inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Episodology - Roseanne

Written By: SoulAsylum on 06/08/09 at 11:45 am

Episodology - I had this idea to where I wanted to take one Television show at a time and discuss with other people my and their favorite episodes of the show.  Lyricboy gave me the idea of calling this episodology.  I liked it and I went with it.

Anyway, my all time favorite episode of Roseanne

First off I want to say that Roseanne is one of my all time favorite TV shows.  I think it is one of the most realistic and true to life television series that Hollywood has ever produced.  I think what I appreciated about the show the most, is that they were real life people, who looked like real life people, with real life problems, that dealt with them in real life ways.  Roseanne Barr/Arnold/whatever her last name is now, is in my opinion the greatest female actress of all time.  A lot of people disagree with me on that, because she wasn't attractive.  Well, theatrical performances have nothing to do with looks.  When it comes down to someone being able to dramatize and truly bring you into a scene and be able to create that magic referred to as a suspension of disbelief, Roseanne takes a back seat to no one.  She is truly that talented.

I also want to say that I think John Goodman is a hell of an actor too.  He's one of my Dad's favorite actors, if not his favorite.  Goodman had a way with timing, with delivery and with just making you believe that he really was a lower middle class father and husband.  He so good at his role, that it's hard to look at him as John Goodman and not as Dan Conner.

My Favorite Episode  Without doubt my all time favorite episode of Roseanne was the one where in a rage of furry Roseanne hit D.J.  I always thought that Roseanne was the most gifted actress out there, but it was this episode that really backed up my testimony.    After the incident where Roseanne hit D.J., there's this scene where she apologizes to him on the couch around some other people and her performance is just so real.  She knows her son is afraid of her at first and you can feel how Roseanne feels at that moment.  Her words during that scene, you'd never know that they were written on a script, you'd think they were just straight from the heart.  When D.J. forgives her and comes over and gives her a hug, it's just a magical moment.  It really is.   

Anyway, what is your favorite Episode of Roseanne?

Subject: Re: Episodology - Roseanne

Written By: whistledog on 06/08/09 at 2:24 pm

The Halloween one where Dan went as The Three Stooges

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/09/09 at 12:43 am

I LOVE Roseanne....one of my absolute fav shows. My favorite episodes are the ones that revolve around David and Darlene...I love both of them (as their character and the real actor/actress).....and Darlene's sarcastic comments always make me laugh so much! ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 06/09/09 at 8:08 am

I LOVE Roseanne....one of my absolute fav shows. My favorite episodes are the ones that revolve around David and Darlene...I love both of them (as their character and the real actor/actress).....and Darlene's sarcastic comments always make me laugh so much! ;D

Darlene was one of the best characters...loved her wit.

I really liked the episode where her baby is born and they decide to let her go.  When the grandma, Roseanne, Jackie, Becky and Darlene are all standing around saying their goodbyes to the baby gets me every time.  Then, when she survives I am a pile of mush.  The emotions of David in that episode are so raw, it just seemed very realistic.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/09/09 at 11:57 pm

Oh, I thought you were going for a portmanteau of episiotomy, cutting into the perineum during childbirth, and odology, a neologism for the study of roads.  You take the Greek roots "epision," meaning pubic region, and "odos," meaning roads, and you got yourself "episodology," the study of pubic roads!
:P

Written By: snozberries on 06/10/09 at 2:33 am

I'll play but only because i love Roseanne... some of the best writers in the industry worked on that show!

Joss Whedon went on to do Buffy the Vampire Layer Slayer
Jane Espenson - a disciple of Joss' also worked on Buffy, Angel and then BattleStar Galactica

Amy Sherman & Daniel Paladino married and went on to create Gilmore Girls!

My favorite eps are:

Dark Ages and the best scene/line is when Jackie comes into the kitchen and talks about her date never realizing that the power has been shut off..... the best line is delivered by Roseanne "now we know the speed of stupid"  ;D

as seen here: 6 minutes and 24 seconds into the clip!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwN_Kd0uD94&feature=PlayList&p=F7C922C97BBEC9D7&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=7

War & Peace this is the episode that comes after Dan has been arrested for beating up Jackie's boyfriend Fisher (because he beat her up)  the best scene is right after the opening credits when Darlene has to bail Dan out of Jail

Just listen to the writing....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qkF6U4uJn4

Check for new replies or respond here...