inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Milli Vanilli

Written By: Mudbug on 03/24/09 at 5:19 pm

So did you get your money back?

From http://www.thisdayinmusic.com

March 24th, 1992, a Chicago court settled the Milli Vanilli class action suit by approving cash rebates of up to $3 (£1.76) to anyone proving they bought the group’s music before November 27 1990, the date the lip synching scandal broke.

Milli Vanilli won the 1989 best new artist Grammy after hits like "Blame it on the Rain" and "Girl, You Know It's True," selling 30 million singles and 14 million albums. But in late 1990, the performers were stripped of the award after it was revealed that neither actually sang on the Milli Vanilli album.

Subject: Re: Milli Vanilli

Written By: Midas on 03/24/09 at 5:29 pm

Nope.  Still have my MV records.  Three 12" singles and the LP.  Girl, you know it's true. :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/24/09 at 5:39 pm

Nope.  Still have my MV records.  Three 12" singles and the LP.  Girl, you know it's true. :D
How much are they worth (on ebay)?

Written By: Dagwood on 03/24/09 at 5:47 pm

Still a good song.

Written By: coqueta83 on 03/24/09 at 7:55 pm

I never bought this album. I considered it a few times during their peak but end up buying another cassette that I wanted more.

Written By: whistledog on 03/24/09 at 11:27 pm

I never had the album when it was popular, but I listened to the songs on the radio.  Regardless of who was singing, I still love 'Girl You Know It's True'

In the late 90s, Keith and Shane (of the group Boyzone) did a cool cover version, and added lyrics that basically slammed other acts that were in the charts:  "When the lights go out, 5ive better watch out"; "Westlife, lowlife, go and get your own life"; "Ali G comes before H don't you know" LOL

Written By: SuperDupper on 03/25/09 at 4:48 pm

i think i still have there cassette somewherel, i wonder where they are now

Written By: Dagwood on 03/25/09 at 9:17 pm

i think i still have there cassette somewherel, i wonder where they are now

One of them committed suicide a few years ago.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/26/09 at 1:05 pm

I'll always have a special place in my heart for Milli Vanilli...lip synching and all.

Written By: Midas on 03/26/09 at 2:21 pm

How much are they worth (on ebay)?

From what I see on eBay, about as much or less than what I bought them at ($3.99 USD for the 12" singles, $9.99 USD for the LP). :D

I like the songs.  Everyone thought "Girl You Know It's True" was the def joint back in the day.  We got stupid to it.  WORD.

Written By: woops on 03/28/09 at 7:07 pm

"Baby Don't Loose My Number" is unintentionally funny  :D

Written By: anabel on 03/28/09 at 7:56 pm

I called them Silli Vanilli then.  Still do.

Written By: whistledog on 03/28/09 at 9:30 pm

I remember before online auction sites really took off, Amazon.com had the Milli Vanilli albums for like $89 each.  I wonder if anyone ever paid that?

Written By: Step-chan on 03/28/09 at 9:58 pm

Never bought Milli Vanilli, didn't really care for their music.

Oh, did you know that Milli Vanilli was on one of the Super Mario cartoons? At first it had the song "Girl, you know it's true" on it, but then after it was revealed that they lip-synched, the song was taken out of the episode(which plays, though not in it's entirety, twice I think).

I'll see if I can find it here shortly.

Written By: Step-chan on 03/28/09 at 10:05 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyTB1iyebwc

^

Here it is.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/30/09 at 2:58 pm

I remember before online auction sites really took off, Amazon.com had the Milli Vanilli albums for like $89 each.  I wonder if anyone ever paid that?

I see the Hansa import of "Baby Don't Forget My Number" for $99.98.  I won't forget that number!
But you can find yourself some good 'nili on Amazon for five bucks no prob.
:D

Written By: Paul on 03/30/09 at 3:04 pm

Still amazes me to this day what a HUGE furore this adventure caused in the States, but I suppose the fact that a Grammy was involved probably had a lot to do with it!

I can just about stomach the first hit, but everything else was just dross... :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/30/09 at 8:46 pm

Still amazes me to this day what a HUGE furore this adventure caused in the States, but I suppose the fact that a Grammy was involved probably had a lot to do with it!

I can just about stomach the first hit, but everything else was just dross... :P

I was the only one who thought M-V should have kept their Grammy.  It was like taking away Mickey Mouse's Oscar because we found out he wasn't a real mouse. 
::)

Written By: Midas on 03/31/09 at 4:05 pm

Probably.  There wasn't as much controversy for Black Box and C+C Music Factory for using stand-ins in their videos to lip-synch Martha Wash's vocals...

Check for new replies or respond here...