inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What was the first "Amazing" world event you remember

Written By: Frank on 04/11/09 at 12:45 am

Marty McFly gave me this idea, instead of a "bad" event, for me it's "positive" or "amazing" event.

For myself, on the local stage, it woudl be Expo '67, growing up in Montreal.

But as far as world events go, my first amazing event was July 20, 1969, Neil Armstong takes his first step on the moon. Most of the kids my age wanted to become astronauts.

Was there a greater event in the 20th century?
What the first AMAZING event you remember (and plz don't say it happened in the back seat of a car  ;)

Subject: Re: What was the first "Amazing" world event you remember

Written By: Davester on 04/11/09 at 1:04 am

First amazing event.  I assume you m,ean a positive event.  Why can't I think of any... ???

When the hostages were released..?

...my first amazing event was July 20, 1969, Neil Armstong takes his first step on the moon. Most of the kids my age wanted to become astronauts.

And after January 28, 1986 most of the kids my age didn't... :P

Written By: Red Ant on 04/11/09 at 2:27 am

And after January 28, 1986 most of the kids my age didn't... :P

I remember that like it was yesterday. You're right: at 10, I did want to be an astronaut. By 10 1/2, one of my dreams was gone. At the time, I thought it inconceivable that something so majestic and so well engineered could fail. Looking back at it now, it doesn't surprise me that a govt agency killed seven people and destroyed a $$$$ piece of machinery over a lousy O-ring that they knew wouldn't properly seal in cold weather.

Anyway... positive world events, well, the fall of the Berlin wall.

Ant

Written By: Davester on 04/11/09 at 3:52 am

I remember that like it was yesterday. You're right: at 10, I did want to be an astronaut. By 10 1/2, one of my dreams was gone. At the time, I thought it inconceivable that something so majestic and so well engineered could fail. Looking back at it now, it doesn't surprise me that a govt agency killed seven people and destroyed a $$$$ piece of machinery over a lousy O-ring that they knew wouldn't properly seal in cold weather.

Anyway... positive world events, well, the fall of the Berlin wall.

Ant

:)

Alright,  there's one!  Nothing short of amazing, too.  The inconceivable actually happening.  Another could be the hope embodied by the Polish Solidarity labor movement.  Lech Walesa and the Polish people fought the good fight, and won.  A prelude to the slipping Soviet grip on Europe.  Another - the fall of Apartheid in South Africa.  Bishop Tutu.  Zindzi Mandela.  School teacher Krista McAulliffe .  The Tiananmen Square tank guy.  As young people growing-up in such a turbulent time it's notable that our heroes weren't Superman or Uncle Sam.  They were the tragic and oppressed of the time who fought, sometimes died and eventually rose above...

On another note, I can't say anybody I knew ever aspired to become, when they grew-up, an astronaut, president, a senator, a congressman, a governor, a soldier, a fireman, a police officer, an ambassador, a singing cowboy, Davey Crockett or any such noble personages of times past.  My best friend used to talk about becoming a "scientist in order to help fight pollution", as he put it.  I think I aspired to be a Raiders quarterback or a truck driver... 

The best, most amazing times are perhaps when disasters in the news are at a minimum.  The default state of the world is 'suck'.  Things either suck more or don't suck as much.  Not really...

There's a sort-of related topic on my tiny little mind which was inspired by a conversation I had in the local coffee shop last week.  About high school courses in the 2000s.  If it jells I may just inflict it upon y'all...

Written By: loki 13 on 04/11/09 at 7:56 am

For me, it would also have to be the moon landing.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/11/09 at 8:26 am

1962-1970 was one long main event. 

Written By: gibbo on 04/11/09 at 9:34 am

It's strange but the Moon landing was my first big positive memory as well. Although, the Berlin Wall coming down (with Hazelhoff belting out a tune  ;D) is more significant to me.

The end of the Vietnam War was also a biggy...

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/11/09 at 4:21 pm

We went to see Haley's comet...and it was supposed to be totally amazing, but I couldn't see a damn thing.  Our family climbed up a mountain at God knows what time in the morning...my dad had a telescope and it was freezing cold.  He had us all look through and he was so excited.  I thought that the comet was going to be this big huge thing, but it wasn't any bigger than a star as far as I could see.  I wish I would have been a little older so I could have know what I was looking for.  (I was 5 or 6.)  I mostly remember being so happy because when we got back to the car my mom had hot chocolate and donuts waiting.  She ruled.  ;D

The next amazing thing would have to be the Berlin Wall coming down.  Very cool indeed.

Written By: seamermar on 04/11/09 at 4:27 pm

Taking into account that moon is far from earth I wouldn't be sure if "landing on the moon" is a world event Gibbo, :)(J/K)  as usual though.

I have to say, as for me, it was the change from  military dictatorship 8-P into democracy, thanks goodness !!.
From then on, we could thrive and grow in liberty,  but seeing how many  lies fly across our countries I'm not sure of any country has ever had a real democracy but a kinda economy dictatorship.

I know you have to take the bitter with the sweet. But I guess some greedy speculator is taking my share of sweet.

By the time I was a teenager, looking for new rhythms and songs, probably it was a big bang.
We change our manners, our music and our lives in just a few years.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/11/09 at 4:43 pm

Good question. :) Funny thing is, it's almost harder to think of that, then it is to think of a shattering or negative world event. There was so much happening in the world in like 1990-1993 I think it would be hard to be oblivious to it (even as a kid). I remember Clinton's election and was just starting to become aware of politics then, I remember he was the first politician who could hold my interest with his speeches.

Written By: Frank on 04/11/09 at 5:05 pm

Good question. :) Funny thing is, it's almost harder to think of that, then it is to think of a shattering or negative world event. .

Exactly what I thought and I anticipated the response here to be lower. Other than those events already mentioned, it's had to find too many "positive" world events in the last 40 years. (or an event than one considers positive)

Live aid in 1985 is one.
Capturing of Sadaam Hussein is another.
Apollo ( I forget which one, maybe #13) almsot not making it back, but did!
The end of the Vietnam war

Written By: whistledog on 04/11/09 at 5:18 pm

Not sure how much of a world event this was, but it changed the face of a popular sport and I remember it oh so well ...

In 1984, during a Championship Match at Madison Square Garden, Hulk Hogan broke loose from the Iron Sheik's signature Camel Clutch (which no one had ever done before) and defeated him to become the WWF World Heavyweight Champion of Wrestling.  That night, Hulkamania was born and made wrestling a popular mainstay, not just for fans of wrestling, but for those who had never watched wrestling before.    

Written By: Frank on 04/11/09 at 5:21 pm

Not sure how much of a world event this was, but it changed the face of a popular sport and I remember it oh so well ...

In 1984, during a Championship Match at Madison Square Garden, Hulk Hogan broke loose from the Iron Sheik's signature Camel Clutch (which no one had ever done before) and defeated him to become the WWF World Heavyweight Champion of Wrestling.  That night, Hulkamania was born and made wrestling a popular mainstay, not just for fans of wrestling, but for those who had never watched wrestling before.    

Uhh. I hated the Iron Sheik.
I remember a few years later when Hulk (sort of) picked up Andre the Giant and slammed him in a Wrestlemania. Apparently Andre weighed about 520 pounds back then.

Written By: tv on 04/11/09 at 5:54 pm

Good question. :) Funny thing is, it's almost harder to think of that, then it is to think of a shattering or negative world event. There was so much happening in the world in like 1990-1993 I think it would be hard to be oblivious to it (even as a kid). I remember Clinton's election and was just starting to become aware of politics then, I remember he was the first politician who could hold my interest with his speeches.
I miss Clinton. I didn't know it then but he was a good president.

Anyway the first event was the Berlin Wall coming down in 1989. I used to watch "Good Morning America" back then some before I went to school. I think I saw the footage of the Berlin Wall coming down on "Good Morning America" maybe.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/11/09 at 6:54 pm

one of those most amazing world events I remember was when The Beatles arrived in America in Feb. 1964  my birthday was 16 days later and I would turn a whole 8 years old & I got caught up in the mania at that young age.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S020mRLOFJ6B8BUzqjzbkF/SIG=12a21u449/EXP=1239580177/**http%3A//www.rarebeatles.com/photopg5/laser/ldfirusa.jpg

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S020wVLeFJoiAB5KOjzbkF/SIG=12bgbh5di/EXP=1239580309/**http%3A//www.squidooresources.com/beatles/edsullivan1.jpg

Written By: loki 13 on 04/11/09 at 7:06 pm

Taking into account that moon is far from earth I wouldn't be sure if "landing on the moon" is a world event Gibbo, :)(J/K)  as usual though.

Then why was the whole world watching?  ;)

It wasn't just the landing that made it special it was all the things leading up to it. The space race, the cold war were major world events that
led to the landing.

Written By: whistledog on 04/11/09 at 7:23 pm

First amazing world event?  When ChuckyG created inthe00s.  Everything else takes a backseat ;D

Written By: coqueta83 on 04/11/09 at 7:24 pm

The "We Are the World" event and "Hands Across America" ( <anybody remember that one?).

Written By: Dagwood on 04/11/09 at 8:34 pm

The release of the hostages in Iran.  The Berlin Wall coming down was another one.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/12/09 at 1:11 am

The "We Are the World" event and "Hands Across America" ( <anybody remember that one?).

yes, I totally remember that! I remember going to my grandma's house that day, and seeing everyone holding hands, swaying back and forth...for as long as my eyes could see. How cozy! :)

Written By: danootaandme on 04/12/09 at 5:31 am

The Beatles on Ed Sullivan

Written By: Michael C. on 04/12/09 at 9:58 am

I was watching TV with My Mom late at night.It was a hot night.She was watching Robert Kennedy,happy about His win.I remember Her commenting on how great it would've been if His Brother were still alive to see His accomplishment.Soon after that...total chaos and He too had been shot.I remember thinking about Martin Luther King ,whose death had recently happened and feeling afraid.

I put this in the "amazing" as opposed to the "bad" world event because I think it's then I realized...Life could be over anytime,anywhere.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/12/09 at 11:40 am

Marty McFly gave me this idea, instead of a "bad" event, for me it's "positive" or "amazing" event.

For myself, on the local stage, it woudl be Expo '67, growing up in Montreal.

But as far as world events go, my first amazing event was July 20, 1969, Neil Armstong takes his first step on the moon. Most of the kids my age wanted to become astronauts.

Was there a greater event in the 20th century?
What the first AMAZING event you remember (and plz don't say it happened in the back seat of a car  ;)

I went to Expo in Montreal but for me it was Expo '69. I DO remember going-there were monorails that would take you to 3 different islands. I remember that-that is only thing I remember about it.

Like I mentioned in the other thread, I do remember my mother telling me about the men walking on the moon. I ducked when she told me thinking they were right over head-like on the roof or something. I also remember the next day or two, I was outside and the moon was out but it was daylight. I looked up at the moon thinking, "Wow. There are people up there."

I remember that everything at that time was so space-oriented. The boys in the class would build rockets and "space food" was the "in thing". (I remember the Space Sticks & Tang.) As the boys were building their rockets, I was building "Alice's Restaurant".  :D ;D ;D ;D

I also remember the first Earth Day. I can't remember what we did to celebrate it-I think my class planted something.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/13/09 at 9:24 pm

I'd have to say for solid, comprehensive memories, the U.S. bicentennial in 1976. 

I was too young to remember the moon landings and in general the early '70s were a bummer.  We needed something to cheer us up so we milked the Spirit of '76 for everything we could get!  Before the Bicentennial, I mostly remember grumbling about Watergate and Vietnam, and jokes about Patty Hearst and Gerald Ford hitting his head!

1976 was Bicentennial everything.  It was the first real show of patriotism I remember.  Red-white-and-blue everywhere and that Fourth of July was especially grand.  My cynical big sister made a poster of a goofy Uncle Sam captioned: "Uncle Sam: 200 Years Old and Senile!" and parodied Anita Bryant.  I didn't know what "senile" meant or who Anita Bryant was and I didn't give a damn!  I was an American kid and I was proud of my country!  I loved the big flags, the streamers, the parades with giant floats, and the extra fancy fireworks displays!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/usa2.gif

My great-grandmother gave me a Bicentennial quarter and told it me to save it; it was a very special quarter and would be worth a lot of money someday.  I didn't believe her much and spent it on candy.
http://www.us-coin-values-advisor.com/images/1976-Bicentennial-Quarter-Rev.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/14/09 at 11:23 am

I'd have to say for solid, comprehensive memories, the U.S. bicentennial in 1976. 

I was too young to remember the moon landings and in general the early '70s were a bummer.  We needed something to cheer us up so we milked the Spirit of '76 for everything we could get!  Before the Bicentennial, I mostly remember grumbling about Watergate and Vietnam, and jokes about Patty Hearst and Gerald Ford hitting his head!

1976 was Bicentennial everything.  It was the first real show of patriotism I remember.  Red-white-and-blue everywhere and that Fourth of July was especially grand.  My cynical big sister made a poster of a goofy Uncle Sam captioned: "Uncle Sam: 200 Years Old and Senile!" and parodied Anita Bryant.  I didn't know what "senile" meant or who Anita Bryant was and I didn't give a damn!  I was an American kid and I was proud of my country!  I loved the big flags, the streamers, the parades with giant floats, and the extra fancy fireworks displays!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/usa2.gif

My great-grandmother gave me a Bicentennial quarter and told it me to save it; it was a very special quarter and would be worth a lot of money someday.  I didn't believe her much and spent it on candy.
http://www.us-coin-values-advisor.com/images/1976-Bicentennial-Quarter-Rev.jpg

Do you remember "200 Years Ago Today"? It was a 30 second thing they had in between shows giving a bit of history. Every night it was hosted by someone different.

BTW, your Bicentennial quarter wouldn't be worth too much today. In high grade it may be worth about $1. In SUPER HIGH GRADE it is only worth about $5. They made so many of them and many are still in circulation. We have found several of them in recent years.

I remember Anita Bryant getting hit in the face with a fruit pie because of her protest against gays.

Cat

Written By: Frank on 04/14/09 at 1:53 pm

Do you remember "200 Years Ago Today"? It was a 30 second thing they had in between shows giving a bit of history. Every night it was hosted by someone different.

Cat

Wasn't it called "A bicentennial minute"?

Written By: Tia on 04/14/09 at 2:03 pm

probably the first space shuttle launch. i was a space shuttle fanatic.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/14/09 at 4:07 pm

Wasn't it called "A bicentennial minute"?

I was searching on YouTube for it and couldn't find it. Then I plugged in "A Bicentennial Minute" and there it was. But, if you watch, it does say "200 Years Ago Today."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUoto1lsX50&feature=related

But you are right, it was a minute-not 30 secs.

Cat

Written By: Frank on 04/14/09 at 5:41 pm

I was searching on YouTube for it and couldn't find it. Then I plugged in "A Bicentennial Minute" and there it was. But, if you watch, it does say "200 Years Ago Today."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUoto1lsX50&feature=related

But you are right, it was a minute-not 30 secs.

Cat

Glad you found it. I remember the Bicentennial minutes well. Did they start in 1975 or 1976. Do you remember that, coz I can't.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/14/09 at 8:20 pm

BTW, your Bicentennial quarter wouldn't be worth too much today. In high grade it may be worth about $1. In SUPER HIGH GRADE it is only worth about $5. They made so many of them and many are still in circulation. We have found several of them in recent years.

I remember Anita Bryant getting hit in the face with a fruit pie because of her protest against gays.

Cat

I'm surprised they're worth $1 in high grade.
People collected jars of bicentennial quarters back in the late '70s and now it's the state quarters!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/tard.gif

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/15/09 at 2:49 am

Woodstock 1969
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S020qskOVJPIcALRijzbkF/SIG=129bfqs5i/EXP=1239867948/**http%3A//www.friendsofcannabis.com/photos/woodstock.jpg  http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S0200YkeVJS00AkHGjzbkF/SIG=12fslbdr8/EXP=1239868056/**http%3A//www.bluepoint.gen.tr/woodstock/woodstock_posteri.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/15/09 at 11:34 am

Glad you found it. I remember the Bicentennial minutes well. Did they start in 1975 or 1976. Do you remember that, coz I can't.

According to Wikipedia, it ran from July 4, 1974 until December 31, 1976. (The series was originally slated to end on July 4, 1976, but was extended to the end of the year.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicentennial_Minutes

Cat

Written By: Frank on 04/16/09 at 1:17 am

According to Wikipedia, it ran from July 4, 1974 until December 31, 1976. (The series was originally slated to end on July 4, 1976, but was extended to the end of the year.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicentennial_Minutes

Cat

Thanks for the link. Guess it began about 1 month before Nixon's last days as president

Written By: Brigitte on 04/19/09 at 11:54 am

!976 Montreal Olympics, Nadia Comaneci gets a perfect 10!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Tl0kE7Oels&NR=1

Written By: Dagwood on 04/19/09 at 1:37 pm

The 1984 Olympics....mainly because the torch ran right by my house.  I thought that was ultra cool. 8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/19/09 at 2:23 pm

The 1984 Olympics....mainly because the torch ran right by my house.  I thought that was ultra cool. 8)

The 1980 Winter Olympics torch came through the town where my high school was. Since I was a cheerleader at the time (yeah, yeah, I know  :D ;D ;D ;D ) I got to get out of school to go see it at the local mall. I didn't have to worry if my parents approved or not (to get out of school that is) because they, too were at the mall and my mother was taking photos.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/20/09 at 12:23 am

Woodstock 1969
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S020qskOVJPIcALRijzbkF/SIG=129bfqs5i/EXP=1239867948/**http%3A//www.friendsofcannabis.com/photos/woodstock.jpg  http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S0200YkeVJS00AkHGjzbkF/SIG=12fslbdr8/EXP=1239868056/**http%3A//www.bluepoint.gen.tr/woodstock/woodstock_posteri.jpg

I thought Woodstock was a character from Peanuts until my mom hipped me to what it was all about....
:-[

Written By: Davester on 04/20/09 at 12:24 am

I thought Woodstock was a character from Peanuts until my mom hipped me to what it was all about....
:-[

Me too.  Seriously...

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/20/09 at 1:50 am

:-http://thm-a01.yimg.com/image/1f5fdc9749d9bda8

Written By: Davester on 04/20/09 at 11:12 pm

I think the first time I saw Woodstock was pretty amazing  http://thm-a01.yimg.com/image/1f5fdc9749d9bda8

Woodstock was the hippie superbowl.  So dude were you, like yanno...there..? 

Forgive my memory, but you said you were in California (or northen California) in the sixties and seventies, right?  Did you get to attend the Monterey Pop Festival..?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/21/09 at 12:24 am

Woodstock was the hippie superbowl.  So dude were you, like yanno...there..? 

Forgive my memory, but you said you were in California (or northen California) in the sixties and seventies, right?  Did you get to attend the Monterey Pop Festival..?

it was 1969 & I was only 13 years old so all I can do is remember that it was a newsworthy and talked about event. I wish my parents had been stoners or rock and roll fans and had taken me. No Monterey Pop either, again too young. Danoota is just a tad older than I and she may have went, I can't remember if she ever said so. I know she saw the Doors with Jim Morrison, that's an amazing event and may have seen Hendrix too.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/21/09 at 11:58 am

I wasn't too far from Woodstock when it happened but I was totally unaware of it at the time. To be fair, I was only about 6 at the time. (Yeah, yeah, I know that dates me.  :-[ )  When I was a teen, they found a bunch of tickets in a vault and a local radio station was offering them (one at a time) as prizes in give-away they were having. You can image how much they would be worth today.

Cat

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/21/09 at 12:01 pm

I wasn't too far from Woodstock when it happened but I was totally unaware of it at the time. To be fair, I was only about 6 at the time. (Yeah, yeah, I know that dates me.  :-[ )  When I was a teen, they found a bunch of tickets in a vault and a local radio station was offering them (one at a time) as prizes in give-away they were having. You can image how much they would be worth today.

Cat
yeah, you were too young Cat, but you were so close. what an awesome piece of memorabilia those tix would be.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/21/09 at 2:27 pm

yeah, you were too young Cat, but you were so close. what an awesome piece of memorabilia those tix would be.

I should have mentioned that I wasn't lucky enough to win any of those tickets but I think you figured that out already because if I had won, you KNOW I would have been bragging about it.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Frank on 04/21/09 at 3:53 pm

it was 1969 & I was only 13 years old so all I can do is remember that it was a newsworthy and talked about event. I wish my parents had been stoners or rock and roll fans and had taken me. No Monterey Pop either, again too young. Danoota is just a tad older than I and she may have went, I can't remember if she ever said so. I know she saw the Doors with Jim Morrison, that's an amazing event and may have seen Hendrix too.

Would have ben so cool to see the Doors. I was about 6 or 7 when Woodstock occured, but I also have no recollection of it, too young, just like Cat. I think my earliest music memory was when some 'older" friends talked about the Beatles breaking up.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/22/09 at 7:20 pm

What people often forget about Woodstock is it was not a "free" event from the outset.  After the hippies clogged the throughway and knocked down the fence, it BECAME a free concert. 

It was kinda messy, but nobody got hurt and folks looked after one another and had a good time.

Too bad it was an anomaly not a precedent!
:(

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/22/09 at 8:26 pm

Cat

Yeah, if something is from like 10 years ago it's weird like that (not current, but still way too recent to where many people would get nostalgic). Too bad the station didn't think of that and hold onto them. ;)

As far as concerts, it probably depends on who you're seeing. Like a heavy metal or punk or rap band would be too for a younger kid to go to, especially because of the atmosphere. Back then, I bet Woodstock would've been like that (i.e. people doing drugs in the crowd or just getting rowdy in general)... but then again someone like the Backstreet Boys probably had MOSTLY tween girls there! ;D

Speaking of that, not sure if I even said this before, but I actually saw three concerts as a kid in the early '90s (Bruce Springsteen, U2 and Phil Collins), but that's just because my parents or other friends of ours were already going.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/23/09 at 5:32 pm

What people often forget about Woodstock is it was not a "free" event from the outset.  After the hippies clogged the throughway and knocked down the fence, it BECAME a free concert. 

It was kinda messy, but nobody got hurt and folks looked after one another and had a good time.

Too bad it was an anomaly not a precedent!
:(

Actually, I think 3 people died. One from heroin overdose, one from ruptured appendix and the last being run over by a tractor.

Cat

Written By: 2kidsami on 04/23/09 at 5:50 pm

I do remember Jimmy Carter getting hostages released.  I can remember the space shuttle blowing up.  I remember Reagan getting shot.  But one day I will also always remember (and no one has mentioned - maybe just  because I was a 9 year old little girl who wanted to be a princess) - Prince Charles and Lady Di's wedding - July 29, 1981

Written By: 2kidsami on 04/23/09 at 6:06 pm

Oh and - Mt. St. Helens erupting - I remember because of all the ash in the air (I lived in Illinois remember) - they would not let us go outside for recess :(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/23/09 at 8:01 pm

Actually, I think 3 people died. One from heroin overdose, one from ruptured appendix and the last being run over by a tractor.

Cat

Uhhh...then make that almost nobody?
:-HATED it.  That summer my parents were renting a cottage in Chesterfield out here in W. Mass, not too far away.  We kids were too young though.  I was just a babe in arms and the oldest of us was only six.  My sister relates a story of some of our parents friends who tried to go, but didn't make it to the New York border before the traffic snarls forced them back.  They showed up at our door in Chesterfield later that evening!

Check for new replies or respond here...