inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Things you never knew about ...

Written By: whistledog on 06/19/09 at 3:13 pm

... until you saw it in a Movie or a TV Show, or maybe a song you never knew was done by someone else?

♦ When 'Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle' came out, I had no idea what White Castle was, nor had I ever heard of it before.  Before I saw trailers for the film, I thought it was a family movie about a medieval land or something.  Um yeah, not medieval, and not so much a family film LOL

♦ The first time I ever heard of a 401k was on TV, and for the longest time, I never knew what it was.  In Canada, we call it a "Pension" and always assumed that term was global.

Subject: Re: Things you never knew about ...

Written By: woops on 06/19/09 at 7:10 pm

White Castle was a burger chain

There's many cartoons & movies I had no ideas were remakes or updated versions (as a kid) until later on...

Written By: whistledog on 06/19/09 at 7:42 pm

I never used to know the 70s hit 'Say You Love Me' was by Fleetwood Mac.  In Canada, it was also a major hit for singer Shirley Eikhard, and so popular her version was, I know lots of people who also didn't know it was a Fleetwood Mac original.

Written By: gibbo on 06/19/09 at 8:19 pm

In 1975....I was shocked (and embarrassed) to discover this great "new" song I heard on the radio was actually Back In The USSR by The Beatles!!!  :-\\

Written By: snozberries on 06/19/09 at 10:11 pm

I didn't know you could ignite hair spray by spraying it in front of a lighter until I saw it done on some show!

Written By: coqueta83 on 06/19/09 at 10:34 pm

I didn't know you could ignite hair spray by spraying it in front of a lighter until I saw it done on some show!

When I was in 7th grade, this one girl did that with a can of Aqua Net in the girl's P.E. locker room!  :o  Luckily nobody got hurt (and lucky for her there were no teachers around when she did it!).

Written By: whistledog on 06/19/09 at 10:37 pm

Here's a Macgyver-esque trick:

Fill a water pistol with hairspray.  Then take a long match and tape it to the end of the gun, with the tip of the match just slightly ahead of the barrel of the gun.  Strike the match against a brick wall, and fire at will!  Homemade flame throwers are dangerous though.  Kids, don't try this at home ;D

Written By: Brigitte on 06/19/09 at 10:39 pm

I would have started an RRSP when I was 16 years old!

Written By: whistledog on 06/19/09 at 10:46 pm

I would have started an RRSP when I was 16 years old!

The money you would have for the future would be grand!

Written By: Frank on 06/20/09 at 12:00 am

... until you saw it in a Movie or a TV Show, or maybe a song you never knew was done by someone else?
♦ The first time I ever heard of a 401k was on TV, and for the longest time, I never knew what it was.  In Canada, we call it a "Pension" and always assumed that term was global.

I remember that. 401K., Yup, we called it a retirement plan I believe.

Written By: 90steen on 06/20/09 at 1:27 am

When I was in 7th grade, this one girl did that with a can of Aqua Net in the girl's P.E. locker room!   :o  Luckily nobody got hurt (and lucky for her there were no teachers around when she did it!).

I used to do that all the time!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/20/09 at 2:29 am

Did you know that John Lennon can be heard swearing in Hey Jude by the beatles?

Written By: tv on 06/21/09 at 4:18 pm

I never knew hollywood actors Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgwick were married until a few years ago. My mom's like what is wrong with you they have been married for a long time.

I didn;t knew Trent Lott or Newt Gingrich were former speakers of the house in the 90's until I started following politics like 7 months ago. Both Lott and Gingrich were fired by their respective presidential administrations.

Written By: Step-chan on 06/21/09 at 6:09 pm

I never knew about memes until Airrider used the word on here.

Written By: woops on 06/21/09 at 9:34 pm

Many edited scenes from vintage theatrical cartoon shorts and those that were banned...

Written By: Step-chan on 06/22/09 at 3:10 pm

Many edited scenes from vintage theatrical cartoon shorts and those that were banned...

Same with me.

Check for new replies or respond here...