inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Second Most Popular member of a band/group

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/28/09 at 7:49 am

In addition to most bands with a lead performer/singer, many also have a notable "second artist." List some and I'll get you started.

BAND/GROUP                 Member

The Beatles                   John Lennon (since around 1983 in the general sense; though often still a "co-lead" with Paul even though Paul has many more post-Beatle hits)
Rolling Stones                 Keith Richards
The Beach Boys              Mike Love
The Supremes                Mary Wilson
The Jackson 5                Jermaine Jackson
The Osmonds                Marie Osmond
Led Zeppelin                  Jimmy Page
Fleetwood Mac               Christine McVie
The Go-Gos                    Jane Wiedlin

Subject: Re: The Second Most Popular member of a band/group

Written By: whistledog on 04/29/09 at 6:31 pm

Mike Rutherford, founding member of Genesis.  Phil Collins became the star, and one would think Peter Gabriel would have been second, or even first for that matter, but I can bet you there are alot of people who didn't know he was the original voice of Genesis

When Rutherford founded the Mechanics, they may have only had brief American success in the 80s, but 'The Living Years' was enough to make his name officially known as more than just a member of Genesis

Written By: Frank on 04/29/09 at 7:28 pm

Mike Rutherford, founding member of Genesis.  Phil Collins became the star, and one would think Peter Gabriel would have been second, or even first for that matter, but I can bet you there are alot of people who didn't know he was the original voice of Genesis

When Rutherford founded the Mechanics, they may have only had brief American success in the 80s, but 'The Living Years' was enough to make his name officially known as more than just a member of Genesis

I have a friend who won't even listen to Genesis, if it's post Gabriel.  He'll only listen to the early stuff up until "Lamb lies down on broadway". As a huge Genesis fan, he's missing some good stuff after 1974.

Written By: loki 13 on 04/29/09 at 8:18 pm

I have a friend who won't even listen to Genesis, if it's post Gabriel.  He'll only listen to the early stuff up until "Lamb lies down on broadway". As a huge Genesis fan, he's missing some good stuff after 1974.

I am the same way for the most part. For me, the downfall of Genesis was And Then There Were Three. I really don't like
that album or anything they put out after it.

Written By: whistledog on 04/29/09 at 9:43 pm

There are people who are that same way.  They liked Progressive Rock Genesis and refused to listen to the "sold out" version with Collins.  Such a shame.  It wasn't until 'Invisible Touch' in 1986 that they updated their sound for the changing times.  It worked though as it was their first album in the UK (that charted more than 1 single) where all the singles from it hit the Top 40

Written By: Frank on 04/30/09 at 1:27 am

I am the same way for the most part. For me, the downfall of Genesis was And Then There Were Three. I really don't like
that album or anything they put out after it.

That album wasn't great, it had "Follow you, follow me", which I liked, and also " Snowbound" and "Deep in the motherlode" I liked it better than "Wind and Wuthering".

My favorite Genesis album is either "Selling England by the pound" or " A Trick of the tail" I keep changing my mind on that.

There are people who are that same way.  They liked Progressive Rock Genesis and refused to listen to the "sold out" version with Collins.  Such a shame.  It wasn't until 'Invisible Touch' in 1986 that they updated their sound for the changing times.  It worked though as it was their first album in the UK (that charted more than 1 single) where all the singles from it hit the Top 40

I thought " Invisible touch: was OK, but IMHO nowhere near as good as their 70's stuff

Written By: Michael C. on 05/01/09 at 5:10 pm

Fleetwood Mac ----- I'd go with Stevie Nicks  :)

In addition to most bands with a lead performer/singer, many also have a notable "second artist." List some and I'll get you started.

BAND/GROUP                 Member

The Beatles                   John Lennon (since around 1983 in the general sense; though often still a "co-lead" with Paul even though Paul has many more post-Beatle hits)
Rolling Stones                 Keith Richards
The Beach Boys              Mike Love
The Supremes                Mary Wilson
The Jackson 5                Jermaine Jackson
The Osmonds                 Marie Osmond
Led Zeppelin                  Jimmy Page
Fleetwood Mac               Christine McVie
The Go-Gos                    Jane Wiedlin

Written By: Brigitte on 05/04/09 at 7:16 am

U2 - The Edge
Fleetwood Mac - Lindsay Buckingham

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/06/09 at 7:55 pm

It depends on who you ask with the Beatles:

The teenage girls liked Paul, the intellectuals like John.

With Depeche Mode it depends again:

Casual fans liked David Gahan, true Depechers knew Martin Gore made the band!

Written By: Frank on 05/07/09 at 12:22 am

It depends on who you ask with the Beatles:

The teenage girls liked Paul, the intellectuals like John.

With Depeche Mode it depends again:

Casual fans liked David Gahan, true Depechers knew Martin Gore made the band!

John was the original leader of the Beatles (I am not a teenage girl nor an intellectual!).
Paul kinda took over a little in the very late 60's.
But John was the man at the start.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/07/09 at 11:33 am

John was the original leader of the Beatles (I am not a teenage girl nor an intellectual!).

Agree!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/07/09 at 10:28 pm

Ultravox

I found among fellow Uvox fans, Warren Cann, the Canadian drummer tended to be regarded as the secret to the band's sound in the '80s.  Of course, Midge Ure was the frontman, so he got most of the glory among casual fans.

Duran Duran:

1. Simon LeBon.

2. Nick Rhodes

Written By: midnite on 05/07/09 at 11:41 pm

Pink Floyd -  Syd Barrett, then Roger Waters, then David Gilmour.  (I could be wrong, lol)

REM - Michael Stipe, then Peter Buck, then Mike Mills.

Written By: Michael C. on 05/09/09 at 8:04 am

When will People learn the truth....Ringo was the brains behind the........ ;D ...sorry couldn't keep a straight face....
wait a minute though....John married Yoko {never liked Her singing...}which some say broke the Beatles up.....
George was accused of plagireism...........Paul lost the Beatles catalog to Michael Jackson......and,Ringo....married a Bond Girl........Hmm.....Who's da Man now ?........ ;)

Written By: whistledog on 05/10/09 at 1:15 am

Chilliwack - Brian MacLeod, then Bill Henderson

Brian "Too Loud" MacLeod joined the band in 1978 and his hard rock sound provided the group with the commercial edge they needed and in the early 80s, helped bring Chilliwack into the American mainstream with a pair of US Top 40 hits called 'My Girl (Gone, Gone, Gone)' and 'I Believe'. 

Check for new replies or respond here...