inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Classic Arcade Show: Northern California, July 11-12, 2009

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/09/09 at 11:05 pm

Shameless Plug Alert.

This is a shameless plug, but for anybody that didn't experience the joy that was the 80s arcade scene (and for everybody who did!), get thee to San Jose and attend California Extreme, July 11-12, 2009.

13 years running, and by far the largest classic video game/pinball show of its kind anywhere.  Bigger, in fact, than most arcades of the '80s.  Play until your fingers bleed.  If you remember the game, it's probably there. 

And not just the classics and rarities (I've even played Tempest with frickiin' lasers!), but the prototypes!  Over the years, I've played the Army's version of Battlezone - one of two Bradley Trainer machines produced.  I've played Marble Man, the sequel to Marble Madness.  Last year, I got to play one of eight The Act machines in existence; the game was a 2007 experiment in crossing Leisure Suit Larry and a fully-interactive version of Dragon's Lair, and was one of the most fun things I've ever played.  Long story short, thanks to CAX, I've frankly lost track of how many games I've played that I'll never be able to play anywhere else.

The talks are as interesting as the games; prior speakers have included just numerous Atari and Williams alumni, personalities in King of Kong and High Score (the quest for the 72-hour Missile Command marathon record), and more.

CAX-XIII: 13 years and running, T-60 days and counting.

Subject: Re: Classic Arcade Show: Northern California, July 11-12, 2009

Written By: snozberries on 05/10/09 at 12:08 pm

Shameless Plug Alert.

This is a shameless plug, but for anybody that didn't experience the joy that was the 80s arcade scene (and for everybody who did!), get thee to San Jose and attend California Extreme, July 11-12, 2009.

13 years running, and by far the largest classic video game/pinball show of its kind anywhere.  Bigger, in fact, than most arcades of the '80s.  Play until your fingers bleed.  If you remember the game, it's probably there. 

And not just the classics and rarities (I've even played Tempest with frickiin' lasers!), but the prototypes!  Over the years, I've played the Army's version of Battlezone - one of two Bradley Trainer machines produced.  I've played Marble Man, the sequel to Marble Madness.  Last year, I got to play one of eight The Act machines in existence; the game was a 2007 experiment in crossing Leisure Suit Larry and a fully-interactive version of Dragon's Lair, and was one of the most fun things I've ever played.  Long story short, thanks to CAX, I've frankly lost track of how many games I've played that I'll never be able to play anywhere else.

The talks are as interesting as the games; prior speakers have included just numerous Atari and Williams alumni, personalities in King of Kong and High Score (the quest for the 72-hour Missile Command marathon record), and more.

CAX-XIII: 13 years and running, T-60 days and counting.

now that does sound like fun!!!

Written By: Davester on 05/10/09 at 1:44 pm

I'm going to ask my homie if he wants to go there with me...

Maybe i'll see you there...

Written By: Midas on 05/11/09 at 11:20 am

now that does sound like fun!!!

Agreed.  I miss the days of the big arcade.  Or hell, classic games in general.  It's often hard to find places that have older games.  Dave & Buster's here has only TWO classic machines - A Space Invaders upright and a Ms. Pac-Man/Galaga machine. 

If I had the coinage I'd consider going.

Written By: Davester on 05/11/09 at 10:53 pm

Agreed.  I miss the days of the big arcade.  Or hell, classic games in general.  It's often hard to find places that have older games.  Dave & Buster's here has only TWO classic machines - A Space Invaders upright and a Ms. Pac-Man/Galaga machine. 

If I had the coinage I'd consider going.

Yeah coinage.  Quarters or tokens, Foo?  The pinball I played the other day cost 50¢ a game.  No as bad as I expected.  I figured coin ops were up to three bucks by now...

Written By: Satish on 05/12/09 at 11:20 pm

Yeah, video arcades started dying out around the late 90s and early 00s as home video game consoles became so advanced that arcade games didn't have that much more to offer players. It's a shame. I still think that arcade games have a feel and a level of control that can't be matched by home consoles.

I also think that video games from before the late 80s had a simplicity to them that made them more accessible than newer games. Now, you've got these computer games and RPGs and stuff that are so involved, you need to spend several months on them looking for hidden items and trying to find secret passage ways just to reach the end. There's nothing like a game of Pac-Man or Space Invaders when all you've got is ten minutes during a lunch break to kill.

For me personally, my arcade glory days were from about the late 80s to early 90s when games like Double Dragon, Golden Axe, Final Fight, and Street Fighter II were hot.

That convention's all the way over on the west coast, so there's probably no way I'll be able to attend, but I'd sure love to be there!

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/14/09 at 1:21 am

Yeah coinage.  Quarters or tokens, Foo?  The pinball I played the other day cost 50¢ a game.  No as bad as I expected.  I figured coin ops were up to three bucks by now...

Neither quarters nor tokens are required. (LOL, I shoulda mentioned that up front!) 

Basically, it's a one-weekend-a-year show where people who own arcade games bring 'em in, set 'em on free play, and let people play 'em.  It's the coinless arcade you always dreamed of.  (You know the dream.  The one where some anonymous tech had gone around to every machine in the arcade, inserted a couple of test credits, and then snuck away before the manager noticed?  Yeah, that dream.  Only you never. wake. up.)

Ya pays your admission (which basically covers the cost of renting/powering/insuring the space; all the labor is free/volunteer), but once you're in, every game is on free play. 

If you're coming in from out of town, or even if you're local, I'd strongly suggest getting the hotel room and the weekend package.  There are a lot of talks - ex-Atari folks and ex-Williams folks tend to be regular and semi-regular appearances, there are talks about restoration/tech, there's been a pretty busy panel where world-class players show off their tips, and last year's movie series (Tilt, King of Kong, High Score, and a reunion of the 80s "arcade contests on TV" show Starcade) was a blast.  If you go the weekend route and stay at the hotel, you'll be able to attend the talks and see the movies without feeling like you're missing out on gaming.  You'll also be able to play until midnight and not have to worry about a long drive home.

Check for new replies or respond here...