inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best Pitchman?

Written By: Echo Nomad on 04/01/09 at 12:16 am

Content Removed

Subject: Re: Best Pitchman?

Written By: snozberries on 04/01/09 at 12:47 am

what about tony.... the exercise guy?

or paul from Men's wearhouse?

Written By: snozberries on 04/01/09 at 12:58 am

There, I added Tony! I forgot about him! However wouldn't Paul (you're gonna like the way you look) from Men's warehouse be more of a spokesman? To be a pitchmen is meaning a guy hyping random products, usually with an audience or in front of a crowd. Men's warehouse is a formal commercial.

I'll right I'll give you that....

I think I have to go with Billy Mays just because I actually saw him endorsing an insurance company and I thought if the Oxy Clean guy can get people to buy insurance he must be good!

Written By: whistledog on 04/01/09 at 1:38 am

I always liked Barry Scott, only because I just love saying "BAM! ... AND THE DIRT IS GONE!" lol

Written By: Lindee on 04/01/09 at 7:04 pm

Tony Little

Written By: snozberries on 04/01/09 at 7:06 pm

Tony Little

yeah him... tony little

Written By: anabel on 04/05/09 at 3:59 pm

Is Vince Shamchop the THAM WOW guy?    If he is, I wouldn't buy anything from him.

Billy Mays is thoroughly annoying-he lives down here in St. Pete and one of the morning radio DJ's has a feud going on with him about his products being garbage.  It's funny, the show tests the products and you see that they fail, then Billy gets mad.  Good radio!

I personally like those little cartoon men from Empire.  They lay the carpet and wood floor down and are like "Ta-Da!" And the jingle? "800-588-2300, Empiiiiirrreeee"
Love it!  I wanna buy flooring from them!! That's been the exact same jingle track since I was a kid and watched Bozo's Circus on WGN Chicago.

Written By: Womble on 04/05/09 at 5:46 pm

I'd have voted for 'Josephine the Plumber' had she been an option. The 'Shake-N-Bake' Butcher (I forgot his name) would be my 2nd choice.

Written By: statsqueen on 04/05/09 at 7:15 pm

Billy Mays is thoroughly annoying-he lives down here in St. Pete and one of the morning radio DJ's has a feud going on with him about his products being garbage.  It's funny, the show tests the products and you see that they fail, then Billy gets mad.  Good radio!

I personally like those little cartoon men from Empire.  They lay the carpet and wood floor down and are like "Ta-Da!" And the jingle? "800-588-2300, Empiiiiirrreeee"
Love it!   I wanna buy flooring from them!! That's been the exact same jingle track since I was a kid and watched Bozo's Circus on WGN Chicago.

I love St. Pete.  Whenever I go to FL, it's Anna Maria Island.

I used to watch WGN Chicago when I was growing up (yeah, Bozo, too--my brother even won as the name drawn and the kid hit all 6 buckets) and was floored when I saw the Empire commercial with the same dude and the same jingle!  It's like I was sent back in time. 

Written By: anabel on 04/05/09 at 9:12 pm

I love St. Pete.  Whenever I go to FL, it's Anna Maria Island.

I used to watch WGN Chicago when I was growing up (yeah, Bozo, too--my brother even won as the name drawn and the kid hit all 6 buckets) and was floored when I saw the Empire commercial with the same dude and the same jingle!  It's like I was sent back in time. 

GET OUT!!!!!!!
We go to Anna Maria Island at least two or three times a month!  We parasail off Bradenton Beach, and Manatee beach is our favorite place to spend a day.  Have you been to any of those spots?  Isn't the water gorgeous there?  We also love the white sugar sand. It's like being in the Carribbean!  My family usually comes down and gets a beach house on Longboat Key for a week and we join them when we can, but it's only about a 40 minute drive for us, so we go as often as possible.  It's cool to "meet" someone else who appreciates Anna Maria too!  :)

My Mom took me to the Bozo show a couple of times but I never got to play the Grand Prize Game.  That's cool your brother won!  I don't remember many kids actually winning that thing!  It was harder than it looked!  ;)

Written By: gumbypiz on 04/05/09 at 9:21 pm

Oh man, how can you overlook one of the greatest pitchman ever known!?  ???

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2008-01/35037305.jpg

JOE ISUZU!!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/06/09 at 12:37 pm

I had to vote for Billy Mays. Yes, he is very annoying...but he believes in those products...even if they happen not to work. ;D

Written By: whistledog on 04/06/09 at 5:39 pm

Oh man, how can you overlook one of the greatest pitchman ever known!?  ???

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2008-01/35037305.jpg

JOE ISUZU!!

Hey, it's Charlie Deats :D

Written By: Mushroom on 04/06/09 at 10:16 pm

I had to vote for Ron.  Not only did he pitch the products, he owned the company and invented them.

And Weird Al did a cool song about him.

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/07/09 at 1:37 am

If we're talking "best pitchman of all time", it'd be Ron Popeil, for all the reasons Mushroom listed.

But I had to click it for Vince.  After decades of stagnation, he somehow had the magic combination of cheeziness and insanity that made the informercial genre funny again.  For that, I had to give the man his props.

Check for new replies or respond here...