inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 35 is considered middle-age?

Written By: Fairee07 on 07/25/09 at 11:01 pm

That's how society seems to see it. I wouldn't call anybody over 35 a spring chicken but consider 35-39 to be late young adulthood.

And no it's not because I'm 33.5 and unfortunately closer to 35 than 30. :( For me ever since the age of 11, I've always seen middle-age begin at 40. And 40-44 is what I consider the EARLY part of middle-age.

Subject: Re: 35 is considered middle-age?

Written By: snozberries on 07/25/09 at 11:52 pm

them's fighting words around here  >:(  middle aged is whatever is 20 years older than my current age...so right now middle aged is currently 61  :D

Written By: gibbo on 07/26/09 at 1:05 am

them's fighting words around here  >:(   middle aged is whatever is 20 years older than my current age...so right now middle aged is currently 61  :D

Let me get this straight? Next year, middle aged will begin at 62 and so on?  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 07/26/09 at 1:24 am

Let me get this straight? Next year, middle aged will begin at 62 and so on?  ;D

yoou catch on quickly!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/26/09 at 3:34 am

If middile age is considered 35 then that means I have to die at 70, I wish to live longer than that!

Written By: loki 13 on 07/26/09 at 7:38 am

Middle age is nothing more than the halfway point to the world's average life expectancy. As of 2008, that average
is 70 years old, so yeah, 35 is middle aged. But don't fret it, after all it is just a number and life expectancies change
by where you live, race and gender. 35 may be the world average for middle age but not necessarily your middle age.

Written By: snozberries on 07/26/09 at 10:02 am

Middle age is nothing more than the halfway point to the world's average life expectancy. As of 2008, that average
is 70 years old, so yeah, 35 is middle aged. But don't fret it, after all it is just a number and life expectancies change
by where you live, race and gender. 35 may be the world average for middle age but not necessarily your middle age.

its not the number I object to its the term. I find it highly derogatory... you might as well go around calling people pre-old or something  >:(

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/26/09 at 10:39 am

I agree 35 seems early for it these days, probably just because alot of people simply act, dress or just come across as younger. It has nothing to do with being cool (individual people can be cool or youthful at any age), it's just to identify a point of life between being young and old.

I read something once that said it was 40-65, I think that's pretty accurate - again, having nothing to do with the way people are as individuals.

Written By: loki 13 on 07/26/09 at 10:45 am

its not the number I object to its the term. I find it highly derogatory... you might as well go around calling people pre-old or something  >:(

I have to remember not to be drinking anything when I read your post; I tired of cleaning the screen.  ;D

If that term is offensive you must really despise elderly or senior citizen, and at what age do we become those? A person
is eligible for AARP at 50, is that when we get deemed senior citizen?

I don't get hung up on age or the terms for them, I am getting old plan and simple. What I don't like is when people give
their age as young, e.g. "I'm 60 years young today."

Written By: snozberries on 07/26/09 at 10:48 am

I have to remember not to be drinking anything when I read your post; I tired of cleaning the screen.  ;D

If that term is offensive you must really despise elderly or senior citizen, and at what age do we become those? A person
is eligible for AARP at 50, is that when we get deemed senior citizen?

I don't get hung up on age or the terms for them, I am getting old plan and simple. What I don't like is when people give
their age as young, e.g. "I'm 60 years young today."

Sorry.... let me know when I owe you a new monitorl!  ;)

lets see if middle aged is 20 years older than my current age then senior is about 35 and elderly is at least 50.

basically I believe in two states of aging... alive... and dead....  when I'm dead you can call me anything you want!  :D

Written By: gibbo on 07/26/09 at 10:28 pm

Sorry.... let me know when I owe you a new monitorl!  ;)

lets see if middle aged is 20 years older than my current age then senior is about 35 and elderly is at least 50.

basically I believe in two states of aging... alive... and dead....  when I'm dead you can call me anything you want!  :D

Ohh...Just give it up snoz!  You may as well just lie down in a pine box right now!  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 07/26/09 at 11:25 pm

Ohh...Just give it up snoz!  You may as well just lie down in a pne box right now!  ;D

you first old man!  :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/27/09 at 2:10 am

Sorry.... let me know when I owe you a new monitorl!  ;)

basically I believe in two states of aging... alive... and dead....  when I'm dead you can call me anything you want!  :D
I am 50 and do not consider myself elderly.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/27/09 at 11:06 am

Age is a state of mind-and right now I'm 143.  :D ;D ;D ;D

I guess in some circles I would be considered middle aged. But, I have always felt young-I am the youngest in my family, my husband & his sister are older than I am & most of my friends have always been older than me. It wasn't until recent years that I started to make friends with people younger than I am-many of them are on this message board. It not because I am prejudice against younger people-it's just that the circles I traveled in most people were older than I am.

Cat 

Written By: snozberries on 07/27/09 at 11:21 am

I am 50 and do not consider myself elderly.

no you missed the point philip.....

middle aged is 20 years older than my current ages 

so

"senior"  is 35 years older than my current age

and

"Elderly" is about 50 years than my current age....

Using my logic- you have 25 years until you hit Senior (as in Senior Citizen)
and 40 years until you hit Elderly!  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/27/09 at 11:27 am

no you missed the point philip.....

middle aged is 20 years older than my current ages 

so

"senior"  is 35 years older than my current age

and

"Elderly" is about 50 years than my current age....

Using my logic- you have 25 years until you hit Senior (as in Senior Citizen)
and 40 years until you hit Elderly!  ;)
Thanks I see it now.

Written By: 90steen on 07/28/09 at 9:12 pm

I've always thought 40's were middle aged. 35 does seem to young. I have a 33 year old sister who i grew up with, and I remember her and her friends (and some are probably 34 and 35 this day) being so young, rebellious, and stupid. And i can't believe they're middle aged? It also makes me feel old because pretty soon I'll be 35. I can't even believe I'm gonna be 30 in less than 6 months already, because i never imagined myself as a 30 year old. A friend of mine who I went to school with, just turned 29, is a counselor and has a lot of under 18 clients. She told me one of them said that "anybody could be in a music video" and when she asked if she could, the kid said "no offense, but you're kind of old."  :o

Written By: seamermar on 07/29/09 at 6:42 pm

What a hell is the age ? nothing but a state of mind.  You can be a young man tired of life without having experiences or be an old man living the next day as the new one.
We get older when we can't fall in love, none we cannot fall in love cuz we get old.

The fashion of labels is a trend that I hate. Everyone is different within his own "rate and range", so somebody has their own  "middle age".

As for me I rather choose my personal way to measure my time. I count my lifetime as long as breathetaking days. The more I gather the younger I feel.
Nowadays I'm able to fall in love with the same things that when I was a lad. A setting sun, a kiss of my girl, starting a new job, singing new and old songs.
Yes my hair is grey and my knees hurt, I guess some of you will label me as a middle age, it's not my fault, just the average. Nevertheless I feel every day younger than before. I start each and every day with the same illusion to live, share, learn and love all around...till the day I expire.
I don't believe in labels ;D let me laugh as I think none of us can know what it's their middle age till he or she is inside the "pine box", then ...who give a damn about ?

Didn't you see a boy bored of living ? I did :\'( And people  believe me when I say it made me feel very sad, they're gonna jump over all their ages without a profit in the soul.

Time fades away I know,
I can't stop it anyhow
the more I live
the more I feel
trat's what it counts. ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/10/09 at 9:14 pm

I've always thought 40's were middle aged. 35 does seem to young. I have a 33 year old sister who i grew up with, and I remember her and her friends (and some are probably 34 and 35 this day) being so young, rebellious, and stupid. And i can't believe they're middle aged? It also makes me feel old because pretty soon I'll be 35. I can't even believe I'm gonna be 30 in less than 6 months already, because i never imagined myself as a 30 year old. A friend of mine who I went to school with, just turned 29, is a counselor and has a lot of under 18 clients. She told me one of them said that "anybody could be in a music video" and when she asked if she could, the kid said "no offense, but you're kind of old."  :o

I hear ya, it even feels weird to me that 40 is middle aged now. They seem pretty young to me and really not that much older, I knew alot of goofy people like that when I was growing up too. My typical babysitters as a kid were born in like 1970. For instance, I remember this one girl and her friends watching me, borrowed the golf cart we had (we lived on a golf course then) to go joyriding... bizarre to think that chick is probably a married mom today.

Sucks that kid said that about your friend though, people in their 20s always seemed young to me. I think it's because my dad is older then usual though. Like when I was growing up and heard him refer to a 30 year old as a "kid" or otherwise I could tell there was a generation gap, it indirectly made me think that too. They were way older than me, but I knew they were young in someone's eyes too, if that makes sense.

Written By: Frank on 08/11/09 at 2:47 pm

I hear ya, it even feels weird to me that 40 is middle aged now. They seem pretty young to me and really not that much older, I knew alot of goofy people like that when I was growing up too. My typical babysitters as a kid were born in like 1970. For instance, I remember this one girl and her friends watching me, borrowed the golf cart we had (we lived on a golf course then) to go joyriding... bizarre to think that chick is probably a married mom today.

Sucks that kid said that about your friend though, people in their 20s always seemed young to me. I think it's because my dad is older then usual though. Like when I was growing up and heard him refer to a 30 year old as a "kid" or otherwise I could tell there was a generation gap, it indirectly made me think that too. They were way older than me, but I knew they were young in someone's eyes too, if that makes sense.

I'm in my mid forties and don't feel middle aged at all. 

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/11/09 at 9:43 pm

My grandma is 88 and she is one of the "youngest" people I know.  I have more fun with her than a lot of my friends. 

I'm 31, and I'm still waiting to grow up.  I seriously feel like my husband and I are just playing house.  We had some cousins come and stay with us a couple of weeks ago and they brought their ten year old son.  He wandered around my house, looking at all of the stuff we have, our "toys" and said "it kind of seems like two big kids live here."  It was the truest thing I have ever heard.  If I'm middle aged, that's fine.  I know better.

Written By: Gis on 08/13/09 at 11:43 am

I'm 31, and I'm still waiting to grow up.  I seriously feel like my husband and I are just playing house.  We had some cousins come and stay with us a couple of weeks ago and they brought their ten year old son.  He wandered around my house, looking at all of the stuff we have, our "toys" and said "it kind of seems like two big kids live here."  It was the truest thing I have ever heard.  If I'm middle aged, that's fine.  I know better.
Sounds just like our house!  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/16/09 at 12:55 am

No -- if you're a Hobbit.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/17/09 at 6:20 am

No -- if you're a Hobbit.
How old does a Hobbit live for?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/18/09 at 7:47 pm

How old does a Hobbit live for?

I'm not a Tolkeinologist, but I think the upper reaches of Hobbit lifespan is 130 years.  At the beginning LOTR, Bilbo Baggins is celebrating his 111th birthday, or his "eleventy-first."

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/19/09 at 4:15 am

I'm not a Tolkeinologist, but I think the upper reaches of Hobbit lifespan is 130 years.  At the beginning LOTR, Bilbo Baggins is celebrating his 111th birthday, or his "eleventy-first."

From http://www.kieben.com/ring/hobbits.html

Some Hobbits have lived as long as 130 years, and their average life span is 100 years. 33 years old, the of Frodo Baggins, is considered "Coming of Age" to adulthood.

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/19/09 at 9:50 pm

For every thread on the Internet, there's an XKCD comic.  In this case, there are two.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/lease.png

(You should talk to the girl down the hall; I think you'd like her.  Lemme know if you find out why she's ordering all those colored plastic balls.)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/20/09 at 8:04 pm

For every thread on the Internet, there's an XKCD comic.  In this case, there are two.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/lease.png

(You should talk to the girl down the hall; I think you'd like her.  Lemme know if you find out why she's ordering all those colored plastic balls.)

One of my exes (now 41 years old) has pictures of her "My Little Pony" setup on her website.

Remember, it's not regression, it's kitsch!  Here we have the "My Little Pony" collection, and there we have the John Waters library...

::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/25/09 at 10:07 pm

One of my exes (now 41 years old) has pictures of her "My Little Pony" setup on her website.

Remember, it's not regression, it's kitsch!  Here we have the "My Little Pony" collection, and there we have the John Waters library...  ::)

Pay no attention to the 6 full-size arcade machines in my home.  If I had another 10x10 room, I'd have another 6 machines in that, too.

Written By: snozberries on 08/28/09 at 1:58 pm

Pay no attention to the 6 full-size arcade machines in my home.  If I had another 10x10 room, I'd have another 6 machines in that, too.

color me green with envy!

Written By: Davester on 08/28/09 at 2:24 pm

Another 10x10?  With six coin-ops, doesn't leave much room for line dancing...

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/29/09 at 9:24 pm

Another 10x10?  With six coin-ops, doesn't leave much room for line dancing...

OK, so what's the downside? :)

Written By: Fairee07 on 08/31/09 at 10:00 pm

Remember, it's not regression, it's kitsch!  Here we have the "My Little Pony" collection, and there we have the John Waters library...

::)

That makes me feel better because I'm 33 and still have my Anne of Green Gables movies along with the Little Mermaid

Check for new replies or respond here...