inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Books you are reading / have read.

Written By: Tam on 03/03/09 at 10:32 pm

I suppose this could be a More Than A Decade thread, but recently I have been focused on Sci-Fi natured books.

Y'all know that The Son turned me on to Twilight, and since I have read several amazing books.

The Host - was an awesome book. I had a hard time trying to get to reading it, because I was afraid it was too Sci-Fi for me. Turns out it wasn't.

I have also recently read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. The plot is very similar to a Stephen King novel. It is apparently the first book in a series. It was a great read but her editors need to refresh their skills.

I have also recently read The Five People You Meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom. Not at all what I expected. It is an awesome book for sure.

I am waiting the arrival of a new book tomorrow. It is called Graceling. Apparently Sci-Fi again. See where my reading is taking me? LOL

Tonight though, I started reading another of The Son's books. It is called GONE by Michael Grant. Again, it is of the Sci-Fi genre, but rings of inspiration from Lord of the Flies. I haven't been able to put it down, expect to write this or take the dog outside. I am drawn by how quick the story took off as well. No boring, slow introductions... it immediately started. Thank you very much. I am loving it, and addicted yet again!

I have many more books I could tell about, but I will hold off on that for a bit. For now - what books have you read recently?

Subject: Re: Books you are reading / have read.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/04/09 at 5:13 pm

Tam, you should join Goodreads! 

http://www.goodreads.com/

It's a pretty cool site - it lets you compare books with people you know, write reviews, and find new books to read.  I highly reccommend it to anyone that loves to read!

Written By: coqueta83 on 03/04/09 at 7:44 pm

I'm currently reading "Paris To the Moon" by Adam Gopnik. It's a collection of essays about the author's experiences in Paris, where he lived for five years.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/05/09 at 6:53 am

I always have a couple of books going at once, right now

Decisive Battles of the Civil War Joseph M. Mitchell

One Mans Meat, A personal record of life on a Maine coast salt water farm  E.B. White

A County in Revolution, Essex County at the Dawning of Independence R.N. Tagney

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/05/09 at 10:11 am

I'm reading "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time" by Mark Haddon.  It's narrated by an autistic boy who finds the body of his neighbor's dog and tries to find out who murdered it.  Along the way, he uncovers a couple of other mysteries.  The book is very fascinating.  I love that everything is from his point of view, and you get to see things the way he does.  I personally have two autistic people in my life - my nephew, and a friend - so I kind of take Christopher - the main character - to heart. 

I'm also reading "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen.  I've read P and P before - and I'm reading it a second time just because I don't remember everything.  Sadly, I'm not enjoying it as much as I thought I would.  It is taking me forever to get through.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/05/09 at 11:08 am

My son is autistic and I found that book very inciteful.  Mark Haddon worked with people with autism and seems to have hit the nail on the head with understanding.

Written By: Tam on 03/05/09 at 9:56 pm

Tam, you should join Goodreads! 

http://www.goodreads.com/

It's a pretty cool site - it lets you compare books with people you know, write reviews, and find new books to read.  I highly reccommend it to anyone that loves to read!

Thanks Ash!
I am definitely going to check it out - although I only really have enough time for ONE website! ;) 8)

Written By: Tam on 03/05/09 at 9:58 pm

Everyone's reads sound great!

I finished Gone, but now I am trying to get through Stephen King's Just After Sunset.
I have been trying to read it since I received it at Christmas, but his writing style has changed so much that I am finding it hard to follow at times. And the short stories don't draw me in as so many of his other works have. I would hate to say it, but it almost feels like Stephen has lost a bit of his touch... :(

Written By: Davester on 03/06/09 at 6:15 am

Recently, some Red Sonja graphic novels.  Variations of half naked warrior woman cutting heads off of horses stories...

Written By: Dagwood on 03/06/09 at 9:25 pm

Currently I am reading The Carrot Cake Murder by Joanne Fluke.  It is part of her Hannah Swensen series.  I like the light, mysteries that don't take much concentration to read.  I think it is about time to pull out The Stand again, though.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/07/09 at 6:00 am

Currently I am reading The Carrot Cake Murder by Joanne Fluke.  It is part of her Hannah Swensen series.  I like the light, mysteries that don't take much concentration to read.  I think it is about time to pull out The Stand again, though.

You should try the Agatha Raisin series by M C Beaton.  I got hooked on them, and then my sister, then my neighbor.

Written By: Dagwood on 03/07/09 at 7:17 pm

You should try the Agatha Raisin series by M C Beaton.  I got hooked on them, and then my sister, then my neighbor.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I am always on the lookout for new reading material. :)

Written By: statsqueen on 03/09/09 at 8:31 pm

I always look forward to recommending my favorite series to people:

The Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon

It's a little sci-fi in that there is time travel involved, it is also romantic, and while liberties have been taken, a little historical.  My favorite part (besides the love story part) is that it takes place in the Scottish highlands and they even throw in some Gaelic (not too much, not like you need a translator).

I also enjoyed Trinity by Leon Uris, own most of Terry McMillan's books (author of How Stella Got Her Groove Back, which is on my mandatory summer reading list) and enjoy Maeve Binchy's books.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/09/09 at 10:31 pm

I have also recently read The Five People You Meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom. Not at all what I expected. It is an awesome book for sure.

I read that awhile ago...I really loved it.  The made-for-tv movie that was made from it was not nearly as good!

Some others I've read:

Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold  - a little draggy in a few spots but overall a good read.  I think it's supposed to be made into a movie soon too...

Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas by James Patterson was a good read

I like to read/look thru Children's books - One I really loved was The Rainbow Goblins by Ul De Rico.  It's truly a treasure.

Written By: Fairee07 on 03/10/09 at 11:16 pm

Jane Austen's Emma  :P

I find it too frilly and wordy for my taste but whenever I start a book, I feel obligated to finish it.

Written By: Bobo on 03/10/09 at 11:18 pm

The most recent book I read? Horton Hears a Who. Literally the best book I've read all year.

I've been getting into biographies lately. I've made my way through No-One Here Gets Out Alive - a Jim Morrison biography - and Keith Jarrett - a life in music.

I can't read normal-person books. No attention span. :D

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/11/09 at 2:08 am

Atlas Shrugged, again.  Frightening thing is that I'm not alone.

Yeah, Rand desperately needed an editor.  Doesn't mean she was wrong about what happens when the only "business" left is "begging for handouts from the government", because everyone who actually produced anything has quit in disgust.

When the politicians, the lobbyists, and their clients finally implode... then the blacksmiths, farmers, and mechanics will inherit the earth.  Who is John Galt?  John Galt is an auto parts manufacturer in Ohio, telling GM that he will not lobby for bailouts.  John Galt is in Sacramento, on a chunk of land along a river, planting gardens, doing basic carpentry, and preaching the virtues of mosquito control, in exchange for a sandwich.

(Homework assignment!  Using Google Maps, the pictures of the Sacramento tent city that show two electric transmission towers, a large river, a low-lying building lined up against a few larger buildings in the background a few miles away, and see if you can figure out exactly where those pictures were taken!  For extra credit, once a week, take one news story featuring footage/photography of an incident - even something as mundane as a car crash - in an undefined location, and using nothing more than the pictures/video and internet connectivity, see if you can figure out exactly where the pictures were taken.  This may become a useful/marketable survival skill (assuming society collapses but the Intarweb survives!), but more importantly, it's fun!)

Written By: danootaandme on 03/11/09 at 5:54 am

Kristin Lavransdatter:The Bridal Wreath - Sigrid Undset

Life of a woman in 14th Century Norway.  Nobel Prize winner.  Has a hold on me. The things you find in the used book store  :)

Written By: seamermar on 03/11/09 at 2:11 pm

I always look forward to recommending my favorite series to people:

My favorite part (besides the love story part) is that it takes place in the Scottish highlands and they even throw in some Gaelic (not too much, not like you need a translator).

I'm not surprise you are for "the land where fancy is free"  ;)

I'm thinking of taking a flight to Emerald Isle  ::)

About my currently reading, "The Education of Little Tree" by Forrest Carter.

The worse thing is I have to read it in Spanish version, what it means I'll learn it a bit different I guess  :-\\

Written By: statsqueen on 03/12/09 at 11:02 am

I'm not surprise you are for "the land where fancy is free"  ;)

I'm thinking of taking a flight to Emerald Isle  ::)

About my currently reading, "The Education of Little Tree" by Forrest Carter.

The worse thing is I have to read it in Spanish version, what it means I'll lean it a bit different I guess  :-\\

Oh, Paco,  I am so flattered that you are quoting lines from them!!!  Thank you for showing such an interest in my Celtic music!  If you go, take lots of pictures for me, ok?  What is the book you are reading about?

Written By: danootaandme on 03/12/09 at 11:06 am

Oh, Paco,  I am so flattered that you are quoting lines from them!!!  Thank you for showing such an interest in my Celtic music!  If you go, take lots of pictures for me, ok?  What is the book you are reading about?

I love Celtic music.  But can someone tell me why anyone would pay any time or money to see "Celtic Women" and "Celtic Thunder"  They are the worst examples of the genre I have ever heard.  The description that comes to mind is antisceptic.  The sterilize the heart and soul of the songs they are singing.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/12/09 at 11:36 am

To re-kindle interest in history, I am reading The Tudors by Richard Rex. Described by David Starkey as "The best induction to England's most important dynasty".

Written By: Tia on 03/12/09 at 12:19 pm

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Books/Pix/pictures/2008/08/28/CheetaCOVER.jpg

i just started it but so far it's pretty cool

Written By: statsqueen on 03/12/09 at 12:51 pm

I love Celtic music.  But can someone tell me why anyone would pay any time or money to see "Celtic Women" and "Celtic Thunder"  They are the worst examples of the genre I have ever heard.  The description that comes to mind is antisceptic.  The sterilize the heart and soul of the songs they are singing.

I am so sorry you feel that way.  I think Celtic Thunder is amazing.  I have their DVD and CDs.  I almost had the opportunity to see them live as they were only an hour from me, but it was during Homecoming so I couldn't make it.  They give me chills.  I like Celtic Woman, too, but admit to not having their stuff.  I do like their version of Orinoco Flow, but prefer Enya's.

Who do you prefer?  Great Big Sea, Whirligig, Runrig, Enya, Battlefield Band, Tannahill Weavers, Susan McKeown......?

Written By: Tam on 03/12/09 at 12:56 pm

Great Big Sea

Wow! I have never heard too many Americans actually recognize this group! Awesome Aim! Karma +1 8)

Written By: Tia on 03/12/09 at 3:03 pm

Atlas Shrugged, again.  Frightening thing is that I'm not alone.

Yeah, Rand desperately needed an editor.  Doesn't mean she was wrong about what happens when the only "business" left is "begging for handouts from the government", because everyone who actually produced anything has quit in disgust.

When the politicians, the lobbyists, and their clients finally implode... then the blacksmiths, farmers, and mechanics will inherit the earth.  Who is John Galt?  John Galt is an auto parts manufacturer in Ohio, telling GM that he will not lobby for bailouts.  John Galt is in Sacramento, on a chunk of land along a river, planting gardens, doing basic carpentry, and preaching the virtues of mosquito control, in exchange for a sandwich.

actually, i'm not sure john galt isn't under indictment or presiding over multibillion-dollar losses at the moment.

or maybe john galt has relocated his operations in china and put his earnings in offshore tax havens. or maybe john galt is using impoverished sweatshop workers to manufacture substandard and unsafe children's toys for export, then turning around and saying he doesn't' need poor people.

anyway, if the current CEO titans of industry were to go on strike and go form their little randian island paradise i say more power to em. we need em about as much as we need bernie madoff.

they were talking about rand on the colbert report today. i remember there was an atlas shrugged fad a few years ago, too, back during the clinton years. i was wondering what all the hooha was all about so i picked it up and read it, and one morning on the metro i got embarrassed to notice that literally four or five other people on the car were reading it too.

every time a democrat gets elected president, it seems, everyone suddenly rediscovers atlas shrugged again.

Written By: Tia on 03/12/09 at 3:11 pm

i sorta like that letter, though, except for the union-bashing stuff.

Written By: statsqueen on 03/12/09 at 10:11 pm

Wow! I have never heard too many Americans actually recognize this group! Awesome Aim! Karma +1 8)

Thanks, Tam.  They are actually one of my favorite bands (Micah's, too).  I love their Road Rage CD because it was recorded at live concerts all over Canada.  M's fave song is "The Night Pat Murphy Died" (don't judge by the title!) and I have too many faves to name.  Most of the songs are also on my iPod.

Written By: seamermar on 03/13/09 at 3:47 am

The night Paddy Murphy died is a song I'll never forget,  ;)
I try to imagine such a vigil and burial in a strongly catholic country, and frankly it makes me laugh a lot.
I admit I got caught up by Great Big Sea , and Celtic Thunder from the first tune,

Sorry if I sound so simple, but you can't fight fate. Sailors, dogs and rum are some things you should not get mixed up  :P

Sorry, it was not my will just flattering you Statsqueen  :-[. I'm just as a kid in a new world searching and finding out some new things every day and when I listened to those groups I liked what they sing and their music, that's all.

Little tree is just the boy any father would like having as a son. A wide eyed kid staring at  world with curiosity and respect. Loving his elders and, most important thing, listening to them.
Reading those pages one wants to be a savage in the wild, learning the rules of mother nature.
I really think we have lost our roots, lost the link with our ancestors, and lost the harmony with nature to which we belong.

The book is short but the message is clear.

No future without nature.  No progress without thirst for knowledge.

That was my little say.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/13/09 at 5:40 am

I am so sorry you feel that way.  I think Celtic Thunder is amazing.  I have their DVD and CDs.  I almost had the opportunity to see them live as they were only an hour from me, but it was during Homecoming so I couldn't make it.  They give me chills.  I like Celtic Woman, too, but admit to not having their stuff.  I do like their version of Orinoco Flow, but prefer Enya's.

Who do you prefer?  Great Big Sea, Whirligig, Runrig, Enya, Battlefield Band, Tannahill Weavers, Susan McKeown......?

Wolfe Tones, Clancy Brothers, Clannad, Irish Rovers

Written By: statsqueen on 03/13/09 at 11:34 am

The night Paddy Murphy died is a song I'll never forget,  ;)
I try to imagine such a vigil and burial in a strongly catholic country, and frankly it makes me laugh a lot.
I admit I got caught up by Great Big Sea , and Celtic Thunder from the first tune,

Sorry if I sound so simple, but you can't fight fate. Sailors, dogs and rum are some things you should not get mixed up  :P

Sorry, it was not my will just flattering you Statsqueen  :-[. I'm just as a kid in a new world searching and finding out some new things every day and when I listened to those groups I liked what they sing and their music, that's all.

Little tree is just the boy any father would like having as a son. A wide eyed kid staring at  world with curiosity and respect. Loving his elders and, most important thing, listening to them.
Reading those pages one wants to be a savage in the wild, learning the rules of mother nature.
I really think we have lost our roots, lost the link with our ancestors, and lost the harmony with nature to which we belong.

The book is short but the message is clear.

No future without nature.  No progress without thirst for knowledge.

That was my little say.

Paco,

I don't think you sounded simple at all.  I can't believe you remember lines from songs!  That is great.  I'm glad you have found new music that you like.

That's ok that you didn't set out for flattery, I was still flattered that I could introduce you to something you would enjoy.

Sounds like a great book.

Written By: statsqueen on 03/13/09 at 11:35 am

Wolfe Tones, Clancy Brothers, Clannad, Irish Rovers

Well, I recognize 1 out of the 4.  Think I have some new groups to check out!  Thanks!!

Written By: danootaandme on 03/14/09 at 6:38 am

Well, I recognize 1 out of the 4.  Think I have some new groups to check out!  Thanks!!

My objection to "Celtic Woman" and "Celtic Thunder" is that they are too polished.  They are to Irish Music what Pat Boone was  to Rock and Roll.  

Written By: Tam on 03/26/09 at 11:58 am

I am struggling with Jodi Picoult's Vanishing Acts right now.
I have had to read the same 2 pages probably 4 times now.
And she is a New York Times Best Seller! What is wrong with me??!!!!

Written By: danootaandme on 03/26/09 at 12:24 pm

Birdsong  - Sebastian Faulk

Written By: statsqueen on 03/26/09 at 10:04 pm

I am struggling with Jodi Picoult's Vanishing Acts right now.
I have had to read the same 2 pages probably 4 times now.
And she is a New York Times Best Seller! What is wrong with me??!!!!

Tam, it isn't you.  Honest.  Put the book down and step away.

Seriously, my mom is an avid reader (I get it from her).  She tried 4 different JP books and couldn't make it through any of them.  I don't know what the NYT sees in her books that the real world doesn't, but my mom found her to be one of the worst writers she has ever tried to read.  It was enough to make me not even want to waste my time.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/26/09 at 11:54 pm

Trying to get through a book called "Libraries at night".  Since I used to work in a library, I always find it interesting to read about them.  However this guy uses words and phraseology that is just so erudite that it is really hard for me to keep interested in.  He does alot of references to other peoples' works as in "in so-and-so's book 'blah blah blah' they said this..." well OK but how do YOU feel about it, I already KNOW what that other person feels (having read the book already).  I don't know, maybe I'm just being too persnickety.  I'm gonna give it another couple chapters and then just skim through it if it doesn't get easier to read.  :-\\

Written By: Tam on 03/27/09 at 5:25 am

Tam, it isn't you.  Honest.  Put the book down and step away.

Seriously, my mom is an avid reader (I get it from her).  She tried 4 different JP books and couldn't make it through any of them.  I don't know what the NYT sees in her books that the real world doesn't, but my mom found her to be one of the worst writers she has ever tried to read.  It was enough to make me not even want to waste my time.

Thank goodness I am not the only one!

I was recommended her when I was in Philly (bad Tam, I can't remember who said to give her a try though) and so I picked up one that I thought I would be able to get into. But Gah! The reading is horrible going and I just can't wrap my head around her different fonts, he writing technique or her thought process. I have pretty much given up. Perhaps my sister will want to read her.... I definitely know that I can't any longer!

Thanks Aim. I feel better now! 8)

Written By: danootaandme on 03/27/09 at 5:52 am

There are lots of books that I find impossible to read, a lot of the are praised by the critics, but I don't know who is reading them.  Literature has been dying since they started paying by the word and not by the book.  Some of these authors go on and on just to raise their paychecks, and become more unreadable.

Written By: statsqueen on 03/28/09 at 1:17 am

I was recommended her when I was in Philly (bad Tam, I can't remember who said to give her a try though) and so I picked up one that I thought I would be able to get into. But Gah! The reading is horrible going and I just can't wrap my head around her different fonts, he writing technique or her thought process. I have pretty much given up. Perhaps my sister will want to read her.... I definitely know that I can't any longer!

I'm glad I could help...what are friends for  ;) :)

Written By: Tam on 04/04/09 at 5:46 pm

I just finished reading the first book in The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare. City of Bones.
Definitely a good read. I liked it so much that I am now on book two: City of Ashes.

Written By: Tam on 04/06/09 at 2:18 pm

I just finished reading the first book in The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare. City of Bones.
Definitely a good read. I liked it so much that I am now on book two: City of Ashes.

And I am now done the series. Book Three is City of Glass.
Excellent read. I really enjoyed it. Of course it is sci-fi, and there is only a love story more or less in the third book, so that's ok too. ;) 8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/06/09 at 2:22 pm

If you can forgive for the title of the book, I am reading Bastard Prince: Henry VIII's Lost Son by Beverley A. Murphy. It is reconstrcution of a hitherto missing piece in the familiar political jigsaw of Henry VII's reign.

Written By: Tam on 04/06/09 at 2:23 pm

If you can forgive for the title of the book, I am reading Bastard Prince: Henry VIII's Lost Son by Beverley A. Murphy. It is reconstrcution of a hitherto missing piece in the familiar political jigsaw of Henry VII's reign.

That sounds pretty interesting Philip. 8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/06/09 at 2:24 pm

That sounds pretty interesting Philip. 8)
It is and will be. The boy's name was Henry Fitzroy if you wish to research more.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/06/09 at 2:26 pm

If you can forgive for the title of the book, I am reading Bastard Prince: Henry VIII's Lost Son by Beverley A. Murphy. It is reconstruction of a hitherto missing piece in the familiar political jigsaw of Henry VII's reign.

Sonewhat in the same vein, I am reading The Hemings of Monticello - Annette Gordon-Reed.  The story of Thomas Jefferson his slave Sally and the children she had by him.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/06/09 at 2:27 pm

Sonewhat in the same vein, I am reading The Hemings of Monticello - Annette Gordon-Reed.  The story of Thomas Jefferson his slave Sally and the children she had by him.
That subject matter happens the whole world over.

Written By: karen on 04/06/09 at 6:58 pm

It might have been me!  I recently read Keeping Faith by her and enjoyed it.

Written By: thereshegoes on 04/06/09 at 7:20 pm

I'm reading American Vertigo by Henri Lévy. He's a french guy travelling through the US a few years ago,very interesting perspective of the american way of life.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/07/09 at 6:19 am

That subject matter happens the whole world over.

There are people who get a charge saying they are descended from this King, or that Pilgrim.  Well... aren't we all  ;)

Written By: Tam on 04/07/09 at 9:02 am

It might have been me!  I recently read Keeping Faith by her and enjoyed it.

You know, the more I think about it, it just might have been you. ;)

Written By: Tam on 04/07/09 at 9:03 am

I'm reading American Vertigo by Henri Lévy. He's a french guy travelling through the US a few years ago,very interesting perspective of the american way of life.

My sister read that and recommended it to me. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten around to reading it yet... :-\\

Written By: Tam on 04/21/09 at 9:31 am

The Son and I have done a book trade.
Basically, he picked out of his books what he wants me to read, and I picked out of mine for him.

So he gave me The Alchemyst and The Magician - The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel
I gave him Gerald's Game and Doloris Claiborne

Both are sets - so this should be interesting. 8)

Written By: karen on 04/25/09 at 8:49 pm

Tam gave me Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult.  I am currently about halfway through the book and enjoying it so far

Written By: Jessica on 04/25/09 at 9:06 pm

Little Women.  I love that book.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/26/09 at 9:23 am

Dogs of Riga - Mankell

Written By: apollonia1986 on 05/01/09 at 10:14 pm

I just picked up The Tommyknockers by Stephen King. (my fave writer) I need something to pass the time in dialysis and I was getting tired of watching Prince TRY to dance. LOL Might as well boost my mind.

Written By: Michael C. on 05/02/09 at 9:17 am

Reading Master of War about Erik Prince and Blackwater.

Written By: statsqueen on 05/02/09 at 9:32 am

Micah loved the first Twilight book and is on the 2nd so I broke down and used some of my testing money to buy the boxed set (all 4 books in hardcover) for us.  They are waiting for me at my parents' house, although I'm thinking about not starting them til I get home (I have to spend Saturday cleaning not reading).  I can start the first one and she can pick up wherever she leaves off when she gives the 2nd one back to her friend.

I'm looking forward to reading them.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 05/09/09 at 7:36 am

I've pre-ordered Colin Tudge's untitled new book to be released on Friday. The advance buzz is that this mysterious book will forever alter humanity's perceptions of who we are, where we come from and where we are headed in the foreseeable future!

Written By: Michael C. on 05/09/09 at 8:06 am

Just started Elmore Leonard's newest, Road Dogs.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/10/09 at 4:59 am

A bunch of local history books.  You can gain insight to the history reading about what went on in your own area, one long "gee! I didn't know that!".  ;)

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 05/16/09 at 6:09 pm

The Taking by Dean Koontz

Written By: gumbypiz on 05/16/09 at 9:58 pm

On A Clear Day You Can See General Motors by John Z. DeLorean.

Considering the current state of financial affairs in the US auto industry, this book about DeLorean's days as a executive at GM back in the 60's & 70's is a scary forecast and guide to whats happened to US business and GM's disaster now...no wonder GM is so f'd up. :o

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 08/12/09 at 4:40 am

Sidney Sheldon's Mistress of the Game by Tilly Bagshawe

Written By: danootaandme on 08/12/09 at 6:04 pm

Re-reading "The Great Gatsby"  It is even better the second time around

Written By: Frank on 08/12/09 at 6:22 pm

Re-reading "The Great Gatsby"  It is even better the second time around

I'm currently reading a Faye Dunaway Bio titled: "Looking for Gastby"

Written By: statsqueen on 08/13/09 at 10:40 am

Finished all 4 Twighlight books in 4 days (yeah, I couldn't put them down).  Re-read the Outlander series, now I'm ready for the next book in the series.  In the meantime, I've picked up the paperback of DaVinci Code again, but I really want to read Angels and Demons.

Written By: Tam on 08/13/09 at 11:13 am

Finished all 4 Twighlight books in 4 days (yeah, I couldn't put them down).  Re-read the Outlander series, now I'm ready for the next book in the series.  In the meantime, I've picked up the paperback of DaVinci Code again, but I really want to read Angels and Demons.

Atta Girl Aim! All 4 in 4 days! You rock! 8)

Written By: Gis on 08/13/09 at 11:40 am

As ever I have a few on the go.......

I'm struggling through 'PS I Love You' at the moment, as a rule I like chick lit but this is a bit too fluffy for me..........

Written By: danootaandme on 08/13/09 at 5:13 pm

On The Black Hill - Bruce Chatwin

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 08/16/09 at 5:57 am

Just received my copy of Pat Conroy's (The Prince of Tides) novel South of Broad, his first new book in over sixteen years. I'm really looking forward to reading this one.

Written By: Michael C. on 08/16/09 at 8:54 am

I read it......
I was really glad to get a new work from Him..
Very enjoyable.
Just received my copy of Pat Conroy's (The Prince of Tides) novel South of Broad, his first new book in over sixteen years. I'm really looking forward to reading this one.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 08/16/09 at 9:40 am

I read it......
I was really glad to get a new work from Him..
Very enjoyable.

I'm glad you enjoyed the book. I hope I enjoy it as well! :)

Written By: Michael C. on 08/16/09 at 9:48 am

I'm sure You will .I , of course, said nothing about it so's to let You experience it for Yourself...Let Me know what You thought,when You're done...
I'm glad you enjoyed the book. I hope I enjoy it as well! :)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 08/16/09 at 3:04 pm

I'm reading:

Nightmares and Dreamscapes by Stephen King

Michael Jackson: The Magic and Madness (2009 edition) by J.Randy Tarraborelli

Archie's Double Digest.  ;D

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 08/26/09 at 3:36 am

The Satyricon by Petronius

Written By: danootaandme on 08/26/09 at 9:11 am

King Leopolds Ghost - Adam Hochschild, in conjunction with Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad.

recommended  ;)

Written By: karen on 08/27/09 at 10:26 pm

Anne of Green Gables - LM Montgomery.  Re-reading this classic from my childhood.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 08/31/09 at 2:25 am

Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 09/05/09 at 6:31 am

Ghost Story by Peter Straub

Written By: Tam on 09/05/09 at 9:02 am

Pride & Prejudice - Jane Austen

No matter how many times Ihave seen the movie(s) or movie attempts to be similar - I will never be more thankful than to have finally read the book. What a beautifully written  piece of work!

On to Sense & Sensibility now...  (thanks for telling me to read them Gis)  ;) 8)

Written By: anabel on 09/05/09 at 9:56 am

http://images.indiebound.com/369/776/9780679776369.jpg

I got this the other day at a charity book sale at work.  Not sure when I'll get time to read it,   ;)  but I thought it seemed interesting......

In her first novel, Jane Mendelsohn imagines what might have happened, crafting an hypnotic fictional memoir. The Amelia Earhart presented here is fiercely independent and unconventional, a heroine who is sympathetic without being the least bit sentimental. Earhart muses on her childhood, her marriage to G.P. Putnam, her love of flying, on herself, examining her own motives and desires with a somehow passionate dispassion, a satisfied calm belying a great deal of potential energy.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/06/09 at 6:20 am

http://www.wmboothdraper.com/store/images/JPMartin.jpg

Non fictional account of private in the American Revolution.  Too much is written by and/or about the guys at the top.  This is an account by and about a common foot soldier.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/06/09 at 6:22 am

Pride & Prejudice - Jane Austen

No matter how many times Ihave seen the movie(s) or movie attempts to be similar - I will never be more thankful than to have finally read the book. What a beautifully written  piece of work!

On to Sense & Sensibility now...  (thanks for telling me to read them Gis)  ;) 8)

My sister is a huge Jane Austen fan, rereads at least one of her books every year(I just found this out!).  I am considered one of the biggest readers of my friends and family, yet I have never read Jane Austen, that is weird, so now I am going to put her on my list.

Written By: Michael C. on 09/06/09 at 7:51 am

I got an advance copy of Stephen King's Under the Dome {due out in Nov.}

On March 2, Stephen King's official website published the plot synopsis:

On an entirely normal, beautiful fall day in Chester’s Mill, Maine, the town is inexplicably and suddenly sealed off from the rest of the world by an invisible force field. Planes crash into it and fall from the sky in flaming wreckage, a gardener’s hand is severed as “the dome” comes down on it, people running errands in the next town are divided from their families, and cars explode on impact. No one can fathom what this barrier is, where it came from, and when—or if—it will go away. Dale Barbara, Iraq vet and now a short-order cook, finds himself teamed with a few intrepid citizens—town newspaper owner Julia Shumway, a physician’s assistant at the hospital, a select-woman, and three brave kids. Against them stands Big Jim Rennie, a politician who will stop at nothing—even murder—to hold the reins of power, and his son, who is keeping a horrible secret in a dark pantry. But their main adversary is the Dome itself. Because time isn’t just short. It’s running out.

King describes the novel as "very, very long", saying "I tried this once before when I was a lot younger and the project was just too big for me". King has stated the novel is twice as long as his most recent, Duma Key, at "over 1,500 pages in manuscript" and "deals with some of the same issues that The Stand does, but in a more allegorical way".

Haven't read one of His in many years......Thought I'd give it a shot.....Hopefully it's more "classic" King .
{wait a minute...... :o wasn't Springfield under a dome in The Simpsons Movie ....?.........yikes....... :o  }

Written By: danootaandme on 09/06/09 at 5:23 pm

"Very, very long" ?  Stephen King is already very, very, long.  I like him, but stopped reading when it got obvious he was being paid by the word.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/08/09 at 9:36 am

I picked up this book in Lowell at the Visitors Center, only to find out when reading it that the woman in question, Harriett Robinson, ended up living in my hometown and lived in a house that was 3 doors down from a house that I had lived in.  Of course she was long dead by the time I was there, but it was weird, good, but weird.

http://www.upne.com/images/covers_large/0874518830.jpg

Written By: Michael C. on 09/08/09 at 6:49 pm

I stopped many years ago....Don't quite know why I'm willing to try Him again......
"Very, very long" ?  Stephen King is already very, very, long.  I like him, but stopped reading when it got obvious he was being paid by the word.

Written By: Tam on 09/09/09 at 1:47 am

I used to be a die hard SK fan. I loved all of his books... from The Gunslinger Series to It, The Stand to compilations. However, since his accident, I haven't been able to stand any of his new books. Well, to be fair I really liked Cell, but that is the only one. Anymore his books are over written and imho he now writes like his readers all have phd's or are brainiacs. 8-P

Written By: Gis on 09/09/09 at 4:52 am

Someone at a distance - Dorothy Whipple

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_x8Dkq2bbnwg/SmNvetlnq9I/AAAAAAAACzs/SajjGd9__Cc/S240/51lIequHmWL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

My Mum got given it by her friend who tried to read it and gave up, so my Mum tried, got half a dozen pages in and also gave up! I'm about halfway through and enjoying it, but I like reading novels written in an older style.

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/09/09 at 9:58 pm

Scathingly honest, Magnificent Desolation: The Long Journey Home from the Moon is a must-read.  I had the opportunity to shake the man's hand and have my copy autographed on the 40th anniversary of Buzz Aldrin's trip.  We - along with a few thousand other space fans - were aboard the USS Hornet, the aircraft carrier that picked him out of the water upon his return. 

But the interesting part of the story isn't about Buzz getting picked out of the drink by a helicopter - we've all heard that story - it's about Buzz picking himself up out of the drink.  After you've walked on the moon, what do you do for an encore?  Buzz will tell you.

Buzz is still sharp as a tack, and however brief my encounter was, he's one of the most ebullient characters I've had the pleasure to meet.  He pulls no punches (pun intended) with others - but he pulls no punches with himself either.  The man is simply made of win.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/10/09 at 6:24 am

Scathingly honest, Magnificent Desolation: The Long Journey Home from the Moon is a must-read.  I had the opportunity to shake the man's hand and have my copy autographed on the 40th anniversary of Buzz Aldrin's trip.  We - along with a few thousand other space fans - were aboard the USS Hornet, the aircraft carrier that picked him out of the water upon his return. 

But the interesting part of the story isn't about Buzz getting picked out of the drink by a helicopter - we've all heard that story - it's about Buzz picking himself up out of the drink.  After you've walked on the moon, what do you do for an encore?  Buzz will tell you.

Buzz is still sharp as a tack, and however brief my encounter was, he's one of the most ebullient characters I've had the pleasure to meet.  He pulls no punches (pun intended) with others - but he pulls no punches with himself either.  The man is simply made of win.

Have you read "The Right Stuff" ?  The movie was great, the book was greater.

Written By: statsqueen on 09/10/09 at 8:09 pm

Just finished The Time Travelers Wife (still haven't seen movie, now I probably won't).

Just started Tar Baby by Toni Morrison.  Too early to say, but I love her other works.  Gotta find her book Jazz.  With a title like that, I'm bound to love it.

Other than that, just killin' time til Diana Gabaldon's An Echo In The Bone comes out on the 22nd.  Also still need to get Angels & Demons and The Lost Symbol (out soon) by Dan Brown.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 09/11/09 at 4:38 am

The Last Secret by Mary McGarry Morris

Written By: Tam on 09/11/09 at 12:26 pm

My sister is a huge Jane Austen fan, rereads at least one of her books every year(I just found this out!).  I am considered one of the biggest readers of my friends and family, yet I have never read Jane Austen, that is weird, so now I am going to put her on my list.

Her writing isn't for everyone, but I believe you will thoroughly enjoy her. Her prose and take on women and men is absolutely brilliant. And I love how she always has a heroine instead of a hero. Of course, there are hero's in her books, but it is always the heroine that prevails! Enjoy them when you get the chance!!! 8)

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/11/09 at 8:43 pm

Have you read "The Right Stuff" ?  The movie was great, the book was greater.

Indeud, but now I'm thinking I oughta re-read it -- Aldrin's post-lunar-landing autobiography would be a perfect epilogue to it.

Written By: Jessica on 09/11/09 at 10:18 pm

Right now I'm reading "50 Physics Ideas That You Really Need To Know" by Joanne Baker.

Written By: loki 13 on 09/15/09 at 6:38 pm

I just started reading, The Lost Symbol...Dan Brown. I interupted my reading of Book Of The Dead...Patricia Cornwell
to start reading Brown's book but that's okay, I wasn't that far into it.

Written By: karen on 09/15/09 at 7:02 pm

I'm reading the last Twilight book.  I bought it on special offer yesterday.

I just started reading, The Lost Symbol...Dan Brown. I interupted my reading of Book Of The Dead...Patricia Cornwell

I might look out for this one as well.  Let me know if you enjoy it

Written By: loki 13 on 09/15/09 at 8:32 pm

I might look out for this one as well.  Let me know if you enjoy it

Will do Karen but I must tell you it may take awhile, I enjoy reading so I'm not a fast reader.

Written By: Davester on 09/16/09 at 3:26 am

Starting The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, again.  Lost my other copy, had to buy a new one...

Written By: statsqueen on 09/17/09 at 10:58 am

I want to get Dan Brown's book after I get Diana's new book.  Patricia Cornwell is one of my daughter's favorite authors.  When she found out that Patricia reviewed her Criminalistics book (Chemistry with forensic science emphasis textbook), she was VERY excited.  It's her current favorite class and book.

Written By: karen on 09/17/09 at 11:16 pm

Starting The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, again.  Lost my other copy, had to buy a new one...

I was in Barnes and Noble the other day and saw the full set of H2G2.  Can't recall if it was a box set or one massive book with all five books in.  I thought about buying it anyway.  Not sure if we have all the books any more.  I'd also like to get the two Dirk Gently books

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 09/20/09 at 10:18 am

Little Birds of Heaven by Joyce Carol Oates

Written By: Tam on 09/21/09 at 10:36 pm

I am currently in the midst of Persuasion by Jane Austen.

It has been a pretty hard go. Now that I am 12 chapters in, it is getting easier, but all of the back story and slow build up almost stopped me from reading on.

I will let y'all know when I am finished and will give my take on it for sure. 8)

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 10/17/09 at 6:38 am

2012 by Whitley Streiber

Written By: Gis on 10/20/09 at 9:27 am

Last book I read was The Boy in the Stripped Pyjamas.

Written By: loki 13 on 10/21/09 at 4:30 pm

I completely forgot I was supposed to tell how I liked The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown.

I like Dan Brown's style of writing and on some nights I did go to bed later than normal because
I had to read the next chapter to see what would happen. I must say though, I was a little bit
disappointed in this book. It had a whole bunch of lead up only to fizzle in the end and I thought
it was a bit too predictable. It wasn't a bad book but I think it would make a better movie.

The book I am reading now is Everywhere That Mary Went...Lisa Scottoline.

Written By: karen on 10/21/09 at 6:19 pm

I completely forgot I was supposed to tell how I liked The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown.

On Columbus day I was talking with some people about Dan Brown books.  I wondered then if you had finished it or not!

I like Dan Brown's style of writing and on some nights I did go to bed later than normal because
I had to read the next chapter to see what would happen. I must say though, I was a little bit
disappointed in this book. It had a whole bunch of lead up only to fizzle in the end and I thought
it was a bit too predictable. It wasn't a bad book but I think it would make a better movie.

Perhaps I'll pick it up from the library rather than buy a copy then.

One of my friends has a theory that Dan Brown's wife wrote most of da Vinci Code and that this book was in the same style as that.  She insists the others have a totally different writing style  :-\\

Written By: Tam on 10/21/09 at 7:17 pm

I am currently in the midst of Persuasion by Jane Austen.

It has been a pretty hard go. Now that I am 12 chapters in, it is getting easier, but all of the back story and slow build up almost stopped me from reading on.

I will let y'all know when I am finished and will give my take on it for sure. 8)

I finished reading this within two days of the post.
It was of course, another fabulous Austen novel. It was a little hard to get into at first because of the back story that the reader needs in order to understand, but it turned out to be a truly brilliant love story!

Written By: karen on 10/21/09 at 7:21 pm

I am currently re-reading The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets by Eva Rice

Written By: Tam on 10/21/09 at 7:22 pm

The book I am reading now is Everywhere That Mary Went...Lisa Scottoline.

Hubby read Angels & Demons and then didn't like the movie.
I sent him The Lost Symbol, I don't know if he has started reading it yet or not...
And of course he now wants The Da Vinci Code ::)

Written By: Tam on 10/21/09 at 7:27 pm

I am currently re-reading The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets by Eva Rice

I have heard this to be a great read! 8)

I am about to start reading "Fire" by Kristen Cashore

Written By: karen on 10/21/09 at 8:28 pm

I have heard this to be a great read! 8)

I like it, but then I like Jodi Picoult  :P

I'll send it to you if you like.  (at least let me check the cost of sending it to you and then I might!)

Written By: Tam on 10/21/09 at 9:35 pm

I like it, but then I like Jodi Picoult  :P

I'll send it to you if you like.  (at least let me check the cost of sending it to you and then I might!)

;D ;D ;D
I wish I could have gotten into Jodi. ;)

It's all good Girl. Keep it - I can get it from the library when I want. ;)

Written By: Jessica on 10/21/09 at 11:00 pm

My Astronomy Magazine.  I finally got "Flashforward" from the library, but haven't started reading it yet.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 10/26/09 at 3:39 am

The Witching Hour by Anne Rice

Written By: danootaandme on 10/26/09 at 12:43 pm

Case Histories - Kate Atkinson

Just started it, seems ok

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/01/09 at 6:36 am

Since starting work I have kept meaning to go to the library and take out a book to read on my bus journey each day, I still have not done it yet.

Written By: Frank on 11/02/09 at 11:09 pm

The life of Mickey Mantle - The last hero

Written By: karen on 11/09/09 at 10:49 am

just finished re-reading Twilight.  I'm going to read New Moon next in anticipation of the film coming out.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 11/09/09 at 6:37 pm

Savages by Shirley Conran

Written By: Tam on 11/09/09 at 6:47 pm

just finished re-reading Twilight.  I'm going to read New Moon next in anticipation of the film coming out.

That is great Karen!
I am trying to decide what to read next...

Written By: danootaandme on 11/10/09 at 6:07 am

The Notebook - Nicholas Sparks

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 11/20/09 at 7:34 pm

Open by Andre Agassi

Written By: karen on 11/21/09 at 6:49 pm

I can't recall the title but its by Rosamunde Pilcher

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 11/23/09 at 4:37 pm

Wide, Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys

Written By: danootaandme on 11/23/09 at 4:46 pm

Wide, Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys

I loved that one  :)

Written By: danootaandme on 11/26/09 at 5:57 am

The Education of Henry Adams - Henry Adams

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 11/29/09 at 7:01 am

The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 12/04/09 at 3:02 am

Shopgirl by Steve Martin

Written By: danootaandme on 12/04/09 at 12:47 pm

A Moveable Feast  Ernest Hemingway

Written By: DJ Blaze on 12/11/09 at 7:10 pm

Almost finished with The Giver.

Written By: Tam on 12/16/09 at 11:32 am

I finished Northanger Abbey last night.
It was a slow start but around chapter 7 or 8 - it took off!

I just love Austen's tales of unrequited love and the trials of 'status', as well as the jealousy of others.
I hope my new reader will love it as much as I did. ;)

Now to start either Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte or Mansfield Park - another Austen. 8)

Written By: Dagwood on 12/16/09 at 2:01 pm

Just started Stephen Kings Under the Dome. 

Written By: Tam on 12/16/09 at 2:36 pm

Just started Stephen Kings Under the Dome. 

Looks like a good book, but another huge volume by the master of being paid by the word! ;D
It is also very close to another book series I have read by Michael Grant.
I am hoping Santa brings it for Christmas! 8)

Written By: Dagwood on 12/16/09 at 3:31 pm

Looks like a good book, but another huge volume by the master of being paid by the word! ;D
It is also very close to another book series I have read by Michael Grant.
I am hoping Santa brings it for Christmas! 8)

Is the Michael Grant series any good?  What is it called?  I am always looking for new books.

I am only a couple of pages in so I can't say how good it is yet.  I will post later with an update.

Written By: Tam on 12/16/09 at 3:37 pm

Is the Michael Grant series any good?  What is it called?  I am always looking for new books.

I am only a couple of pages in so I can't say how good it is yet.  I will post later with an update.

It is the Gone series!

http://www.harperteen.com/contests/gone/home.aspx

It is actually in the teen section of the library and book stores, but it is a great read for sure! 8)

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 12/16/09 at 3:52 pm

Memories of Midnight by Sidney Sheldon

Written By: Dagwood on 12/16/09 at 3:56 pm

It is the Gone series!

http://www.harperteen.com/contests/gone/home.aspx

It is actually in the teen section of the library and book stores, but it is a great read for sure! 8)

I will have to check it out when I finish Dome.  Maybe it would be good for Sarah as well. 8)

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 12/23/09 at 3:54 am

Lost Star of Myth & Time by William Cruttenden

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 01/02/10 at 6:23 am

Under the Dome by Stephen King

Written By: statsqueen on 01/04/10 at 6:33 pm

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 01/15/10 at 4:17 am

The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/16/10 at 4:09 am

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown
How is the book, compared to the flow of The Da Vinci Code?

Written By: Jessica on 01/17/10 at 12:43 am

Lamb: The Gospel According To Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore.  It is FUNNEH!

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 01/25/10 at 4:40 am

Roses by Leila Meacham

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 02/03/10 at 6:51 pm

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

Written By: karen on 02/04/10 at 4:10 pm

Currently reading Richard Carvel by Winston Churchill.  My Christmas present from Cat and Carlos.

I am also just about to start The Other Boleyn Girl - a friend recommended

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 02/07/10 at 5:23 am

The Summer We Fell Apart by Robin Antalek

Written By: danootaandme on 02/07/10 at 5:31 am

From Fugitive to Freeman - William Wells Brown

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 02/13/10 at 9:13 pm

Taltos by Anne Rice

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/13/10 at 11:23 pm

The Book of Job

Seems to help me understand a few things nowadays!

Written By: apollonia1986 on 02/14/10 at 12:10 am

Reading Moonwalk off and on.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 02/16/10 at 5:47 am

The Diving Bell & The Butterfly: A Memoir of Life & Death by Jean-Dominique Bauby

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 02/20/10 at 5:32 am

The Blue Orchard by Jackson Taylor

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/21/10 at 1:39 am

Right now I'm reading Jonathan Letham's semi-biographical memoir "Fortress of Solitude" about growing up in Brooklyn in the 1970s.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 02/21/10 at 1:07 pm

Fear and Trembling by Sören Kierkegaard

Written By: danootaandme on 02/23/10 at 7:38 am

The Unwritten War - American Writers and the Civil War - Daniel Aaron

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 02/23/10 at 6:15 pm

Shadow Tag by Louise Erdich

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 02/27/10 at 5:33 am

The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 03/05/10 at 4:51 pm

Triplets by Mollie Gregory

Written By: danootaandme on 03/07/10 at 9:33 am

1831-Year of Eclipse Louis P. Masur

Arguing About Slavery - The Great Battle in the U.S. Congress  William Lee Miller

You'd have to be into the U.S. Histiory, specifically the Civil War, to appreciate it.

Written By: karen on 03/09/10 at 12:16 pm

Lewis Carroll in Numberland: His Fantastical, Mathematical Life - Robin Wilson

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 03/10/10 at 3:50 am

Angelology by Danielle Trussoni

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 03/12/10 at 5:22 pm

One Second After by William Forstchen

Written By: Tam on 03/12/10 at 7:07 pm

The Unexpected Bride - Elizabeth Rolls

Written By: silhouette on 03/17/10 at 11:54 pm

Finished The Confidence Man by Herman Melville. Crazy long, crazy plot, crazy amount of commas and run on sentences.  ;D Kind of a tough read, but it really makes  a person think.

Written By: karen on 03/18/10 at 4:19 pm

Currently reading Bill Bryson - Neither Here Nor There and H Jackson Brown jr - The Complete Life's Little Instruction Book.

On my table waiting for me to read are two careers books.  Something about women and work and one about changing career in mid-life  :-\\

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 03/21/10 at 7:34 am

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

Written By: karen on 03/29/10 at 7:42 am

Currently going through the Hitchhikers series.  I've just finished Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and I am currently reading The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Written By: Tam on 03/29/10 at 10:07 am

I am currently read The Apothecary's Daughter by Julie Klassen

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 03/30/10 at 1:13 pm

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith

Written By: danootaandme on 03/31/10 at 2:34 pm

Look Away! History of the Confederate States of America- William C Davis

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 04/04/10 at 7:27 am

Vamp: The Rise & Fall of Theda Bara by Eve Golden  :)

Written By: danootaandme on 04/04/10 at 11:55 am

LOOK AWAY - A History of the Confederate States of America  William C. Davis

Written By: karen on 04/04/10 at 7:13 pm

Currently going through the Hitchhikers series.  I've just finished Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and I am currently reading The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

on the fifth book - Mostly Harmless

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 04/09/10 at 4:20 am

The Irresistible Henry House by Lisa Grunwald

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/09/10 at 4:45 am

A book by late night chat show host Craig Ferguson called "American on purpose" and a book by Alan Alda called "Things I heard while talking to myself."  I can relate to that title.  lol

Can't tell that I like t.v. can you?  I only read about when I'm not watching it.

Written By: statsqueen on 04/14/10 at 1:15 pm

How is the book, compared to the flow of The Da Vinci Code?

Sorry for the delay in replying, Philip, I dropped off the map for a while.

I would have to go back and read DVC to give you an accurate comparison.  What I can tell you without doing that is that Lost Symbol has a lot of intense stuff, some of it pretty gruesome.  However, it is still challenging (in a good way) and the ending truly surprised me.  I hope you will read it and let me know your thoughts/comparison.  I would really like to know if you liked it as much as Da Vinci Code.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/15/10 at 4:24 am

Life in a New England Town- The Diary of John Quincy Adams 1787-1788

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/26/10 at 11:44 pm

Started reading Craig Ferguson's autobiography "American on Purpose" two weeks ago.  It was good and funny, but after about the hundredth time referencing all the cocaine and alcohol he did, I started losing interest.  Just couldn't get back into it.

Written By: karen on 04/27/10 at 1:35 pm

I read My Sister's Keeper last week.  Currently reading Murder at/in Hazelmoor (Agatha Christie)

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 04/27/10 at 2:56 pm

The Blessing Stone by Barbara Wood

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 05/25/10 at 6:06 pm

The Eight by Katherine Neville

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 06/04/10 at 4:25 am

My First Five Husbands (And the Ones Who Got Away) by Rue McClanahan

http://www.amazon.com/First-Five-Husbands-Ones-Away/dp/0767926943/ref=pd_sim_b_3

Written By: lola669 on 06/04/10 at 11:17 am

I'm reading The Bodies Left Behind by Jeffery Deaver.  Over the last few weeks I've read a couple of other books by Deaver. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/04/10 at 2:45 pm

I have finally succombed to Lord of the Rings, and I am enjoying it.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/05/10 at 5:27 am

Mrs. Adams in Winter: A Journey in the Last Days of Napoleon   Michael O'Brien

January 1815....
"In three weeks she had crated up the St. Petersburg household, settled the accounts and prepared to set off, across 2,000 miles, to join her husband in Paris. It was winter. Europe remained pockmarked by the Napoleonic Wars. With her Mrs. Adams would take knives and forks; hidden bags of gold and silver; a governess; two servants, one of them trustworthy; and 7-year-old Charles Francis Adams, whose third language was English. They set out late on the afternoon of Feb. 12. It was Mrs. Adams’s 40th birthday."

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 06/12/10 at 6:47 am

Furious Love:  Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, and the Marriage of the Century by Sam Kashner and Nancy Schoenberger

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 06/15/10 at 1:14 pm

Sidney Sheldon's After the Darkness by Tilly Bagshawe

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 06/20/10 at 6:24 am

The Vanished Smile: The Mysterious Theft of the Mona Lisa by R.A. Scotti

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/20/10 at 7:01 am

I have finally succombed to Lord of the Rings, and I am enjoying it.
I have finsihed the first bit.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 06/24/10 at 2:31 am

Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank

Written By: danootaandme on 06/24/10 at 5:32 am

The Whiskey Rebels - David Liss

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/24/10 at 7:44 pm

Hunter S. Thompson, Hell's Angels

I find I have more respect for Hunter than I used to.  Never mind the personality type Hunter himself had, he's pretty succinct with what he wants to say about the motorcycle gang. 
8)

Written By: danootaandme on 06/25/10 at 8:50 am

I find I have more respect for Hunter than I used to.  Never mind the personality type Hunter himself had, he's pretty succinct with what he wants to say about the motorcycle gang. 
8)

Love Hunter, love his writings, and he had the balls to take on the Angels as they really are instead of that glorified modern day pirate crap.  They put a contract out on him for it but he had more of what it takes than they did.  I miss him, we could use more like him, though I wouldn't want to invite him over for dinner.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 06/26/10 at 5:18 am

I'm Losing You by Bruce Wagner

Written By: Davester on 07/01/10 at 12:56 am

The Leper King and His Heirs: Baldwin IV and the Crusader Kingdom of Jerusalem - Andrew Bridgeford

1066: The Hidden History in the Bayeux Tapestry - Bernard Hamilton

Recently finished - 1066: A New History of the Norman Conquest - Peter Rex

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 07/01/10 at 12:47 pm

Earth Abides by George R. Stewart

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/04/10 at 12:23 am

Love Hunter, love his writings, and he had the balls to take on the Angels as they really are instead of that glorified modern day pirate crap.  They put a contract out on him for it but he had more of what it takes than they did.  I miss him, we could use more like him, though I wouldn't want to invite him over for dinner.

Thompson was a bit of a macho-man, but then he'd have to be just to ride with Hell's Angels.  The impression I got was that as he got older he liked to sit around, drink beer, and watch college basketball.  He was still an avid outdoorsman.  He liked to hunt.  What's in a name after all?  However, he seemed to have developed the "gonzo" persona as a tool for advancing his career.  This is not to say it took an less testicular fortitude.  Once he laid off the drugs and the hard-drinking, Thompson was mellow company.  That's what I heard.  I never got to meet him.  I'm sorry he chose to take his own life.  He might not have been psychologically equipped to grow old.
:\'(

( He left a widow half his age...but he was Hunter S. Thompson, not Grant Wood)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 07/04/10 at 8:51 pm

http://lawrenceotisgraham.com/images/books/our_kind_of_people_lg.jpg

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 07/06/10 at 1:57 am

The Mosquito Coast by Paul Theroux

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 07/27/10 at 2:13 pm

The Quincunx by David Palliser

Written By: 80sfan on 07/30/10 at 5:41 pm

I WAS reading a book called "From Jesus to Christianity".

I quit reading it after 40 pages because it was sooooo boring!!  ;D

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 08/03/10 at 5:58 pm

Labyrinth by Kate Mosse

Written By: danootaandme on 08/05/10 at 5:03 pm

http://kellylowenstein.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/41s8dawhzrl__sl500_aa240_.jpg

Written By: danootaandme on 08/05/10 at 5:04 pm

The Quincunx by David Palliser

Tried it....couldn't

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 08/08/10 at 11:40 am

Tried it....couldn't...

It's not everyone's cup of tea... and it's very long!  ;D

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 08/11/10 at 3:59 pm

Dreams of the Kalahari by Carolyn Slaughter

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 09/05/10 at 7:12 am

Solstice by Joyce Carol Oates

Written By: danootaandme on 09/06/10 at 4:00 pm

Burning Bright - Ron Rash

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 09/09/10 at 4:01 am

Fellow Travelers by Thomas Mallon

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 09/15/10 at 2:58 pm

Your Couchsurfer's Travel Journal: A Personal Journey to Discovering the World & Making Friends by Asher Wyndham

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41FRPKCnMEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Written By: danootaandme on 09/15/10 at 4:14 pm

To America - Stephen Ambrose

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/16/10 at 5:55 pm

8)

I read that book back when I was in high school, Hunter was a crazy bastard but also a great, riveting storyteller.

Recently I've read Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein, and 1632 and 1633 from the Ring Of Fire series by Eric Flint.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 09/18/10 at 8:25 pm

Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51A1b0iz%2BjL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Written By: Claybricks on 09/18/10 at 10:26 pm

Tiger's Revenge by Claude Balls

Dan

Written By: danootaandme on 09/19/10 at 4:09 am

Common Ground - J. Anthony Lukas

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/20/10 at 10:02 pm

Tiger's Revenge by Claude Balls

Dan

The Golden Peacock by I. P. Withidoropin

Written By: Claybricks on 09/21/10 at 5:43 pm

Life As a Double Amputee by Dick Dragon

Dan

Written By: zcrito on 09/21/10 at 10:14 pm

In Search of the Trojan War by Michael Wood.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/21/10 at 10:59 pm

My old college philosophy primer.  I'm gearing up to re-read all the Plato dialogues, starting with Republic.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 09/22/10 at 3:35 pm

Bright, Shiny Things by Miguel Dante

http://www.amazon.com/Bright-Shiny-Things-Miguel-Dante/dp/1453815376/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1284589148&sr=1-1

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 09/25/10 at 4:03 am

Freedom by Jonathan Franzen

Written By: 80sfan on 09/25/10 at 6:53 pm

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring  :)

Written By: danootaandme on 09/26/10 at 5:54 am

The Strange Death of Mistress Coffin -Robert J. Begiebing

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 09/30/10 at 4:16 am

The Grand Design by Stephen Hawking

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/04/10 at 5:47 pm

Bright, Shiny Things by Miguel Dante

http://www.amazon.com/Bright-Shiny-Things-Miguel-Dante/dp/1453815376/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1284589148&sr=1-1

You wrote another book Michael?  Looks like a childrens book.  I like the title, and I also love shiny, sparkley things too.  ;D

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 10/04/10 at 6:25 pm

You wrote another book Michael?  Looks like a childrens book.  I like the title, and I also love shiny, sparkley things too.   ;D

Yes, I did, Patty. And it is indeed a children's book! :)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/04/10 at 6:38 pm

Yes, I did, Patty. And it is indeed a children's book! :)

That's awesome!  I'll buy it soon.  Maybe I can read it to the cats.  :-\\ ;) :)

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 10/04/10 at 7:08 pm

That's awesome!  I'll buy it soon.  Maybe I can read it to the cats.  :-\\ ;) :)

Thanks, Patty!!! Cats do love Bright, Shiny Things!  ;D

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 10/11/10 at 3:02 pm

Eyewitness Travel Guide to Costa Rica

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/12/10 at 11:04 pm

All:

http://www.mobipocket.com/eBooks/cover_remote/ID4963/COMMUNIST-MANIFESTO-COVER.jpg

Some:

http://www.whiteestate.org/vault/Images/HolyBible_a.jpg

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/12/10 at 11:37 pm

Eyewitness Travel Guide to Costa Rica

Have fun in Costa Rica, Michael.  Safe travels.

Written By: Davester on 10/12/10 at 11:45 pm

All:

http://www.mobipocket.com/eBooks/cover_remote/ID4963/COMMUNIST-MANIFESTO-COVER.jpg

Some:

http://www.whiteestate.org/vault/Images/HolyBible_a.jpg

hmmm...http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/expressive/scratchchin.gif

Currently reading "Why Unions Matter" by someone and "The Shop Steward's Complete Guide" by someone else...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/12/10 at 11:47 pm

hmmm...http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/expressive/scratchchin.gif

Currently reading "Why Unions Matter" by someone and "The Shop Steward's Complete Guide" by someone else...

I'm in no shape to be quizzed on either if that's what you're thinking! 

Written By: Davester on 10/12/10 at 11:59 pm

I'm in no shape to be quizzed on either if that's what you're thinking!  

I was going to ask if you read them simultaneously or at different times... :D

There's a dusty old copy of the Commie Manifesto laying around here, somewhere...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/13/10 at 12:22 am

They line up pretty well on the economic stuff, I mean the NT, but the God question renders them forever alien.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/13/10 at 12:37 am

What A Way To Go: Fabulous Funerals Of The Famous And Infamous by Adele Q. Brown

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/9e/1a/15abe03ae7a0674c67cf1210.L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/13/10 at 1:14 am

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_bHVzYUMtzVs/S2XpDzdfAPI/AAAAAAAAABc/JSxt5Oy5P2s/S1600-R/bugliosi.JPG

Never finished.  Never will.  It's death by tedious detail.  He says he's got the conclusive unequivocal proof of the Warren Commission's findings.  Oswald was the lone gunman and he acted alone.

I'll be damned if trying to get to it is about as exciting as chewing on wet cardboard.
::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/13/10 at 3:11 am

There's a dusty old copy of the Commie Manifesto laying around here, somewhere...

But you repeat yourself, good Sir!

(In the spirit of fair play, ditto my copy of Atlas Shrugged :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/13/10 at 1:03 pm

I'll wait till they make the film!

Written By: danootaandme on 10/15/10 at 7:21 am

Reconstruction Appalachia - The Civil Wars Aftermath  Andrew L. Slap

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/15/10 at 5:17 pm

Answering questions on Jeopardy.

Correctly.  8)

Written By: danootaandme on 10/17/10 at 6:44 am

Girl With the Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larrson

Written By: karen on 10/19/10 at 2:15 pm

Girl With the Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larrson

Just contempalting whether to re-read this or not. 

Currently re-reading A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson.  Made slightly more interesting now because I know some of the places he mentions

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 10/23/10 at 4:36 pm

Nefertiti: A Novel by Michelle Moran

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 11/01/10 at 7:53 pm

Andorra by Peter Cameron

Written By: whistledog on 11/01/10 at 10:35 pm

I am reading the novel based on the movie 'Morning Glory' starring Harrison Ford.  It has a Star Wars reference that I hope will be in the movie.

Written By: loki 13 on 11/02/10 at 4:06 pm

The Einstein Enigma.....Jose Rodrigues Dos Santos

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 11/03/10 at 3:53 pm

The Private Diaries of Catherine Deneuve by Catherine Deneuve

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 11/07/10 at 10:25 am

Palo Alto by James Franco

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 11/18/10 at 5:54 pm

Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Lauren Hillenbrand

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/23/10 at 12:27 pm

Does audio books count? If so, then we just finished Harry Potter & the Philosopher Stone and will be starting the Chamber of Secrets today.

Cat

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 11/23/10 at 6:39 pm

Call Me by Your Name by Andre Aciman

Written By: danootaandme on 11/24/10 at 8:20 am

Founding Myths: Stories That Hide Our Patriotic Past - Ray Raphael

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 11/26/10 at 1:08 pm

At Play in the Fields of the Lord by Peter Matthiessen

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 12/01/10 at 6:53 pm

Thrifty Magillicutty's Christmas on $500 or Less Miracle

Written By: danootaandme on 12/02/10 at 5:22 am

Gloucesterbook - John Bayliss

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 12/10/10 at 4:05 am

Billy Creekmore by Tracey Porter

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/10/10 at 5:09 am

This week's menu:

Chris Hedges: "American Fascists"
G. K. Chesteron: "St. Thomas Aquinas -- The Dumb Ox"

Written By: danootaandme on 12/13/10 at 2:12 pm

Six Womens Slave Narratives - Edited by Henry Louis Gates

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 12/13/10 at 3:35 pm

The Homing by John Saul

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 01/11/11 at 4:05 pm

Memoirs of a Star by Pola Negri

Written By: Mat1991 on 01/22/11 at 5:04 pm

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 01/23/11 at 11:14 am

Thank Heaven: A Memoir by Leslie Caron

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 01/30/11 at 7:00 am

Oogy: The Dog Only a Family Could Love by Larry Levin

Written By: karen on 01/30/11 at 3:42 pm

just finished Twilight and I'm planning to read the whole series

Written By: danootaandme on 01/30/11 at 4:31 pm

The Diary of William Bentley: Pastor of the East Church, Salem, Massachusetts-Volume II 1793-1800

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 02/04/11 at 2:25 pm

The Oracle of Stamboul by Michael David Lukas

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 03/09/11 at 1:59 pm

Apollyon Rising: 2012 by Thomas Horn

Written By: Davester on 03/09/11 at 2:13 pm

Reading...

Mark Antony: A Life by Pat Southern

Legions of Rome: Definitive History by Stephen Dando-Collins

Written By: danootaandme on 03/10/11 at 6:35 am

Seven Gothic Tales - Isak Dinesen

Written By: silhouette on 03/11/11 at 1:24 am

1984 - George Orwell

Sailor Song - Ken Kesey

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 03/13/11 at 11:21 am

Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank

Written By: Christie Marie M on 03/22/11 at 6:51 pm

The Baby-Sitter's Club

(I feel I'm never too old to read those. There are others in the series that I haven't read yet when I was only a tween).

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 04/02/11 at 5:40 pm

Suffer the Children by Domini Taylor

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 04/05/11 at 6:08 pm

The Land of Painted Caves by Jean M. Auel

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 04/14/11 at 3:47 pm

Physics of the Future: How Science Will Shape Human Destiny & Our Daily Lives by the Year 2100 by Michio Kaku

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 04/23/11 at 7:11 pm

The Fever Dream by Lincoln Child & Douglas Preston

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 05/07/11 at 5:27 am

If You Ask Me (And Of Course You Won't) by Betty White

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 05/28/11 at 1:29 pm

Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 06/10/11 at 6:49 pm

State of Wonder by Ann Patchett

http://amzn.to/j7mawb

Written By: MLB on 06/29/11 at 6:16 pm

^^^^^^ I read teen fiction all the time too!  You aren't alone.
Right now tho, I'm reading one in a series; "The Bourne Sanction".
And I just finished The Alexandria Link: Steve Berry

Written By: danootaandme on 06/29/11 at 6:21 pm

Angle of Repose - Wallace Stegner

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 07/02/11 at 6:28 am

Untold Story by Monica Ali

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 07/27/11 at 5:53 pm

One Flight Up by Susan Fales-Hill

Written By: DJ Blaze on 07/27/11 at 7:39 pm

Believe it or not, I'm an avid reader. Recently I finished the old classic Caddie Woodlawn, and now I'm reading Inkspell, the sequel to Inkheart.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/27/11 at 8:22 pm

Norman Mailer: The Naked and the Dead (1948)

Written By: Claybricks on 07/28/11 at 8:53 pm

50 Years In The Saddle by Major Asburn

Dan

Written By: Mat1991 on 07/29/11 at 1:47 am

I'm reading Warriors Don't Cry by Melba Pattillo Beals. It's a memoir about the author's (who was a part of the Little Rock Nine) experience integrating an all-white high school in the late '50s.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/23/11 at 3:57 pm

From A Buice 8 by Stephen King

Written By: danootaandme on 10/23/11 at 4:21 pm

All Our Spoons Came From Woolworth - Barbara Comyn

Written By: danootaandme on 10/23/11 at 4:22 pm

From A Buice 8 by Stephen King

Buick?    ::)

Written By: 80sfan on 10/23/11 at 4:29 pm

Buick?    ::)

Yes.  ;D

Written By: loki 13 on 10/23/11 at 5:16 pm

God, No!: Signs You May Already Be An Atheist and Other Magical Tales...Penn Jillette.

Written By: karen on 10/26/11 at 10:16 am

God, No!: Signs You May Already Be An Athiest and Other Magical Tales...Penn Jillette.

sounds intriguing

Written By: lorac61469 on 10/26/11 at 10:41 am

I finished Under The Dome by Stephen King...it was OK but way too long.

Written By: Tam on 10/26/11 at 11:48 am

I have it but haven't even looked at it.
Is it worth the amount of time it is going to take to read it?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/26/11 at 12:36 pm

I have given up on Stephen King, his books are too long.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/26/11 at 3:53 pm

I have given up on Stephen King, his books are too long.

Ditto...Stephen King ruined his books when they started paying him by the word.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/26/11 at 3:54 pm

The Vets Daughter Barbara Comyn

Written By: lorac61469 on 10/26/11 at 4:11 pm

I have it but haven't even looked at it.
Is it worth the amount of time it is going to take to read it?

I dunno...the story was ok but he could have left half of the stuff out and it would have been better.  Wait for the movie or week long mini-series.  ;D

Written By: Tam on 10/26/11 at 4:30 pm

I dunno...the story was ok but he could have left half of the stuff out and it would have been better.  Wait for the movie or week long mini-series.  ;D

Thanks Carol.
The Son read it and said it was great, but I haven't really liked many of King's stories in the last few years.
I will definitely wait for a while. ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/26/11 at 6:55 pm

We have been listening to the Horatio Hornblower series audiobooks. There are 11 books in the series and we just finished book #7.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 10/30/11 at 3:13 am

Rum Diary - Hunter Thompson

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 11/24/11 at 10:54 am

The Fame Game by Rona Jaffe

Written By: danootaandme on 11/24/11 at 3:35 pm

Walden - Thoreau

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/24/11 at 10:44 pm

Dr. Alex Comfort: The Joy of Sex.

I found it in my parents' room when I was 11 and read it cover to cover!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/ylsuper.gif

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 12/01/11 at 4:15 am

Micro by Michael Crichton with Richard Preston

Written By: lorac61469 on 12/01/11 at 11:22 am

Smokin' Seventeen by Janet Evanovich.

Written By: karen on 12/01/11 at 2:25 pm

New Moon - Stephenie Meyer

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 02/04/12 at 5:27 pm

Swan Song by Robert McCammon

Written By: danootaandme on 02/04/12 at 8:36 pm

The Given Day - Dennis Lehane

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 02/05/12 at 4:27 pm

Currently reading The Rook by Daniel O'Malley

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/05/12 at 6:39 pm

A book called "American Eccentrics" by Carl Sifakis

My husband and I should be in there.  :D

Written By: karen on 02/15/12 at 11:03 am

Just finished the second book in the Hunger Games trilogy.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/15/12 at 4:13 pm

The Franklin Affair - Jim Lehrer

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/15/12 at 4:36 pm

We are listening to Zorro by Isabel Allende.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 02/16/12 at 4:11 am

We are listening to Zorro by Isabel Allende.

Cat

I Love Isabel Allende.  I read The Stories of Eva Luna, then carried the book around with me for a week just to have it close to me.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/16/12 at 8:48 am

I Love Isabel Allende.  I read The Stories of Eva Luna, then carried the book around with me for a week just to have it close to me.

I think SIL has read ALL her books. Unfortunately, not all are translated into English. (SIL is fluent in Spanish so she can read the ones which are not). The only other one that I have read was "House of the Spirits." We have the audiobook "Ines of my Soul" for the trip home (after we finish up Zorro).

I do love audiobooks.

Cat

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/16/12 at 9:10 am

I'm reading a few books right now:

The Delight Makers by Adolf Bandelier - Bandelier was a prominent Archaeologist in the late 19th century, and wrote historical fiction about the people he studied.  Not too far into it yet, but it has been said that he (and the book) are one of the most accurate depictors of early Pueblo life.

Women Who Love Too Much by Robin Norwood - The classic self-help book about learning to love yourself and recognize why and how you are attracted to impossible men.

Into the Darkness by Barbara Michaels - a good mystery - for those times when I don't feel like thinking too hard.  ;)

Written By: Mat1991 on 02/17/12 at 7:58 pm

A Mighty Long Way - an autobiography written by Carlotta Walls LaNier, one of the nine black students who integrated an all-white high school in Little Rock, Arkansas, in the late 1950s.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 02/27/12 at 9:28 am

Lives of the Twins by Rosamond Smith

Written By: Henk on 02/27/12 at 9:47 am

King Solomon's Carpet by Barbara Vine (= Ruth Rendell) - but I can't seem to finish it. :-\\

Written By: Jessica on 02/27/12 at 10:05 pm

I've never finished The Lord of the Rings, so I've started over.  I figured it was time. :D

Written By: danootaandme on 02/28/12 at 11:10 am

Parable of the Talents - Octavia Butler

Written By: Jessica on 02/28/12 at 1:23 pm

Parable of the Talents - Octavia Butler

Just looked this up.  More books to add to my reading list. :D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/28/12 at 5:04 pm

Just finished a book called Seldom Seen: A Journey Across The Great Plains by Patrick Dobson.

Very good depiction of the rural Midwest and mountain states.  :)

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 03/20/12 at 5:20 pm

The Mirage by Matt Ruff

Written By: danootaandme on 03/20/12 at 6:51 pm

Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius - Dave Eggers

Written By: danootaandme on 03/27/12 at 2:47 pm

Dubliners - James Joyce

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/27/12 at 5:54 pm

The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher - for like the 10th time!  lol

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 04/08/12 at 6:42 pm

I'm Losing You by Bruce Wagner

Written By: Mat1991 on 04/10/12 at 7:09 pm

I'm currently reading Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. The edition I'm reading is 466 pages long, and I'm currently on page 247. I'm enjoying it very much so far. It's probably one of the best books I've ever read.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 04/14/12 at 6:53 pm

Unholy Night by Seth Grahame-Smith

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 04/23/12 at 10:32 pm

I just purchased The Hunger Games after seeing the movie a few nights ago. I don't usually do that, however, I really felt that it was a good idea for a story, but the movie just... didn't do it for me. I'm hoping that there is more character development in the book, because I felt like the movie was lacking a certain something.

Written By: Tam on 04/23/12 at 10:34 pm

I just purchased The Hunger Games after seeing the movie a few nights ago. I don't usually do that, however, I really felt that it was a good idea for a story, but the movie just... didn't do it for me. I'm hoping that there is more character development in the book, because I felt like the movie was lacking a certain something.

The book is a lot better.
I haven't seen the movie yet, but of my friends who have read it then watched the movie... they weren't overly impressed.
And the book has to be great since my husband actually sat down and read it! ;)

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 04/23/12 at 10:44 pm

The book is a lot better.
I haven't seen the movie yet, but of my friends who have read it then watched the movie... they weren't overly impressed.
And the book has to be great since my husband actually sat down and read it! ;)

I'm really excited for this semester to end so I can start reading for pleasure again. I'm looking forward to starting it; it's been sitting on my nightstand, just tempting me, but I know that if I start reading it now, I won't be able to stop and it's so hard for me to get anything done when I'm in the middle of a good book.

Written By: Tam on 04/23/12 at 10:52 pm

I'm really excited for this semester to end so I can start reading for pleasure again. I'm looking forward to starting it; it's been sitting on my nightstand, just tempting me, but I know that if I start reading it now, I won't be able to stop and it's so hard for me to get anything done when I'm in the middle of a good book.

You are preaching to the choir Girl!
I have caught myself up until 5 in the morning because I am so engrossed in the book I am reading. I can't even tell you how many times that has happened., or how many times Hubby has come home from work to no dinner made because my face was caught in a book all day! lol Good choice waiting until the end of the semester. 8)

Written By: danootaandme on 04/24/12 at 4:03 am

I'm currently reading Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. The edition I'm reading is 466 pages long, and I'm currently on page 247. I'm enjoying it very much so far. It's probably one of the best books I've ever read.

After that consider "The Wide Sargasso Sea" by Jean Rhys.  It is very good, and gives the story from Rochester's wife's point of view.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/24/12 at 12:25 pm

Finished listening to "Ines Of My Soul" by Isabel Allende.

Cat

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 05/07/12 at 4:22 pm

Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons

Written By: Mat1991 on 05/11/12 at 11:46 pm

I finished reading Learning Curves: Body Image and Female Sexuality in Young Adult Literature, by Beth Younger, yesterday. Since I've just started summer break, I'm looking for another book to occupy myself with.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/12/12 at 12:07 am

Right now I'm reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.  It's really changed my perspective on the German people during WWII. 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/21/12 at 9:25 am

I am currently reading Like Dandelion Dust by Karen Kingsbury.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/21/12 at 10:52 am

Listening to "The Firm" by John Grisham.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 05/24/12 at 7:27 am

The Proud Tower - Barbara Tuchman

Written By: meesa on 05/24/12 at 9:19 am

Just finished Emma~Jane Austen (a yearly thing)
Now starting Good Omens~Terry Pratchett

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 05/27/12 at 6:52 pm

Spring Moon by Betty Bao Lord

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/27/12 at 10:12 pm

I'm reading book #7 of the collected issues of The Walking Dead comics.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/27/12 at 11:07 pm

A Smile as Big as the Moon: A Special Education Teacher, His Class, and Their Inspiring Journey Through U.S. Space Camp
By: Mike Kersjes and Joe Layden

Saw the Hallmark movie (it was excellent), so I had to get the book, too. :)

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 06/13/12 at 5:17 am

The Secret History by Donna Tartt

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/13/12 at 8:39 am

They Almost Always Come Home by Cynthia Ruchti

Written By: Mat1991 on 06/13/12 at 9:10 am

Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl, definitive edition.

I'm also skimming through A Vindication of the Rights of Woman by Mary Wollstonecraft.

Written By: karen on 06/13/12 at 10:18 am

Now starting Good Omens~Terry Pratchett

How cool, I'm reading the same book!

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 06/28/12 at 3:58 pm

Rules of Civility by Amor Towles

Written By: danootaandme on 06/28/12 at 7:17 pm

Lark Rise to Candleford Trilogy - Flora Thompson.......Like the show, love the book

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/29/12 at 12:32 pm

Listening to The Pelican Brief by John Grisham.

Cat

Written By: karen on 06/29/12 at 4:22 pm

Just about to finish the last twilight book again

Written By: Mat1991 on 07/07/12 at 3:28 am

Freedom Summer by Bruce Watson. It's a nonfiction account on the summer of 1964 when college students from all over the United States converged on Mississippi to get African Americans living there registered to vote.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 07/12/12 at 5:29 pm

Gold: A Novel by Chris Cleave

Written By: danootaandme on 07/14/12 at 9:16 pm

Freedom Summer by Bruce Watson. It's a nonfiction account on the summer of 1964 when college students from all over the United States converged on Mississippi to get African Americans living there registered to vote.

I remember that.  It was an interesting absolutely awful time.

Written By: Mat1991 on 07/15/12 at 7:51 pm

I remember that.  It was an interesting absolutely awful time.

Oh, I agree. "Damn those Yankees! Comin' down here tryin' to tell us to start treatin' Negroes like human beings! I ain't gon' stand for none of that!" *spits tobacco*

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 08/04/12 at 8:39 am

Funeral Games by Mary Renault

Written By: danootaandme on 08/04/12 at 6:33 pm

The Works of Herman Melville(including Moby Dick) 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/04/12 at 6:41 pm

Just finished listening to The Chamber (John Grisham). We are going to give John Grisham a break and move on to another author for a while. The next in the queue will be The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald-followed by some stories by Ray Bradbury. All of that is for the car trip we are taking tomorrow.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 08/05/12 at 5:58 am

Just finished listening to The Chamber (John Grisham). We are going to give John Grisham a break and move on to another author for a while. The next in the queue will be The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald-followed by some stories by Ray Bradbury. All of that is for the car trip we are taking tomorrow.

Cat

I reread Gatsby about a year ago and liked it even more.  Ray....Fahrenheit 451 is the be all and end all.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/06/12 at 12:55 pm

I reread Gatsby about a year ago and liked it even more.  Ray....Fahrenheit 451 is the be all and end all.

These were just some of his short stories.

I really love audiobooks. They are great. And they do make long trips a lot shorter.

Cat

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 08/06/12 at 3:53 pm

12/21 by Dustin Thomason

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 08/26/12 at 10:17 am

The Trinity Game by Sean Chercover

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/27/12 at 4:54 pm

Listening to the Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck.

Cat

Written By: karen on 08/30/12 at 6:32 am

50 Shades of Grey

Written By: Mat1991 on 08/31/12 at 10:13 am

The Purity Myth: How America's Obsession with Virginity is Hurting Young Women by Jessica Valenti

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/10/12 at 3:21 pm

Just finished listening to Journey To The Interior Of The Earth-Jules Verne and now we have started Charlie & The Chocolate Factory-Roald Dahl. 

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 09/10/12 at 7:18 pm

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/618JAjlk5AL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Written By: Jessica on 09/11/12 at 6:39 pm

So the phone that I picked up last month (yay free!) has a Kindle app, and I've been going absolutely nutso with public domain books.  Right now I'm re-reading "Heidi" by Johanna Spyri.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 09/15/12 at 7:33 am

The Fifth Child by Doris Lessing

Written By: danootaandme on 09/15/12 at 8:59 am

Old Landmarks and Historic Personages of Boston - Samuel Adams Drake

Written By: belmont22 on 09/17/12 at 10:12 pm

The Fellowship Of The Ring.  8)

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 09/19/12 at 5:27 pm

Gravity by Tess Gerritsen

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 09/23/12 at 5:08 am

Cyndi Lauper: A Memoir by Cyndi Lauper

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/23/12 at 8:22 pm

Listening to Moby Dick.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/02/12 at 10:49 am

We are still listening to Moby Dick and I don't think we are going to finish it. I LOVED the movie. It is a great story but he (Melville) rarely tells the story. He keeps going on & on & on about the definition of a whale, different kinds of whales, etc. etc. Several LONG chapters on all of this (and I don't know how to fast forward our MP3 player).

Also, if the story is told by Ishmael, how does he know what Starbuck is thinking? I know the book is supposed to be a classic but I am finding that I'm not really impressed with it. But, I still LOVE the movie.

Cat 

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 10/09/12 at 3:39 pm

To the End of the Land by David Grossman

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 10/12/12 at 10:12 am

My book, Evangeline, Alive & Well: A Story of Hope in Haiti in a new Kindle version!

http://www.amazon.com/Evangeline-Alive-Well-Story-ebook/dp/B009PCGQ8Y/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1350054406&sr=1-2&keywords=evangeline+alive+and+well+a+story+of+hope+in+haiti

Written By: danootaandme on 10/13/12 at 2:15 am

Heading to the library today for

http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1334590418l/13083008.jpg

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 10/13/12 at 3:54 pm

The Unburied by Charles Palliser

Written By: danootaandme on 10/13/12 at 4:51 pm

Heading to the library today for

http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1334590418l/13083008.jpg

Couldn't get it, on hold or out in every library in the system.  Got some Roddy Doyle instead.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 10/31/12 at 4:55 am

State of Fear by Michael Crichton

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Yx36gYhsL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Written By: danootaandme on 10/31/12 at 5:06 am

As I Lay Dying - William Faulkner

I'm giving Faulkner one more try, then I'm giving up

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/31/12 at 12:14 pm

We are listening to The Partner-John Grisham

Cat

Written By: meesa on 10/31/12 at 12:50 pm

reading 2 right now:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-u1S-z932ph8/UFnAsQ-pEdI/AAAAAAAAAuU/ZdEmFYmNeIQ/s1600/foolmoon.jpg
and

http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1331741952l/13459547.jpg
and am anxiously waiting for Kim's newest (Ever After, Book 11 Hollows Series) to come out in January.

Written By: warped on 12/03/12 at 5:43 pm

"Under an Afghan sky" - Mellissa Fung

In 2008, Canadian journalist (with CBC news)  Mellissa Fung survived 28 days in captivity after being kidnapped by bandits while on assignment in Afghanistan.

The kidnapping occurred two days before the 2008 Canadian federal election, and CBC requested a press blackout while negotiations were conducted with the kidnappers, out of concern that widespread media coverage would complicate matters. Though the incident was covered in Afghan press. The blackout was honoured by all Canadian media and Fung's kidnapping remained generally unknown within Canada.  Fung was finally released on November 8, 2008 after weeks of negotiations, as part of a prisoner exchange.

Written By: belmont22 on 12/03/12 at 5:59 pm

Just finished Death of the Liberal Class by Chris Hedges.

Written By: wildcard on 12/03/12 at 6:37 pm

A while ago , John had handed me The Hunger Games and now I'm in the second book.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/06/13 at 8:21 am

Lunatics by Dave Barry and Alan Zweibel. It is totally absurd but totally funny. I just learned that there is going to be a movie based on the book.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 02/06/13 at 4:15 pm

The World That Made New Orleans -From Spanish Silver To Congo Square.  By Ned Sublette

there is more to New Orleans than Mardi Gras.  ;)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/06/13 at 10:46 pm

The Hobbit since it's been a few years since my last read of it and the movie came out so I wanted to be up to speed on the story

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/06/13 at 10:49 pm

Beyond Opinion by Ravi Zacharias

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/08/13 at 8:37 pm

Just finished a couple that I liked, Dan Browns "Angles and Demons" and "The lost Empire of Atlantis" (it was the Minoans) Brown was a great read, the other was interesting and thought provoking.  Also recently read "Why People Believe Weird Things" - also a good read.  a Now about 1/2 wy through "Aztec"  a novel witch lots of historical accuracy 

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/09/13 at 10:05 pm

Just read a neat short story by Isaac Asimov called "The Last Question." Written in 1956, Asimov said that it was his favorite of all his short stories.

It can easily be found online (I'd post a link but I'm at work and posting on my phone), it takes about 10-15 minutes to read and it's worth it. (Just don't skip to the end!  ;) )

Written By: Mat1991 on 02/11/13 at 8:04 pm

Gone With The Wind. I started reading it in October and now I have less than 200 pages left to read. It's the longest book I've ever read, but I've really enjoyed it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/12/13 at 5:37 pm

Gone With The Wind. I started reading it in October and now I have less than 200 pages left to read. It's the longest book I've ever read, but I've really enjoyed it.

I read that a long time ago. Yeah, it is a LONG book-but a good one, even if it isn't historically correct.

Cat

Written By: warped on 02/22/13 at 1:07 pm

"Jesus has left the building" - Paul Vieira

2nd time I read it. Paul talks about how he left the institutional church and what God is doing outside the church. Tired of going to church? This book might be for you.   

"Crossing the line" - Derek Sanderson

Derek talks about his pro hockey career and his downward spiral into the world of alcoholism & drugs. Meh, it's was OK read.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/22/13 at 1:48 pm

I'm reading a story that a friend wrote. I'm enjoying it A LOT!!!!

Cat

Written By: warped on 02/22/13 at 2:14 pm

I'm reading a story that a friend wrote. I'm enjoying it A LOT!!!!

Cat

I think your friend is an amazing person. :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/22/13 at 2:56 pm

I think your friend is an amazing person. :D

So do I.  ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: karen on 05/19/13 at 11:30 am

I just finished reading Nobody Ever Has Sex on a Tuesday by a friend of mine Tracey Bloom.

It is a good piece of chick-lit.  Funny, with good believable characters, I found it hard to put down.  However I'm not sure all the situations would translate from UK to US

Written By: danootaandme on 05/23/13 at 7:41 am

The Scapegoat - Daphne duMaurier  I have not read anything by her, I shall give it a try.

Written By: meesa on 05/23/13 at 10:34 am

Primal Leadership by Daniel Goleman for work purposes
Going to start on Gatsby this weekend.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/01/13 at 6:09 am

Primal Leadership by Daniel Goleman for work purposes
Going to start on Gatsby this weekend.

Love "The Great Gatsby"  Read it about 30 years ago, re-read it about a year(or so) ago, still loved it.  I have always been a fan of Fitzgerald.

Written By: Mat1991 on 06/01/13 at 6:23 pm

I started reading To Kill a Mockingbird almost two months ago but that's been on hiatus since April. I should have read it in high school, but, what do you know? I didn't.  :P

Written By: warped on 09/04/13 at 3:29 pm

Biographies on Barbara Eden, Florence Henderson and Meredith Baxter, and "Psychological Types" by Carl Jung.

Written By: Katluver on 09/04/13 at 9:43 pm

Just finished reading Jacqueline Susann's "Valley of the Dolls". So disgusted and upset about the ending.

Written By: Henk on 09/05/13 at 4:14 am

King Solomon's Carpet by Barbara Vine (= Ruth Rendell) - but I can't seem to finish it. :-\\

Still not finished reading!

Written By: apollonia1986 on 09/05/13 at 1:46 pm

It's not "really" a book but I've found a great website that lets me download old Photoplay magazines from 1914-1943. It's sensational reading actual articles about the old stars I like. Its full mags, with all the old advertisements too. Its like stepping back in time.

And I'm already benefitting from the antique beauty tips!  ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 09/05/13 at 6:39 pm

The Sense of an Ending - Julian Barnes

Written By: Mat1991 on 09/06/13 at 1:21 am

I started reading the Harry Potter series in earnest back in late July (coinciding with the titular character's birthday). I've had all but one of the books stuffed away in my room for years, I figured I might as well read them sooner or later (especially considering that To Kill a Mockingbird was not doing anything for me, so I've since shelved it).

Currently, I'm on Goblet of Fire, which I am almost finished with (I'm at the part where the third task is about to commence). It's such an amazing series, even if I do know what's going to happen, since I've seen most of the movies already.

Written By: loki 13 on 09/15/13 at 7:39 pm

The Cuckoo's Calling...Robert Galbraith aka J.K. Rowling.

Written By: Mat1991 on 09/16/13 at 8:59 pm

I started reading Bram Stoker's Dracula today. I'm trying to get in the spirit for Halloween.  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...