inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Peak periods of TV Networks/Cable Channels (their prime, most classic years)

Written By: yelimsexa on 09/02/09 at 8:28 am

We talk a lot about how networks such as MTV, VH1, Nickelodeon, and the History Channel have lost their luster, shifting from the art of good entertainment to simply profitability due to ratings and advertisers.

MTV: 1981-1987
VH1: 1986-1994
Nickelodeon: 1986-1995
Game Show Network: 1994-2000 (When Price is Right left their schedule)
The Weather Channel: 1982-1999 (When Internet technology and original programming began to creep in)
USA Network: 1987-1995 (When they removed the game shows from their schedule)

Subject: Re: Peak periods of TV Networks/Cable Channels (their prime, most classic years)

Written By: Frank on 09/02/09 at 3:34 pm

Early 1970s, CBS dominated (All in the family, Mary Tyler Moore, Waltons,etc..)
Mid to late 70s, ABC dominated (Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, Mork and Mindy, Threes Company, etc..)
Mid 1980s, NBC dominated ( Cosby Show, Family Ties, Cheers, Night Court)

Subject: Re: Peak periods of TV Networks/Cable Channels (their prime, most classic years)

Written By: woops on 11/17/09 at 11:32 am

Cartoon Network... 1992 to 1998

Though I'm probably biased since non of their orginal cartoons really clicked and I was entering my "cartoons are not cool except for South Park, Family Guy, & MTV 'toons" phase when several of the shorts from "World Premiere Toons" became full shows.

"Dexter's Lab" was OK, but wasn't anything special, IMHO.

Though by 2003, older cartoons were phasing out.

Check for new replies or respond here...