inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: TV networks that have improved and/or have never gone sour...

Written By: woops on 03/17/09 at 1:39 pm

Inspired from a thread from Toon Zone, where I just read threads

Is there any networks you think have improved and/or those that never gone sour unlike MTV,VH1,  Disney Channel, Nickelodeon, etc.

1. TCM

While I'm not into classic films, they still mostly air movies from the early/mid 20th century and also commercial free. Also occasional short subjects.

I actually liked  "Cartoon Alley" which showcased theatrical animation from Warner Bros. & MGM . It didn't last long.

Not sure if it was complaints about the cartoons being edited or lack of viewers. Though there's a showcase for Chuck Jones on the 24th.  :)

Boomerang should bring back Looney Toons.

2. WGN

While majority of the network/cable stations only air repeats of shows that goes back to the early '90's, WGN actually airs "Bewitched", "I Dream Of Jeannie", and "Honeymooners".

For wrestling fans, the WWE Superstars will air on Thursday in April. For animation fans, "Rocky & Bullwinkle", the '60's cartoon series, will also air.   8) 

Somewhat reminds me of UHF stations before they were taken over by WB &  UPN (now CW)

Honestly, I don't know what the network was like, but know it's Chicago based. Though it's mostly repeats and movies. "Soul Train" used to air, but now been cancelled for a few years and "Best of" episodes shown for about two years until about last year.

Honestly, can't thnk of any more...

Subject: Re: TV networks that have improved and/or have never gone sour...

Written By: snozberries on 03/17/09 at 4:35 pm

TVLAND....

When it started it was a network for the tv lover showing rarely seen classics like Donna Reed, My Three Sons, Dennis the Menace, Patty Duke and Leave it to Beaver (fortunately they still air beaver).  Now they air shows you can find on TBS,  WGN, OXYGN, BET and TV ONE like Roseanne (tho I love Roseanne, Home Improvement, Fresh Prince, Cosby, Full House and Family Matters... only two of these series I find entertaining and I've already named one.

Most recently tho- the most vile practice of all... they stopped round the clock programming. Now TV Land. The home for lovers of TV shows.... airs infomercials for a couple of hours in the wee early hours of the morning... why?  WHY?!??!?!  I'm a near insomniac....meaning I don't sleep much and my sleep is thoroughly dependent upon what's on TV... I cannot sleep to crap. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/17/09 at 4:47 pm

TCM just shows the same films again and again.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/17/09 at 5:55 pm

Rachel and Keith on MSNBC!

8)

Written By: whistledog on 03/17/09 at 8:27 pm

Game TV, a channel in Canada that is similar to GSN, only the majority of the game shows they air are Canadian made.  I can watch some old classics like...

'Love Me, Love Me Not' with Ross Shaffer
'The Joke's on Us' with Monty Hall
'Love Handles' with Stu Jeffries
'Acting Crazy' with Wayne Cox

and that long forgotten classic 'Just Like Mom' as hosted by Fergie Olver and Catherine Swing

Check for new replies or respond here...