inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Monumental birthdays

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/11/09 at 1:38 am

Maybe that's not the right word, but I can't think exactly the word I wanna use.

Think back to those birthdays that were typically celebrated more so then others, for example, when you turned 18, 21, 30, 40, 50 and I forget what age Jewish kids are bar/bat mitzvah'd (14 maybe?) 

Anybody wanna share any memories from special birthday celebrations?  I'm coming up really soon on a landmark birthday (40th  :o  (when did I get THAT old??!!!!)) and I'm just curious if anybody had anything special happen on a birthday?

I can remember some of my birthdays,  21 - I had to work but when I came home my mom had a surprise party with my family (my aunt and uncle bought me a 4 pack of wine coolers)  lol

Age 30, I think I panicked since all my friends were married and had families of their own.  I turned 30 and got married 6 months later to someone I met on my birthday.  No I wasn't drunk when I met him (or when I married him)  lol 

Subject: Re: Monumental birthdays

Written By: Frank on 07/11/09 at 1:44 am

- When I turned 40, my wife invited about 60 people and we booked a room and it was really cool. Lots of people and Chinese food only

- When I turned 18 I went to see Genesis in concert ( that same day) with a friend who was born the same day as I was (but 1 year older) One of the best concerts I saw.

(Jewish bat mitzvah is when they turn 13)

Written By: snozberries on 07/11/09 at 5:43 am

When I turned 21 I got so drunk I was kicked out of a club about 15 minutes after being let in.

The one I'm looking forward to is my 44th (that's still 3 years away) I want to have a huge bash.... and .... you're all invited!  8)

Written By: loki 13 on 07/11/09 at 6:16 am

For me it was when I turned 19, why? because no one in my family remembered.  >:(

To their defense it was the same day my wife and newborn daughter came home from the hospital. She was
born on April 5 but my wife had some complications and had to stay in the hospital for a week and their minds
were preoccupied. 19 is when I also reached legal drinking age so after dinner when my dad finally remembered
he went to the liquor store and bought me a case of Lowenbrau.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 07/11/09 at 6:23 am

For me it was when I turned 19, why? because no one in my family remembered.  >:(

To their defense it was the same day my wife and newborn daughter came home from the hospital. She was
born on April 5 but my wife had some complications and had to stay in the hospital for a week and their minds
were preoccupied. 19 is when I also reached legal drinking age so after dinner when my dad finally remembered
he went to the liquor store and bought me a case of Lowenbrau.  ;D

Sixteen Nineteen Candles anyone  ;)

Written By: loki 13 on 07/11/09 at 6:44 am

Sixteen Nineteen Candles anyone  ;)

In the end of that Sam got exactly what she wanted, a cake and the hot guy. Me, all I got was a case of beer........
Okay, now I see the connection with both got exactly what we wanted.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 07/11/09 at 6:45 am

In the end of that Sam got exactly what she wanted, a cake and the hot guy. Me, all I got was a case of beer........
Okay, now I see the connection with both got exactly what we wanted.  ;D

......and a healthy wife and daughter at home!  :P

Written By: loki 13 on 07/11/09 at 6:55 am

......and a healthy wife and daughter at home!  :P

Wait, I was just saying.....I was trying to.......oh, hell, there's no begging out of this one so
just color me stupid.  :-[

Written By: snozberries on 07/11/09 at 7:18 am

Wait, I was just saying.....I was trying to.......oh, hell, there's no begging out of this one so
just color me stupid.  :-[

no worries I know what you meant... but you know I couldn't let that one go  ;D  I'd give you more karma if I could guess I owe you more tomorrow!

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/11/09 at 8:22 pm

They do sweet sixteens up big here in NY and it's just totally not my thing.  I would just  8-P at the thought of having my own.  My older and favorite cousin Susan, just couldn't let my birthday pass without a little celebration, though, and she and her friends surprised me with a small party at her house.  It was so low-key and thoughtful, the memory always makes me smile  :)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/11/09 at 8:31 pm

My 12th birthday I got to go up in a hot air balloon.

34th birthday PA Governor Ed Rendell wished me a happy birthday.

Written By: Womble on 07/12/09 at 1:08 pm

When I turned 30 my brother, sister-in-law and my best friend took me out for a night on the town in NYC. That was the most special and memorable Birthday I ever had. A really great time was had by all.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/12/09 at 3:52 pm

Best birthdays:

6th-I got my first 2 wheeler bicycle. I also had a BIG party. It was the first time that I was introduced to trick candles thanks to my oldest sister. That was the only negative thing that happened. I also met my childhood best friend. She moved into the neighborhood the day before my party and I invited her and from that point on, we were inseparable (until I moved away at the age of 8).

8th-I had to go to school but it just happened that we had a field trip that day-to see Peter Pan on stage (in fact, a girl who was in my sister's class played Michael so the entire school was there to cheer her on-yes, a girl played Michael). I didn't have my permission slip because my mother was a chaperone.  When we got back to the school after the play, my class ate lunch outside (since it was a beautiful day) and afterward, they had a cake for me.  :)

16th-my parents threw me a Sweet 16th party.

30th-wasn't a GREAT birthday but certainly memorable. The only thing I wanted was flowers. I didn't care what kind or from whom-just flowers. So, the guy I was living with got me a male stripper.  :o :o  I think the flowers would have been cheaper-and lasted longer.

40th-I threw myself a party. Hadn't had a birthday party since I was 16 and I felt like I was due.

Debating whether I want to throw myself a big bash for the big 5-0. But, Carlos & I may decide to throw a big 10th anniversary party-they both are the same year so we shall see.

(BTW, great topic.)

Cat 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/13/09 at 9:57 pm

My 16th birthday, my parents threw me this great oldies dance/party. Everyone had to dress up as either a 50's girl/guy, hippie, or beatnik. It was so much fun! We played games, listened to oldies, danced...it was great!

Written By: karen on 07/14/09 at 12:18 pm

My birthday is in August (during the school holiday) so most of my childhood parties were v low-key - just a few friends from the same road I lived on.

My parents gave us all the choice of having a big 18th or 21st party -we couldn't have both!

For my 18th I opted to go to a night-club with some friends.  For my 21st I had a big family and friends party with food and a bar.  I still have the jewellery boxes I was given.

For my 30th we had a barbecue at our house for friends and family.  Most memorable moment was Dai was carrying Elizabeth around (she was about 9 months old) and he walked into the path of a frisbee.  Elizabeth got a huge nosebleed all down his shirt.

Also Dai paid for me to go on a 'Flying With Cofidence' course at a local airport.

For my 40th we are probably going to have a barbecue here.  I was hoping to book a local park pavillion but they were all booked by the time I called.

Written By: Frank on 07/14/09 at 6:16 pm

Debating whether I want to throw myself a big bash for the big 5-0.
Cat 

Oh, don't remind me. Coming up to that too in 4 years.

Check for new replies or respond here...