inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rollerskating, making a comeback?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/13/09 at 6:10 pm

There is a rollerskating rink, reopening in Australia.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/news/local/news/general/oak-flats-rollerskating-rink-to-make-comeback/1551221.aspx

Subject: Re: Rollerskating, making a comeback?

Written By: gibbo on 09/13/09 at 8:51 pm

We actually have at least three operating roller skating rinks in Brisbane, Australia. So, The Oak Flats rink is not the only rink in Australia...

But. all the rinks I went to (back in the day) are gone!

Written By: wildcard on 09/13/09 at 10:21 pm

Our rink got stomped on buy hot shot kids with rollerblades and eventually went bankrupt. I use to love roller skating and still have skates. 

Written By: coqueta83 on 09/15/09 at 8:13 pm

I'm glad the same roller rink I used to go to as a kid is still open for business!  :)

Written By: midnite on 09/15/09 at 9:39 pm

Here in New Jersey, the girlfriend of one on my buddies insists that rollerskating is making a comeback.  But I think it may just be popular in her little rollerskating enthusiast circle.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/15/09 at 9:41 pm

we have several rollerskating rinks around here.

Written By: mooster on 09/18/09 at 5:22 am

There is a rollerskating rink, reopening in Australia.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/news/local/news/general/oak-flats-rollerskating-rink-to-make-comeback/1551221.aspx

Wouldn't have a clue about roller skating rinks around here - back when I was a teen ice skating was all the rage! There are at least two in my area - one newish one - and the other one has been going for almost 30 years!

Written By: KKay on 09/21/09 at 11:53 am

We have one here in town, about three years old and everyone loves it.  I have been rollerskating in the park for a year; funny that people stop me and
say, "Are those rollerskates?"

I tell them to go get some and meet me up sometime in the park.  It's easy and it's really fun to be a little retro when you exercise.

Written By: Tyler on 10/04/09 at 10:59 pm

Hi,
I'm 16 and I didn't even know what roller skates were untill recently.  I'm just a teen who wears a hat backwards/to the side, so I guess I don't know much about things that were popular in the past.  I like to skateboard, a few months ago when I was skateboarding an older person asked me how come kids don't use roller skates any more...I said you mean roller blades, I use those sometimes.  (I thought those words were interchangable) He said no not roller blades, rollar skates, and explained the difference.   I said wow, I didn't even know about those.  Then a few weeks later I seen someone with roller skates, that was the first time I seen them.   They don't have any roller rinks in my town in Iowa.  They have an ice rink and a skate park, which are cool for me.
-----Tyler

Check for new replies or respond here...