inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Movies shown in your school, as a kid.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/25/09 at 10:13 pm

Crowning up, I saw.....

- The Breakfest Club

-  Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

-  Ferris Bueller's Day Off

-  Gandhi

-  Short Circuit

-  The Lion King

-  Aladdin

-  The Dark Crystal

-  Mrs. Doubtfire

-  Grease

-  Macbeth (the ultra bloody, hard R rated, Roman Polanski version)

- Romeo and Juliet

- West Side Story

- Jesus Chirst Superstar

- a Bugs Bunny cartoon

-  Watership Down

Anyone seen any films, played in your classrooms?

Subject: Re: Movies shown in your school, as a kid.

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/25/09 at 10:51 pm

The last day of 4th grade my entire class watched "The Princess Bride".  :)

In my 8th grade social studies class, we watched "To Kill a Mockingbird", "12 Angry Men", and a couple of others but I don't remember the names anymore.

Oh, and in Driver's Ed my sophomore year in high school we watched "Duel". 

Written By: Red Ant on 08/25/09 at 10:58 pm

I remember Watership Down, barely. It's been a long time ago.

I really remember Romeo and Juliet, with my 9th grade English teacher Mrs. Billcheck. She told us about the nudity, and made a bfd of the 1/10th of a second nipple shot...

"It's in this scene!"
"Get ready!"
"Here it comes!"
"THERE IT IS!!!!"

lol, no wonder I'm warped. It's my teachers' doing.

Ant

Written By: whistledog on 08/25/09 at 11:01 pm

In one of my high school classes (I forget which one), we watched 'Midnight Express'

Written By: Davester on 08/25/09 at 11:44 pm

Crowning up, I saw.....

- The Breakfest Club

-  Gandhi

-  Short Circuit

-  The Lion King

-  Aladdin

-  The Dark Crystal

-  Mrs. Doubtfire

-  Grease

- Romeo and Juliet

- West Side Story

- Jesus Chirst Superstar

- a Bugs Bunny cartoon

-  Watership Down

As classroom education I remember watching Gallipoli in high school and a made-for-TV movie called Ryan(?) - not sure of the title but it's about the kidnapped child who turned-up murdered...

In grade school the school started "movie day" on Saturday afternoons in the school cafeteria.  Refreshments were provided by the moms.  I remember going to a few of these and the features were things like Munster Go Home and Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein.  In jr. high movie day was re-instated for a time and I remember watching The Apple Dumpling Gang...

Written By: Frank on 08/26/09 at 12:14 am

As I attended Feench school, saw many French film that no one would know.
Did see Godspell, Jesus Christ Superstar, Old yeller, Lady and the tramp..all these in the early 70s.

Written By: Red Ant on 08/26/09 at 1:11 am

I just got done watching Watership Down again, on YouTube.  :o

Ant

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/26/09 at 2:34 am

I had only education films in black and white at my school.

Written By: gibbo on 08/26/09 at 9:02 am

Gee...I must have gone to a poor school. I can only remember seeing " One Day In the Life of Ivan Denisovich" ...that's a movie title you don't forget! (had to walk to a theatre for it though) ...and for some reason we viewed "The Wrath of God" as well...

Other than those we read those thingies...you may remember them....BOOKS!   ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/26/09 at 9:05 am

Gee...I must have gone to a poor school. I can only remember seeing " One Day In the Life of Ivan Denisovich" ...that's a movie title you don't forget! (had to walk to a theatre for it though) ...and for some reason we viewed "The Wrath of God" as well...

Other than those we read those thingies...you may remember them....BOOKS!  ;)
There was books in my school too.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/26/09 at 9:06 am

None.  I don't think our parents would have stood for it. We did watch Alan Shepard going up in space and the moon landing. 

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/26/09 at 9:22 am

The first Star Trek movie.  Phantom of the Opera (old black and white one with Lon Chaney) Freaky Friday (Jodie Foster)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/26/09 at 9:24 am

None.  I don't think our parents would have stood for it. We did watch Alan Shepard going up in space and the moon landing. 
I do remember seeing programs about the moon landings at school on a black and white televisiion.

Written By: Frank on 08/26/09 at 12:42 pm

I do remember seeing programs about the moon landings at school on a black and white televisiion.

One of the classrooms saw the last game of the 1972 Canada/USSR hockey series.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/26/09 at 1:00 pm

One of the classrooms saw the last game of the 1972 Canada/USSR hockey series.
Sport, now there is a different subject. Not a chance at my school., not even Ashes cricket.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 08/26/09 at 2:32 pm

I'm afraid I don't really remember a whole lot, but the ones that I do remember were:

House of Usher (starring Vincent Price) in 11th grade English.  Also saw The Pit and the Pendulum, and was already a huge Edgar Allen Poe fan and Vincent Price fan.

Written By: Henk on 08/26/09 at 2:51 pm

Oh yes, I remember watching some movies at school. Most of them even twice or more! ;D

The only one that you  * might*  know is 'Glas' (Glass), the Academy Award winning movie by Bert Haanstra. Here's a short clipping

Written By: snozberries on 08/26/09 at 10:54 pm

Man I got gyped!!! We didn't see a whole lot of films when I was in school...

we saw a fire safety film in fourth grade where a woman was smoking while using hair spray and her head engulfed in flames!  :o

we saw

Romeo & Juliet
To Kill A Mockingbird
and some documentary about Mother Theresa

Written By: Davester on 08/27/09 at 5:42 am

Crowning up, I saw.....

- The Breakfest Club

-  Gandhi

-  Short Circuit

-  The Lion King

-  Aladdin

-  The Dark Crystal

-  Mrs. Doubtfire

-  Grease

- Romeo and Juliet

- West Side Story

- Jesus Chirst Superstar

- a Bugs Bunny cartoon

-  Watership Down

I can't imagine why your school would show this selection of flicks, at school, during school hours (with the exeption of the classics adaptations and historical dramas.)  If that ever happened around here I'm sure the district would have a riot on their hands, by the parents...

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/27/09 at 7:03 pm

My American History teacher really wanted to show "Glory" in class because we were studying the Civil War, but was denied permission. 

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/27/09 at 8:25 pm

My American History teacher really wanted to show "Glory" in class because we were studying the Civil War, but was denied permission. 

Why?  The movie is probably about as close to what really happened as any Civil War period movie.

Written By: mooster on 08/28/09 at 3:08 am

We were never shown movies at school  :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/28/09 at 4:14 am

We were never shown movies at school  :-\\
At my school, classes were taken to the cinema to watch films, but by pure coincidence I was sick on those days and never went on them> I can only recall the class going to Fantasia and Oliver!

Written By: danootaandme on 08/28/09 at 8:40 am

Why?  The movie is probably about as close to what really happened as any Civil War period movie.

That's why

Side note,  my great uncle was in the U.S. Colored Troops and marched into Richmond with Grant, and was at Appomattox for the surrender.  When I was in fourth grade we had a Civil War play and the teacher told me I would have to be a slave because blacks didn't do anything in the war.  I don't know what went on in the meeting between the teacher, the principal, my parents and grandparents, but I didn't play a slave.

Written By: snozberries on 08/28/09 at 9:42 am

that's probably why.... when was the last time "real" history was taught in schools?  ;)

Written By: snozberries on 08/28/09 at 9:47 am

That's why

Side note,  my great uncle was in the U.S. Colored Troops and marched into Richmond with Grant, and was at Appomattox for the surrender.  When I was in fourth grade we had a Civil War play and the teacher told me I would have to be a slave because blacks didn't do anything in the war.  I don't know what went on in the meeting between the teacher, the principal, my parents and grandparents, but I didn't play a slave.

OMG- I love that story- I can imagine your family going off on the teacher. What an ignorant thing for the teacher to say  >:(

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/28/09 at 9:58 am

I can't imagine why your school would show this selection of flicks, at school, during school hours (with the exeption of the classics adaptations and historical dramas.)  If that ever happened around here I'm sure the district would have a riot on their hands, by the parents...

I got lucky, I guess....

;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/28/09 at 10:00 am

By the way, when our school was show the film, The Dark Crystal, thaere was an eclipse outside, so we have had to stay indoors, while the movie was shown.

;D

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/28/09 at 7:15 pm

Oh, I know, and it happens to be one of my favorite movies.  My teacher said the reason why he was denied permission (by the principal!) was because of the movie's rating (R).  ::)  :(

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/28/09 at 8:30 pm

that's probably why.... when was the last time "real" history was taught in schools?  ;)

Good point.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/28/09 at 8:33 pm

Oh, I know, and it happens to be one of my favorite movies.  My teacher said the reason why he was denied permission (by the principal!) was because of the movie's rating (R).   ::)  :(

Most historical conflicts go beyond rated R.  The principal was a pansy. >:(

Written By: Davester on 08/29/09 at 7:00 pm

QFT...

Which reminds me of:

"The teacher stands in front of the class
But the lesson plan he can't recall
The student's eyes don't perceive the lies
Bouning off every f***ing wall
His composure is well kept
I guess he fears playing the fool
The complacent students sit and listen to some of that
Bulls**t that he learned in school

Europe ain't my rope to swing on
Can't learn a thing from it
Yet we hang from it
Gotta get it, gotta get it together then
Like the motherf***n' weathermen
To expose and close the doors on those who try
To strangle and mangle the truth
'Cause the circle of hatred continues unless we react
We gotta take the power back"

Take the Power Back ~ Rage Against the Machine

Written By: snozberries on 08/30/09 at 10:23 am

oh I forgot we also watch Cipher in the Snow... this depressing little film about a kid who died alone in a snow bank because everyone ignored him while he was alive....or something.

Written By: ninny on 08/30/09 at 12:44 pm

I think I have Dementia, because I don't remember any  movies.I know we read The Diary of Anne Frank, and Johnny Tremain, but I don't remember if we ever saw the movies :(

Subject: Movies shown in your school, as a kid.

Written By: Dude111 on 10/05/18 at 10:32 pm

I'm afraid I don't really remember a whole lot, but the ones that I do remember were:

House of Usher (starring Vincent Price) in 11th grade English.  Also saw The Pit and the Pendulum, and was already a huge Edgar Allen Poe fan and Vincent Price fan.

Thats more than I remember!

I only remember 1!!

OF MICE AND MEN - I think it was the original 1939 version..... We watched it on VHS and it made me cry......... It was in Middle School :)

Written By: nally on 10/08/18 at 11:57 pm

I can remember several of them.

The first one I can remember seeing at school was "Flight Of The Navigator" (I think I was in 2nd grade). For some reason I remember having an emotional reaction to it. :-\\

Written By: thisismelemon on 10/09/18 at 1:12 am

I saw A Knights Tale and Stand By Me in school

Written By: 2001 on 10/09/18 at 4:50 am

Pocahontas, Lion King, Little Mermaid Matilda, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Holes and a few others.

Written By: nally on 10/09/18 at 6:12 pm

In the 5th grade I was in a special ed class; on Friday afternoons (after lunch) my class would often watch a movie, either live-action or animated.

Some of the live-action films shown on video in said class that I can remember:
- Mary Poppins
- Island Of The Blue Dolphins
- Herbie Rides Again
- Herbie Goes Bananas

Some animated ones:
- An American Tail
- The Land Before Time
- The Little Mermaid

...to name a few.

I'll add more later (for my middle and high school years).

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/10/18 at 1:03 am

At primary school, my class went to see "Oliver!" at the cinema, but I was off sick that day.

For my English Literature, no films were shown, but I did go and see Shakespeare's "Richard II" on stage at Stafford-upon-Avon.

Written By: nally on 10/29/18 at 1:23 pm

In junior high I can remember watching three different movies in my 8th grade English class:

Groundhog Day (shortly after it had been released to video)
The Sandlot (same)
Mrs. Doubtfire

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/29/18 at 1:48 pm

We watched Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, Sybil, and other sheesh.  Oh, and "Wind In the Willows" but I hated it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/29/18 at 1:59 pm

I remember in middle school having "movie day." I really have no idea who chose the movies because they were pretty scary for a bunch of 6-8 graders. I only remember 3 of them:

-Ben (the movie about a killer rat)
-Asylum-here is the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yig3s-S-iY

-The Blob-which was tame next to the others.

Those are the ones that I remember-there may have been more. Like I said, who in their right mind pick those movies for middle school kids to see?

Cat

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 10/29/18 at 5:00 pm

Wow.  I'm amazed how so many of you saw so many commercial blockbusters in school.  Most of the things I saw were rather obscure.  I'm not sure what the titles of some of the things I saw were.  In cases where I don't know the title, I'll give a description:

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971)  Just about the only well-known film we saw in elementary school.

The Red Balloon (1956)  We saw a black and white print of it, despite the title.

Winter of the Witch (1969)  Hey, do you remember this film about a witch who lived in a family's attic and made magical blueberry pancakes that caused people to become happy?  This is one of those You-Know-You're-Of-A-Certain-Age-When-___ type of things.  New York Times article: A 1969 Film Touches a Generation

There was one film about a guy who wandered off into the woods unprepared.  Another group tries to find him.  They take food, water, flashlights, matches, warm clothing, short wave radios, walkie talkies, maps, compasses, binoculars, etc..  I think the moral of this film was supposed to be that you should always be prepared.

There were also a bunch of films that tried to "scare you straight".  The message of these films was always something along the lines of "stay away from long-haired men in sunglasses and black trench coats inviting you into their cars with candy".

We saw a whole bunch of films on Hawaiian history.  One that stood out in my mind was about the City of Refuge in Kona.  There was a guy who had violated a kapu and tried to escape to the sanctuary.  However, just before he got to the entrance of the city, one of his pursuers caught up to him and stabbed him to death with a spear.  This was to emphasize that, even if you were just one foot outside, you were not safe.  But once you were inside, nobody could touch you.

There was this one movie about the construction of the Panama Canal.  It mentioned how early attempts failed because all the workers would get malaria.

In the fourth grade our music teacher showed us a bunch of films about the history of rock-and-roll, culminating in a documentary about The Beatles.  In retrospect, she was one of the coolest and most hip teachers at our very conservative private Christian school.  I mean, you have to remember the uproar when Lennon said they were more popular than Jesus.  This was a really brave thing for her to show us this.

Naturally, being a Christian school, they showed us many short films about stories from the Bible.

My fifth grade English teacher showed us many short films about Greek mythology.

In the sixth grade, there was a short animated film my social studies teacher showed us.  It really stuck in mind for some reason.  It opens with a man who toils away day after day in a quarry.  His job involves cutting huge stone slabs --- TINK! TINK! TINK! --- and hauling them away.  One day, he can't take it any more,  so he yells at the sky / or at god / or whatever about how he wishes he were someone / something else.  The gods grant him his wish.  Then he becomes unsatisfied with that.  He wants to become MORE powerful.  God grants his wish again.  He eventually becomes a king.  But even that's not enough, because even a king can't defeat Mother Nature.  Finally, he decides he wants to become part of all-powerful Nature.  He wants to become a great big mountain.  The gods grant him his last wish.  The film ends with another quarry man chipping away at him, i.e. the mountain.  TINK! TINK! TINK!

In high school:

A black and white documentary from the 1940s or 1950s about the history of attempts to measure the speed of light.  It was kind of unintentionally hilarious.  The narrator would speak in that old-timey narrator voice about "large" technologically advanced aircraft, and you'd see these little DC-6 propeller aircraft lining up on the runway.  Just on and on like that.

Powers of Ten (1977)  My 7th grade math teacher showed this short film about the scale of the Universe.  Starting with a couple having a picnic in Chicago, it first zooms out by a factor of ten every ten seconds until you see the Virgo Cluster, then it zooms back in and goes into the man's hand down into the cells and eventually to the nucleus of an atom.  Narrated by Phil Morrison.  In the 1980s, Morrison hosted a science TV series called "The Ring of Truth".  Here's a little part of an episode with a guest appearance by Julia Child:  Julia Child burns food.

Bambi Meets Godzilla (1969)  The credits are longer than the film itself.

Grease (1978)  OK, this one was well-known.

Gaijin, a Brazilin Odyssey (1980)  Movie about Japanese immigrants working on a Brazilian farm.

Shogun (1980) Mini series adaptation of James Clavell novel starring Toshiro Mifune and Richard Chamberlain.

Bartleby (1969)  Short film adaptation of the Herman Melville story.

The Glass Menagerie  Either 1950 or 1973.  Not sure which version we saw.  Probably 1950.

The Taming of the Shrew (1967)  With Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton.

The Great Gatsby (1974)  The version with Robert Redford.

Deliverance (1972)  Another famous one.  OK, this was 12th grade, so, I'm not sure if we were still "kids".  Nevertheless, it's still surprising my teacher got away with this.

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/30/18 at 8:44 am

I remember Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Peter And The Wolf from my elementary school music teacher, along with Volume 2 of Disney's Sing-A-Long Songs (Zip-A-Dee-Do-Dah). I don't remember other movies specifically since its been decades, but they tended to be a mix of well-known popular movie classics and recent releases, and of course the seemingly obligatory Sound Of Music. I also remember a couple episodes of the PBS kids show Square One in my third grade math class. I do remember my elementary school having a G-rated restriction, becoming PG in middle school (I remember this from some school band trips), and then PG-13 in high school. I do remember A Midsummer Night's Dream and Romeo & Juliet as well as Meet The Parents and The Fast & The Furious in high school though.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/30/18 at 8:55 am

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, The Sound of Music, State Fair, some cartoon about drugs, and The Mummy 2 (2001).

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/30/18 at 9:07 am

Wow.  I'm amazed how so many of you saw so many commercial blockbusters in school.  Most of the things I saw were rather obscure.  I'm not sure what the titles of some of the things I saw were.  In cases where I don't know the title, I'll give a description:

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971)  Just about the only well-known film we saw in elementary school.

The Red Balloon (1956)  We saw a black and white print of it, despite the title.

Winter of the Witch (1969)  Hey, do you remember this film about a witch who lived in a family's attic and made magical blueberry pancakes that caused people to become happy?  This is one of those You-Know-You're-Of-A-Certain-Age-When-___ type of things.  New York Times article: A 1969 Film Touches a Generation

There was one film about a guy who wandered off into the woods unprepared.  Another group tries to find him.  They take food, water, flashlights, matches, warm clothing, short wave radios, walkie talkies, maps, compasses, binoculars, etc..  I think the moral of this film was supposed to be that you should always be prepared.

There were also a bunch of films that tried to "scare you straight".  The message of these films was always something along the lines of "stay away from long-haired men in sunglasses and black trench coats inviting you into their cars with candy".

We saw a whole bunch of films on Hawaiian history.  One that stood out in my mind was about the City of Refuge in Kona.  There was a guy who had violated a kapu and tried to escape to the sanctuary.  However, just before he got to the entrance of the city, one of his pursuers caught up to him and stabbed him to death with a spear.  This was to emphasize that, even if you were just one foot outside, you were not safe.  But once you were inside, nobody could touch you.

There was this one movie about the construction of the Panama Canal.  It mentioned how early attempts failed because all the workers would get malaria.

In the fourth grade our music teacher showed us a bunch of films about the history of rock-and-roll, culminating in a documentary about The Beatles.  In retrospect, she was one of the coolest and most hip teachers at our very conservative private Christian school.  I mean, you have to remember the uproar when Lennon said they were more popular than Jesus.  This was a really brave thing for her to show us this.

Naturally, being a Christian school, they showed us many short films about stories from the Bible.

My fifth grade English teacher showed us many short films about Greek mythology.

In the sixth grade, there was a short animated film my social studies teacher showed us.  It really stuck in mind for some reason.  It opens with a man who toils away day after day in a quarry.  His job involves cutting huge stone slabs --- TINK! TINK! TINK! --- and hauling them away.  One day, he can't take it any more,  so he yells at the sky / or at god / or whatever about how he wishes he were someone / something else.  The gods grant him his wish.  Then he becomes unsatisfied with that.  He wants to become MORE powerful.  God grants his wish again.  He eventually becomes a king.  But even that's not enough, because even a king can't defeat Mother Nature.  Finally, he decides he wants to become part of all-powerful Nature.  He wants to become a great big mountain.  The gods grant him his last wish.  The film ends with another quarry man chipping away at him, i.e. the mountain.  TINK! TINK! TINK!

In high school:

A black and white documentary from the 1940s or 1950s about the history of attempts to measure the speed of light.  It was kind of unintentionally hilarious.  The narrator would speak in that old-timey narrator voice about "large" technologically advanced aircraft, and you'd see these little DC-6 propeller aircraft lining up on the runway.  Just on and on like that.

Powers of Ten (1977)  My 7th grade math teacher showed this short film about the scale of the Universe.  Starting with a couple having a picnic in Chicago, it first zooms out by a factor of ten every ten seconds until you see the Virgo Cluster, then it zooms back in and goes into the man's hand down into the cells and eventually to the nucleus of an atom.  Narrated by Phil Morrison.  In the 1980s, Morrison hosted a science TV series called "The Ring of Truth".  Here's a little part of an episode with a guest appearance by Julia Child:  Julia Child burns food.

Gaijin, a Brazilin Odyssey (1980)  Movie about Japanese immigrants working on a Brazilian farm.

Shogun (1980) Mini series adaptation of James Clavell novel starring Toshiro Mifune and Richard Chamberlain.

The Glass Menagerie  Either 1950 or 1973.  Not sure which version we saw.  Probably 1950.

Deliverance (1972)  Another famous one.  OK, this was 12th grade, so, I'm not sure if we were still "kids".  Nevertheless, it's still surprising my teacher got away with this.

They showed DELIVERANCE to you in high school??  !!!    :o  :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/30/18 at 9:08 am

In high school:

"Deliverance", at school! I am shocked!

Written By: 80sfan on 10/30/18 at 9:17 am

This Hitler movie in 2004. I believe it was called Rise of Evil. So my Sophomore year.

Written By: AcoBrasil on 10/30/18 at 12:51 pm

- Free to Be You and Me  (music class)

Lots of Classic Short stories
- Bartleby
- Dr. Heidegger's Experiment
- The Ransom of Red Chief

Where the Red Fern Grows

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/30/18 at 12:52 pm

- Free to Be You and Me  (music class)

Lots of Classic Short stories
- Bartleby
- Dr. Heidegger's Experiment
- The Ransom of Red Chief

Where the Red Fern Grows

Our teacher read us Where The Red Fern Grows in 4th grade.  I read it again as an adult and cried for days.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/30/18 at 1:24 pm

Squeal Like a Pig!

Written By: mwalker1996 on 10/30/18 at 6:56 pm

Casper
Sherek 1 and 2
Toy Story 1 and 2
Shark Tale
A Land before time series
Mulian
Monsters inc
Stuart Lititle
Finding Nemo

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 10/31/18 at 6:38 am

They showed DELIVERANCE to you in high school??  !!!    :o  :o

Yup.  American Literature class.  Most of the students were seniors, so mostly 17 or 18 years old.

Yeah, hard to believe.

BTW, if anybody is wondering, it was not the edited-for-TV version either.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/31/18 at 6:41 am

Yup.  American Literature class.  Most of the students were seniors, so mostly 17 or 18 years old.

Yeah, hard to believe.

BTW, if anybody is wondering, it was not the edited-for-TV version either.
Uncensored... mmmm...

Great movie, with a great soundtrack.

Written By: wsmith4 on 11/05/18 at 8:27 am

Others I'd like to mention are Alvin and the Chipmunks and Coraline. I'm sure there's others, but I can't think of them right now.

They would never show these in school in this day and age.

Written By: nally on 11/22/18 at 6:17 pm

"The Outsiders", a couple of times. This was because we read the same-named novel.

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/24/19 at 4:33 pm

That reminds me, we saw "Outsiders" in elementary school once.

For my first few years of elementary school they showed "Boatniks" quite a few times on the movie projector.  No VCR yet.

In high school we watched "Glory" a few times.  And "Top Gun" more times than I could keep track of.

Written By: nally on 02/25/19 at 12:02 am

That reminds me, we saw "Outsiders" in elementary school once.

Interesting. I first watched it in middle school, since that's when I first read the novel in class. (We were tested on it after we read it, and I remember acing the test because I remembered the story well.)

Written By: violet_shy on 05/28/19 at 2:02 pm

When I was in High School(10th grade). One time we watched "Glory" in American History class. It was very sad and depressing. There were moments I cried, but I didn't want anyone to know I was crying. So I sat there watching this horrible movie sobbing as quietly as I could. And good thing we had watched it in a dark room no one could see me covering my mouth. It was awful. When the movie was over I walked out of the classroom really fast! Still covering my mouth. It was the most emotionally moving film I had ever seen.

Check for new replies or respond here...