inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Stephen King books / Stephen King movies discuss what they got right or wrong.

Written By: snozberries on 10/28/09 at 7:59 pm

inspired  by this post

I am a die-hard "Stand Junkie" and I have read it over and over.

First, I love Stephen King. I'm a native Mainer and like most native Mainers who spent a lot of time hanging out in Bangor, ME, I've met him a couple of times. He's an absolute sweetheart of a weirdo and we're proud of the guy.

That being said, he has GOT to quit letting people make movies out of his books, because they DON'T GET IT RIGHT!!!!

OH, "The Stand" miniseries almost KILLED me. I was yellin' at the TV  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/09/schuss.gif

Carrie is the only film I think of they really got right...

no offense to Jack Torrance but I the Shining totally bored me.

granted I haven't seen all the films or read all the books so maybe someone can educate me.

Subject: Re: Stephen King books / Stephen King movies discuss what they got right or wrong.

Written By: BrandyBlue on 10/29/09 at 1:53 pm

inspired  by this post

Carrie is the only film I think of they really got right...

no offense to Jack Torrance but I the Shining totally bored me.

granted I haven't seen all the films or read all the books so maybe someone can educate me.

Carrie stayed a lot closer to the book than most of the others. "Cujo" wasn't even close. "The Green Mile" was almost Disneyesque by comparison.

I know his books are gory and tend to be detail heavy, so there is no way they would be able to get EVERYTHING  in there but so many of these are so watered down and inaccurate in contrast to the books they come from... >:(

"The Shining"...on the fence about that one. It really lacked any surprises.  I would love to see Johnny Depp do that movie up right!!!

Subject: Re: Stephen King books / Stephen King movies discuss what they got right or wrong.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/29/09 at 4:53 pm

I am a fan of Stephen King in his early days, and with The Green Mile, but his books got way too long.  He was a master when he made it short and sweet.

Subject: Re: Stephen King books / Stephen King movies discuss what they got right or wron

Written By: Jessica on 10/29/09 at 5:23 pm

I am a fan of Stephen King in his early days, and with The Green Mile, but his books got way too long.  He was a master when he made it short and sweet.

I'd agree with that.  My most cherished book is an old battered copy of his "Skeleton Crew" (short stories).  The first story in it ("The Mist") still creeps me the hell out.  They really messed up the movie though.  :P

Subject: Re: Stephen King books / Stephen King movies discuss what they got right or wron

Written By: snozberries on 10/29/09 at 5:26 pm

I'd agree with that.  My most cherished book is an old battered copy of his "Skeleton Crew" (short stories).  The first story in it ("The Mist") still creeps me the hell out.  They really messed up the movie though.  :P

really-- I didn't read the mist and I really liked the movie....was the ending the same at least?

Written By: Jessica on 10/29/09 at 5:27 pm

really-- I didn't read the mist and I really liked the movie....was the ending the same at least?

Nope.

Written By: snozberries on 10/29/09 at 5:28 pm

Nope.

guess I'm gonna have to go get that book.... tomorrow I think... 

Written By: whistledog on 10/29/09 at 5:30 pm

I've never read a Stephen King book, so I can't compare if the films were better than the books, but I absolutely loved the movie 'Dreamcatcher'

Written By: snozberries on 10/29/09 at 5:31 pm

I've never read a Stephen King book, so I can't compare if the films were better than the books, but I absolutely loved the movie 'Dreamcatcher'

the only thing I didn't like about the few books I did read is that he seems to give up towards the end and go in weird direction...

Written By: loki 13 on 10/29/09 at 5:46 pm

Agreed, The Mist is my favorite King story but the movie was a huge disappointment. Another of my favorites was also a short story in
the same book, I think, called The Raft. It was made into a movie short but I don't remember which series of shorts it was in. It was
damn close to the book version but then again, the whole story is about kids standing on a platform in the middle of a lake, kind of hard to
stray from that.

Written By: snozberries on 10/29/09 at 6:09 pm

Agreed, The Mist is my favorite King story but the movie was a huge disappointment. Another of my favorites was also a short story in
the same book, I think, called The Raft. It was made into a movie short but I don't remember which series of shorts it was in. It was
damn close to the book version but then again, the whole story is about kids standing on a platform in the middle of a lake, kind of hard to
stray from that.

I'm definitely looking for that book tomorrow...

Written By: snozberries on 10/29/09 at 6:14 pm

are we there yet? this is much harder than I remembered!

Written By: karen on 10/29/09 at 6:26 pm

are we there yet? this is much harder than I remembered!

I think you're uberposting in the wrong thread!

We use Netflix instant view over the computer sometimes

Written By: snozberries on 10/29/09 at 6:27 pm

see I'm out of practice... at least I did it in my own thread so I don't care  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 10/29/09 at 6:33 pm

see I'm out of practice... at least I did it in my own thread so I don't care  Grin

Written By: Jessica on 10/29/09 at 6:48 pm

stray from that.

"The Raft" is part of "Creepshow 2".  I love the Creepshow movies.  They're so tacky and fun. ;D

Written By: snozberries on 10/29/09 at 7:07 pm

"The Raft" is part of "Creepshow 2".  I love the Creepshow movies.  They're so tacky and fun. ;D

saw the first one but not the second..

Written By: coqueta83 on 10/29/09 at 7:12 pm

"Carrie" is my favorite, of course.  :D

The only other movies I've seen adapted from Stephen King novels are "The Dead Zone" and "IT". 

Written By: loki 13 on 10/29/09 at 8:16 pm

I do too, like the one with the Hitchhiker that gets hit by a car. Through the whole short he torments the
lady who hit him. I crack up every time the zombie guy says, "Thanks for the ride lady."

Written By: whistledog on 10/29/09 at 8:53 pm

One of his short stories called 'The Cat From Hell' is a part of the great 1990 flick 'Tales From the Darkside: The Movie'.  I just picked that movie up on DVD yesterday

Written By: danootaandme on 10/30/09 at 7:30 am

I loved his Bachman book Running Man

Written By: snozberries on 10/30/09 at 9:52 am

I loved his Bachman book Running Man

that movie was horrible tho!  ;D

Written By: Tam on 11/01/09 at 12:42 am

that movie was horrible tho!  ;D

The movie came nowhere near close to the book. Same as The Lawnmower Man. 8-P

There is only one movie I believe they got right - even the ending, and that was The Shawshank Redemption. It was perfect imho.

Dreamcatcher was great too. A few changes, but definitely close.

Book wise, my fav King is Thinner. The movie sucked!
And like I have said before, I used to love his writing, but anymore, he tends to write too descriptive for me, which draws out the length of the book and begins to bore me. I think Danoota said it once - now you can tell he gets paid by the word. ;)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/03/09 at 12:29 pm

I liked the original The Shining, alot, Jack Nicholson was great as Jack Torreance, he totaly nailed the desperation, need for the part.

Steven Weber, who was the remake, and supposivly closer to charecter in the book, was beyond bland.

Fvorite Stephen King films.

The Dead Zone

- Christopher Walken was great in the film, as Martin Sheen as the bad guy.

Carrie

-  Love the film, alot especially the ending which still creeps me out.

Creepshow

- A cheesy, but fun film.

Cujo

- An effectifly creepy film, that has lots of suspense, and still scares the crap out of me.

Christine

- A decent film, if not kind of outdated, love the use of the soundtrack in the film, though.

Stand by Me

- One of my favorite films, of all time.

Pet Sematary

- A very creepy film, and depressing film, but still one of my favorites.

The Shawshank Redemption

- Another really great film.

Apt Pupil

- A hard to watch movie, but still pretty good.

Misery

- Love this movie, alot.

The Green Mile

- Ran longer than it should have, but still a good film.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/03/09 at 12:37 pm

The ok films.....

Salem's Lot

- It was ok, but kind of blah.

Firestarter

- A decent film, but kind of abit cheesy.

Cat's Eye

- It had it's moments.

Silver Bullet

-  Ok, but abit iffy on the effects department.

The Running Man

- A cheesy, but kind of ok film.

Tales from the Darkside: The Movie

- Not bad, but not great either.

Sleepwalkers

- An ok film, but however I still think that main actress, in the film, was kind of hot.

The Dark Half

- It was ok, but could have been better.

Needful Things

- Decent, but could have been also alot better.

Dolores Claiborne

- Not bad, but not great either.

Secret Window

- Ok, but I have seen better.

-  Not bad, but not great.

The Mist

- Ditto.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/03/09 at 12:41 pm

The bad....

Maximum Overdrive /Creepshow 2

-  Great for a really cheesy film fix, but not much more than that.

Children of the Corn

- A film that should be remade, with a bigger budget, and a better director.

Graveyard Shift

- Worse film, ever.

Thinner

-  Disappointing, to say the least.

Dreamcatcher

- Wow, this film, sucks.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/03/09 at 12:45 pm

The TV movies.

- It/ The Stand

- Love alot, probally two of my favorite made for TV films.

Sometimes They Come Back

- Blah.

Tommyknockers

- Just ok, but not great.

The Langoliers

- Double blah.

Storm of The Century

-  Also could have been better.

The Shining/Carrie

- No comment.

Desperation

- Triple blah.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/04/09 at 5:53 am

THE GREEN MILE ...... BRILLIANT!!!.....

The Green Mile book and movie were both very, very,good.  I loved the way it was put out in serial form.  

Check for new replies or respond here...