inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who ARE these people!!!

Written By: KKay on 09/22/09 at 11:14 pm

There is a commercial for some phone...Whoopie Goldberg passes it on to two other folks....I have no idea who they are.

have you noticed that SOOOO many people are famous these days..and when you watch tv or commrecials you have no idea who all these people are?

Do you ever look at fashion galleries, like the one from the last Emmy's?
I have no idea who these people are.

Anyone else feel this way?

Subject: Re: Who ARE these people!!!

Written By: Tam on 09/23/09 at 12:24 am

Whoopi passes to Phil Jackson, who passes to Jessie James.

Phil Jackson - current coach of the NBA team the LA Lakers
Jessie James - married to Sandra Bullock and had his own tv show/business called West Coast Choppers.

But I do get what you mean about not knowing celebs anymore. Half of them even The Son has no idea who they are! And all these young ones keep getting younger!!

Written By: KKay on 09/23/09 at 7:19 am

I knew Phil looked familiar.    do you think all this celebrity going aruond means we all have to make a name in order to do anything?  Was David Byrne right in saying that in the future, everyone will be famous?????

Written By: woops on 09/23/09 at 10:14 am

I'm not familiar with majority of the celebs...except the ones that are constantly overexposed

Written By: snozberries on 09/23/09 at 6:04 pm

Jesse James was also on the last celeb apprentice. He did quite. He could've gotten to the finale if he'd
cashed in on some of his wife's contacts.

I will tell you what bugs me about the ad.
Whoopi is pretty vocal about not liking cell phones.
She doesn't have an answering machine/voicemail at home
because she thinks if you don't get her the first time you should have to call back.
She doesn't like that you can get a hold of anytime of day so she doesn't really use a cell. She has one but only family has the number. She rarely turns it on.
She doesn't like email she prefers letters
she doesn't tweet, book or space.

So why is she doing an ad for a cell phone? 

Written By: statsqueen on 09/24/09 at 3:11 pm

Jesse James was also on the last celeb apprentice. He did quite. He could've gotten to the finale if he'd

because she thinks if you don't get her the first time you should have to call back.
She doesn't like that you can get a hold of anytime of day so she doesn't really use a cell. She has one but only family has the number. She rarely turns it on.

Things that make you go "hmmmmmmm"  ::)

Don't know the answer to that rhetorical question, but am not surprised that you know all that  ;)

Written By: gibbo on 09/24/09 at 4:13 pm

Because she probably respects that others do not apply the same rules. I have exactly the same attitude to communication (almost exactly...I don't even do letters)...but if someone offered me money to do an ad...I wouldn't hesitate to do it!  It's not a moral issue...so no problems really.

Written By: Gis on 10/06/09 at 6:29 am

I buy a magazine every week to indulge in some delicious, scurrilous gossip and admire some amazing, and or hideous frocks. I am starting not to know half of the people featured, which is probably a good thing really............... 

Written By: danootaandme on 10/06/09 at 6:54 am

I knew Phil looked familiar.    do you think all this celebrity going aruond means we all have to make a name in order to do anything?  Was David Byrne right in saying that in the future, everyone will be famous?????

Andy Warhol said it first. 

"In the future, everyone will be world-famous for 15 minutes."

Written By: ninny on 10/06/09 at 8:27 am

Jessie James - married to Sandra Bullock and had his own tv show/business called West Coast Choppers.

But I do get what you mean about not knowing celebs anymore. Half of them even The Son has no idea who they are! And all these young ones keep getting younger!!

Thanks I didn't know who the last person was.

Written By: KKay on 10/06/09 at 12:25 pm

Andy Warhol said it first. 

"In the future, everyone will be world-famous for 15 minutes."

Yes, but Byrne left off the "15 minutes" part.  Just that everyone will be famous.  And it's like that now.

Written By: coqueta83 on 10/06/09 at 7:19 pm

I don't recognize a lot of people on television or magazines anymore, either. 

Written By: ninny on 10/07/09 at 6:24 am

I see they have a new commercial with Chevy Chase,Dana Carvey and I haven't figured out the other 2 people.

Written By: KKay on 10/07/09 at 7:50 am

I buy a magazine every week to indulge in some delicious, scurrilous gossip and admire some amazing, and or hideous frocks. I am starting not to know half of the people featured, which is probably a good thing really............... 

Oh! Gis!
This is one of the things that made me begin this conversation.  I LOOOOVE best/worst dressed, especially after an awards show.  I go through the online
galleries and wonder "who are you?"...  AND the dresses are oftn awful. :-)

Written By: Tam on 10/07/09 at 10:49 am

I see they have a new commercial with Chevy Chase,Dana Carvey and I haven't figured out the other 2 people.

They are all SNL alums. Molly Shannon is the one woman but the other I haven't been able to figure out yet! ;)

Written By: snozberries on 10/07/09 at 10:52 am

They are all SNL alums. Molly Shannon is the one woman but the other I haven't been able to figure out yet! ;)

Haven't seen it yet but I'll look for it... I still watch SNL every week.....and hate myself every single time. They only have one and half funny skits but I keep hoping it'll change.

Written By: Tam on 10/07/09 at 10:57 am

I have only briefly caught the commercial, and I recognized Shannon... it isn't on youtube yet either and tmobile hasn't updated their page to reflect it.

Haven't seen it yet but I'll look for it... I still watch SNL every week.....and hate myself every single time. They only have one and half funny skits but I keep hoping it'll change.

I haven't watched SNL in a lifetime. Ever since the writing went to crap in the 90's, I can't be bothered with the show. Even when Duran Duran was on a couple years ago, I dvr'd it and skimmed through to their performance.

Written By: snozberries on 10/07/09 at 10:59 am

I have only briefly caught the commercial, and I recognized Shannon... it isn't on youtube yet either and tmobile hasn't updated their page to reflect it.

I haven't watched SNL in a lifetime. Ever since the writing went to crap in the 90's, I can't be bothered with the show. Even when Duran Duran was on a couple years ago, I dvr'd it and skimmed through to their performance.

it was good a few years ago when Tina Fey was head writer....went to crap under Seth Meyers ('cept for the Sarah Palin stuff) and the ep from last season with Justin Timberlake.

Written By: ninny on 10/07/09 at 11:49 am

I thought maybe they were from SNL.

Written By: Marian on 10/09/09 at 1:18 pm

I woul;d say Phil Jackson currently has local fame.

Written By: whistledog on 10/09/09 at 9:42 pm

It all depends on how knowledgable you are on today's media: music, movies and TV stars and shows.  Yesterdays celebrities that we all knew are slowly being replaced by these hot newcomers.

♦ In the September 2009 issue of 'Playboy Magazine', Heidi Montag is on the cover.  I glanced through it wondering who the hell she is.  Apparently she is on 'The Hills', a teen show that I don't watch, have never watched, and probably never will watch. 

It's different for everyone though.  It depends on what you like.  I listen to a Welsh band called Manic Street Preachers.  I had one of their CDs at work one day and one of my co-workers noticed it and asked me why I listen to bands that no one has ever heard of before.  He had a CD by Avenged Sevenfold, a band I had never heard of, so I asked him the same question LOL

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/09/09 at 11:54 pm

So in the last photo (on the phone or whatever they are advertising) Jesse James shows a picture of him and a Japanese guy sticking their tongues out at the camera.  Who is the Japanese man?  Is that Mr. Miogi from Karate Kid?  I'm pretty clueless.

Written By: snozberries on 10/11/09 at 9:39 pm

So in the last photo (on the phone or whatever they are advertising) Jesse James shows a picture of him and a Japanese guy sticking their tongues out at the camera.  Who is the Japanese man?  Is that Mr. Miogi from Karate Kid?  I'm pretty clueless.

Its not Pat Morita...but I don't know who it is...

the SNL ad is

Chevy Chase
Molly Shannon
Dana Carvey
Darryl Hammond

Written By: Tam on 10/11/09 at 9:43 pm

Darryl Hammond

Thanks Darlin'
It has been bugging me! :D

Written By: snozberries on 10/11/09 at 9:44 pm

Thanks Darlin'
It has been bugging me! :D

It took me this long to see the commercial...apparently I had to watch SNL to find  it  ;D

Written By: ninny on 10/12/09 at 12:42 pm

Its not Pat Morita...but I don't know who it is...

the SNL ad is

Chevy Chase
Molly Shannon
Dana Carvey
Darryl Hammond

Written By: nally on 10/12/09 at 12:44 pm

the SNL ad is

Chevy Chase
Molly Shannon
Dana Carvey
Darryl Hammond

Ah yes, I knew I recognized the woman, but for some reason I couldn't place her name at first.

Written By: KKay on 10/14/09 at 11:52 am

^ she's always hit or miss...not consistently funny

Written By: snozberries on 10/14/09 at 1:57 pm

^ she's always hit or miss...not consistently funny

Mary Catherine Gallagher is a great character for a skit but not so much for feature film.

Written By: KKay on 10/15/09 at 1:54 pm

Mary Catherine Gallagher is a great character for a skit but not so much for feature film.

right.  I feel bad when a good character dies due to a bad film.

Written By: BrandyBlue on 10/29/09 at 1:58 pm

I think Andy Warhol was right, and it's not a great thing  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/bigcry.gif ANYONE can be famous now, and I don't know or care who most of them are.  The good thing is, I'm not especially sexy or talented, so I should be able to get my own reality show, sex tape and phone commercial.  I'll buy coffee for ya'll when I get the check...

Check for new replies or respond here...