inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Spielberg to direct Harvey remake

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/09 at 4:38 pm

Steven Spielberg is to direct a remake of 1950 James Stewart classic Harvey - the tale of a man who claims his best friend is a giant invisible rabbit.

Casting for the film, a co-production between 20th Century Fox and Spielberg's DreamWorks Studios, has already begun.

The original film was based on a Pulitzer Prize-winning Broadway play of the same name by Mary Chase.

A Fox spokesman said the film could be in US cinemas by the end of 2010.

Production is due to begin early next year.

Stewart received a best actor nomination at the 1951 Oscars for his performance in the original while his co-star, Josephine Hull, won best supporting actress.

Subject: Re: Spielberg to direct Harvey remake

Written By: danootaandme on 08/05/09 at 5:19 pm

They should leave well enough alone. 

Written By: gibbo on 08/05/09 at 6:33 pm

Yes, I agree ... they can only sully the name of a great fim!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/09 at 12:49 am

Just re-release the original.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 08/09/09 at 8:16 pm

I wanna knock Spieldberg crooked!

Has he lost his mind? As the resident Jimmy Stewart # 1 Fan, (also MJ #1 fan, and Prince #1 Frienemy) I have to throw my hat in the ring! I think it will be disastrous to remake the movie! At one time, I thought Michael Jackson would have been soft enough to portray Elwood P. Dowd, but the only person who was made for that role was Jimmy Stewart. I don't care who played it on Broadway, Jimmy made it in the silver screen adaptation. Harvey was the movie that brought me to Jimmy.

If someone remakes this film and screw it over, the younger generation will remember it for the bombing performance, rather than Jimmy's sweet and genteel performance. I can't think of anyone, past or present who should play Elwood. And I swear to God, if Zac Efron is picked as Elwood, I will picket my local theatre!

You don't mess with a classic. What's next? Another flop of the Wizard of Oz? Gone With the Wind? Hollywood has reached it's final plateus--MAKING A MOCKERY AND PARODY OF ITSELF!

Jimmy was just to childlike and endearing in the movie, I found myself laughing and crying at the same time. No one else can do that!

I won't be seeing this film. Not even if Prince pulled up in a purple limo and begged me. I'd chase him off my property with my baseball bat. (I'm really ticked)  >:(  <---Face not angry enough.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/10/09 at 1:29 am

I wanna knock Spieldberg crooked!

Has he lost his mind? As the resident Jimmy Stewart # 1 Fan, (also MJ #1 fan, and Prince #1 Frienemy) I have to throw my hat in the ring! I think it will be disastrous to remake the movie! At one time, I thought Michael Jackson would have been soft enough to portray Elwood P. Dowd, but the only person who was made for that role was Jimmy Stewart. I don't care who played it on Broadway, Jimmy made it in the silver screen adaptation. Harvey was the movie that brought me to Jimmy.

If someone remakes this film and screw it over, the younger generation will remember it for the bombing performance, rather than Jimmy's sweet and genteel performance. I can't think of anyone, past or present who should play Elwood. And I swear to God, if Zac Efron is picked as Elwood, I will picket my local theatre!

You don't mess with a classic. What's next? Another flop of the Wizard of Oz? Gone With the Wind? Hollywood has reached it's final plateus--MAKING A MOCKERY AND PARODY OF ITSELF!

Jimmy was just to childlike and endearing in the movie, I found myself laughing and crying at the same time. No one else can do that!

I won't be seeing this film. Not even if Prince pulled up in a purple limo and begged me. I'd chase him off my property with my baseball bat. (I'm really ticked)  >:(  <---Face not angry enough.
It is the same for me of that remake of Rear Window with Christopher Reeve, I wish to keep the image of Jimmy Stewart and Hitchcock's magic  in my mind.

Written By: Frank on 08/10/09 at 1:41 am

It is the same for me of that remake of Rear Window with Christopher Reeve, I wish to keep the image of Jimmy Stewart and Hitchcock's magic  in my mind.

Sometimes you just leave classics alone.
What's next? Citizen Kane? Casablanca? Gone with the wind (With Britney Spears as Scarlett)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 08/16/09 at 2:41 pm

FRANK!  :o

For the love of all things Holy, please don't even joke like that! Britney Spears? As Scarlett o'Hara? More like Belle Watling!

Lemme Guess, also with Robbin Pattison as Rhett? I'd tear my theathre apart brick by brick.  >:(

Check for new replies or respond here...