inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 10 Characters Who Need to be Killed Off...

Written By: snozberries on 05/30/09 at 3:58 am

According to TV.com

You know they're out there--characters that have either overstayed their welcome, are just plain annoying, or could die a martyr.

They invade your television screen and make your skin crawl--they're characters that you just can't stand. We asked members of the TV.com staff which characters they'd love to see killed off and why. The answers will shock and surprise some of you, while others will nod their head in hateful agreement.

And just to be clear, this isn't an attack on the actors themselves (except for one rant on the number-one slot), it's solely on their characters--and the rants are from individual TV.com employees (hey, I love Steve Carrell).

10-6

10. Dr. Raymond Langston, CSI
Portrayed by: Laurence Fishburne
Says our anonymous critic: "Sorry, but Laurence Fishburne on CSI has just ruined it for me. I feel like he’s mentally texting while he’s supposed to be solving crimes."

9. Disco Stu, The Simpsons

Portrayed by: Hank Azaria (voice)
Says our anonymous critic: "The most useless Simpsons character ever. Seriously, what is his point? To wear '70s clothes and talk in the third person? In fact it can be argued that Disco Stu began the downfall of the show; adding extraneous characters like Stu did nothing but take away from the heart of the show. It's time for a Disco Stu inferno. Light that sucker on fire!"

8. Dan Scott, One Tree Hill
Portrayed by: Paul Johansson
Says our anonymous critic: "Dan Scott is possibly the most evil villain of all dramas, almost as bad as Benjamin Linus. He murdered his own brother, Keith, in cold blood by shooting him in the chest. He abandoned one of his sons, hit his other son, and called his daughter-in-law a slut. He’s a liar, a blackmailer, and an overall selfish son-of-a-bitch. For six seasons we have been waiting to see this bastard killed off, and now he wants it too. Let's do him a favor and buy him a toaster for his bathtub." (editor's note: "I don't know, this guy sounds kind of cool.")
I accept this award... hey wait a sec!
I accept this award... hey wait a sec!

7. Michael Scott, The Office
Portrayed by: Steve Carrell
Says our anonymous critic: "Steve Carrell's an annoying actor who always tries too hard and just isn't funny. Like Will Ferrell. Michael should visit a papermill and accidentally fall into something, like a chopper or pulper or whatever you call it."

6. Joe DuBois, Medium, Skyler White, Breaking Bad
Portrayed by: Jake Weber, Anna Gunn
Says our anonymous critic: "The husband on Medium, the wife on Breaking Bad. They’re personality-free characters who adore their spouses and suffer quietly while they’re ignored, until there’s a plot point about how they can’t take being ignored. The wives on The Shield and The Wire were like that, too, but those shows are off the air. They should all just go missing and see if anybody notices."

5-1

5. Turtle, Entourage

Portrayed by: Jerry Ferrera
Says our anonymous critic: "The most annoying character on the most annoying show. Is there anything worse than a misogynist tool with an over-bloated ego? Yeah, we get that you are from New York, but that still doesn't make you a 'playa.' Every time he opens his mouth, I want to punch him in the face. Maybe Ari can rip his still-beating heart out."

4. Meg Griffin, Family Guy

Portrayed by: Mila Kunis (voice)
Says our anonymous critic: "Meg's story lines are boring, her voice is annoying, and do you remember the episode with the shower scene that involved, 'flossing'? Yuck. Meg is by far the least funny character on Family Guy and ought to start a support group for similar, un-funny characters like Lisa Simpson, Jonathan Bower (Who’s the Boss?) and Tim Meadows. I suppose every surreal comedy show needs a somewhat 'normal' character to offset the craziness, but then again, she’s still not funny, so I vote she be fed to giant Iranian goat-eating cockroaches."

3. Tracy Strauss, Heroes

Portrayed by: Ali Larter
Says our anonymous critic: "Well, she's already died like 50 times already (counting her twin sisters), so this wouldn’t be too big of a surprise--what would be a surprise is if she stayed dead. This is simply a poorly thought out character(s)--it's almost as if they had this hot actress and they just made something up to get her killer body in the show. Her one shining moment was grinding on a politician in her underwear--whoopdeedoo. Time to kill her off for good--Larter doesn't want to be on the show anyway. Hey, while we're at it, let's kill off Claire, Mohinder, and everyone else except for Sylar and Mr. Muggles. They rule."
Hurley will die a hero!
Hurley will die a hero!

2. Hurley "Hugo" Reyes, Lost
Portrayed by: Jorge Garcia
Says our anonymous critic: "Wait! Hear me out! We love Hurley, we really do. But given that this is Lost's final season, we know we're going to lose some of our favorites for good. Charlie Pace died a hero, and as painful as it was to see him go, it propelled the story forward and delivered one of Lost's most moving moments. We see the same fate for lovable Hugo Hurley--a hero's demise. And we have to admit: we'd love to see old Smokey try and lift him and up."

1. John "J.D." Dorian, Scrubs
Note: The only character to receive multiple unsolicited votes.
Portrayed by: Zach Braff
Says our anonymous critic: "I think most of us would be more than happy to chip in a few bucks to buy J.D. a chin so we can take turns punching him in the face. Don’t get me wrong--I’m glad effeminate, stupid haired, sissies have a role model, I’d just like to see him fall into a well is all. He is a disgrace to the great state of New Jersey and he likes the Shins. THE SHINS!!?? I vote for a long trip down a deep well or he get shot to the moon in a cheap rocket." And a second, less hatred-filled response: "J.D. needs to go so new actors can take centerstage on Scrubs, as long as they're going to continue that series."

Subject: Re: 10 Characters Who Need to be Killed Off...

Written By: snozberries on 05/30/09 at 3:58 am

I don't have time to play right now... but what do  you think of this list... and who should be added to it?

Written By: danootaandme on 05/30/09 at 4:05 am

Bones.  They could start with "Dr Temperance Brennan(i.e. Bones)" with the way she says in that  whiny, wimpy voice "Booth" ,  but the whole cast really needs to go.

Written By: snozberries on 05/30/09 at 5:02 am

Bones.  They could start with "Dr Temperance Brennan(i.e. Bones)" with the way she says in that  whiny, wimpy voice "Booth" ,  but the whole cast really needs to go.

Aw I love Bones and the cast. But they need to kill off the rotating assistants and nring back Zach.

Written By: snozberries on 05/30/09 at 5:03 am

Julia duffy (any character she plays

Stephanie in Newhart ( actually take out peter scolari too)

And the role she had in designing women. Thank god that only last one season.

Written By: whistledog on 05/30/09 at 8:32 am

Stephanie in Newhart ( actually take out peter scolari too)

But they were funny.  Snobby upper class folk in a small hick town.  Michael's drole sense of humour which usually he only found funny was awesome!

One character on a show I think should be offed is J. Jonah Jameson' from The Amazing Spiderman.  Spiderman is a good guy, but he Jameson only cares about printing lies, and the dumbass cops believe it.

Written By: anabel on 05/30/09 at 9:01 am

5. Turtle, Entourage
Portrayed by: Jerry Ferrera
Says our anonymous critic: "The most annoying character on the most annoying show. Is there anything worse than a misogynist tool with an over-bloated ego? Yeah, we get that you are from New York, but that still doesn't make you a 'playa.' Every time he opens his mouth, I want to punch him in the face. Maybe Ari can rip his still-beating heart out."

Awwwww!  Not Turtle!  I love him! He's the puppy that needs to be taken care of, but he's sweet.  I think that cast clicks so well and if any one of them were gone the whole dynamic would be thrown off.  The only character I HATE on that show is Mrs. Ari.  I don't even know if she has a real first name and she is a RAGING bi@ch all the time and makes sure Ari knows that she is very wealthy without him and treats him like her dog.  That's why he's such a jerk.  I still love him though...and I think I could fix him.... ;) LOL

I say burn MRS. ARI at the stake instead!!  :D

Written By: woops on 05/30/09 at 10:32 am

I've noticed in "Family Guy" that Meg's pretty much a punching bag, which I find too mean spirited and rarely funny. Don't see anything wrong with the character though the show hasn't been good for a while.

When Portia from "The Mighty B" gets tormented, it's because she deserves it for being a spoiled brat (yes, even the Bessie gets the last laugh  for being annoying like in that "10 Little Honeybees" episode)

The cast of "Chowder" deserves to be dipped! Along with a certain seasponge

Says our anonymous critic: "The most useless Simpsons character ever. Seriously, what is his point? To wear '70s clothes and talk in the third person? In fact it can be argued that Disco Stu began the downfall of the show; adding extraneous characters like Stu did nothing but take away from the heart of the show. It's time for a Disco Stu inferno. Light that sucker on fire!"

4. Meg Griffin, Family Guy
Portrayed by: Mila Kunis (voice)
Says our anonymous critic: "Meg's story lines are boring, her voice is annoying, and do you remember the episode with the shower scene that involved, 'flossing'? Yuck. Meg is by far the least funny character on Family Guy and ought to start a support group for similar, un-funny characters like Lisa Simpson, Jonathan Bower (Who’s the Boss?) and Tim Meadows. I suppose every surreal comedy show needs a somewhat 'normal' character to offset the craziness, but then again, she’s still not funny, so I vote she be fed to giant Iranian goat-eating cockroaches.

Written By: anabel on 05/30/09 at 12:15 pm

The cast of "Chowder" deserves to be dipped! Along with a certain seasponge

How could I forget stupid Chowder?  I don't let Matthew watch it in the living room. I can't stand it! I think it rots his brain, much more than his other favorite shows.  It's not even funny!!  At all!  Torch them all!!

We like Spongebob, but could do without Plankton.  Someone needs to squash him once and for all.

Written By: Frank on 05/30/09 at 12:17 pm

I like Disco Stu. But Meg needs to go.

Julia Duffy, waste of oxygen.
Rebecca in Cheers...I cant stand her.

Written By: snozberries on 05/30/09 at 6:26 pm

10. Dr. Raymond Langston, CSI
Portrayed by: Laurence Fishburne

6. Joe DuBois, Medium
Portrayed by: Jake Weber

3. Tracy Strauss, Heroes

Portrayed by: Ali Larter

2. Hurley "Hugo" Reyes, Lost
Portrayed by: Jorge Garcia

I agree that about CSI.... I mean Laurence Fishburne is too good to be stuck on that show... and the character is boring...its the writing tho- the show got old three seasons ago...

What did Disco Stu ever do to you???? he's barely ever there anyway...

I like Joe Dubois and I think Alison needs him - he balances her out...and he supports her even when his scientific mind tells him that what she's saying is illogical his heart always tells him to trust his wife...

Kill Tracy bring back Nikki!!!!

Hurley is my favorite character on Lost so LEAVE HUGO ALONE!!!!!  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 05/30/09 at 6:30 pm

that sanctimonious A-Hole on Law & Order Jack McCoy... the man is inflexible...that's a bad thing in a DA..... I stopped watching L&O sometime after Jerry Orbach left but not because Jerry Orbach was gone...the decsion was based 100% on the fact that Sam Waterson's portrayal of Mcoy annoys the crap out of me..... even now... if I watch an old ep or on the off the chance I catch a new one...

I will watch the Law but I always turn off the Order!

Written By: Frank on 05/31/09 at 1:10 am

Ted Baxter - Mary Tyler Moore show  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/xyxgun.gif

Written By: snozberries on 05/31/09 at 1:37 am

^ and Clint Howard apparently...  ;)

Written By: anabel on 06/02/09 at 5:48 pm

Hurley is my favorite character on Lost so LEAVE HUGO ALONE!!!!!   ;D

I actually wish the entire cast of "Lost" WAS Lost. Forever.  8-P

Written By: snozberries on 06/02/09 at 8:48 pm

I actually wish the entire cast of "Lost" WAS Lost. Forever.  8-P

HEY!  >:(  don't make me curse your beloved magic  :D

Written By: snozberries on 06/02/09 at 10:18 pm

The one I'd love to see killed off is Kate. The faster Sawyer and Jack leave that little twit in the dust the better. It's that self-serving look she always has that says "I've just screwed you and ruined everything you hold dear, but it doesn't matter because I don't care- don't I look sweet and cute?

okay....maybe I'll give you this one  ;D

Written By: holicman on 06/13/09 at 6:55 pm

Maybe a character from the bold and the beautiful or days of our lives.

Hang on, what about the shows themselves ??

Written By: apollonia1986 on 06/15/09 at 6:08 pm

Heidi and Spencer from I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here!"

Oh wait...those are real people.  :o

Written By: snozberries on 06/16/09 at 7:42 pm

Heidi and Spencer from I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here!"

Oh wait...those are real people.  :o

they, and everyone on the Hills need to be killed off.... and that goes for all those copy cat shows out there...

and the character Jeff Goldblum plays on L&O:CI....actually both those characters from that night... I would rather watch Goren and Eames (see I care enough to learn their character names) each week than watch these two stiffs every other week... I stopped watching on the non-Goran and Eames nights!

Written By: Gis on 06/18/09 at 5:56 am

I love the books but I've never seen the T.V show. They filmed some of one episode here at the library..........

Written By: Dagwood on 06/18/09 at 12:09 pm

I love the books but I've never seen the T.V show. They filmed some of one episode here at the library..........

The show is nothing like the books.  I tried to watch the show because I love the books, too, but I can't.

Written By: snozberries on 06/18/09 at 11:08 pm

Sorry Gis... those London Eps were the second worst eps of the series...the alternate universe ep, this season's finale.... was the worst ep of bones ever made....

You should watch the series tho....every other episode is good!  :)

Written By: snozberries on 06/18/09 at 11:09 pm

The show is nothing like the books.  I tried to watch the show because I love the books, too, but I can't.

the show is awesome.... take a second look... the chemistry between booth and bones... plus the whole bones has no idea how to interact outside of the lab.... I love that dynamic! 

I've never read the books tho!

Written By: Dagwood on 06/19/09 at 9:01 am

the show is awesome.... take a second look... the chemistry between booth and bones... plus the whole bones has no idea how to interact outside of the lab.... I love that dynamic! 

I've never read the books tho!

For starters, the books take place in Canada and Bones is in her 50's, divorced and has a college age kid. And she is just Tempe Brennen not Bones. Way different than the tv show.

Excellent books.  If you get the chance try one out.  They can be a little gory, though.  She is a forensic anthropologist so lots of dead, decaying bodies. 

Written By: snozberries on 06/19/09 at 9:41 am

For starters, the books take place in Canada and Bones is in her 50's, divorced and has a college age kid. And she is just Tempe Brennen not Bones. Way different than the tv show.

Excellent books.  If you get the chance try one out.  They can be a little gory, though.  She is a forensic anthropologist so lots of dead, decaying bodies. 

Technicalities.  ;)
In the series bones, a nickname she doesn't really like btw, is an author who writes about a forensics anthropologist named kathy reichs. Did I get the name right?  And how cool is that???

Written By: Dagwood on 06/20/09 at 10:29 am

I didn't know that, that is pretty cool.  Yeah, you got the name right.

Written By: loki 13 on 07/18/09 at 5:41 pm

Yoy know who needs to be killed off? Evan Lawson (Paulo Costanzo), Dr Hank Lawson's brother on the show
Royal Pains. The show is what? 3 episodes old and already that guy has to be the most annoying character on
television.

Written By: Step-chan on 07/18/09 at 6:37 pm

For me, I would like to see Scrappy Doo killed off.

Heck, I even wrote a parody about it.

Written By: snozberries on 07/18/09 at 7:03 pm

For me, I would like to see Scrappy Doo killed off.

Heck, I even wrote a parody about it.

aw... I like scrappy!

Written By: woops on 07/18/09 at 7:07 pm

Scrappy Doo did get attacked by Avenger (the falcon) in "Harvey Birdman" and also in "Drawn Together"

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/21/09 at 3:24 pm

Hey, not Michael Scott, Hurley or Turtle!

>:(

I nominate......

10)  Screech Powers

9)  Cousin Oliver

8)  Jefferson D'Arcy

7)  Elmo

6)  Barney

5)  Doug Funnie

4)  Scrappy Doo

3)  Snarf

2)  Steve Urkel

!)  the cast of Chowder

Written By: woops on 07/22/09 at 10:26 am

"Chowder" is getting cancelled

Check for new replies or respond here...