inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite "Police" album

Written By: Frank on 05/18/09 at 10:12 pm

The Police were an English three-piece rock band consisting of Sting (lead vocals, bass guitar), Andy Summers (guitar, vocals) and Stewart Copeland (drums, vocals, percussion). The band became globally popular in the late 1970s, playing a style of rock that was influenced by jazz, punk and reggae music.

What was your favorite album?

Mine was Reggatta de Blanc. I really liked "message in a bottle" and "Bring on the night"
Having said that, I liked all their 5 albums, and bought them all (CD) about 5 to 10 years ago.

Synchronicity is my 2nd favorite.

Subject: Re: Favorite "Police" album

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/19/09 at 12:07 pm

Hmm, it's hard to say because I like all of them.  Wimpy answer?  Maybe - but that's where I am  ::)

I guess I liked the first two more for the overall flow of the album, but the last three more for the individual songs.  Tough choice.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/19/09 at 12:12 pm

Mine is still Synchronicity, although Ghost in the Machine has my all-time favorite Police song, "Invisible Sun," which I love for its stygian lyrics and Philip Glass-like synth riff!
8)

"Synchronicity II" also has one of my favorite Police lyrics:

"The secretaries pout and preen like cheap tarts on a red light street,
but all he ever thinks to do is watch/
And every meeting with his so-called superiors is a
humiliating kick in the crotch!"

;D

Written By: Midas on 05/19/09 at 12:15 pm

Synchronicity and Zenyatta Mondatta.

Written By: whistledog on 05/19/09 at 1:25 pm

The band became globally popular in the late 1970s, playing a style of rock that was influenced by jazz, punk and reggae music.

Actually, it wouldn't be until the 80s that The Police would become globally popular.  Up until 'Zenyatta Mondatta', their only US Top 40 hit had been 'Roxanne'.

My favourite album of theirs is still 'Syncronicity', though like MaxwellSmart, my favourite song of theirs came from 'Ghost in the Machine' and was called 'Spirits in the Material World'

Written By: Frank on 05/19/09 at 9:58 pm

Actually, it wouldn't be until the 80s that The Police would become globally popular.  Up until 'Zenyatta Mondatta', their only US Top 40 hit had been 'Roxanne'.

My favourite album of theirs is still 'Syncronicity', though like MaxwellSmart, my favourite song of theirs came from 'Ghost in the Machine' and was called 'Spirits in the Material World'

They were quite popular in Canada, even after thier first album (which I bought). By the time their 2nd album was released, pretty much every one in our school heard of them and most were fans.

On a side note, I saw the group " Platinum blonde" in concert before they were popular in Canada, and at that time (late 1982 or early 1983) they were a cover band doing only Police songs. I sat in the front row and by the end of the concert I was quite deaf.

Written By: whistledog on 05/20/09 at 4:42 pm

They were quite popular in Canada, even after thier first album

This is very much true ...

THE POLICE - ALBUMS
1978 - Outlandos D'Amour
1979 - Regetta De Blanc
1980 - Zenyatta Mondatta
1981 - Ghost in the Machine
1983 - Synchronicity
1986 - Every Breath You Take - The Singles

THE POLICE - SINGLES
1979 - Roxanne
1979 - Can't Stand Losing You
1979 - Message in A Bottle
1979 - Walking on the Moon
1980 - So Lonely
1980 - Six Pack
1980 - Don't Stand So Close to Me
1981 - De Do Do Do De Da Da Da
1981 - Invisible Sun
1981 - Every Little Thing She Does is Magic
1981 - Spirits in the Material World
1982 - Secret Journey
1983 - Every Breath You Take
1983 - King of Pain
1983 - Synchronicity II
1984 - Wrapped Around Your Finger
1986 - Don't Stand So Close to Me '86

Written By: Michael C. on 05/20/09 at 5:45 pm

I saw them play in a small club just as their first album hit.
It was a snow storm & the place was empty....We {Me,& 2 Friends:the Bartender & the waitress} were laughing at these Brits playing reggae......We'd never heard of them......
The Police were an English three-piece rock band consisting of Sting (lead vocals, bass guitar), Andy Summers (guitar, vocals) and Stewart Copeland (drums, vocals, percussion). The band became globally popular in the late 1970s, playing a style of rock that was influenced by jazz, punk and reggae music.

What was your favorite album?

Mine was Reggatta de Blanc. I really liked "message in a bottle" and "Bring on the night"
Having said that, I liked all their 5 albums, and bought them all (CD) about 5 to 10 years ago.

Synchronicity is my 2nd favorite.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/20/09 at 8:17 pm

That's another awesome song!
8)

Written By: Frank on 05/21/09 at 12:10 am

I saw them play in a small club just as their first album hit.
It was a snow storm & the place was empty....We {Me,& 2 Friends:the Bartender & the waitress} were laughing at these Brits playing reggae......We'd never heard of them......

Years ago I heard that the Police played the "El Mocambo" in Toronto in 1977 or 1978 and about 30 people showed up. 
By the way, did they play any songs from their first album, if you remember?

Written By: Michael C. on 05/21/09 at 6:42 pm

I only remember them playing Roxanne....Really wasn't paying too much attention to them.

Years ago I heard that the Police played the "El Mocambo" in Toronto in 1977 or 1978 and about 30 people showed up. 
By the way, did they play any songs from their first album, if you remember?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/21/09 at 9:33 pm

I only remember them playing Roxanne....Really wasn't paying too much attention to them.

Like there was some good reefer going around at that show?
;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/21/09 at 9:34 pm

Even though I LOVE some Police songs, I think they're one of those bands where their singles are awesome but their full albums are boring. We had the Synchronicity album since I was a kid and I only ever liked the four hits, everything else seemed weird to me. Lots of new wave bands are like that.

If I had to pick one overall, probably Ghost in the Machine. I like "Omegaman" and "Secret Journey" alot too.

Written By: anabel on 05/22/09 at 5:40 pm

I have them all, but I voted for Ghost in The Machine as my favorite-it's the one I still listen to the most.  Zenyattà Mondatta would be my #2, then Synchronicity. I only liked  Outlandos d'Amour for Roxanne and I can't Stand Losing You, I never really warmed up to the other songs on it too much.

I've put my favorites on my ipod touch and don't really play the cd's as much as I used to, but they're still one of my favorite bands from the 80's, and I still love Sting.

Written By: Michael C. on 05/22/09 at 7:11 pm

No...I was talking with My Friends & laughing at the band. Not much going on that night..with the snowstorm.there was only about 8 of Us there.
Like there was some good reefer going around at that show?
;)

Check for new replies or respond here...