said I did a complete flip in the air before landing on my head, I don't remember any
of it. I do remember waking up a screaming for someone to get the freaking bike off of me.

On a similar note, jumping a ramp wasn't fun unless you were jumping something. We would frequently use kids as
obstacles for jumping, and yes I was also one of the kids stupid enough to lie on the ground while another idiot
jumped over me.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 02/16/09 at 10:08 pm

Gosh y'all!

Those are some doozies of stunts there! Wow!

Now many of you know that I am a big Michael Jackson fan and I am no stranger injuring myself trying to imitate him.

--In 1995 at the age of 9, I had just started getting into MJ and watching his videos and was really transfixed by the end of Black or White where Michael essentially goes on a rampage and busts up a car. As soon as the video went off, I went through my house--past my mother who was making burgers in the kitchen--and out to her car. Unable to find a crowbar, I tossed little branchesd at the windows, pretending to smash them. And then like Michael, I climbed on top of the car and proceeded to dance around, Unlike Michael, I lost my balance and fell off onto the pavement, winding myself. The only witness to the fall was my terrier Scratch and I swear that dog barked a laugh at me!

--Two years later, I was sitting on the bleachers in the gym in my school and was explaining a dance effect Michael used to a friend. (on tour Michael would pop up and out the stage during a concert) And for some reason, my friend didn't seem to understand he popped from under the stage, so I stood on the bleachers and jumped up and out, flying a good 6 feet before hitting the hardwood floor. That REALLY hurt.  >:(

--Four years later, I knocked the hell outta myself in my high school gym. In the gym there was a staircase leading to the coach's office and I was on them with another friend discussingf yet another MJ concerty effect (how he walked down a lighted staircase on tour) We were talking about how he rolled when he got burned in the Pepsi accident. I have no clue why i decided to demonstrate to roll on CONCRETE steps. I rolled down three steps before I realized I was hurting myself and I bounched down 9 more before I came to a stop in tears on the floor.

LOL. Just wanted to share that.

Remarkable I'm still kicking right?

Here's one more from Tiffie history.

This occoured in 1992--I dunno why I seemed to be trying to end it all in 92, but this should have killed me.

My father is a carpenter. That's his job. And in the summer while my mother worked as a chef at the local country club, I tagged along with my dad to his work sites and played with dolls as he worked. So that summer, my father was helping his friend, who is a preacher, build a day care center on to his church. Now for most of the day, I had been in my father's work van playing with dolls and eating candy and he worked. His friend was in town buying more lumber.
At that point in time, my father was installing a wall that had two opening for windows cut out of it. Now all I had to do was stay in the car, behave and I'd get a Happy Mean that evening and a new Barbie on the weekend. That was the deal.
For some reason, I wandered out of the car, left my dolls and went over to the work area. My dad was nearby sawing a piece of wood.  He noticed me and told me not to touch anything and get back in the van. I did.
About 15 minutes later, I was back over and messing with the damn wall again. Somehouw, I knocked over a support and the entire side of the bulding fell! My father had a fit and screamed like a 12 year old girl because he was sure I'd been crushed to death right before his eyes!
But wonder of wonders, I had been standing in the safest place possible, the window opening passed over me and I was untouched! LOL!
My father scooped me up and yelled at me and stuck me in the van, but was happy I was alright. LOL.

Written By: Frank on 02/17/09 at 2:31 pm

Evel Knievel was quite popular when I was a kid so naturally every kid in the neighborhood wanted to be like him.
The first thing I did when I received my new bike was remove the brakes. I didn't want to be accidentally hitting
the brakes when I landed after jumping a wooden ramp. One day, I was halfway up the ramp when the plank
snapped in half. Witnesses said I did a complete flip in the air before landing on my head, I don't remember any
of it. I do remember waking up a screaming for someone to get the freaking bike off of me.

On a similar note, jumping a ramp wasn't fun unless you were jumping something. We would frequently use kids as
obstacles for jumping, and yes I was also one of the kids stupid enough to lie on the ground while another idiot
jumped over me.

Yeh, Evel Knievel was really popular back then and many kids treid doing bike tricks. Not me tho, but I remember being one of those kids lying on the ground. No one (or nothing) ever landed on me. I got off lucky. One kid had a bike land of his stomach, we had to help him home...and of course, we continued doing stunts 10 minutes later.

Written By: karen on 02/17/09 at 3:46 pm

Yeh, Evel Knievel was really popular back then and many kids treid doing bike tricks. Not me tho, but I remember being one of those kids lying on the ground. No one (or nothing) ever landed on me. I got off lucky. One kid had a bike land of his stomach, we had to help him home...and of course, we continued doing stunts 10 minutes later.

Somewhere in my parents house is a photograph of me and about 5 other kids lying on our stomachs giving the thumbs up whilst my brother is jumping over us.  The bike wheels are just visible in the photo.

I can't think of any dangerous stunts I did as a kid.  I was too much of a wimp (still am for that matter)

Written By: Davester on 02/17/09 at 5:20 pm

My excruciatingly painful road rash from a bad bicycle accident I had in the summer of 1985.  I was coasting down a steep grade, holding the handlebar with one hand and a popcycle with the other.  I hit a manhole cover which flipped the front wheel sideways and I went flying over the handlebars, landed on my stomach and slid on the pavement, my bike landing on top of me.  The skin on the back of my right hand and right forearm were hamburger and the skin on my chin was peeled back.  Really should've had stitches but didn't even go to the doctor.  Still have the scar...

My sh*t hurt so bad I couldn't sleep for a week...

I used to pick up odd jobs while delivering my paper route.  Someone would meet me coming by and ask me if I liked money and, if so, could I help them do this or that.  So, when I crashed I had already finished my route and was heading down to do one of these odd jobs - probably watering the yard of a retired couple who were going on vacation for a few weeks.  The twenty bucks I made from that gig was small consolation...

So my partner, John, is about a half block in front of me.  He looks back and sees me kissing the pavement.  He comes back and helps me walk to someone's driveway.  I lay down and he finds a nearby garden hose and brings it over so I can drink.  At this point my head is spinning and I'm close to throwing-up.  I really thought I was going to die...

It was probably July or August when that happened.  It was only ten or eleven in the morning and it was already HOT outside, that's why the popcycle.  If I'd been holding the handlebars with both hands that wouldn't have happened.  Actually, I blame God for that...

Written By: Tia on 02/17/09 at 5:27 pm

once i got drunk enough i broke into a church and then ran around on the third-story roof, delighted i had conquered my fear of heights. i'd totally run up to the edge (no handrail or anything) and yell out to my friend on the ground, "i've conquered all my fears!" every time i think back on that i shudder. by all rights i should have ended up in traction or dead.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/18/09 at 12:21 am

I did all kinds of crazy stuff on my bike and playing with fire.  I could have done some nasty permanent damage to myself, but I managed to land on soft ground and put the flames out just in time, so....

Oh, and I fell a frightfully long way down out of a big tree when I was ten.  I had only a few cuts and bruises.  If the same sh*t happened today, I'd be in splints, on pain killers, and doing physical therapy for months!  Yeah, well, I don't climb way TF up in tall trees nowadays either!
:o

Written By: apollonia1986 on 02/18/09 at 1:26 pm

Gosh Y'all! Those are some bad accidents. I'm glad that you're all okay.  :o

I had a mishap on a bicycle once, but thankfully I didn't get hurt too badly.  ::) This happened the summer of 1994 when I was 8. Once again, I was stuck with my dad as he did carpenter work for a friend at his house, I think they were building a tool shed or something. Anyway, it was a saturday morning and I was supposed to be in the house with the man's four kids eating baloney sandwhiches and watching American Gladiators on the tv. I didn't like AG. It was big men who llooked like Ken dolls beating each other with oversized Q-Tips.

So out of boredom I wandered outside. Nobody minded. The oldest kid was 13 and tying up the telephone gossiping. My father and the kid's father were WAAAAAY in the back of the house hammering and sawing and talking. Not noticing me. So I wandered around the house and there is was. The oldest sons ( a 12 year old) shiny black BMX bike. I had been eyeing the bike for a week, just wanting to touch it. It was beautful with silver chrome detailing. It made me think of Prince's bike from Purple Rain. Just a cool bike.  I had to sit on it.

Now know this. I CANNOT ride a bicycle. I never owned a bike and I never learned to ride one. I will topple over on one now if I had one. But I pulled the bike off the side of the house and threw all 80 pounds of me on it. What I didn't realize was that the man's house was perched on top of a hill and as soon as iI pulled my feel off the ground to test out the pedals, I went hurling down the slope! It all happened so fast, I didn't even get to scream. The only way I stopped was when I crashed into the back fence. . I left the bike there and ran back into the house.  :o

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/18/09 at 1:49 pm

I'm pretty much a wimp. ;D I haven't had anything close to what you guys have done.

The most actually injured I was (although it wasn't a stunt) was when I tripped down the stairs when I was 4 and got 13 stitches - the scar is still on my forehead if anyone noticed.

I didn't get hurt doing it, but I occasionally did a few stupid things. Like when I was 11 I was on the down escalator at the mall and noticed some cute girls (they were like 15 or 16) so I tried to slide down on the railing like Bart Simpson, hoping they'd notice or something. I probably just looked like a clumsy kid 'cause they kinda snickered and walked off. ;)

Written By: Frank on 02/18/09 at 2:14 pm

..and probably most of us as kids who were around in the 70's or before that climbed from the front seat to the back seat of a car several times while it was going at 70MPH, 

Now they'd arrest our parents for allowing us to do that.

Written By: snozberries on 02/18/09 at 5:24 pm

I've been hit by a car on two separate occasions.  One time I was bumped and landed in a ditch.  The other time the bitch was a hit and run and messed up my leg.

When I was three I tore a coloring book to pieces shoved some of it in my mouth turned blue and black out.

I've overdosed on a medicine I was taking.  Came way too close to the brink that time.

damn! glad you're here to post with us!

Written By: snozberries on 02/18/09 at 5:28 pm

Somewhere in my parents house is a photograph of me and about 5 other kids lying on our stomachs giving the thumbs up whilst my brother is jumping over us.  The bike wheels are just visible in the photo.

I can't think of any dangerous stunts I did as a kid.  I was too much of a wimp (still am for that matter)

I once got on a skateboard and tried to ride it down a hill... I'd never been a skateboard before... I was lucky to have made in one piece.

and once I put on roller blades and let my dogs pull me...the dogs took of running- and I started freaking out because I wasn't that good on the things to begin with! I let go and aimed for the grass because I was afraid I was going to crash on the sidewalk.

Written By: snozberries on 02/18/09 at 5:50 pm

John Heffron! @ 1:22 funny stuff  ;D

Written By: apollonia1986 on 02/18/09 at 9:11 pm

Wow... :o

I remember a stupid stunt a friend of mine pulled in church and I had to ask him if I could share it here. (He said yes). This happened a few years ago. My friend and I were in the children's choir with the oher kids in church rehearsing our songs. my friend was in the last row of the choir stands and behind the last row is a  low glass divider  and about a 7 foot drop into the baptismal pool. During a break, my friend was playing with a yo-yo and  it flew over the divider into the water in the baptismal pool. Rather than going to get an adult, or find the preacher to fish it out, this fool tried to CLIMB over the glass.

Of course he lost his balance, fell in and was floppig and screaming cause he couldn't swim. Most of us ran and got an adult who pulled him out and saved him.

Wicked.

(Plus they had to drain, refill and rebless the water LOL)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/19/09 at 1:45 am

..and probably most of us as kids who were around in the 70's or before that climbed from the front seat to the back seat of a car several times while it was going at 70MPH,   

No sh*t!  I remember DOING just that!

"No, no, I said let your sister ride in front..."
"But ma.."
"Shut up or nobody's gonna ride in front!"
"Okay, okay...

:D

Written By: Davester on 02/21/09 at 5:10 pm

Oh yeah, did that.  And also rode in an open pickup bed on the freeway...

Check for new replies or respond here...