inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Albums that have sold very well despite not having a hit single

Written By: yelimsexa on 09/18/09 at 7:47 am

This should be a more interesting topic. However, albums where no official singles were serviced (such as Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon) are not acceptable simply due to the lack of a service attempt.

Subject: Re: Albums that have sold very well despite not having a hit single

Written By: danootaandme on 09/18/09 at 7:58 am

I don't understand what the discussion is about.

Written By: yelimsexa on 09/18/09 at 8:23 am

The point of this discussion is while most albums have at least one hit single to drive up the sales of an album, there are notable a few albums which have sold Gold/Platinum despite not having a Top 10 hit (or sometimes even less); some of the rock "dinosaurs" albums of the '90s are a good example where the singles barely make the charts in favor of modern hip hop/R&B/young pop.

Written By: whistledog on 09/18/09 at 9:11 am

In the early 80s, 'Suspended Animation', the 2nd album by UK Punk group The Monks was (at the time) only released in Canada.  Despite no hit singles, the album rose to #30 on the Canadian albums chart in July of 1981.

http://www.strawbsweb.co.uk/related/monks/suspan.jpg

Written By: Frank on 09/18/09 at 12:32 pm

The early Led Zeppelin albums (I and II andn maybe even III but I think Immigrant songs charted), Velvet Underground albums. Early Genesis albums were much better than the later ones that charted singles (I'm thinking of "Selling England by the pound", "Trick of the tail", and such) 
Early Supertramp albums ( before "Breakfast in America")

Written By: danootaandme on 09/18/09 at 4:27 pm

The White Album - The Beatles

Written By: Paul on 09/24/09 at 3:38 am

The White Album - The Beatles

You could add almost any Beatle album to that list!

Back in 1976, legendary pub-rockers Dr. Feelgood had a British #1 album with 'Stupidity' without the aid of a hit single!

And the debut album by The Christians did quite well despite none of its five singles breaking the top 10...

Written By: EthanM on 09/26/09 at 12:06 pm

I think any album without a hit single that did well should be part of this discussion, since service attempt or not album sales tend to be fueled by the popularity of their singles.

Check for new replies or respond here...