inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Generational Issues

Written By: Spirit of 76 on 05/29/09 at 10:23 pm

Message removed

Subject: Re: Chasing The Generational Mirage

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/30/09 at 2:27 am

That was interesting.  Was it your thesis for a degree?

I, too, never really felt part of any one generation (I was always confused if I was a X or a Y).  I was the ages 11 to 20 in the 80s (which is what decade I particularly am fond of), however I did most of my television and radio listening in the latter years of the 70s and they were a HUGE influence on what I like today.  I also kick butt in television trivia of 70s era.  lol  If only I could get paid for it. 

I haven't really had the typical milestones in a lifetime to help identify my "generation" either.  I never graduated college (and I even went twice for two years each time (about 10 years apart from each other and not directly after high school.)  I got married kinda late in life (as opposed to many of my high school friends) and I've never had children (other then furry ones - cats (not children with hormone problems).)

I think I stopped listening to alot of music in the early 90s (I swear I must have been in a coma for the majority of that decade), I just don't remember much about the music, movies or news items of the 90s.  There are a few exceptions to that statement naturally, but for the most part, it's unremarkable to me.  As for today's music, I really could probably count on two hands the newer artists that I know came about in the 00s.  While I'm sure there is pop cultural references that I would like (if I looked hard enough) in today's music/television, I just feel too tired to even pursue anything new.  I'd rather just listen to my oldies music on youtube and chill out.  I still remember the day when one of my favorite songs came on as an instrumental "Muzack" version on the background speakers of my grocery store.  It was a jarring moment, because I don't feel as old as I am.  And yet, at the same time, I feel older.  Such a paradox.

Thanks for sharing your article with us.  I hope you stick around and post more into the rest of our forum.

Written By: Davester on 05/31/09 at 2:57 pm

Here's an interesting article on the generational breakdown, science style...

Ancestry.com: How Long Is a Generation?

http://www.ancestry.com/learn/library/article.aspx?article=11152

If you're really interested in the subject you may have read this already... :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/10/09 at 10:33 pm

"We're the young generation, and we've got something to say..."
--Theme song from The Monkees

The so-called "Boomers" were the first generation truly regarded as a marketing demographic.  Naturally, the pop stars marketed to teenagers will tend to be a bit older than teens themselves, as you point to in your evidence of the Beatles being born in the late "Silent Generation," but marketed to "Baby Boomers" and Kurt and Courtney being born in the late "Baby Boom" and marketed to "Generation X." 

My parents are not technically Baby Boomers, being born in 1940 and 1941, but they were Baby Boomers in their values and lifestyles.  They were hippies from the first toke in 1964 until the hippie movement really died out in the late seventies. 

Two countercultural heroes of the hippies were:
Dr. Timothy Leary (b. 1920--1996) and poet Allen Ginsberg (1926--1997)

The ideas and ideals of each man were heavily inculcated into the hippies, who were largely Boomers.

Check for new replies or respond here...